Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews

Great once you get in
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 17, 2017
With Illinois being in financial strain it is hard to get a job but once you are in you have good opportunity to advance through the ranks in your positions ladder.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Pay
Good place to work.
Paid Undergraduate Fisheries Biology Researcher (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2017
A large beautiful campus and night life is available to workers and students. The community as a whole is enjoyable and the school hours are all flexible for workers and students.
Student Worker
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2017
I was a student worker. I liked it. Its easy, flexible and they really work with students well. If you're a student, I would recommend working here. That's all
Good place to study
IT Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 13, 2017
Good place to study
Research and development work is great.
great lab and class facilities to showcase talent.
Enjoyable part of the job is its so cool,
not a standard place
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 20, 2017
ECE department pays you less while you have to work twice. For same amount of TA you have to take twice number of class then other departments. Previously it was 10 hrs per subject of TA, now they made it 5 hrs.
Needs improvement
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Every racists and bad management needs to be looked into minorities get treated like nobody I am pleased with this cpany your laid off more than working
educative and friendly workplace
University Archives Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale Illinois USADecember 21, 2016
going to work daily from 8.30 to 4.30. starting with opening the doors and turning on computers, then starting resuming regular daily works helping researchers and students.
Pros
friendly and educative
Cons
sensitive
A good place to work, and lots of nice, kind colleagues in this univeristy
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 7, 2016
I love this university. The view of this place is very nice, there are many trees and lakes in this area. I learned a lot from this university regarding to the research skills and ideas.
A wonderful place to learn and work.
Assistant Curator/ Exhibit Designer and Preparator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 13, 2016
Southern Illinois University is a wonderful place to learn and work. As compared to other campuses it is a close knit community where most staff and students know each other in their respective areas of research : i.e. department and or major.
Pros
Everything is within walking distance no need to use a car, Mild winters and overall an affordable area to live.
Cons
Many students on campus that are drunk or on drugs; however that can be said of any college campus.
great place to be.
Wood/ Metal shop Technician, Design Dept. (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 20, 2016
Doing what you love is always a plus. Getting to educate while doing it is even better. Getting a masters degree while doing it is a very interesting task.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 13, 2016
Working at SIU Carbondale was one of most joyous times being educated, and also was an exhilarating momment of my teaching career. I was able to learn many traditional trades from wood workers, glass makers, and crafters.
Great work experience, but...
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 3, 2016
The job offered the learning experience I desired and opportunity to study a field I found interesting, but the job was too short lived to contribute or gain anything significant. The "budget crisis" in Illinois led the university to cut the undergraduate research assistant program, among other cuts. Aside from that, communication was a little weak from the coworkers.
Pros
Good pay, potential to grow, potential to contribute
Cons
Little interaction with coworkers
Very Supportive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 17, 2016
It was Great to work for the SIU research Park. Doing and learning lot of innovative things With great positive and Supportive environment and the co -workers to work with.It was very tuff to start with the new project and the Being the only programmer the whole work load was on me . But the Manager has supported me and trusted me most importantly believed in me. The mere satisfaction of completing the project and restoring the faith those who believed me was the best part of the job.
Good staff, forward thinking
Facilities Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2016
Helpful administrative staff. Always willing to listen and work with students to see what they can improve upon to make the work easier for us and make the process smoother. Forward thinking administrative staff, trying to grow and improve the department.
Pros
Chance for improvement and growth
Cons
Repetition
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2016
Data collection/analysis upon creation of research protocol. I learned how to properly execute research and publish papers. A great learning experience overall.
Good Place for Growth
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 28, 2016
Southern was a good place for personal and professional growth. I had a great time getting to know people from all around the world.
good place to work
Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 19, 2016
They are a great university and i love that they allow students to work when they are not in class my department works around my class schedule and it is just awesome!
Research Labs at SIUC
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Working in a research lab at SIUC was a very educational experience. I learned a tremendous amount of laboratory skills while I was there.
Pros
wide variety of lab skills
Academic Counselor
Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at work includes scheduled and impromptu counseling sessions with students to discuss academic, personal, career and crisis needs. Researching scholarships, community resources and academic resources to help aid students in being successful at SIU and in Carbondale, IL. Collaborating with colleagues and other college personnel in providing unparalleled services to students served. Answering switchboard, creating and responding to email, maintaining and updating confidential records and case management files.
Pros
Meeting the needs of students
Good Learning Experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 15, 2015
I have improved my teaching while being an instructor at SIUC. My colleagues have given me many suggestions. It is not easy to make sure all students can understand the subject (Statistics) I teach. I am trying my best to adjust the pace and help my students as much as I can.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2