Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Good environment good people
Student Telecounselor for Undergraduate (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901September 10, 2017
The call center was seemingly like any normal job I've had when I applied. I had gotten an in with the company the same way I've gotten every other job in my life, a friend on the inside.
Pros
Very flexible hours
Cons
No windows for natural light
I needed money for college books.
Dining Services (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 25, 2017
I made sure the food was available to the clients. I cleaned the dining hall and my working station. I learned a lot about how to prepare mass amounts of food. I also learned customer service skills.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
The clients did not like to leave for us to clean up and go back to the dorms.
New Product Development
New Product Development Teacher (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 15, 2017
Class covered a wide range of skills used in product development. We traveled to three major manufacturing plants to observe the process and gain understanding. Class included 3-4 projects. Students used SolidWorks and rendering software.
Pros
Class rooms are new and clean
Cons
City is small
I loved my job, I hate that the contract ended due to State budget cuts.
Tracking Faculty (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 6, 2017
I enjoyed working within this company, work was awesome as well as my supervisor. We worked as a team and knew what the other one needed and just did it without asking.
Pros
Awesome place to work.
Cons
Contract ended
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 5, 2017
It helped to know what we need to understand to motivate student to do better. I learnt the how to get their best performance. It also help me to understand management skills.
Productive workplace with nice benefits
Intramural Referee (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 1, 2017
It was a great company to work for, i enjoyed every minute of working for the rec. They made my stay at college fun with the chance to make money and have fun doing it. Also developed life skills that now makes me a better person.
Pros
Fast shifts, Easy money, Fun at work
It's a nice place for student to work.
Student Employee (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901May 19, 2017
If you want extra money in your pockets, then it's the place to work. They don't pay students to work over 20 hours or financial aid fires you. It's a lot of work (depending on where you work) for little pay.
Productive and challenging environment.
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 7, 2017
Working at SIUC has allowed me to grow both as an individual and as a scientist. It provided constant challenges along with an overwhelmingly supportive environment.
Very laid back job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 29, 2017
enjoyed working there. hardest part was getting off late and going home to do homework while spending 15 hours on campus. there really was not a part of the job that was enjoyable.
Pros
no taxes
Cons
short breaks
Great learning opportunity
Lab Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 25, 2017
Under the advisement of university professor. Opportunity to work with large funded projects. Interact with professionals within the aerospace field. Travel to conference to present experimental findings
Pros
Flexible hours, learning opportunity, position advancement
Cons
Long Hours
Great once you get in
Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 17, 2017
With Illinois being in financial strain it is hard to get a job but once you are in you have good opportunity to advance through the ranks in your positions ladder.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Pay
Good place to work.
Paid Undergraduate Fisheries Biology Researcher (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2017
A large beautiful campus and night life is available to workers and students. The community as a whole is enjoyable and the school hours are all flexible for workers and students.
Student Worker
Student Worker (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2017
I was a student worker. I liked it. Its easy, flexible and they really work with students well. If you're a student, I would recommend working here. That's all
Good place to study
IT Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 13, 2017
Good place to study
Research and development work is great.
great lab and class facilities to showcase talent.
Enjoyable part of the job is its so cool,
not a standard place
Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 20, 2017
ECE department pays you less while you have to work twice. For same amount of TA you have to take twice number of class then other departments. Previously it was 10 hrs per subject of TA, now they made it 5 hrs.
Needs improvement
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Every racists and bad management needs to be looked into minorities get treated like nobody I am pleased with this cpany your laid off more than working
educative and friendly workplace
University Archives Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale Illinois USADecember 21, 2016
going to work daily from 8.30 to 4.30. starting with opening the doors and turning on computers, then starting resuming regular daily works helping researchers and students.
Pros
friendly and educative
Cons
sensitive
A good place to work, and lots of nice, kind colleagues in this univeristy
Postdoctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 7, 2016
I love this university. The view of this place is very nice, there are many trees and lakes in this area. I learned a lot from this university regarding to the research skills and ideas.
A wonderful place to learn and work.
Assistant Curator/ Exhibit Designer and Preparator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 13, 2016
Southern Illinois University is a wonderful place to learn and work. As compared to other campuses it is a close knit community where most staff and students know each other in their respective areas of research : i.e. department and or major.
Pros
Everything is within walking distance no need to use a car, Mild winters and overall an affordable area to live.
Cons
Many students on campus that are drunk or on drugs; however that can be said of any college campus.
great place to be.
Wood/ Metal shop Technician, Design Dept. (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 20, 2016
Doing what you love is always a plus. Getting to educate while doing it is even better. Getting a masters degree while doing it is a very interesting task.