Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews in United States

Academic Counselor
Academic Counselor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 11, 2016
A typical day at work includes scheduled and impromptu counseling sessions with students to discuss academic, personal, career and crisis needs. Researching scholarships, community resources and academic resources to help aid students in being successful at SIU and in Carbondale, IL. Collaborating with colleagues and other college personnel in providing unparalleled services to students served. Answering switchboard, creating and responding to email, maintaining and updating confidential records and case management files.
Pros
Meeting the needs of students
Very Supportive Work Environment
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 17, 2016
It was Great to work for the SIU research Park. Doing and learning lot of innovative things With great positive and Supportive environment and the co -workers to work with.It was very tuff to start with the new project and the Being the only programmer the whole work load was on me . But the Manager has supported me and trusted me most importantly believed in me. The mere satisfaction of completing the project and restoring the faith those who believed me was the best part of the job.
Good staff, forward thinking
Facilities Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2016
Helpful administrative staff. Always willing to listen and work with students to see what they can improve upon to make the work easier for us and make the process smoother. Forward thinking administrative staff, trying to grow and improve the department.
Pros
Chance for improvement and growth
Cons
Repetition
Productive and enjoyable workplace.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2016
Data collection/analysis upon creation of research protocol. I learned how to properly execute research and publish papers. A great learning experience overall.
Good Place for Growth
OFFICE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 28, 2016
Southern was a good place for personal and professional growth. I had a great time getting to know people from all around the world.
good place to work
Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 19, 2016
They are a great university and i love that they allow students to work when they are not in class my department works around my class schedule and it is just awesome!
Good experience
Graduate IT Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 5, 2015
Great experience here in SIU Carbondale. Worked with Aviation Management & Flight department as a IT research assistant. Great people and staff toto work with
Would not work there again
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 24, 2015
They were supportive of there staff but had severe budget cuts and poor benefits because it is a state run school. I would not work there again.
Research Labs at SIUC
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 8, 2016
Working in a research lab at SIUC was a very educational experience. I learned a tremendous amount of laboratory skills while I was there.
Pros
wide variety of lab skills
Social workplace with plenty of down time
Desk Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 8, 2015
This job was ideal for a student such as myself. The work shift was never longer than 6 hours, and the management was very flexible when it came to schedule changes and shift coverage. The management let us workers complete school work and other activities during our work shift, The work was fairly easy. Due to the tight work space, our relationships as co workers were extremely friendly, might even be describe as a mini family. There wasn't an extremely hard aspect of the job, but there were plenty of enjoyable things. The cookouts, the movie nights, and the best thing was the relationship that were built between residents and us desk assistants.
Pros
Able to socialize, flexible scheduling, ability to complete school work at work.
Cons
No Breaks.
Good Learning Experience
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 15, 2015
I have improved my teaching while being an instructor at SIUC. My colleagues have given me many suggestions. It is not easy to make sure all students can understand the subject (Statistics) I teach. I am trying my best to adjust the pace and help my students as much as I can.
Academic peer advocate and Resident Assistant
Academic Peer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 13, 2015
Working for University Housing can be a lot of fun, but you're working constantly. Housing staff seems to take the rules more seriously than the well being of it's residents and employees
Pros
Free room and board
Cons
You live where you wrok
fun work place
Information Technology/Departmental Asst. Manager (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 3, 2015
It is a great environment to work. Helping students and employees. we have different events like a chili cook off. I can request days off when needed with no problems.
Good place
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 12, 2015
SIUC s a good college to work as a professor and researcher. I recommend it to other people interesting to work in a Illinois College.
good experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 26, 2015
this job was strictly volunteer. I taught cadaver anatomy to undergraduate students. good way to get references for graduate school. great leadership and experience
middle of nowhere
Administrative Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 14, 2015
good school and good program but the location can be a killer at times.slow durring the semester dead durring intersessions and summers. Deffenetly was not the final stop for me
Work Experience for SIUC
Internship (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 2, 2015
A typical day working at this job was doing school work in my office being offered to me and attending research meetings. I learned to keep a positive attitude while doing work and toward co workers no matter how tiring the job is. My co- workers were nice and did their jobs. My hardest part of this job is getting over the consistent labor once I am use to the flow of what is to be done in the job. My most enjoyable part of the job is making new friends and having a chance to express myself to others while I am doing my work.
Diverse
Graduate and Family Services Complex Director (Current Employee) –  SIUMay 6, 2015
Great place for interaction with a diverse population. Lots of international, graduate, undergrad, veteran, and families in this area to support and assist.
Pros
Cons
Language Barriers
Caring People and fun to work with
OFFICE ASSISTANT (VOLUNTEER) (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDJune 5, 2013
A typical day at work would include Answers incoming calls/records messages Filing confidential student paperwork,Xeroxing, Faxing and Shredding materials as needed.Assist with weekend classroom set-up/take down and any other duties as assigned. I learned how important communicating your educational needs were. The management and co-workers were always helpful. The hardest part of the job was remembering the students names and the changes to Veterans forms. The most enjoyable part of the job was preparing and participating in the graduation ceremonies.
Pros
meeting new people, great mentors and free lunches
Cons
no health care or pay
Student job that allowed me flexible hours in between classes
Internship (Former Employee) –  Marion VA hospitalAugust 27, 2012
I worked with building services throughout college for the flexibility that it allowed me. After losing part of my college football scholarship I needed a job that wouldn't interfere with my studies and duties with athletics. The work was very enjoyable, I helped maintain my professors offices while building many relationships on the job. I had an amazing experience with my co-workers as well as management. This was my first job so it taught me how to budget my money which is a useful trait that can always be used.
Pros
flexibility, co workers, enviornment
Cons
student job, no upward mobility, not related to my field

4.3