Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Review

View all Southern Illinois University Carbondale reviews

Productive day of helping assist in setting up video and audio for different events.
Audio Visual Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 15, 2012
A typical day of me working as a Audio Video Technician would be me coming in on a set time and date (excluding my building shift) due to scheduled events that were arranged on the calendar. I would then assist the host or coordinator in fulfilling their request for audio or visual and foresee the event to the very end. Therefore I would undo any work that was done prior.

What I learned was mostly about sound and visual. How sound travels, how to adjust sound levels, how to feed certain inputs into different mic lines and how to manage certain visual affects.

Usual the job only requires one person to get whats needed done but there are cases where there is a big events that requires more then one person's help. My co-workers consisted of fellow students that attend college as well.
Pros
schedule revolved around me, and very friendly environment.
Cons
not as many hours, and late shifts.

Other Southern Illinois University Carbondale Employee Reviews

Interesting Work, Relaxed Environment (sometimes), Nice People, but Poorly Managed.
Research Technician (Fisheries, Aquaculture) (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 1, 2018
I worked for The Center for Fisheries, Aquaculture, and Aquatic Sciences as a student worker, then as a research technician post graduation. The work itself was fascinating and very fulfilling. The other technicians/researchers, graduate students, and student workers were great to work with.

The work I performed was hard. I spent many long days working on the river sampling fish and retrieving/deploying equipment. Yet despite going home or to a hotel room tired, sore, filthy, and stinking of fish, I felt good about what I was doing and I really enjoyed the job.

The biggest problems I saw were with the management. It was very unorganized and with funding being reliant on grants, it was often difficult to accomplish tasks in a timely manner. Also, tasks were usually performed with equipment that was in need of repair. Still, we were always able to make due with what we were provided and most of the people I worked with were more than competent and good at problem solving.

There were no benefits that came with the position and I was paid monthly, however I was paid well. I spent many days away from home, on the road and in a boat. We worked outside throughout the year, and were usually provided appropriate attire for the varying weather conditions.

Overall it was a great place to work, but I wouldn't recommend the work I did to anyone who doesn't appreciate getting dirty and breaking a sweat on the job.
Pros
Interesting work, generally nice people, fairly relaxed environment.
Cons
Unorganized, loosely managed, reliant on grant money.
Its a university
Clerical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 12, 2018
It was a university. Nice people. I enjoyed my time for the most part. Some days where busier than others but overall it was nice. I wish I got better pay.