Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Employee Reviews

University Setting
Professor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 13, 2017
Not bad. No raises in five years. SIUE is a fine, well-balanced place to work with the right amount of teaching to scholarship. This is a very collegial environment.
Pros
Balance
Cons
Lack of raises
great campus
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 6, 2016
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a beautiful campus with excellent benefits. The faculty and staff are pleasant. Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an excellent university for masters to help them get a very good position for work and also, PhD program,
Family friendly
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 10, 2016
Start working here when you are young. Good benefits, As long as the state of Illinois doesn't go totally broke. Great family friendly caring co-workers.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Management is poor
Fun Environment to Work At
IT Help Desk Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Working at the IT Help Desk has its on and off days. The people you work with definitly make the job much more enjoyable. Employees and management get along like they are one big family. Hardest part of the job is getting drained of taking many phone calls at peak hours but the off hours come plenty that allow one to gather their mind for a while.
Desk Manager
Desk Manager - Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 25, 2016
Southern is an Excellent Institution to work for. The staff and management are extremely friendly who always try to provide a nice work/life balanced.
Fun Work Place
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 19, 2017
With our job, we normally get to watch the game while we are working which is fun. We hardly get hours, and there is very little room for advancement.
Pros
getting to watch the games
Cons
very little hours
Had a good hands on experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 8, 2016
Had a lot of typical days.
Learned many new things on each day
Management was very friendly
Co-workers were very experienced and guided me in each and every aspect
Hardest part is the first week until I get adjusted over there to the new environment
Most enjoyable part is whenever the particular assignment given to me is full filled
Pros
free lunches, coupons, christmas gifts
Cons
nothing
Very relaxed and enjoyable
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 25, 2017
More or less got to set own schedule. As long as the needed work got done, everyone was happy. Very sociable and mostly everyone was positive and friendly.
Great working atmosphere
Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 16, 2016
I have learned to work with a diverse group of people. I believe customer service is key in promoting your business or brand, in this case, our school. As a manager, I consider myself as a stabilizer and analyzer. It is important to know your staff and make them feel that they have a vested interest. Employees who feel appreciated work harder and will give their best effort. I love the campus here at SIUE.
Pros
beautiful campus
A great place to
Departmental Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 14, 2016
I really enjoyed having the opportunity to be an instructor for the departmental tutoring division at SIUE. Having the chance to share my knowledge, inspire other students to succeed, and creating supplemental instruction were all fulfilling aspects. The schedule was very flexible, and the pay was decent for an hourly role.
Pros
Flexible hours, student culture, management
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 7, 2016
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
Some faculty and staff are challenging to work with
Great job on campus
HISTORY DEPARTMENT STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 23, 2013
The best part about being a student worker on my college campus, was that they were always willing to work around my schedule, and it was usually hard to be late for work. I spent a lot of time entering data into a new and updated system and engaging with staff and students alike as questions came up. The worst part about this position was that I was the only student working in my department, and often spent time alone in a large room sifting through files. It was hard work, but I often got small raises and the staff took care of me.
Very enjoyable
Accounts Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 6, 2012
The atmosphere in our department, and on campus is very enjoyable. Everyone in the Accounting Department is hard working and diligent in their responsibilities.
Pros
wonderful benefits
Cons
low wages compared to industry standards
Excellent environment for knowledge workers
Human Resource Officer (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 19, 2013
Great work environment. Supportive of personal values. Great staff and benefits.
Loved working for my University
Model (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 31, 2016
My job was very demanding physically as you might expect, but it was a very pleasing and respectful work environment. I loved working with the students to help them with their art, and I was able to take breaks whenever I needed.
Pros
Good pay, breaks as needed, respectful environment
Cons
Drafty rooms, cold cement floor
Active workplace with very nice people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Starting a day with super nice people and working with them along a week was awesome in SIUE, I was a teaching assistant, so I was teaching in different lab. classes. During this time I have learned how to be patient and to keep myself motivated during a class, because in my classes I had different type of students, some of them were really interested to learn and some were not, so I had to help all of them to learn and to keep them interested in course staff, so I was trying different ways, to manage them to be more interested for learning. If I couldn`t find a way to do that, I would ask my co-workers who all were very helpful and open-minded people. Maybe the hardest part of my job was interacting with students that it was their first time being in the lab and it was a little strange for them to obey working in the lab rules, and it took time to teach them to just respect the rules because all these rules are for their safety and health. And again the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with different people everyday and not having a monotones life.
Student Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 12, 2016
Didn't pay great but had great people. Professors in the physics department are of the highest caliber. Would recommend.
Excellent University
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 25, 2016
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an excellent university, has educated and keeps educating people for the true benefit of the world.
Pros
Peaceful Environment
Cons
Attached to state of Illinois
Patty's Everyday Tasks
Secretary IV (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILMay 9, 2015
My daily tasks included typing and reviewing grant documents.
• Preparing vacation and sick leave reports.
• Maintaining monthly calendar for directors and supporting staff.
• Completing daily and monthly food reports.

It was my job to proudly represent the department, as we would communicate with the public, staff and students each and every day. I worked with a wonderful staff of 4 directors and 3 assistant directors, who would come to me often when they needed special projects done and they knew I would complete them to their satisfaction.

My most enjoyable job was doing desk-top publishing making brochures, banners, booklets, etc. However, it was sometimes a little stressful because there were deadlines and I had to be sure the designs, format, and information were accurate and completed by the due date.
Pros
Positive work environment
Best place to work at!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Math DepartmentJanuary 14, 2013
SIUE provides a friendly atmosphere for all employees including Teaching Assistants like myself. There are available resources to help prepare for classes. Professors and departmental staffs also assist you in times of challenges. I learnt and adopted the skills to use different statistical applications and also improved my presentation skills. My co- Teaching Assistants were friendly and always willing to share ideas. The hardest part of the job is the ability to learn and teach new things, as we were assigned to different courses each semester. But, I always enjoyed the departmental potlucks, which gave us the opportunity to relax and socialize.
Pros
presents the opportunity to learn and cover different course materials

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6