Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Employee Reviews

Active workplace with very nice people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Starting a day with super nice people and working with them along a week was awesome in SIUE, I was a teaching assistant, so I was teaching in different lab. classes. During this time I have learned how to be patient and to keep myself motivated during a class, because in my classes I had different type of students, some of them were really interested to learn and some were not, so I had to help all of them to learn and to keep them interested in course staff, so I was trying different ways, to manage them to be more interested for learning. If I couldn`t find a way to do that, I would ask my co-workers who all were very helpful and open-minded people. Maybe the hardest part of my job was interacting with students that it was their first time being in the lab and it was a little strange for them to obey working in the lab rules, and it took time to teach them to just respect the rules because all these rules are for their safety and health. And again the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with different people everyday and not having a monotones life.
Challenging Academic Setting
Undergraduate Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 1, 2014
Gaining knowledge of the techniques utilized by molecular biologists in the academic setting was the overall goal of the experience. A typical day consists of performing tedious experiments in the laboratory, while keeping daily recordings of the procedures used. Results and conclusions were later drawn from the data collected and presented on a poster. Learning how to present scientific data in front of an audience was a great way for me to improve my public speaking skills. Writing a grant proposal to receive sponsorship for the project strengthened my writing and persuasive skills. Supervision for the project was scarce, leaving me to make independent decisions regarding the project. The hardest part of the job was working for the most part alone without much human interaction.The most enjoyable part was presenting my data at a conference and improving my professional public speaking.
Patty's Everyday Tasks
Secretary IV (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILMay 9, 2015
My daily tasks included typing and reviewing grant documents.
• Preparing vacation and sick leave reports.
• Maintaining monthly calendar for directors and supporting staff.
• Completing daily and monthly food reports.

It was my job to proudly represent the department, as we would communicate with the public, staff and students each and every day. I worked with a wonderful staff of 4 directors and 3 assistant directors, who would come to me often when they needed special projects done and they knew I would complete them to their satisfaction.

My most enjoyable job was doing desk-top publishing making brochures, banners, booklets, etc. However, it was sometimes a little stressful because there were deadlines and I had to be sure the designs, format, and information were accurate and completed by the due date.
Pros
Positive work environment
Best place to work at!
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Math DepartmentJanuary 14, 2013
SIUE provides a friendly atmosphere for all employees including Teaching Assistants like myself. There are available resources to help prepare for classes. Professors and departmental staffs also assist you in times of challenges. I learnt and adopted the skills to use different statistical applications and also improved my presentation skills. My co- Teaching Assistants were friendly and always willing to share ideas. The hardest part of the job is the ability to learn and teach new things, as we were assigned to different courses each semester. But, I always enjoyed the departmental potlucks, which gave us the opportunity to relax and socialize.
Pros
presents the opportunity to learn and cover different course materials
Nice and active work place with a great boss
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Science west building, SIUEApril 29, 2015
working here gives me energy of life, nice and friendly co-workers, very kind and helpful adviser and pretty well managed schedule, these are what I like about this place. Best and maybe the hardest part of job is teaching children, I teach them laboratory skills and how to work in the biology lab and at the same time I learn a lot about how to manage them, how to have them to do something without making them unsatisfied, I love working with students. I have learnt a lot since first day, I enjoy my job a lot, my students energy make me feel fresh and energetic everyday.
Things I learnt
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 15, 2013
I work Under a Professor who is mutli talented teaches technical courses has sound knowledge about Jazz music and even teaches music. I got to learn many things. He thought me the correct pronunciation in American accent. He built my confidence levels such that I gave a vote of thanks at SIUE for Indian Night-2013 and performed on stage also. I got to know why a person should know so many things. Its important to stand out from others so I learnt ORACLE 10g and CCNA because I wanted to be different from the normal Electrical Engineering student.
Great job on campus
HISTORY DEPARTMENT STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 23, 2013
The best part about being a student worker on my college campus, was that they were always willing to work around my schedule, and it was usually hard to be late for work. I spent a lot of time entering data into a new and updated system and engaging with staff and students alike as questions came up. The worst part about this position was that I was the only student working in my department, and often spent time alone in a large room sifting through files. It was hard work, but I often got small raises and the staff took care of me.
Job is depended upon renewal of contract each term.
Faculty Carbondale Regional BSN Nursing Program (Former Employee) –  SIUC Carbondale, IllinoisJuly 1, 2015
Provided great job/work balance. Enjoyed working with the nursing students teaching and guiding them through the education and training to become a registered nurse.
This job has been personally the most rewarding. I felt like I was making a positive influence and guidance to the students.
Pros
Teaching and guiding the students
Cons
Job depended upon renewal of contract each term, having classes and clinical assignments available to teach
Fun workplace
America Reads Tutor/Assistant (Former Employee) –  Christian Activity Center East St. LouisOctober 5, 2012
A typical work day consisted of assisting students grades k- 12th at the Christian Activity Center located in East St. Louis with homework when needed. After homework is complete assisted with serving lunch, activities in the gym, big room or computer lab, and serving dinner toward the end of the day. Work hours were between 3:00pm-8:00pm Monday through Friday.
Pros
improving the knowledge of students
Cons
dealing with attitudes of children and sometimes parents
Creative leadership position
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMay 19, 2013
Go to staff meetings and find out more about policies on campus. Supervisor is almost always available and is a member of the greater team. The hardest part of the job is managing my time while going to school. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to know new people and enrich relationships with acquaintances along with planning events and keeping campus safe.
Pros
free housing, flexible work environment
Cons
minimum wage
Small and nice school with good research opportunities
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 5, 2015
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (SIUE) is small school with a great master's program in Civil Engineering. Graduate students get chance to perform diverse and cutting edge research work under supervision of the faculty. The faculty members are very helpful and friendly.
Pros
Lower Tuition, good research oppotunity
Cons
High mandatory fees
GREAT CREATIVE WORKING ENVIRONMENT FOR MEDIA PROMOTIONS AND ADVERTISEMENT
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 7, 2012
GREAT ENTRY-LEVEL POSITION

RECEIVE DAILY PROMTIONS FROM VARIOUS DEPARTMENTS WITHIN THE UNIVERSITY

CONCEPTUALIZE AND CREATE PROMOTIONS FOR THE DURATION OF THE WORK DAY

COLLABORATION WITH OTHER GRAPHIC DESIGNERS AND SOCIAL MEDIA SPECIALISTS
Pros
great co-workers (creative team), flexibility, teamwork
Cons
pay
good steady student work
IT Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 25, 2013
I worked at SIUE as a student worker for four years and enjoyed the relaxing work environment. In charge of over 100 computers, the job of an ITS student worker was at times fast pace but if you have a good grasp of the intricacies of Hardware and Software components the job is easily manageable.
Pros
lots of time to work on homework
Cons
when it gets busy it is rough.
Great work environment for a graduate student
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 11, 2013
I worked for multiple departments at SIUE as a graduate assistant. I enjoyed all of the positions which I filled. I frequently interacted with professors and staff members who worked hard and who treated me well. If you attend SIUE as a graduate student, I recommend working in at least one graduate assistant position.
Overall positive, low drama environment
Community Director (Current Employee) –  University HousingSeptember 18, 2012
SIUE is a progressive University looking to expand, so if you're interested in getting some good experience with new areas of the university this could be a good place for you. Upper-level management is great, co-workers are intelligent overall, and the job allows for ample time-off and sick leave as necessary.
Good office for Research andTeaching Assistants
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 12, 2015
The advisor is very understanding to special cases.
He is also very helpful, he will at least try to help in anything even if he has no experience with the situation.
One week is given to complete all tasks.
Co-workers are very respectful and helpful as well.
Great Learning atmosphere
Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 1, 2015
SIUE is an excellent school environment where many people of different backgrounds can come together and work harmoniously in a safe environment. The overall community was strong and interconnected, with many people coming together to work as one.
Great University
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Department of CommunicationOctober 19, 2015
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a great regional institution. From my experience there everyone is treated with tremendous respect. Moreover, the values and mission of higher education create a great environment to work in.
Good research school
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 3, 2015
Excellent experience in order to enhance research ability. SIUE provides supporter environment for students. I had the best time of my life at SIUE. My major is industrial engineering and my research is about supply chain.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 7, 2016
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a beautiful campus with excellent benefits. The faculty and staff are pleasant.
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
Some faculty and staff are challenging to work with

4.7