Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Employee Reviews

Desk Manager
Desk Manager - Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 25, 2016
Southern is an Excellent Institution to work for. The staff and management are extremely friendly who always try to provide a nice work/life balanced.
Fun Environment to Work At
IT Help Desk Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILFebruary 13, 2017
Working at the IT Help Desk has its on and off days. The people you work with definitly make the job much more enjoyable. Employees and management get along like they are one big family. Hardest part of the job is getting drained of taking many phone calls at peak hours but the off hours come plenty that allow one to gather their mind for a while.
Family friendly
Area Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 10, 2016
Start working here when you are young. Good benefits, As long as the state of Illinois doesn't go totally broke. Great family friendly caring co-workers.
Pros
Awesome co-workers
Cons
Management is poor
A great place to
Departmental Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 14, 2016
I really enjoyed having the opportunity to be an instructor for the departmental tutoring division at SIUE. Having the chance to share my knowledge, inspire other students to succeed, and creating supplemental instruction were all fulfilling aspects. The schedule was very flexible, and the pay was decent for an hourly role.
Pros
Flexible hours, student culture, management
Fun Work Place
Event Staff (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 19, 2017
With our job, we normally get to watch the game while we are working which is fun. We hardly get hours, and there is very little room for advancement.
Pros
getting to watch the games
Cons
very little hours
great campus
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILOctober 6, 2016
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is a beautiful campus with excellent benefits. The faculty and staff are pleasant. Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an excellent university for masters to help them get a very good position for work and also, PhD program,
Had a good hands on experience
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 8, 2016
Had a lot of typical days.
Learned many new things on each day
Management was very friendly
Co-workers were very experienced and guided me in each and every aspect
Hardest part is the first week until I get adjusted over there to the new environment
Most enjoyable part is whenever the particular assignment given to me is full filled
Pros
free lunches, coupons, christmas gifts
Cons
nothing
Great working atmosphere
Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 16, 2016
I have learned to work with a diverse group of people. I believe customer service is key in promoting your business or brand, in this case, our school. As a manager, I consider myself as a stabilizer and analyzer. It is important to know your staff and make them feel that they have a vested interest. Employees who feel appreciated work harder and will give their best effort. I love the campus here at SIUE.
Pros
beautiful campus
Great job on campus
HISTORY DEPARTMENT STUDENT WORKER (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 23, 2013
The best part about being a student worker on my college campus, was that they were always willing to work around my schedule, and it was usually hard to be late for work. I spent a lot of time entering data into a new and updated system and engaging with staff and students alike as questions came up. The worst part about this position was that I was the only student working in my department, and often spent time alone in a large room sifting through files. It was hard work, but I often got small raises and the staff took care of me.
Loved working for my University
Model (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 31, 2016
My job was very demanding physically as you might expect, but it was a very pleasing and respectful work environment. I loved working with the students to help them with their art, and I was able to take breaks whenever I needed.
Pros
Good pay, breaks as needed, respectful environment
Cons
Drafty rooms, cold cement floor
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 7, 2016
Pros
Good benefits and compensation
Cons
Some faculty and staff are challenging to work with
Active workplace with very nice people
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 15, 2016
Starting a day with super nice people and working with them along a week was awesome in SIUE, I was a teaching assistant, so I was teaching in different lab. classes. During this time I have learned how to be patient and to keep myself motivated during a class, because in my classes I had different type of students, some of them were really interested to learn and some were not, so I had to help all of them to learn and to keep them interested in course staff, so I was trying different ways, to manage them to be more interested for learning. If I couldn`t find a way to do that, I would ask my co-workers who all were very helpful and open-minded people. Maybe the hardest part of my job was interacting with students that it was their first time being in the lab and it was a little strange for them to obey working in the lab rules, and it took time to teach them to just respect the rules because all these rules are for their safety and health. And again the most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with different people everyday and not having a monotones life.
Student Job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 12, 2016
Didn't pay great but had great people. Professors in the physics department are of the highest caliber. Would recommend.
Excellent University
Research/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 25, 2016
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville is an excellent university, has educated and keeps educating people for the true benefit of the world.
Pros
Peaceful Environment
Cons
Attached to state of Illinois
Patty's Everyday Tasks
Secretary IV (Former Employee) –  East Saint Louis, ILMay 9, 2015
My daily tasks included typing and reviewing grant documents.
• Preparing vacation and sick leave reports.
• Maintaining monthly calendar for directors and supporting staff.
• Completing daily and monthly food reports.

It was my job to proudly represent the department, as we would communicate with the public, staff and students each and every day. I worked with a wonderful staff of 4 directors and 3 assistant directors, who would come to me often when they needed special projects done and they knew I would complete them to their satisfaction.

My most enjoyable job was doing desk-top publishing making brochures, banners, booklets, etc. However, it was sometimes a little stressful because there were deadlines and I had to be sure the designs, format, and information were accurate and completed by the due date.
Pros
Positive work environment
Overall positive, low drama environment
Community Director (Current Employee) –  University HousingSeptember 18, 2012
SIUE is a progressive University looking to expand, so if you're interested in getting some good experience with new areas of the university this could be a good place for you. Upper-level management is great, co-workers are intelligent overall, and the job allows for ample time-off and sick leave as necessary.
Great creative working environment for media promotions and advertisement
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJuly 7, 2012
Great entry-level position

Receive daily promtions from various departments within the university

Conceptualize and create promotions for the duration of the work day

Collaboration with other graphic designers and social media specialists
Pros
great co-workers (creative team), flexibility, teamwork
Cons
pay
Nice and active work place with a great boss
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Science west building, SIUEApril 29, 2015
working here gives me energy of life, nice and friendly co-workers, very kind and helpful adviser and pretty well managed schedule, these are what I like about this place. Best and maybe the hardest part of job is teaching children, I teach them laboratory skills and how to work in the biology lab and at the same time I learn a lot about how to manage them, how to have them to do something without making them unsatisfied, I love working with students. I have learnt a lot since first day, I enjoy my job a lot, my students energy make me feel fresh and energetic everyday.
Job is depended upon renewal of contract each term.
Faculty Carbondale Regional BSN Nursing Program (Former Employee) –  SIUC Carbondale, IllinoisJuly 1, 2015
Provided great job/work balance. Enjoyed working with the nursing students teaching and guiding them through the education and training to become a registered nurse.
This job has been personally the most rewarding. I felt like I was making a positive influence and guidance to the students.
Pros
Teaching and guiding the students
Cons
Job depended upon renewal of contract each term, having classes and clinical assignments available to teach
Great facility to workout and feel more a part of the university
Student Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 30, 2014
Enjoyable place to work and a great place to meet new people. Management is very understanding and know that school comes first. The schedules are flexible and work around the school schedule.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6