Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

University Environment
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 14, 2017
It's been a long time, but they were a great bunch all those years ago. Now the state of Illinois has no budget, and the University's are running out of money so people are leaving. So sad.
Pros
Exciting environment
Cons
Temporary job in a nice working place
Lecturer in Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 10, 2017
Non tenure--track lecturer position which must be renewed each year with a max 5 years limit. However, because I was writing a research paper co-authored with a professor in the Math Department, my contract got an exceptional renewal in the 6th year.
Pros
Nice working environment with friendly colleagues
Cons
Non tenure job with limited max working years
Excellent work enviornment with like-minded, goal-oriented people
Custodian/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 9, 2017
The University has excellent supervisors as well as management, that effectively communicate and lead. The work environment is comfortable and well ran.
Severe Problems with Funding
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 18, 2017
The individual departments are typically well-organized and helpful. Unfortunately, the budget crisis has meant large-scale cuts across the university, thereby making job security precarious at best. If you are considering working at SIUC--whether as full-time faculty or staff, more specifically, a graduate assistant--do make sure that your department's funding is stable.
Pros
Tuition waiver, healthcare
Cons
Job security, exorbitant student fees still apply to graduate assistants
Nice place.
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 16, 2017
Good students and faculty. Difficulties with state funding and departure of Chancellor and Dean of Business School created some issues. Regents a little too politicized.
What can I say? It was a Student Job
Student Worker - Library Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 15, 2017
You had 4 different supervisors who had their own supervisors. There definitely was a chain of command and the drama between management was felt with the employees. You got your own floor to work on so that was a plus or a minus if you don't like being alone at night in the library.
Pros
Peace and quiet while working
Cons
Drama with supervisors
good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 10, 2017
It was a good working place. I worked there as a teaching assistant tutoring college students. May major was Statistics in Mathematics.My supervisor was good.
Good Place to work
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 9, 2017
I had learnt a lot while working as a graduate assistant at SIU. I was extremely supported by the management and i was paid fairly. I feel very blessed to have worked at SIU.
Productive and fun workplace
Information Technology, New Student Programs (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2017
They know how to balance work and fun. We would get what we needed done and always find a way to add some fun into the workplace so what we were doing never seemed like a chore.
Great oppotunity as a student
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 25, 2017
assisted multiple classes as a teaching assistant. Moved into a position to teach a class on my own thanks to upper management (Chair of department). All great opportunities to build my resume.
Pros
Learning environment
Administration
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILMarch 27, 2017
Several female instructors had issues with a few students when I was there, and the administration did everything they could to support the instructors and assist them in feeling safe during instruction.
Pros
Excellent administration and amazing faculty
Cons
Low pay for adjunct faculty
Not worth it
StrengthsQuest Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 20, 2017
SIU is not located near a big city and Carbondale doesn't have anything else in it besides SIU, SIU does not seem to care about the faculty or staff and as a result, there is a lot of turnover.
Fun Place to Work
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 16, 2017
SIU is a great place to work for the students. Students can receive federal work study. The employer understand the balance between school, life, and work.
Its was a great atmosphere
I am a very detailed cleaner (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 9, 2017
I enjoyed working for my school and my peers. Everyone had nice attitudes and great vibes. Employees were well respected and team members worked together to complete the tasks on time.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Short breaks
Good Graduate school, sinking university
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 6, 2017
I have enjoyed my education in the graduate school, and working at SIUC. The people here are very nice. The people at SIUC are the main reason to come here. BUT...

SIUC is suffering from the weight of an infrastructure capable of handling 23,000 students being supported by 15,000 students. Most blame the financial trouble at the university on the state withholding funds. This is like a terminally ill patient complaining about a paper cut. Graduate student contracts are one semester long. This makes committing to a two to four-year graduate program haphazard at best. If you have a fully funded offer for another school, you would be wise to accept it.
Biased and discrimianted work place
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  ReasercherFebruary 20, 2017
This work was a project for graduate school. I don't feel that I gained any valuable working experience. Also the institution did not provide any job replacement.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
No real experience
Best student job at SIU
Student Employee (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 15, 2017
This job is wonderful for students who want a good job where they can stay physically active and gain a hands on feel for the wonderful Campus at SIU.
Pros
Felxiblity
January 2017 Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 7, 2017
I worked as an assistant to set up equipment needed for class and clean up any spills made.

i learned a lot, i learned how to use a fume hood, how to set up an electric circuit.

managemnt was very communicative and helpful

workplace culture was inclusive

hardest part of the job was coordinating my schedule with other people

enjoyable part was interacting with other students.
Typical Academic Work Environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 15, 2017
Fairly decent organization to work for. Work hours, for a research assistant, are very flexible. Supervisors respect your expertise and experience.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
sometimes required to work more than contracted hours
Fun to work and can learn a lot
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Best place to work, with really awesome people around me.
Learnt how to indulge in the office culture, how to work as a part of the team. Gained leadership abilities. The salary could be a little more.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Lesser pay