Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 22, 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant in Southern Illinois University for one and half year. My work concentrates on teaching java classes for Under Graduate Students and making them work on eclipse. The class consists of 50 students every semester.
Rich experience
Greenhouse Credit Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 20, 2016
Met various growers and their operations.
Greenhouse work; sanitization, potting, plant management, watering, insect management.
Planned and created a perennial bed located in front of the Agriculture building.
Various vegetable field work, harvest, water, fertilizing.
good work experience
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 28, 2016
Overall work experience was decent. Friendly staff, learned a lot from mentors ,however; pay was very low. Managers work with your schedule. Typical day at work can be hectic or slow depending on the day. Co-worker were very helpful when working on projects.
Very good workplace environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 18, 2016
Good co-workers, really nice people. For the most part everyone does a good job - we are all working hard. The hardest part of the job is balancing school life and work life, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the beautiful nature that surrounds the area. Management is also, for the most part good, I haven't had a boss here that I didn't like.
Pros
Good job culture
Cons
Not enough pay
Bureaucracy at its best.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 2, 2016
Mundane, state mandated day to day routine. Worked with some genuine people but upward mobility is stifled. Entry level position with routine tasks.
painter
Construction Painter (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901May 24, 2016
i was excited to have this job due to the pace and the work, we were doing different project everyday, management was alright, workers were excellent, ive learned so much at this job.
Student Job that gave me great experience into the banking industry
Teller/Cash Attendant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed meeting other college students through this job and gaining experience on excel. Also i enjoyed working with business professionals on a daily basis and witnessing professional work ethic.
Easy place to work, easy access on campus
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2016
Helpful management staff, allowed easy communication from those in charge and the student workforce. Offered assistance whenever necessary. A culture that was inviting to questions and growth.
Pros
Chance for improvement and growth
Cons
Repetition
Great learning environment. Very family friendly
Business Manager/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 3, 2016
Worked at SIU for 36 years and learned so much from just the culture there. It is government controlled but had job security until recently.
Pros
Great benefits and so much to learn
Cons
State of Illinois' poor budget management has affected the university
Well organized and outstanding management
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
Working in maintenance has taught me to be a cleanlier person and how to better my independence as I'm entering my adult life.
Pros
Cons
The hours
Professional, rewarding and work life balance
Research Assistant & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2016
Very nice place to work where professionalism and work life balance are at the core of daily life. Upward mobility has a realistic path and mentor-ship program are highly emphasized
Good job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2016
Working at Lawson Hall as a tech was fun and free. Barely ever watched the clock. Best job i had thus far. Worked up to 27 hours a week which was a con.
SIU Saluki Summer Bridge
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2016
I enjoyed working for this program, it sucks that its only for 2-weeks. The most enjoyable part was being able to make a difference with incoming freshmen at my Alma Mater by speaking on my experiences.
Motivational enviroment
Undergraduate Assistant - Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 13, 2016
It was very nice working at SIU. In terms of work/life balance its definitely a great place for a student worker. My co-workers were really supportive and I learnt a lot from them.
Pros
Breaks are good
Cons
Bad pay
Low end job
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Insufficient staffing. Inadequate equipment. Does have sufficient benefits package. Not physically demanding. Better management would be beneficial. Could have better pay compared to comparable positions.
Cons
Dead end job, no chance for advancement
Growing Healthcare System
Medical Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
SIU Healthcare is a growing Healthcare System with a solid relationship with the 2 major Springfield, Illinois hospital systems. Management listens and is open to change, but sometimes slow to act on employee complaints. Sick time abuse in the department has created a time off system in which it is very difficult to ever use your PTO/Vacation to actually TAKE a vacation. One day here or there is achievable, but it's very difficult to get a week off without planning 5+ months in advance or being extremely lucky.
Pros
PTO/Sick Leave, 2 Week Paid Holiday Break
Cons
Unaccountable Staff, Abuse of Sick Time, Hard to Get Vacation Due to Sick Time Abuse
excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  ResearcherJanuary 27, 2016
SIUC provides a excellent work circumstance, and workbench making you productive. Many knowledgeable professors can be reached here, and they are friendly to communicate with, so my academic level is improved by regular communication in my research area: rock mechanics and fluid flow in porous medium.
Great experience
Announcer/Commentator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 20, 2016
I had the opportunity to do and learn things that I never could have imagined. I had always dreamed of getting to be on an actual production set or being up close to college sports games.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
No pay
very fun, time went past very fast
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2016
a typical day at work would be taking out the trash in the dorms of the students, clean windows and wipe down some of the furniture as well as vacuuming the halls.
A positive learning environment for the students in the nursing programs
Clinical Instructor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 6, 2015
I was able to Utilize my skills as a clinical educator in a variety of hospital settings. Share my knowledge base and guide student nurses through the daily routine of nursing care at the hospital bedside. The Hospital staff was not always welcoming to the students, but the School Staff was welcoming, inviting and a great place to spread my eductor wings.
Pros
Sharing my knowledge with the students, guiding them along the way and sharing in their excperiences
Cons
Having alot of growing pains, some personell could be more helpful with adjunct staff, and things could be organized better from moving to the classroom into the hospital

4.3