Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Fun to work and can learn a lot
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 8, 2017
Best place to work, with really awesome people around me.
Learnt how to indulge in the office culture, how to work as a part of the team. Gained leadership abilities. The salary could be a little more.
Pros
Flexible timings
Cons
Lesser pay
Great learning environment. Very family friendly
Business Manager/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 3, 2016
Worked at SIU for 36 years and learned so much from just the culture there. It is government controlled but had job security until recently.
Pros
Great benefits and so much to learn
Cons
State of Illinois' poor budget management has affected the university
Very good workplace environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 18, 2016
Good co-workers, really nice people. For the most part everyone does a good job - we are all working hard. The hardest part of the job is balancing school life and work life, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the beautiful nature that surrounds the area. Management is also, for the most part good, I haven't had a boss here that I didn't like.
Pros
Good job culture
Cons
Not enough pay
Low end job
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Insufficient staffing. Inadequate equipment. Does have sufficient benefits package. Not physically demanding. Better management would be beneficial. Could have better pay compared to comparable positions.
Cons
Dead end job, no chance for advancement
Productive and very constructive work environment.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 27, 2016
-Supportive management
- Positive work environment
-Opportunities for growth and advancement
-Vacation
-Stress free work environment
-Loving coworkers
-Great business hours (weekends off)
Exciting work space
Usher (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 7, 2016
Getting dressed in the tuxedos, helping guest, awesome performances, very flexible hours.

Learned about backstage set up.

Manager was awesome, layed back and like by everyone that I noticed.

The co-workers were nice, friendly and interesting. Had good tmes and smiles.

Trying to compete with the others for job postings (work the performances) while not interfering with school or band activities.

Looking good, helping the guest and working along side the people I care about.
Pros
Best job I've ever had, just all around nice
Cons
Wasn't an everyday, 9-5 type job
Typical Academic Work Environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 15, 2017
Fairly decent organization to work for. Work hours, for a research assistant, are very flexible. Supervisors respect your expertise and experience.
Pros
flexible work schedule
Cons
sometimes required to work more than contracted hours
Rich experience
Greenhouse Credit Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 20, 2016
Met various growers and their operations.
Greenhouse work; sanitization, potting, plant management, watering, insect management.
Planned and created a perennial bed located in front of the Agriculture building.
Various vegetable field work, harvest, water, fertilizing.
good job
Tech support (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 21, 2016
it was a great job , there was always something to do each and every day there. but there was no job security at all with budget cut from the state ..
Challenging
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCDecember 20, 2016
I taught undergraduate students academic writing skills. It was challenging and rewarding. Since I believe communication skills are critical in the workplace and in the process of getting a good education, I liked the work.
Pros
small classes
Cons
some students were not motivated
No concern for patients
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield SOMOctober 29, 2015
Family practice nurses are unbelievably rude to the patients! They are rude to the Dr. residents that work there also! They ask preceptor a to train new employees but the preceptor are miserable and use the union as a way to treat people rudely and unfairly. Terrible in Family Practice mainly. Patients walk out of their appointments all of the time!
Pros
Benefits great
Cons
Family practice nurses very rude and unprofessional
Fun workplace to be at mostly customer service
Ticket Office Associate- Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Typical day at work was come in sign in on your computer and wait for the phone to ring to assist customers. The part I enjoyed the most was making the customers happy and giving them what they ask for because it's all about them. The hardest part I say, is dealing with an angry customer but its nothing that I can't handle. My co-workers were great we were friends outside of work also.
Pros
Sit down all day, nice office, nice co-workers
Cons
no benefits
Easy place to work, easy access on campus
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2016
Helpful management staff, allowed easy communication from those in charge and the student workforce. Offered assistance whenever necessary. A culture that was inviting to questions and growth.
Pros
Chance for improvement and growth
Cons
Repetition
Great Place to Learn and Work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 28, 2016
Southern Illinois University has diverse options and abundant positions for its students to work while learning, building up experience to face the outside world.
No advancement opportunities
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 22, 2015
The only way to get a promotion at SIU is to get another job offer in the same area and threaten to leave unless they match it. There are no raises. The HR departments makes internal promotions incredibly difficult. IT is fine but the overall administrative environment is awful.
Pros
IT department teams are good to work with
Cons
low pay, no overtime (even if you work overtime), horrible administration
Growing Healthcare System
Medical Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
SIU Healthcare is a growing Healthcare System with a solid relationship with the 2 major Springfield, Illinois hospital systems. Management listens and is open to change, but sometimes slow to act on employee complaints. Sick time abuse in the department has created a time off system in which it is very difficult to ever use your PTO/Vacation to actually TAKE a vacation. One day here or there is achievable, but it's very difficult to get a week off without planning 5+ months in advance or being extremely lucky.
Pros
PTO/Sick Leave, 2 Week Paid Holiday Break
Cons
Unaccountable Staff, Abuse of Sick Time, Hard to Get Vacation Due to Sick Time Abuse
Great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 22, 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant in Southern Illinois University for one and half year. My work concentrates on teaching java classes for Under Graduate Students and making them work on eclipse. The class consists of 50 students every semester.
Excellent benefits; Located in a great place to raise a family; Lots of cultural diversity. Top notch educational and research opportunities.
Director of Labor and Employee Relations (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 9, 2013
SIUC is a great place to work, offering an easy going but very caring work environment. Southern Illinois is a great place to raise a family.

Work hours are typically 8am - 4:30pm. In my current position, I am fortunate to have a very supportive upper administration that values my input and relies on my expertise. The most difficult part of my job is notifying an employee that due to budget cuts their position is being eliminated, or watching the occasional misguided employee throw away a good job by engaging in poor behavior.

The most enjoyable part of my job, aside from the great group of people that I am privileged to work with, is when I am able to help a struggling employee through difficult issues by coaching / counseling them.
Pros
Excellent benefits and great area to live in.
Cons
Current economic conditions in Illinois have resulted in budget cuts.
Professional, rewarding and work life balance
Research Assistant & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2016
Very nice place to work where professionalism and work life balance are at the core of daily life. Upward mobility has a realistic path and mentor-ship program are highly emphasized
Great Place to Work
Network Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 27, 2015
This place is a great place to work. The people around you are a strong supporting team and have knowledge in various different fields of networking. You can learn alot of things here. The only thing that is not above average here is the Advancement. It being a State job the State Budget dictates basically there is no regular promotion cycle or raises that come out of it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3