Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Would do it again.
System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 21, 2017
Working in Higher Education is fulfilling, low stress, and great benefits. I would do it again in a minute. Being able to easily take classes and enhance your formal education is a fantastic benefit.
Fun and demanding position with a lot of room for creativity and growth. Abiltiy to work with wonderful people and work in wonderful facilities.
DEPARTMENT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, IL/ Department of MicrobiologyOctober 16, 2017
Southern Illinois University is a wonderful place to work with wonderful people. With the budget and the restructuring of the college system I find my job in limbo. And in an effort to have something in reserved it pains me that after 14 years my position could be eliminated.With all that said I've always been loyal and valued my time at Southern Illinois University.
Pros
Work Environment
Cons
Budget, Lots of extra duties with no compensation.
wonderful learning environment.
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  IllinoisOctober 7, 2017
SIU encourages learning in all facets of student life they truly care about their employees and encourages them to pursue what is best for them. Overall wonderful work for students.
I enjoyed my work experience for the full time of my employment.
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  England and GermanySeptember 25, 2017
Great place to work. I was given the opportunity to teach my classes with a great deal of latitude on course presentation,and selection of course materials.
Enjoyable atmosphere
INTERN (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 25, 2017
I worked with the Volunteer Corps and I enjoyed interacting with the students and advertising various volunteer opportunities. I did not enjoy the management as they were not involved in the daily operations and were not motivated to engage in new activities.
A good place to learn Microsoft Office in depth.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 11, 2017
I work as a Graduate Assistant under the director of the University Core Curriculum of Southern Illinois University. My work is to create student assessment reports for using various mathematical functions and power pivot of Microsoft Excel.
Fun and nice environment to work
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 30, 2017
Southern Illinois university is a fun workplace and a community that harnesses cultural diversity. Ensures provision of of safe working environment with lots of opportunity to explore new ideas, innovation and invest massively in research and development.

Encourages individual and team effort in meeting up with task with readiness to partner with industries fostering a great opportunity to get student and workers massively involved.
Campus
Athlete (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 30, 2017
SIU campus is very clean and very aesthetic. The weather in this area of the state is good year round. There is some changing of the seasons, but it does not snow much here
good place for work for living
Researcher III (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILAugust 25, 2017
It's not very stressful to work at SIU. living expense is reasonable in the city. If job security is good, then it's good place to be balanced with living.
Pros
good benefit
Cons
less job opportunity.
Building experience for class time
IT Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 18, 2017
This school job was short lived but through it I was able to build computer skills that would be used for my classroom experiences. I mainly worked by myself but would sometimes do work with another student. Together we configured routers, re-imaged computers, gathered information to build labs for IT classes, and gained experience with using VMware Workstation.

Want to know more about Southern Illinois University?

Ask a question
Very supportive environment
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 11, 2017
Great place to go to school. The nutrition and dietetics department goes above and beyond to set their students up for success. Recent budget issues have hampered the university a but but still a great place
Applicable for the Math department only
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 10, 2017
Had a great time as a grad assistant here. Very friendly environment, easy going relaxed people, in the math department. They understand you are a student first, then a "worker". Will not give you too many duties to over burden you and if they do very easy to get it fixed if needed.
A very good place to work
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 7, 2017
There are very nice people who make you feel at home. I learnt a lot during my working period, especially in terms of balancing work, studies and family.
A lot of expectations with little in return. Gave me somewhere to live.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  University HallJuly 10, 2017
Working with Housing at Southern Illinois University gave me a lot of experience and relationships I cannot put a price on. The expectations of the administration put such a high demand on me with very little compensation. It was nearly impossible to have any outside social life, especially since I lived where I worked. My direct supervisor was supportive and understanding every step of the way and made getting through the semester much easier.
Pros
Paid room and board
Cons
ridiculously high demends
Trying times make me stronger
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 4, 2017
SIU, like the state of Illinois, is a tough place to work right now as there is no state budget. I work with great people in my office and hopefully the new leadership being put in place will bring some stability and support to the offie
University Environment
Electronics Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 14, 2017
It's been a long time, but they were a great bunch all those years ago. Now the state of Illinois has no budget, and the University's are running out of money so people are leaving. So sad.
Pros
Exciting environment
Cons
Temporary job in a nice working place
Lecturer in Mathematics (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 10, 2017
Non tenure--track lecturer position which must be renewed each year with a max 5 years limit. However, because I was writing a research paper co-authored with a professor in the Math Department, my contract got an exceptional renewal in the 6th year.
Pros
Nice working environment with friendly colleagues
Cons
Non tenure job with limited max working years
Excellent work enviornment with like-minded, goal-oriented people
Custodian/ Trainer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 9, 2017
The University has excellent supervisors as well as management, that effectively communicate and lead. The work environment is comfortable and well ran.
Severe Problems with Funding
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 18, 2017
The individual departments are typically well-organized and helpful. Unfortunately, the budget crisis has meant large-scale cuts across the university, thereby making job security precarious at best. If you are considering working at SIUC--whether as full-time faculty or staff, more specifically, a graduate assistant--do make sure that your department's funding is stable.
Pros
Tuition waiver, healthcare
Cons
Job security, exorbitant student fees still apply to graduate assistants
Nice place.
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 16, 2017
Good students and faculty. Difficulties with state funding and departure of Chancellor and Dean of Business School created some issues. Regents a little too politicized.