Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Well organized and outstanding management
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
Working in maintenance has taught me to be a cleanlier person and how to better my independence as I'm entering my adult life.
Pros
Cons
The hours
Professional, rewarding and work life balance
Research Assistant & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2016
Very nice place to work where professionalism and work life balance are at the core of daily life. Upward mobility has a realistic path and mentor-ship program are highly emphasized
Good job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2016
Working at Lawson Hall as a tech was fun and free. Barely ever watched the clock. Best job i had thus far. Worked up to 27 hours a week which was a con.
SIU Saluki Summer Bridge
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2016
I enjoyed working for this program, it sucks that its only for 2-weeks. The most enjoyable part was being able to make a difference with incoming freshmen at my Alma Mater by speaking on my experiences.
Motivational enviroment
Undergraduate Assistant - Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 13, 2016
It was very nice working at SIU. In terms of work/life balance its definitely a great place for a student worker. My co-workers were really supportive and I learnt a lot from them.
Pros
Breaks are good
Cons
Bad pay
Low end job
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Insufficient staffing. Inadequate equipment. Does have sufficient benefits package. Not physically demanding. Better management would be beneficial. Could have better pay compared to comparable positions.
Cons
Dead end job, no chance for advancement
Growing Healthcare System
Medical Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
SIU Healthcare is a growing Healthcare System with a solid relationship with the 2 major Springfield, Illinois hospital systems. Management listens and is open to change, but sometimes slow to act on employee complaints. Sick time abuse in the department has created a time off system in which it is very difficult to ever use your PTO/Vacation to actually TAKE a vacation. One day here or there is achievable, but it's very difficult to get a week off without planning 5+ months in advance or being extremely lucky.
Pros
PTO/Sick Leave, 2 Week Paid Holiday Break
Cons
Unaccountable Staff, Abuse of Sick Time, Hard to Get Vacation Due to Sick Time Abuse
excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  ResearcherJanuary 27, 2016
SIUC provides a excellent work circumstance, and workbench making you productive. Many knowledgeable professors can be reached here, and they are friendly to communicate with, so my academic level is improved by regular communication in my research area: rock mechanics and fluid flow in porous medium.
Great experience
Announcer/Commentator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 20, 2016
I had the opportunity to do and learn things that I never could have imagined. I had always dreamed of getting to be on an actual production set or being up close to college sports games.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
No pay
very fun, time went past very fast
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2016
a typical day at work would be taking out the trash in the dorms of the students, clean windows and wipe down some of the furniture as well as vacuuming the halls.
A positive learning environment for the students in the nursing programs
Clinical Instructor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 6, 2015
I was able to Utilize my skills as a clinical educator in a variety of hospital settings. Share my knowledge base and guide student nurses through the daily routine of nursing care at the hospital bedside. The Hospital staff was not always welcoming to the students, but the School Staff was welcoming, inviting and a great place to spread my eductor wings.
Pros
Sharing my knowledge with the students, guiding them along the way and sharing in their excperiences
Cons
Having alot of growing pains, some personell could be more helpful with adjunct staff, and things could be organized better from moving to the classroom into the hospital
great people relaxed environment
office related (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 17, 2015
Wonderful time working and getting my education at the same time. Awesome people to work with laid back atmosphere, had a terrific time working there while I was attending school.
Nice Campus and nice professors
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 15, 2015
I like the experience study here in Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The professors here are very nice and knowledgeable. I have learned a lots during the years.
Pros
Professors are nice
Cons
ranking is not high
No concern for patients
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield SOMOctober 29, 2015
Family practice nurses are unbelievably rude to the patients! They are rude to the Dr. residents that work there also! They ask preceptor a to train new employees but the preceptor are miserable and use the union as a way to treat people rudely and unfairly. Terrible in Family Practice mainly. Patients walk out of their appointments all of the time!
Pros
Benefits great
Cons
Family practice nurses very rude and unprofessional
Supportive Work Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 7, 2015
Supportive management. Promotes professional development and advancement. There is a lot of red tape and guidelines that one must follow in order to get a task completed. Coworkers and supervisors are great. There is a lot of work variety in what I do day in and day out.
Pros
Stipend
Cons
Work more than 20 hours per week
siuc
Space Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 6, 2015
only gig in town. one of the only major employers in the area. state cuts drastically affect the work environment. work load is not intense in most departments. but cuts loom and job security is limited.
Pros
job
Cons
work
Very supportive management.
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 17, 2015
I learnt a lot on sharepoint, Project deadlines are given according to the work. The best part is their encouragement. Very Friendly people, they ensure every one is comfortable working with them.
Enjoyable work environment
Arabic 101 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 14, 2015
I have enjoyed doing manufacturing and warehouse jobs. The most I enjoy about that is being a part of a team. I am also the type of employee that would go the extra mile to get the job done.
Benefits
Fun workplace to be at mostly customer service
Ticket Office Associate- Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Typical day at work was come in sign in on your computer and wait for the phone to ring to assist customers. The part I enjoyed the most was making the customers happy and giving them what they ask for because it's all about them. The hardest part I say, is dealing with an angry customer but its nothing that I can't handle. My co-workers were great we were friends outside of work also.
Pros
Sit down all day, nice office, nice co-workers
Cons
no benefits
excellent place
Game staff (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 2, 2015
i loved working for the school because i got into all of the athletic events for free and the schedule was very flexible with my class schedule which i enjoyed

4.3