Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University United States Employee Reviews

Great working environment with invaluable resources and and ecxperiences
Internship (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 27, 2015
During my time at SIU I held several positions as a custodian and as an intern. Social interaction was key with both positions and required me to be patient and hospitable. Everyday I was asked for assistance and I made sure that I was as courteous and as helpful as possible. My co-workers were helpful and if I had any problems or discretions they were available to assist me. The hardest part of the job was just balancing my school work and extracurricular cohesively. As time went on I was able to effectively manage my time and be productive in all phases in my life. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the relationships I was able to form and the experiences I was able to gain.
Wonderful work experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 26, 2015
Pros: Healthy relationship with professor and students
Cons: Sometimes grading overloads
I have worked in Southern Illinois University as a graduate assistant and conducted control laboratory with 60 students at a time and helped them learn the basics of controls. Likewise tutoring machine design class helped me a lot t built my overall personality and gain depth knowledge of mechanics. As a graduate student, collaboration of professor in preparing course manuals and grading policies shaped me for my professional career.
Excellent environment to foster subject knowledge and skills
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2015
Very good work environment with excellent supervisors who will help you develop knowledge and skills related to the field you pursuing.
Good relationship, Learning process, professionalism.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2015
As an instructor I got to work with the students, which was a two way learning process for them and me. It was an opportunity for me to tackle the problems by having the class discussion to get the solution and to know how the same problem can have different points of view and solutions.
While working as a researcher, I came across different difficulties. For example, technical problems, data collection, gathering substantial research materials and articles etc. Through these difficulties, the good relation with other staffs, professors and colleagues was very helpful to sort out the problems.
Fun and exciting
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 2, 2015
This position allowed for independent learning and interactive discussion of results. Hardest part of job was the constant negative results.
I loved working with kids
Undergraduate Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 28, 2015
I volunteered here every summer since I was thirteen. I worked in the 2-3 year old room, the school-age room, and the 3-4 year old room. I was involved in playtime, reading time, breakfast and lunch, nap time.
Comprehensive Education for PA Students
Educator/Instructor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 23, 2015
Knowledgeable, interdisciplinary, and varied background educators provided instructional and clinical experiences for the PA Students. Students had quarterly instructions in specific fields.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 20, 2015
working under a grant is hard because of the funding being cut. Overall, SIU is a great place to work although there is little money in the grants to pay the staff. However, it does have great insurance.
good study atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 16, 2015
As,a tutor I teach the accounting student who need help the related accounting class.
I learned how to be patient and passion to teach.
There is different major of tutors under the manager.
My co-work here is often help each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the question the student asked I do not understand.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the student got a high score under my teaching.
Good equipment and opportunity
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 3, 2015
I usually went in the mornings before class and checked the experiment set ups to see if they were running fine or needed adjustments. The experiments took much time but I would go over data that was previously recorded to prepare for the consensus of the complete research.
Good Student Job
Student Worker-Institutional Research (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILFebruary 2, 2015
This is a very good job for a student at SIUC. I absolutely loved the people I work with and they were very helpful and proactive in helping me be successful as a student as well.
Fun place to work
Desk Clerk (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 28, 2015
Great place. I was in college at the time so the extra cash came in handy. My co-workers were fun made the job that much easier.
Friendly People, Rich laboratories, Beautiful Campus.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Edwardsville, ILJanuary 26, 2015
I have found very friendly faculties, staff, students here. There are several laboratories with various sophisticated instruments for research. And, of course, the campus is really awesome.
Productive environment
Office Manager (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Typical day includes answering phone calls, checking and responding to emails and also interacting with fellow staff members. Management was efficient and effective. Management ensured that the work schedules coincided with school activities and that there is a positive environment in the workplace. The staff often worked together to ensure tasks were executed swiftly. The most enjoyable aspect of the job includes working together with staff, and other students in the university.
Senior Design Project
Brewery System Design, Control Panel (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 10, 2015
Still ongoing, working on designing a brewing system for a local brewery. This is for a class, average of 10 hours minimum outside of meetings/ class per week. The schedule is updated weekly. We give design reports to our faculty advisors, client, and our leaders of the course. Weekly meetings with your subdivision of the project, and weekly meetings of the whole team. Each week there is an updated action item list. Each person is responsible for a specific section of the design.
Building Manager
Building Manager of the Student Center (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 10, 2015
Pros: hours, pay
Great job. Wish I could have stayed. I had to move back to my hometown. The job was sweet.
Funding sources unstable and university not managed well.
Researcher II (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2015
I learned quite a bit from the lab I was working in, but funding is very unstable and the university is mismanaged.
Working as a Tutor
Paid Undergraduate Tutor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILDecember 27, 2014
Pros: fun job, great hours, ability to learn and earn worthwhile skills
Cons: low pay
While working as a tutor, I have learned to be patient with people; I have learned how to successfully interact with those who may be distressed, angry, and hard to deal with. I have also learned other valuable customer service skills, as well as certain leadership skills. I am able to lead meetings, I have helped come up with ideas that will allow the center to run better. I have also participated in outreach to other departments on campus for the center.
Very Productive and gratifying to work and interact with parents, students, faculty, and administration.
Office Manger (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILDecember 20, 2014
A typical day involved interacting with administration, students, parents, and occasional outside vendors. I enjoyed basically all the areas of the duties and responsibilities of my job, and throughout my employment I worked with some exceptional co-workers. The hardest part of my job was not being able to say no. I am a people person, and I learned that basically people are the same. Treat others always the way you want to be treated.
exciting
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILNovember 21, 2014
Work environment at most locations is dull but lot of opportunities available for career advancement.

1 2 3 4 5

About Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, established in 1869, is one of Illinois doctoral, research extensive Universities as – Read more

Southern Illinois University Salaries