Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Exciting meeting new people
Saluki Science Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 22, 2015
My typical day included talking to multiple prospective students as well as parents. I was in charge of the science recruiting department at Southern Illinois University. I would listen to what the kids and parents were looking for in a University, if SIU fit those requirements but science wasn't the department they were interested in the I would direct them to the recruiting departed that would more fit that they were looking for. If science was what they were looking into then I would explain how SIU could benefit what they were trying to accomplish. I went over all the opportunities that at SIU offers as well as the accomplishments that science students at our school have achieved, including myself. I was often questioned about my life as a student attending SIU and I would tell them about my student life. After that a lot of them seemed to be very interested in the program. This job increased my listening skills greatly, as well as increasing my ability to speak with the public and meet any demands they had coming in. I didn't really have any managers in this job I was pretty much in charge of the science recruiting department, with help from one other student who I got a long with very well. We focused on different areas of science so together we were able to answer every single question that was asked to us. The hardest part would have been not being as fully informed in the science areas I wasn't involved in, but I had my friend who was involved in those specific areas so who answered those questions instead. The most satisfying part of this job was showing that the SIU  more... science department was the best choice for hesitant students. Me and my coworker alone caused the science department to have to most commits .  less
Working at different places lead me to develop professionally. Overall, It was really fun and a good learning experience.
student worker (Former Employee) –  SIUE dining servicesJune 4, 2013
Corporate Experience:
I volunteered at Microbe Inotech Laboratories (MIL) where I conducted tests like Gram staining technique, handled Biolog Microlog, metabolic characterization system and prepared nutrient agar petri plates. Apart from this, I also did implant training at Torrent pharmaceuticals and Intas Biopharmaceuticals in India where I learned about techniques such as Gel Electrophoresis, Chromatography techniques, Sonication, Robotic Liquid Handling System used for performing Bradford Assay. Working in such corporate environment definitely boosted my confidence levels in performing various biological assays and helped me to gain knowledge in the field of Biotechnology. It also helped me to experience the corporate culture which will be helpful for me to adjust myself in such an environment in future.

On campus Work Experience:

I worked at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville (SIUE) dining services. It was really good learning experience working at SIUE dining services. Working here helped me to interact with various people who worked with me. Sometimes, during the absence of my Supervisor, I had to undertake her role and responsibilities. Working under such situations definitely helped me to improve my management skills. Also, by interacting with my co-workers and supervisors helped me to improve my speaking abilities.
Productive and Great work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale IllinoisApril 25, 2014
Work day included seeing clients and writing notes along with other administrative work.

I learned a lot about myself as a counselor and about the administrative and paper work part of counseling agencies.

The director and supervisors were the most supportive staff I have ever worked with. I could talk to them about personal issues as well as professional consultation. They were very honest with feedback and allowed me to learn how to be an effective independent worker

My coworkers provided a warm and welcoming environment and were also very professional. we worked on very important projects together with great team work and products.

The hardest thing about the job was being a full time graduate student while also working dull time.

The great part about this job was that I was about to have flexibility in my schedule, which allowed me to be present mentally and physically for clients in need. It also helped me to have necessary time to provide quality services and note management for the cases assigned to me.
Pros
excellent work environment, supportive staff, great learning experience
Excellent benefits; Located in a great place to raise a family; Lots of cultural diversity. Top notch educational and research opportunities.
Director of Labor and Employee Relations (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 9, 2013
SIUC is a great place to work, offering an easy going but very caring work environment. Southern Illinois is a great place to raise a family.

Work hours are typically 8am - 4:30pm. In my current position, I am fortunate to have a very supportive upper administration that values my input and relies on my expertise. The most difficult part of my job is notifying an employee that due to budget cuts their position is being eliminated, or watching the occasional misguided employee throw away a good job by engaging in poor behavior.

The most enjoyable part of my job, aside from the great group of people that I am privileged to work with, is when I am able to help a struggling employee through difficult issues by coaching / counseling them.
Pros
excellent benefits and great area to live in.
Cons
current economic conditions in illinois have resulted in budget cuts.
A steady job, with consistent work, easy to travel to because it was on campus
Sales associate at school bookstore (Former Employee) –  carbondaleMarch 16, 2013
A typical day at work, i would pretty much work the cash register for the majority of the day. Greet the customers as they were coming through the door, and assist them with their shopping needs. I also managed inventory and assisted with customer service when it was necessary. Here i learned the commitment and grind of a steady job earning a consistent paycheck while attending school full time. Management was friendly as we were all students and happened to be pretty familiar with each other. The co-workers and management relationship was pretty similar, students who all knew and were familiar with one another. The hardest part about the job had to be balancing school and work at the same time. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers that came through the door.
Pros
steady job in a friendly environment
Cons
tedious schedule of work and going to school full time
Productive enjoyable work place.
Supervisor Ben Anderson (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 16, 2013
A typical day would involve lots of phone calls and working on/with computers. I learned a lot about closed and open networks, best way to trouble shoot computer/network issues, and was able to better my phone etiquette. The management team I work for was amazing, understanding, and extremely helpful. All of my former co-workers were more than willing to teach me about things I didn't know about involving the our positions. The hardest part of the position was knowing I was only hired as temporary extra help and the position was not permanent. The best part of the position I held was being able to work so close with so many great people that truly worked as a team to acquire mutual goals.
Many offers for learning was always available
Medical Coder/Insurance Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 23, 2014
Daily billing, invoicing, collections, issuing insurance forms, patient contact for balance due payments. Daily coding for patient procedures and daily contact with Dr.'s and Nurse.
I learned something new everyday about health and billing issues and related information.
My co-workers were great in all departments and we had to work close daily for the operation of the job.
The hardest part of the job was collections form patients and insurance companies. Making sure to be cautious of billing information to be submitted.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure my job was completed in a timely manner and accurate as it should be.
Pros
free lunch when provided by representatives
Cons
getting patient to understand the billing and insurance process
Productive and enjoyable environment with a moderate level of work.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 28, 2014
My typical work here consisted of me and my partner going through and making sure all rooms, labs, bathrooms, and offices are clean and organized. I learned of different chemicals to clean with and ways to help reduce odors like in the bathroom. My supervisor was willing to help out the workers as far as their work load and class schedules. The hardest part of the day was having to go through and making sure you have cleaned all areas properly in the manner that was expected in time. The most enjoyable part were the times when one or more workers had to perform a task and we would have friendly co-workers helping out.
Pros
friendly environment
Cons
limited amount of hours
Great working environment with invaluable resources and and ecxperiences
Internship (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 27, 2015
During my time at SIU I held several positions as a custodian and as an intern. Social interaction was key with both positions and required me to be patient and hospitable. Everyday I was asked for assistance and I made sure that I was as courteous and as helpful as possible. My co-workers were helpful and if I had any problems or discretions they were available to assist me. The hardest part of the job was just balancing my school work and extracurricular cohesively. As time went on I was able to effectively manage my time and be productive in all phases in my life. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the relationships I was able to form and the experiences I was able to gain.
SIU was a very opportunity for all employes and students.
Secretary III Lesar School of Law (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 12, 2012
Southern Illinois University was a pleasant place to work and offered many different opportunities. Each department I worked at always prepared me for the next one I transfered to another one. I enjoyed all of the departments I worked in. I got along very well with Professors, secretaries and all coworkers. I was very happy at SIU until I returned to Chicago after my father died to become a care giver to my mother. I lived in Carbondale for 14 years and worked for the University for 12 years. I also took classes for Administrative Secretary.
Pros
employes were always encouraged to take classes toward degrees.
Cons
we could take classes on lunch hours and could always make up time.
This experience has allowed me to work with a great team of people spread throughout the country.
Program Advisor, Aviation Management (Current Employee) –  Palomar College, San Marcos, CAJanuary 9, 2013
My day begins early in the morning and usually ends when outstanding matters are complete.

This position has allowed me to think outside the box.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making that phone call to students informing them that they have completed all requirements for their degree.
Pros
i do many things without true supervision. my supervisors are 3, 000 miles away.
Cons
because my supervisors are so far away, i feel at times, they have no idea what i do on a daily basis.
A positive learning environment for the students in the nursing programs
Clinical Instructor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 6, 2015
I was able to Utilize my skills as a clinical educator in a variety of hospital settings. Share my knowledge base and guide student nurses through the daily routine of nursing care at the hospital bedside. The Hospital staff was not always welcoming to the students, but the School Staff was welcoming, inviting and a great place to spread my eductor wings.
Pros
Sharing my knowledge with the students, guiding them along the way and sharing in their excperiences
Cons
Having alot of growing pains, some personell could be more helpful with adjunct staff, and things could be organized better from moving to the classroom into the hospital
Growing Healthcare System
Medical Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
SIU Healthcare is a growing Healthcare System with a solid relationship with the 2 major Springfield, Illinois hospital systems. Management listens and is open to change, but sometimes slow to act on employee complaints. Sick time abuse in the department has created a time off system in which it is very difficult to ever use your PTO/Vacation to actually TAKE a vacation. One day here or there is achievable, but it's very difficult to get a week off without planning 5+ months in advance or being extremely lucky.
Pros
PTO/Sick Leave, 2 Week Paid Holiday Break
Cons
Unaccountable Staff, Abuse of Sick Time, Hard to Get Vacation Due to Sick Time Abuse
Dream workplace nice faculties
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 11, 2014
My GA experience at Department of Agribusiness Economics (ABE) is pretty funny and it is a lifelong memory. This kind of job position requires students to work 10 hours per week without fixed schedule. Therefore, students could do the job anywhere they preferred in order to relax themselves and improve efficiency. Also, the faculties at Department of ABE are very nice and patient, they would not only explain research purposes and methodologies very clearly and carefully to help students fully understand it, but also guide students on the right track in appropriate way to conduct researches.
Educating student population and giving them experience to grow
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, IllinoisMarch 3, 2012
• Designed, implemented, and evaluated innovative group exercise and personal training programs that responded to individual student/member needs and encouraged the development of healthy habits;
• Maintained an accurate inventory of all group exercise and personal training equipment;
• Assisted in projecting accurate membership and clientele revenue and staffing expenses for program budgets;
• Met with student organizations and campus departments on routine basis to develop program familiarity and encourage involvement in group exercise and personal training programs;
• Served as a departmental representative on campus and community committees that promoted health and wellness initiatives.
• Coordinator of special events. Zumba Core for the cure.
Rewarding work due to teaching young minds
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 24, 2012
The typical day of work consisted of me managing grades, class procedures, lecture and office hours. I learned how to manage time because of my double role as a teacher and student. The supervisor let us control our classes and had an open door policy in case we did run into issues. The hardest part of the job was making sure that I got the students to understand the important points of each lecture. The most enjoyable part of my job was when a student would inform me how much they enjoyed the class I was teaching.
Fun workplace to be at mostly customer service
Ticket Office Associate- Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Typical day at work was come in sign in on your computer and wait for the phone to ring to assist customers. The part I enjoyed the most was making the customers happy and giving them what they ask for because it's all about them. The hardest part I say, is dealing with an angry customer but its nothing that I can't handle. My co-workers were great we were friends outside of work also.
Pros
Sit down all day, nice office, nice co-workers
Cons
no benefits
Very exciting and interesting field in neuroscience striving to make a difference in traumatic brain injury
Laboratory Technician, Research (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 24, 2015
Professor was flexible, very knowledgeable in this field, and the University provided excellent and proper laboratory space and tools in order to meet the needs of researchers. A typical day included carrying out different test on rats to analyze motor function and daily responsibilities of working with rats. Then histological processes were performed, followed by the cell staining process and microscopic evaluation. The job was interesting and enjoyable always striving to make a difference.
Pros
Interesting topic, always learning more about the field
Cons
Just temporary undergraduate position.
Good relationship, Learning process, professionalism.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2015
As an instructor I got to work with the students, which was a two way learning process for them and me. It was an opportunity for me to tackle the problems by having the class discussion to get the solution and to know how the same problem can have different points of view and solutions.
While working as a researcher, I came across different difficulties. For example, technical problems, data collection, gathering substantial research materials and articles etc. Through these difficulties, the good relation with other staffs, professors and colleagues was very helpful to sort out the problems.
Temporary position was tedious, yet fulfilling.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 14, 2015
Combination of personal meetings, electronic mail correspondence and phone calls gave the ability to work mostly at home and adhere to weekly deadlines. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable: I learned parts of the processes of writing and publishing a monograph, the hard work and compilation of research which is involved, as well as the difficult task of beginning and proofing a manuscript and transcribing data such as recorded interviews and formatting same so that useful information could be pinpointed.
Pros
Experience in research for a monograph
Cons
Temporary position

4.3