Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University Employer Reviews

Great co-workers and fun environment
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 14, 2014
Mainly I'm a student first, so just finding that balance between work and personal life takes time. Time-management is very important in the workplace because you can become overwhelmed with school work and your job.
My specific supervisors were great, others not so much.
Wetland Field Station Research Assistant/Manager (Current Employee), Carbondale ILApril 7, 2014
There are worse place to work and live, but also better. The University itself has some issues and generally lacks a coherent plan as far as I can tell. The department I worked in had some great people but there are a few distinct groups that generally do not interact (at least in a positive manner), furthering the lack of cohesion. Nothing terrible – more... ever happened though, and all of my immediate co-workers and supervisors were always great to work with. – less
A blessing
Student Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2014
This was my start to working a real job with benefits, well, somewhat. I had a great time working as a RA, it was my most favorite job, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Unfortunate
Assistant Professor of Radiologic Sciences (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 17, 2014
Pros: no nights, no weekends, no holidays
Extremely poor management. Communication failure amongst coworkers. Semester by semester contract leaves faculty guessing at whether they will have a job every 18 weeks.
Great workplace for a student as long as you can find a meaningful job.
Information Technology Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 14, 2014
Majority of student employees are paid minimum wage, regardless of their job responsibilities. However, it is a great opportunity to get your feet wet, especially if you can find employment that is relevant to your studies.
Productive and fun place to work
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 9, 2014
Had fun with knowledge.
My research: Design and Synthesis of Robust Threshold Logic Gates: Investigated the novel implementations of Threshold Logic Gates using CMOS based low power designs, MOBILE architecture, Memristor based designs
I have a great time
teacher assistant (Former Employee), College of EducationMarch 5, 2014
Pros: teaching and learning was fun
Cons: end of semesters very hectic due to unsubmitted homework and projects
I was here for education. I did my doctoral degree with the exceptional support of the professors and I have the great opportunity to teach I was very loved by my students because they knew I care about them
An excellent place to work
Graduate/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILFebruary 13, 2014
I enjoy working with the National Guard. The upper echelon management understands the plight of the front line soldier and works to make his or her job better.
Fun and easily learned
Tour Guide (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILFebruary 11, 2014
This job is managed by extremely kind people. The work load is reasonable. And the hardest part of the job is not having enough hours.
My Graduate Institution
Dissertation Research Fellow (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 21, 2014
In my era, graduate assistants were allowed to think through and develop our own pedagogical methodology and style. I was more than grateful for such an opportunity.
Friendly people
Teaching assistant for course World Geography (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILJanuary 13, 2014
People here are so friendly and you will never feel lonely. Usually not too much stress in the work. Several nice restaurants near the campus. Really good recreation center.
Productive enjoyable work place.
Supervisor Ben Anderson (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILDecember 16, 2013
A typical day would involve lots of phone calls and working on/with computers. I learned a lot about closed and open networks, best way to trouble shoot computer/network issues, and was able to better my phone etiquette. The management team I work for was amazing, understanding, and extremely helpful. All of my former co-workers were more than willing – more... to teach me about things I didn't know about involving the our positions. The hardest part of the position was knowing I was only hired as temporary extra help and the position was not permanent. The best part of the position I held was being able to work so close with so many great people that truly worked as a team to acquire mutual goals. – less
Able to be exposed to different diversity in students
Staff Clerk (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILDecember 13, 2013
Pros: paid holidays
Cons: lack of supervision skills from supervisors
I loved working at the university. The students that attended were from different areas from all over the world. It was fun being able to experience the different cultures that was represented by our college community.
Benefits from the college was excellent.
Great start
Civilian Worker (Former Employee), Edwardsville, ILDecember 1, 2013
A nice part time job where you get a few experiences. The stories from your clients will amaze you. You will have a change of heart about judging people.
very fullfiling job
maintenance equipment operator (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILNovember 19, 2013
nice being outside most of the time and I had a lot of contact with a very large group of people
Taught high school age youth the basic of architecture.
Architecture Instructor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILOctober 28, 2013
Pros: i was able to influence young peoples lives in a positive way.
Cons: because of the lack of leverage on the students it is hard to push students to do their best.
This job was a lot of fun. Although it is hard to keep order in a classroom where there is little leverage for maintaining order in the classroom the students don't get any grades or anything. The class pretty much required that I gained the students respect.Afterwards I am able to steer the direction of the class.
A typical day usually starts by me – more... explaining a project and having the students start on the projects in teams.
They usually have a lot of questions and complaints until I explain what I expect from them more thoroughly. A project usually last for about or a week or two or until most of the students in the class or finish. After that I explain a new project using 2 dimensional and 3D models or or projections. – less
Productive and fun workplace
Lab Technician Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILOctober 8, 2013
The Agriculture department is wonderful! On a normal day people are excited to advance on their research whatever it may be; I have learned to work as a team and why it is important to do your duties; I have learned to better manage my time outside the workplace to work to my potential; co-workers are amazing; the hardest part of the job is probably – more... doing field work; and the most enjoyable is knowing that you are working to help to world as everything that is being researched will probably be published in the future. – less
Nice place
Office Manager (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILOctober 3, 2013
I could only work 900 hours so my experience was limited. The boss was decent and out of the office most days.
na
Department of Physics/Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILOctober 2, 2013
Pros: na
Cons: na
Mostly research for PHD Candidate.
Teaching Lab and tutoring
Laboratory Researcher and Instructor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILSeptember 27, 2013
Very good place to work. Vast amount of knowledge and experience at RGI.

1 2 3 4

About Southern Illinois University

Founded in 1869, SIUC maintains more than 100 finely tuned academic programs that lead to associate, baccalaureate, master's, – Read more

Southern Illinois University Photos