Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  ResearcherJanuary 27, 2016
SIUC provides a excellent work circumstance, and workbench making you productive. Many knowledgeable professors can be reached here, and they are friendly to communicate with, so my academic level is improved by regular communication in my research area: rock mechanics and fluid flow in porous medium.
Great experience
Announcer/Commentator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 20, 2016
I had the opportunity to do and learn things that I never could have imagined. I had always dreamed of getting to be on an actual production set or being up close to college sports games.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
No pay
very fun, time went past very fast
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2016
a typical day at work would be taking out the trash in the dorms of the students, clean windows and wipe down some of the furniture as well as vacuuming the halls.
A positive learning environment for the students in the nursing programs
Clinical Instructor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 6, 2015
I was able to Utilize my skills as a clinical educator in a variety of hospital settings. Share my knowledge base and guide student nurses through the daily routine of nursing care at the hospital bedside. The Hospital staff was not always welcoming to the students, but the School Staff was welcoming, inviting and a great place to spread my eductor wings.
Pros
Sharing my knowledge with the students, guiding them along the way and sharing in their excperiences
Cons
Having alot of growing pains, some personell could be more helpful with adjunct staff, and things could be organized better from moving to the classroom into the hospital
great people relaxed environment
office related (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 17, 2015
Wonderful time working and getting my education at the same time. Awesome people to work with laid back atmosphere, had a terrific time working there while I was attending school.
Nice Campus and nice professors
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 15, 2015
I like the experience study here in Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The professors here are very nice and knowledgeable. I have learned a lots during the years.
Pros
Professors are nice
Cons
ranking is not high
No concern for patients
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield SOMOctober 29, 2015
Family practice nurses are unbelievably rude to the patients! They are rude to the Dr. residents that work there also! They ask preceptor a to train new employees but the preceptor are miserable and use the union as a way to treat people rudely and unfairly. Terrible in Family Practice mainly. Patients walk out of their appointments all of the time!
Pros
Benefits great
Cons
Family practice nurses very rude and unprofessional
Supportive Work Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 7, 2015
Supportive management. Promotes professional development and advancement. There is a lot of red tape and guidelines that one must follow in order to get a task completed. Coworkers and supervisors are great. There is a lot of work variety in what I do day in and day out.
Pros
Stipend
Cons
Work more than 20 hours per week
siuc
Space Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 6, 2015
only gig in town. one of the only major employers in the area. state cuts drastically affect the work environment. work load is not intense in most departments. but cuts loom and job security is limited.
Pros
job
Cons
work
Very supportive management.
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 17, 2015
I learnt a lot on sharepoint, Project deadlines are given according to the work. The best part is their encouragement. Very Friendly people, they ensure every one is comfortable working with them.
Enjoyable work environment
Arabic 101 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 14, 2015
I have enjoyed doing manufacturing and warehouse jobs. The most I enjoy about that is being a part of a team. I am also the type of employee that would go the extra mile to get the job done.
Benefits
Fun workplace to be at mostly customer service
Ticket Office Associate- Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Typical day at work was come in sign in on your computer and wait for the phone to ring to assist customers. The part I enjoyed the most was making the customers happy and giving them what they ask for because it's all about them. The hardest part I say, is dealing with an angry customer but its nothing that I can't handle. My co-workers were great we were friends outside of work also.
Pros
Sit down all day, nice office, nice co-workers
Cons
no benefits
excellent place
Game staff (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 2, 2015
i loved working for the school because i got into all of the athletic events for free and the schedule was very flexible with my class schedule which i enjoyed
What i learned
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 31, 2015
Improved upon my people management skills while teaching a freshman class of 80 students with diverse views and backgrounds.
Pros
Diverse and Friendly
teaching electrical engineering labs
Teaching Assistant/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 23, 2015
work at SIUC was a good experience to enhance my undergrad education and helping and encouraging students with using their skills in order to maintain the knowledge they get in classes so they can apply it in labs. Professors at SIUC department of technology help you to manage your time with helping you and giving you advices of how to manage the lab and prepare for it.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  College of Mass Communication and Media StudiesAugust 22, 2015
A typical day is fun and productive. It begins with me prepared to teach a class full of bright minds at 9am. I usually have a very interactive class section. Afterwards, I go up to my office, attend to students individually, grade assignments and work on research. I also plan for the next class.
Pros
Meetings with very bright minds
Cons
Not enough time in the day to meet with more students
No advancement opportunities
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 22, 2015
The only way to get a promotion at SIU is to get another job offer in the same area and threaten to leave unless they match it. There are no raises. The HR departments makes internal promotions incredibly difficult. IT is fine but the overall administrative environment is awful.
Pros
IT department teams are good to work with
Cons
low pay, no overtime (even if you work overtime), horrible administration
Very exciting and interesting field in neuroscience striving to make a difference in traumatic brain injury
Laboratory Technician, Research (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 24, 2015
Professor was flexible, very knowledgeable in this field, and the University provided excellent and proper laboratory space and tools in order to meet the needs of researchers. A typical day included carrying out different test on rats to analyze motor function and daily responsibilities of working with rats. Then histological processes were performed, followed by the cell staining process and microscopic evaluation. The job was interesting and enjoyable always striving to make a difference.
Pros
Interesting topic, always learning more about the field
Cons
Just temporary undergraduate position.
Producitve lab environment.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  CarbondaleJune 16, 2015
My responsibility is to design a Noise acquisition device with datalogging.

I have learned about reverse engineering, implementing fast real time systems.

Design is always fun to do.
Pros
Friendly lab environment.
Productive and understanding work environment
Building & Ground Staff (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 15, 2015
For the most part all I did was take out trash. I would at time have to clean floors, windows, or other various surfaces. My job overall was to keep most of East Campus of Southern Illinois University clean.

4.3