Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

No advancement opportunities
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILJuly 22, 2015
Pros: IT department teams are good to work with
Cons: low pay, no overtime (even if you work overtime), horrible administration
The only way to get a promotion at SIU is to get another job offer in the same area and threaten to leave unless they match it. There are no raises. The HR departments makes internal promotions incredibly difficult. IT is fine but the overall administrative environment is awful.
Very exciting and interesting field in neuroscience striving to make a difference in traumatic brain injury
Laboratory Technician, Research (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJune 24, 2015
Pros: Interesting topic, always learning more about the field
Cons: Just temporary undergraduate position.
Professor was flexible, very knowledgeable in this field, and the University provided excellent and proper laboratory space and tools in order to meet the needs of researchers. A typical day included carrying out different test on rats to analyze motor function and daily responsibilities of working with rats. Then histological processes were performed, followed by the cell staining process and microscopic evaluation. The job was interesting and enjoyable always striving to make a difference.
Producitve lab environment.
Research Assistant (Current Employee), CarbondaleJune 16, 2015
Pros: Friendly lab environment.
My responsibility is to design a Noise acquisition device with datalogging.

I have learned about reverse engineering, implementing fast real time systems.

Design is always fun to do.
Productive and understanding work environment
Building & Ground Staff (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJune 15, 2015
For the most part all I did was take out trash. I would at time have to clean floors, windows, or other various surfaces. My job overall was to keep most of East Campus of Southern Illinois University clean.
Temporary position was tedious, yet fulfilling.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Edwardsville, ILJune 14, 2015
Pros: Experience in research for a monograph
Cons: Temporary position
Combination of personal meetings, electronic mail correspondence and phone calls gave the ability to work mostly at home and adhere to weekly deadlines. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable: I learned parts of the processes of writing and publishing a monograph, the hard work and compilation of research which is involved, as well as the difficult task of beginning and proofing a manuscript and transcribing data such as recorded interviews and formatting same so that useful information could be pinpointed.
Productive and busy workplace
Maintenance (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILJune 10, 2015
Learning new machinery and getting the dorms prepared for the school year was exciting. The job title i upheld was maintenance. I made sure everything is ready for the following school year. I also maintained the buildings throughout the school year.
Great Place To Work
Community Director (Current Employee), University HousingMay 27, 2015
A student centered university that allows great ideas! A typical day is not typical which is the wonderful part of working at SIUE.
Great Place to Work
Network Engineer I (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 27, 2015
This place is a great place to work. The people around you are a strong supporting team and have knowledge in various different fields of networking. You can learn alot of things here. The only thing that is not above average here is the Advancement. It being a State job the State Budget dictates basically there is no regular promotion cycle or raises that come out of it.
Exciting meeting new people
Saluki Science Ambassador (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 22, 2015
My typical day included talking to multiple prospective students as well as parents. I was in charge of the science recruiting department at Southern Illinois University. I would listen to what the kids and parents were looking for in a University, if SIU fit those requirements but science wasn't the department they were interested in the I would direct them to the recruiting departed that would more fit that they were looking for. If science was what they were looking into then I would explain how SIU could benefit what they were trying to accomplish. I went over all the opportunities that at SIU offers as well as the accomplishments that science students at our school have achieved, including myself. I was often questioned about my life as a student attending SIU and I would tell them about my student life. After that a lot of them seemed to be very interested in the program. This job increased my listening skills greatly, as well as increasing my ability to speak with the public and meet any demands they had coming in. I didn't really have any managers in this job I was pretty much in charge of the science recruiting department, with help from one other student who I got a long with very well. We focused on different areas of science so together we were able to answer every single question that was asked to us. The hardest part would have been not being as fully informed in the science areas I wasn't involved in, but I had my friend who was involved in those specific areas so who answered those questions instead. The most satisfying part of this job was showing that the SIU science department was the best choice for hesitant students. Me and my coworker alone caused the science department to have to most commits .
Great working environment with invaluable resources and and ecxperiences
Internship (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 27, 2015
During my time at SIU I held several positions as a custodian and as an intern. Social interaction was key with both positions and required me to be patient and hospitable. Everyday I was asked for assistance and I made sure that I was as courteous and as helpful as possible. My co-workers were helpful and if I had any problems or discretions they were available to assist me. The hardest part of the job was just balancing my school work and extracurricular cohesively. As time went on I was able to effectively manage my time and be productive in all phases in my life. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the relationships I was able to form and the experiences I was able to gain.
Wonderful work experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 26, 2015
Pros: Healthy relationship with professor and students
Cons: Sometimes grading overloads
I have worked in Southern Illinois University as a graduate assistant and conducted control laboratory with 60 students at a time and helped them learn the basics of controls. Likewise tutoring machine design class helped me a lot t built my overall personality and gain depth knowledge of mechanics. As a graduate student, collaboration of professor in preparing course manuals and grading policies shaped me for my professional career.
Excellent environment to foster subject knowledge and skills
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2015
Very good work environment with excellent supervisors who will help you develop knowledge and skills related to the field you pursuing.
Good relationship, Learning process, professionalism.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2015
As an instructor I got to work with the students, which was a two way learning process for them and me. It was an opportunity for me to tackle the problems by having the class discussion to get the solution and to know how the same problem can have different points of view and solutions.
While working as a researcher, I came across different difficulties. For example, technical problems, data collection, gathering substantial research materials and articles etc. Through these difficulties, the good relation with other staffs, professors and colleagues was very helpful to sort out the problems.
Fun and exciting
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 2, 2015
This position allowed for independent learning and interactive discussion of results. Hardest part of job was the constant negative results.
I loved working with kids
Undergraduate Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 28, 2015
I volunteered here every summer since I was thirteen. I worked in the 2-3 year old room, the school-age room, and the 3-4 year old room. I was involved in playtime, reading time, breakfast and lunch, nap time.
Comprehensive Education for PA Students
Educator/Instructor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 23, 2015
Knowledgeable, interdisciplinary, and varied background educators provided instructional and clinical experiences for the PA Students. Students had quarterly instructions in specific fields.
Great Place to Work
Assistant Teacher (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 20, 2015
working under a grant is hard because of the funding being cut. Overall, SIU is a great place to work although there is little money in the grants to pay the staff. However, it does have great insurance.
good study atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 16, 2015
As,a tutor I teach the accounting student who need help the related accounting class.
I learned how to be patient and passion to teach.
There is different major of tutors under the manager.
My co-work here is often help each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the question the student asked I do not understand.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the student got a high score under my teaching.
Good equipment and opportunity
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILMarch 3, 2015
I usually went in the mornings before class and checked the experiment set ups to see if they were running fine or needed adjustments. The experiments took much time but I would go over data that was previously recorded to prepare for the consensus of the complete research.
Good Student Job
Student Worker-Institutional Research (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILFebruary 2, 2015
This is a very good job for a student at SIUC. I absolutely loved the people I work with and they were very helpful and proactive in helping me be successful as a student as well.

1 2 3 4 5

About Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University Carbondale, established in 1869, is one of Illinois doctoral, research extensive Universities as – Read more

Southern Illinois University Salaries