Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Low end job
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Insufficient staffing. Inadequate equipment. Does have sufficient benefits package. Not physically demanding. Better management would be beneficial. Could have better pay compared to comparable positions.
Cons
Dead end job, no chance for advancement
Growing Healthcare System
Medical Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
SIU Healthcare is a growing Healthcare System with a solid relationship with the 2 major Springfield, Illinois hospital systems. Management listens and is open to change, but sometimes slow to act on employee complaints. Sick time abuse in the department has created a time off system in which it is very difficult to ever use your PTO/Vacation to actually TAKE a vacation. One day here or there is achievable, but it's very difficult to get a week off without planning 5+ months in advance or being extremely lucky.
Pros
PTO/Sick Leave, 2 Week Paid Holiday Break
Cons
Unaccountable Staff, Abuse of Sick Time, Hard to Get Vacation Due to Sick Time Abuse
Motivational enviroment
Undergraduate Assistant - Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 13, 2016
It was very nice working at SIU. In terms of work/life balance its definitely a great place for a student worker. My co-workers were really supportive and I learnt a lot from them.
Pros
Breaks are good
Cons
Bad pay
Supportive Work Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 7, 2015
Supportive management. Promotes professional development and advancement. There is a lot of red tape and guidelines that one must follow in order to get a task completed. Coworkers and supervisors are great. There is a lot of work variety in what I do day in and day out.
Pros
Stipend
Cons
Work more than 20 hours per week
Very good workplace environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 18, 2016
Good co-workers, really nice people. For the most part everyone does a good job - we are all working hard. The hardest part of the job is balancing school life and work life, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the beautiful nature that surrounds the area. Management is also, for the most part good, I haven't had a boss here that I didn't like.
Pros
Good job culture
Cons
Not enough pay
No concern for patients
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Springfield SOMOctober 29, 2015
Family practice nurses are unbelievably rude to the patients! They are rude to the Dr. residents that work there also! They ask preceptor a to train new employees but the preceptor are miserable and use the union as a way to treat people rudely and unfairly. Terrible in Family Practice mainly. Patients walk out of their appointments all of the time!
Pros
Benefits great
Cons
Family practice nurses very rude and unprofessional
Rich experience
Greenhouse Credit Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 20, 2016
Met various growers and their operations.
Greenhouse work; sanitization, potting, plant management, watering, insect management.
Planned and created a perennial bed located in front of the Agriculture building.
Various vegetable field work, harvest, water, fertilizing.
Great learning environment. Very family friendly
Business Manager/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 3, 2016
Worked at SIU for 36 years and learned so much from just the culture there. It is government controlled but had job security until recently.
Pros
Great benefits and so much to learn
Cons
State of Illinois' poor budget management has affected the university
No advancement opportunities
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 22, 2015
The only way to get a promotion at SIU is to get another job offer in the same area and threaten to leave unless they match it. There are no raises. The HR departments makes internal promotions incredibly difficult. IT is fine but the overall administrative environment is awful.
Pros
IT department teams are good to work with
Cons
low pay, no overtime (even if you work overtime), horrible administration
good work experience
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 28, 2016
Overall work experience was decent. Friendly staff, learned a lot from mentors ,however; pay was very low. Managers work with your schedule. Typical day at work can be hectic or slow depending on the day. Co-worker were very helpful when working on projects.
Easy place to work, easy access on campus
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2016
Helpful management staff, allowed easy communication from those in charge and the student workforce. Offered assistance whenever necessary. A culture that was inviting to questions and growth.
Pros
Chance for improvement and growth
Cons
Repetition
Student Job that gave me great experience into the banking industry
Teller/Cash Attendant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed meeting other college students through this job and gaining experience on excel. Also i enjoyed working with business professionals on a daily basis and witnessing professional work ethic.
A positive learning environment for the students in the nursing programs
Clinical Instructor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 6, 2015
I was able to Utilize my skills as a clinical educator in a variety of hospital settings. Share my knowledge base and guide student nurses through the daily routine of nursing care at the hospital bedside. The Hospital staff was not always welcoming to the students, but the School Staff was welcoming, inviting and a great place to spread my eductor wings.
Pros
Sharing my knowledge with the students, guiding them along the way and sharing in their excperiences
Cons
Having alot of growing pains, some personell could be more helpful with adjunct staff, and things could be organized better from moving to the classroom into the hospital
Professional, rewarding and work life balance
Research Assistant & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2016
Very nice place to work where professionalism and work life balance are at the core of daily life. Upward mobility has a realistic path and mentor-ship program are highly emphasized
Fun workplace to be at mostly customer service
Ticket Office Associate- Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 9, 2015
Typical day at work was come in sign in on your computer and wait for the phone to ring to assist customers. The part I enjoyed the most was making the customers happy and giving them what they ask for because it's all about them. The hardest part I say, is dealing with an angry customer but its nothing that I can't handle. My co-workers were great we were friends outside of work also.
Pros
Sit down all day, nice office, nice co-workers
Cons
no benefits
painter
Construction Painter (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901May 24, 2016
i was excited to have this job due to the pace and the work, we were doing different project everyday, management was alright, workers were excellent, ive learned so much at this job.
Bureaucracy at its best.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 2, 2016
Mundane, state mandated day to day routine. Worked with some genuine people but upward mobility is stifled. Entry level position with routine tasks.
Well organized and outstanding management
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
Working in maintenance has taught me to be a cleanlier person and how to better my independence as I'm entering my adult life.
Pros
Cons
The hours
excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  ResearcherJanuary 27, 2016
SIUC provides a excellent work circumstance, and workbench making you productive. Many knowledgeable professors can be reached here, and they are friendly to communicate with, so my academic level is improved by regular communication in my research area: rock mechanics and fluid flow in porous medium.
SIU Saluki Summer Bridge
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2016
I enjoyed working for this program, it sucks that its only for 2-weeks. The most enjoyable part was being able to make a difference with incoming freshmen at my Alma Mater by speaking on my experiences.

4.3