Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Network Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 27, 2015
This place is a great place to work. The people around you are a strong supporting team and have knowledge in various different fields of networking. You can learn alot of things here. The only thing that is not above average here is the Advancement. It being a State job the State Budget dictates basically there is no regular promotion cycle or raises that come out of it.
Professional, rewarding and work life balance
Research Assistant & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2016
Very nice place to work where professionalism and work life balance are at the core of daily life. Upward mobility has a realistic path and mentor-ship program are highly emphasized
Enjoyable work environment
Arabic 101 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 14, 2015
I have enjoyed doing manufacturing and warehouse jobs. The most I enjoy about that is being a part of a team. I am also the type of employee that would go the extra mile to get the job done.
Benefits
good work experience
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 28, 2016
Overall work experience was decent. Friendly staff, learned a lot from mentors ,however; pay was very low. Managers work with your schedule. Typical day at work can be hectic or slow depending on the day. Co-worker were very helpful when working on projects.
painter
Construction Painter (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901May 24, 2016
i was excited to have this job due to the pace and the work, we were doing different project everyday, management was alright, workers were excellent, ive learned so much at this job.
Family friendly location
Postdoctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 6, 2013
I am in research. The medical doctors look down on PhDs because they think that we are the scum of the scientific world. Most of the departmental faculty treat you like you are a brainless oaf while they are the expert-gods of their restricted fields of research. But, the university provides good benefits (health, dental, optical and life) for you and your dependents.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No respect for the juniors.
Able to be exposed to different diversity in students
Staff Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 13, 2013
I loved working at the university. The students that attended were from different areas from all over the world. It was fun being able to experience the different cultures that was represented by our college community.
Benefits from the college was excellent.
Pros
Paid holidays
Cons
Lack of supervision skills from supervisors
Well organized and outstanding management
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
Working in maintenance has taught me to be a cleanlier person and how to better my independence as I'm entering my adult life.
Pros
Cons
The hours
Student Job that gave me great experience into the banking industry
Teller/Cash Attendant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed meeting other college students through this job and gaining experience on excel. Also i enjoyed working with business professionals on a daily basis and witnessing professional work ethic.
Bureaucracy at its best.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 2, 2016
Mundane, state mandated day to day routine. Worked with some genuine people but upward mobility is stifled. Entry level position with routine tasks.
Motivational enviroment
Undergraduate Assistant - Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 13, 2016
It was very nice working at SIU. In terms of work/life balance its definitely a great place for a student worker. My co-workers were really supportive and I learnt a lot from them.
Pros
Breaks are good
Cons
Bad pay
Great for students
Student Worker/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 16, 2012
They are always great about working around your class schedule and trying to get you the hours you need. Everyone in the College of Applied Sciences and Arts building is so fun to work with!
Pros
hours, compensation
Cons
limited to academic semesters
Good Place to work
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 27, 2012
Good place to work at. Provides a good work/life balance and has good benefits.
A blessing
Student Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2014
This was my start to working a real job with benefits, well, somewhat. I had a great time working as a RA, it was my most favorite job, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
A positive learning environment for the students in the nursing programs
Clinical Instructor/Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 6, 2015
I was able to Utilize my skills as a clinical educator in a variety of hospital settings. Share my knowledge base and guide student nurses through the daily routine of nursing care at the hospital bedside. The Hospital staff was not always welcoming to the students, but the School Staff was welcoming, inviting and a great place to spread my eductor wings.
Pros
Sharing my knowledge with the students, guiding them along the way and sharing in their excperiences
Cons
Having alot of growing pains, some personell could be more helpful with adjunct staff, and things could be organized better from moving to the classroom into the hospital
fun and fast past workplace
Food Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 3, 2013
has great benefits and greatmeal plan. meet new people and great place to grow.
Supportive Work Environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 7, 2015
Supportive management. Promotes professional development and advancement. There is a lot of red tape and guidelines that one must follow in order to get a task completed. Coworkers and supervisors are great. There is a lot of work variety in what I do day in and day out.
Pros
Stipend
Cons
Work more than 20 hours per week
Good job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2016
Working at Lawson Hall as a tech was fun and free. Barely ever watched the clock. Best job i had thus far. Worked up to 27 hours a week which was a con.
SIU Saluki Summer Bridge
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2016
I enjoyed working for this program, it sucks that its only for 2-weeks. The most enjoyable part was being able to make a difference with incoming freshmen at my Alma Mater by speaking on my experiences.
excellent working environment
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  ResearcherJanuary 27, 2016
SIUC provides a excellent work circumstance, and workbench making you productive. Many knowledgeable professors can be reached here, and they are friendly to communicate with, so my academic level is improved by regular communication in my research area: rock mechanics and fluid flow in porous medium.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3