Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

very fun, time went past very fast
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2016
a typical day at work would be taking out the trash in the dorms of the students, clean windows and wipe down some of the furniture as well as vacuuming the halls.
Nice Campus and nice professors
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 15, 2015
I like the experience study here in Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The professors here are very nice and knowledgeable. I have learned a lots during the years.
Pros
Professors are nice
Cons
ranking is not high
teaching electrical engineering labs
Teaching Assistant/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 23, 2015
work at SIUC was a good experience to enhance my undergrad education and helping and encouraging students with using their skills in order to maintain the knowledge they get in classes so they can apply it in labs. Professors at SIUC department of technology help you to manage your time with helping you and giving you advices of how to manage the lab and prepare for it.
Teaching and Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  College of Mass Communication and Media StudiesAugust 22, 2015
A typical day is fun and productive. It begins with me prepared to teach a class full of bright minds at 9am. I usually have a very interactive class section. Afterwards, I go up to my office, attend to students individually, grade assignments and work on research. I also plan for the next class.
Pros
Meetings with very bright minds
Cons
Not enough time in the day to meet with more students
great people relaxed environment
office related (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 17, 2015
Wonderful time working and getting my education at the same time. Awesome people to work with laid back atmosphere, had a terrific time working there while I was attending school.
No advancement opportunities
Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 22, 2015
The only way to get a promotion at SIU is to get another job offer in the same area and threaten to leave unless they match it. There are no raises. The HR departments makes internal promotions incredibly difficult. IT is fine but the overall administrative environment is awful.
Pros
IT department teams are good to work with
Cons
low pay, no overtime (even if you work overtime), horrible administration
siuc
Space Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 6, 2015
only gig in town. one of the only major employers in the area. state cuts drastically affect the work environment. work load is not intense in most departments. but cuts loom and job security is limited.
Pros
job
Cons
work
Very exciting and interesting field in neuroscience striving to make a difference in traumatic brain injury
Laboratory Technician, Research (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 24, 2015
Professor was flexible, very knowledgeable in this field, and the University provided excellent and proper laboratory space and tools in order to meet the needs of researchers. A typical day included carrying out different test on rats to analyze motor function and daily responsibilities of working with rats. Then histological processes were performed, followed by the cell staining process and microscopic evaluation. The job was interesting and enjoyable always striving to make a difference.
Pros
Interesting topic, always learning more about the field
Cons
Just temporary undergraduate position.
Very supportive management.
SharePoint Developer (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 17, 2015
I learnt a lot on sharepoint, Project deadlines are given according to the work. The best part is their encouragement. Very Friendly people, they ensure every one is comfortable working with them.
Temporary position was tedious, yet fulfilling.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 14, 2015
Combination of personal meetings, electronic mail correspondence and phone calls gave the ability to work mostly at home and adhere to weekly deadlines. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable: I learned parts of the processes of writing and publishing a monograph, the hard work and compilation of research which is involved, as well as the difficult task of beginning and proofing a manuscript and transcribing data such as recorded interviews and formatting same so that useful information could be pinpointed.
Pros
Experience in research for a monograph
Cons
Temporary position
Enjoyable work environment
Arabic 101 Instructor (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 14, 2015
I have enjoyed doing manufacturing and warehouse jobs. The most I enjoy about that is being a part of a team. I am also the type of employee that would go the extra mile to get the job done.
Benefits
Great Place to Work
Network Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 27, 2015
This place is a great place to work. The people around you are a strong supporting team and have knowledge in various different fields of networking. You can learn alot of things here. The only thing that is not above average here is the Advancement. It being a State job the State Budget dictates basically there is no regular promotion cycle or raises that come out of it.
Wonderful work experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 26, 2015
I have worked in Southern Illinois University as a graduate assistant and conducted control laboratory with 60 students at a time and helped them learn the basics of controls. Likewise tutoring machine design class helped me a lot t built my overall personality and gain depth knowledge of mechanics. As a graduate student, collaboration of professor in preparing course manuals and grading policies shaped me for my professional career.
Pros
Healthy relationship with professor and students
Cons
Sometimes grading overloads
Great working environment with invaluable resources and and ecxperiences
Internship (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 27, 2015
During my time at SIU I held several positions as a custodian and as an intern. Social interaction was key with both positions and required me to be patient and hospitable. Everyday I was asked for assistance and I made sure that I was as courteous and as helpful as possible. My co-workers were helpful and if I had any problems or discretions they were available to assist me. The hardest part of the job was just balancing my school work and extracurricular cohesively. As time went on I was able to effectively manage my time and be productive in all phases in my life. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the relationships I was able to form and the experiences I was able to gain.
What i learned
Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILAugust 31, 2015
Improved upon my people management skills while teaching a freshman class of 80 students with diverse views and backgrounds.
Pros
Diverse and Friendly
Good relationship, Learning process, professionalism.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2015
As an instructor I got to work with the students, which was a two way learning process for them and me. It was an opportunity for me to tackle the problems by having the class discussion to get the solution and to know how the same problem can have different points of view and solutions.
While working as a researcher, I came across different difficulties. For example, technical problems, data collection, gathering substantial research materials and articles etc. Through these difficulties, the good relation with other staffs, professors and colleagues was very helpful to sort out the problems.
excellent place
Game staff (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 2, 2015
i loved working for the school because i got into all of the athletic events for free and the schedule was very flexible with my class schedule which i enjoyed
Productive and busy workplace
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 10, 2015
Learning new machinery and getting the dorms prepared for the school year was exciting. The job title i upheld was maintenance. I made sure everything is ready for the following school year. I also maintained the buildings throughout the school year.
Productive and understanding work environment
Building & Ground Staff (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 15, 2015
For the most part all I did was take out trash. I would at time have to clean floors, windows, or other various surfaces. My job overall was to keep most of East Campus of Southern Illinois University clean.
good study atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 16, 2015
As,a tutor I teach the accounting student who need help the related accounting class.
I learned how to be patient and passion to teach.
There is different major of tutors under the manager.
My co-work here is often help each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the question the student asked I do not understand.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the student got a high score under my teaching.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3