Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Good equipment and opportunity
Undergraduate Research Student (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 3, 2015
I usually went in the mornings before class and checked the experiment set ups to see if they were running fine or needed adjustments. The experiments took much time but I would go over data that was previously recorded to prepare for the consensus of the complete research.
Good Student Job
Student Worker-Institutional Research (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 2, 2015
This is a very good job for a student at SIUC. I absolutely loved the people I work with and they were very helpful and proactive in helping me be successful as a student as well.
Fun place to work
Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 28, 2015
Great place. I was in college at the time so the extra cash came in handy. My co-workers were fun made the job that much easier.
Friendly People, Rich laboratories, Beautiful Campus.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 26, 2015
I have found very friendly faculties, staff, students here. There are several laboratories with various sophisticated instruments for research. And, of course, the campus is really awesome.
Productive environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Typical day includes answering phone calls, checking and responding to emails and also interacting with fellow staff members. Management was efficient and effective. Management ensured that the work schedules coincided with school activities and that there is a positive environment in the workplace. The staff often worked together to ensure tasks were executed swiftly. The most enjoyable aspect of the job includes working together with staff, and other students in the university.
Senior Design Project
Brewery System Design, Control Panel (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 10, 2015
Still ongoing, working on designing a brewing system for a local brewery. This is for a class, average of 10 hours minimum outside of meetings/ class per week. The schedule is updated weekly. We give design reports to our faculty advisors, client, and our leaders of the course. Weekly meetings with your subdivision of the project, and weekly meetings of the whole team. Each week there is an updated action item list. Each person is responsible for a specific section of the design.
Building Manager
Building Manager of the Student Center (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 10, 2015
Great job. Wish I could have stayed. I had to move back to my hometown. The job was sweet.
Pros
hours, pay
Funding sources unstable and university not managed well.
Researcher II (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2015
I learned quite a bit from the lab I was working in, but funding is very unstable and the university is mismanaged.
Working as a Tutor
Paid Undergraduate Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 27, 2014
While working as a tutor, I have learned to be patient with people; I have learned how to successfully interact with those who may be distressed, angry, and hard to deal with. I have also learned other valuable customer service skills, as well as certain leadership skills. I am able to lead meetings, I have helped come up with ideas that will allow the center to run better. I have also participated in outreach to other departments on campus for the center.
Pros
fun job, great hours, ability to learn and earn worthwhile skills
Cons
low pay
Very Productive and gratifying to work and interact with parents, students, faculty, and administration.
Office Manger (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 20, 2014
A typical day involved interacting with administration, students, parents, and occasional outside vendors. I enjoyed basically all the areas of the duties and responsibilities of my job, and throughout my employment I worked with some exceptional co-workers. The hardest part of my job was not being able to say no. I am a people person, and I learned that basically people are the same. Treat others always the way you want to be treated.
exciting
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 21, 2014
Work environment at most locations is dull but lot of opportunities available for career advancement.
publications
research assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 18, 2014
Involved in research projects funded by NSF
Developed skills to handle complex projects
Necessary skills to deal with individual projects
Review
Network Administrator/ Technology Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ILOctober 29, 2014
•a typical day at work
•what you learned
•management
•your co-workers
•the hardest part of the job
•the most enjoyable part of the job
Many offers for learning was always available
Medical Coder/Insurance Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 23, 2014
Daily billing, invoicing, collections, issuing insurance forms, patient contact for balance due payments. Daily coding for patient procedures and daily contact with Dr.'s and Nurse.
I learned something new everyday about health and billing issues and related information.
My co-workers were great in all departments and we had to work close daily for the operation of the job.
The hardest part of the job was collections form patients and insurance companies. Making sure to be cautious of billing information to be submitted.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure my job was completed in a timely manner and accurate as it should be.
Pros
free lunch when provided by representatives
Cons
getting patient to understand the billing and insurance process
Great!
IT Computer Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 21, 2014
Learned A lot of useful information while helping overall a great job
Nice JOb
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 19, 2014
It was a okay place to more for a little while nothing to make a career out of.
Organized
Online Course Manager (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 3, 2014
Very well organized and flexible. Much room for growth, creativity and advancement.
Pros
great management
Cons
virtual
GA position
Graduate Assistant, SIU School of Medicine (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 3, 2014
Working as a GA has been great. They really understand that I'm in school and how important that is. Studying at work is a regular thing here.
Dream workplace nice faculties
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 11, 2014
My GA experience at Department of Agribusiness Economics (ABE) is pretty funny and it is a lifelong memory. This kind of job position requires students to work 10 hours per week without fixed schedule. Therefore, students could do the job anywhere they preferred in order to relax themselves and improve efficiency. Also, the faculties at Department of ABE are very nice and patient, they would not only explain research purposes and methodologies very clearly and carefully to help students fully understand it, but also guide students on the right track in appropriate way to conduct researches.
Good learning environment
Research Assitant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 21, 2014
Nice place to work
Works done in amicable way
responsive instructors