Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Challenging
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Camp Lejeune, NCDecember 20, 2016
I taught undergraduate students academic writing skills. It was challenging and rewarding. Since I believe communication skills are critical in the workplace and in the process of getting a good education, I liked the work.
Pros
small classes
Cons
some students were not motivated
Exciting work space
Usher (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 7, 2016
Getting dressed in the tuxedos, helping guest, awesome performances, very flexible hours.

Learned about backstage set up.

Manager was awesome, layed back and like by everyone that I noticed.

The co-workers were nice, friendly and interesting. Had good tmes and smiles.

Trying to compete with the others for job postings (work the performances) while not interfering with school or band activities.

Looking good, helping the guest and working along side the people I care about.
Pros
Best job I've ever had, just all around nice
Cons
Wasn't an everyday, 9-5 type job
Great Place to Learn and Work
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 28, 2016
Southern Illinois University has diverse options and abundant positions for its students to work while learning, building up experience to face the outside world.
Productive and very constructive work environment.
Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 27, 2016
-Supportive management
- Positive work environment
-Opportunities for growth and advancement
-Vacation
-Stress free work environment
-Loving coworkers
-Great business hours (weekends off)
Great
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 22, 2016
I worked as a Teaching Assistant in Southern Illinois University for one and half year. My work concentrates on teaching java classes for Under Graduate Students and making them work on eclipse. The class consists of 50 students every semester.
Rich experience
Greenhouse Credit Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 20, 2016
Met various growers and their operations.
Greenhouse work; sanitization, potting, plant management, watering, insect management.
Planned and created a perennial bed located in front of the Agriculture building.
Various vegetable field work, harvest, water, fertilizing.
good work experience
Network Technician (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 28, 2016
Overall work experience was decent. Friendly staff, learned a lot from mentors ,however; pay was very low. Managers work with your schedule. Typical day at work can be hectic or slow depending on the day. Co-worker were very helpful when working on projects.
Very good workplace environment
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 18, 2016
Good co-workers, really nice people. For the most part everyone does a good job - we are all working hard. The hardest part of the job is balancing school life and work life, and the most enjoyable part of the job is the beautiful nature that surrounds the area. Management is also, for the most part good, I haven't had a boss here that I didn't like.
Pros
Good job culture
Cons
Not enough pay
Bureaucracy at its best.
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 2, 2016
Mundane, state mandated day to day routine. Worked with some genuine people but upward mobility is stifled. Entry level position with routine tasks.
painter
Construction Painter (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, IL 62901May 24, 2016
i was excited to have this job due to the pace and the work, we were doing different project everyday, management was alright, workers were excellent, ive learned so much at this job.
Student Job that gave me great experience into the banking industry
Teller/Cash Attendant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 17, 2016
I enjoyed meeting other college students through this job and gaining experience on excel. Also i enjoyed working with business professionals on a daily basis and witnessing professional work ethic.
Easy place to work, easy access on campus
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 5, 2016
Helpful management staff, allowed easy communication from those in charge and the student workforce. Offered assistance whenever necessary. A culture that was inviting to questions and growth.
Pros
Chance for improvement and growth
Cons
Repetition
Great learning environment. Very family friendly
Business Manager/Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 3, 2016
Worked at SIU for 36 years and learned so much from just the culture there. It is government controlled but had job security until recently.
Pros
Great benefits and so much to learn
Cons
State of Illinois' poor budget management has affected the university
Well organized and outstanding management
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 23, 2016
Working in maintenance has taught me to be a cleanlier person and how to better my independence as I'm entering my adult life.
Pros
Cons
The hours
Professional, rewarding and work life balance
Research Assistant & Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 21, 2016
Very nice place to work where professionalism and work life balance are at the core of daily life. Upward mobility has a realistic path and mentor-ship program are highly emphasized
Good job
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 15, 2016
Working at Lawson Hall as a tech was fun and free. Barely ever watched the clock. Best job i had thus far. Worked up to 27 hours a week which was a con.
SIU Saluki Summer Bridge
Peer Mentor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 26, 2016
I enjoyed working for this program, it sucks that its only for 2-weeks. The most enjoyable part was being able to make a difference with incoming freshmen at my Alma Mater by speaking on my experiences.
Motivational enviroment
Undergraduate Assistant - Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 13, 2016
It was very nice working at SIU. In terms of work/life balance its definitely a great place for a student worker. My co-workers were really supportive and I learnt a lot from them.
Pros
Breaks are good
Cons
Bad pay
Low end job
Building Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 28, 2016
Insufficient staffing. Inadequate equipment. Does have sufficient benefits package. Not physically demanding. Better management would be beneficial. Could have better pay compared to comparable positions.
Cons
Dead end job, no chance for advancement
Growing Healthcare System
Medical Office Employee (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILFebruary 9, 2016
SIU Healthcare is a growing Healthcare System with a solid relationship with the 2 major Springfield, Illinois hospital systems. Management listens and is open to change, but sometimes slow to act on employee complaints. Sick time abuse in the department has created a time off system in which it is very difficult to ever use your PTO/Vacation to actually TAKE a vacation. One day here or there is achievable, but it's very difficult to get a week off without planning 5+ months in advance or being extremely lucky.
Pros
PTO/Sick Leave, 2 Week Paid Holiday Break
Cons
Unaccountable Staff, Abuse of Sick Time, Hard to Get Vacation Due to Sick Time Abuse