Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Great working environment with invaluable resources and and ecxperiences
Internship (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 27, 2015
During my time at SIU I held several positions as a custodian and as an intern. Social interaction was key with both positions and required me to be patient and hospitable. Everyday I was asked for assistance and I made sure that I was as courteous and as helpful as possible. My co-workers were helpful and if I had any problems or discretions they were available to assist me. The hardest part of the job was just balancing my school work and extracurricular cohesively. As time went on I was able to effectively manage my time and be productive in all phases in my life. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the relationships I was able to form and the experiences I was able to gain.
excellent place
Game staff (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 2, 2015
i loved working for the school because i got into all of the athletic events for free and the schedule was very flexible with my class schedule which i enjoyed
fun and fast past workplace
Food Service Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 3, 2013
has great benefits and greatmeal plan. meet new people and great place to grow.
Good relationship, Learning process, professionalism.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2015
As an instructor I got to work with the students, which was a two way learning process for them and me. It was an opportunity for me to tackle the problems by having the class discussion to get the solution and to know how the same problem can have different points of view and solutions.
While working as a researcher, I came across different difficulties. For example, technical problems, data collection, gathering substantial research materials and articles etc. Through these difficulties, the good relation with other staffs, professors and colleagues was very helpful to sort out the problems.
Productive environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Typical day includes answering phone calls, checking and responding to emails and also interacting with fellow staff members. Management was efficient and effective. Management ensured that the work schedules coincided with school activities and that there is a positive environment in the workplace. The staff often worked together to ensure tasks were executed swiftly. The most enjoyable aspect of the job includes working together with staff, and other students in the university.
Productive and busy workplace
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 10, 2015
Learning new machinery and getting the dorms prepared for the school year was exciting. The job title i upheld was maintenance. I made sure everything is ready for the following school year. I also maintained the buildings throughout the school year.
Productive and understanding work environment
Building & Ground Staff (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 15, 2015
For the most part all I did was take out trash. I would at time have to clean floors, windows, or other various surfaces. My job overall was to keep most of East Campus of Southern Illinois University clean.
Productive enjoyable work place.
Supervisor Ben Anderson (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 16, 2013
A typical day would involve lots of phone calls and working on/with computers. I learned a lot about closed and open networks, best way to trouble shoot computer/network issues, and was able to better my phone etiquette. The management team I work for was amazing, understanding, and extremely helpful. All of my former co-workers were more than willing to teach me about things I didn't know about involving the our positions. The hardest part of the position was knowing I was only hired as temporary extra help and the position was not permanent. The best part of the position I held was being able to work so close with so many great people that truly worked as a team to acquire mutual goals.
Producitve lab environment.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  CarbondaleJune 16, 2015
My responsibility is to design a Noise acquisition device with datalogging.

I have learned about reverse engineering, implementing fast real time systems.

Design is always fun to do.
Pros
Friendly lab environment.
A steady job, with consistent work, easy to travel to because it was on campus
Sales associate at school bookstore (Former Employee) –  carbondaleMarch 16, 2013
A typical day at work, i would pretty much work the cash register for the majority of the day. Greet the customers as they were coming through the door, and assist them with their shopping needs. I also managed inventory and assisted with customer service when it was necessary. Here i learned the commitment and grind of a steady job earning a consistent paycheck while attending school full time. Management was friendly as we were all students and happened to be pretty familiar with each other. The co-workers and management relationship was pretty similar, students who all knew and were familiar with one another. The hardest part about the job had to be balancing school and work at the same time. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers that came through the door.
Pros
steady job in a friendly environment
Cons
tedious schedule of work and going to school full time
Many offers for learning was always available
Medical Coder/Insurance Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 23, 2014
Daily billing, invoicing, collections, issuing insurance forms, patient contact for balance due payments. Daily coding for patient procedures and daily contact with Dr.'s and Nurse.
I learned something new everyday about health and billing issues and related information.
My co-workers were great in all departments and we had to work close daily for the operation of the job.
The hardest part of the job was collections form patients and insurance companies. Making sure to be cautious of billing information to be submitted.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure my job was completed in a timely manner and accurate as it should be.
Pros
free lunch when provided by representatives
Cons
getting patient to understand the billing and insurance process
Student Work Position
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 26, 2014
This is a job and not a career. It will help pay rent but that is about it.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
low pay, no job security
good study atmosphere
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 16, 2015
As,a tutor I teach the accounting student who need help the related accounting class.
I learned how to be patient and passion to teach.
There is different major of tutors under the manager.
My co-work here is often help each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the question the student asked I do not understand.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that the student got a high score under my teaching.
Working as a Tutor
Paid Undergraduate Tutor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 27, 2014
While working as a tutor, I have learned to be patient with people; I have learned how to successfully interact with those who may be distressed, angry, and hard to deal with. I have also learned other valuable customer service skills, as well as certain leadership skills. I am able to lead meetings, I have helped come up with ideas that will allow the center to run better. I have also participated in outreach to other departments on campus for the center.
Pros
fun job, great hours, ability to learn and earn worthwhile skills
Cons
low pay
Senior Design Project
Brewery System Design, Control Panel (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 10, 2015
Still ongoing, working on designing a brewing system for a local brewery. This is for a class, average of 10 hours minimum outside of meetings/ class per week. The schedule is updated weekly. We give design reports to our faculty advisors, client, and our leaders of the course. Weekly meetings with your subdivision of the project, and weekly meetings of the whole team. Each week there is an updated action item list. Each person is responsible for a specific section of the design.
Very Productive and gratifying to work and interact with parents, students, faculty, and administration.
Office Manger (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 20, 2014
A typical day involved interacting with administration, students, parents, and occasional outside vendors. I enjoyed basically all the areas of the duties and responsibilities of my job, and throughout my employment I worked with some exceptional co-workers. The hardest part of my job was not being able to say no. I am a people person, and I learned that basically people are the same. Treat others always the way you want to be treated.
Productive and Great work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale IllinoisApril 25, 2014
Work day included seeing clients and writing notes along with other administrative work.

I learned a lot about myself as a counselor and about the administrative and paper work part of counseling agencies.

The director and supervisors were the most supportive staff I have ever worked with. I could talk to them about personal issues as well as professional consultation. They were very honest with feedback and allowed me to learn how to be an effective independent worker

My coworkers provided a warm and welcoming environment and were also very professional. we worked on very important projects together with great team work and products.

The hardest thing about the job was being a full time graduate student while also working dull time.

The great part about this job was that I was about to have flexibility in my schedule, which allowed me to be present mentally and physically for clients in need. It also helped me to have necessary time to provide quality services and note management for the cases assigned to me.
Pros
excellent work environment, supportive staff, great learning experience
Great Place To Work
Community Director (Current Employee) –  University HousingMay 27, 2015
A student centered university that allows great ideas! A typical day is not typical which is the wonderful part of working at SIUE.
Organized
Online Course Manager (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 3, 2014
Very well organized and flexible. Much room for growth, creativity and advancement.
Pros
great management
Cons
virtual
Dream workplace nice faculties
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILSeptember 11, 2014
My GA experience at Department of Agribusiness Economics (ABE) is pretty funny and it is a lifelong memory. This kind of job position requires students to work 10 hours per week without fixed schedule. Therefore, students could do the job anywhere they preferred in order to relax themselves and improve efficiency. Also, the faculties at Department of ABE are very nice and patient, they would not only explain research purposes and methodologies very clearly and carefully to help students fully understand it, but also guide students on the right track in appropriate way to conduct researches.

4.3