Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews

Wonderful work experience
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 26, 2015
I have worked in Southern Illinois University as a graduate assistant and conducted control laboratory with 60 students at a time and helped them learn the basics of controls. Likewise tutoring machine design class helped me a lot t built my overall personality and gain depth knowledge of mechanics. As a graduate student, collaboration of professor in preparing course manuals and grading policies shaped me for my professional career.
Pros
Healthy relationship with professor and students
Cons
Sometimes grading overloads
Productive enjoyable work place.
Supervisor Ben Anderson (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 16, 2013
A typical day would involve lots of phone calls and working on/with computers. I learned a lot about closed and open networks, best way to trouble shoot computer/network issues, and was able to better my phone etiquette. The management team I work for was amazing, understanding, and extremely helpful. All of my former co-workers were more than willing to teach me about things I didn't know about involving the our positions. The hardest part of the position was knowing I was only hired as temporary extra help and the position was not permanent. The best part of the position I held was being able to work so close with so many great people that truly worked as a team to acquire mutual goals.
Great experience
Announcer/Commentator (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 20, 2016
I had the opportunity to do and learn things that I never could have imagined. I had always dreamed of getting to be on an actual production set or being up close to college sports games.
Pros
Great Experience
Cons
No pay
A steady job, with consistent work, easy to travel to because it was on campus
Sales associate at school bookstore (Former Employee) –  carbondaleMarch 16, 2013
A typical day at work, i would pretty much work the cash register for the majority of the day. Greet the customers as they were coming through the door, and assist them with their shopping needs. I also managed inventory and assisted with customer service when it was necessary. Here i learned the commitment and grind of a steady job earning a consistent paycheck while attending school full time. Management was friendly as we were all students and happened to be pretty familiar with each other. The co-workers and management relationship was pretty similar, students who all knew and were familiar with one another. The hardest part about the job had to be balancing school and work at the same time. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers that came through the door.
Pros
steady job in a friendly environment
Cons
tedious schedule of work and going to school full time
Very exciting and interesting field in neuroscience striving to make a difference in traumatic brain injury
Laboratory Technician, Research (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJune 24, 2015
Professor was flexible, very knowledgeable in this field, and the University provided excellent and proper laboratory space and tools in order to meet the needs of researchers. A typical day included carrying out different test on rats to analyze motor function and daily responsibilities of working with rats. Then histological processes were performed, followed by the cell staining process and microscopic evaluation. The job was interesting and enjoyable always striving to make a difference.
Pros
Interesting topic, always learning more about the field
Cons
Just temporary undergraduate position.
Temporary position was tedious, yet fulfilling.
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJune 14, 2015
Combination of personal meetings, electronic mail correspondence and phone calls gave the ability to work mostly at home and adhere to weekly deadlines. The hardest part of the job was also the most enjoyable: I learned parts of the processes of writing and publishing a monograph, the hard work and compilation of research which is involved, as well as the difficult task of beginning and proofing a manuscript and transcribing data such as recorded interviews and formatting same so that useful information could be pinpointed.
Pros
Experience in research for a monograph
Cons
Temporary position
siuc
Space Administrator II (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 6, 2015
only gig in town. one of the only major employers in the area. state cuts drastically affect the work environment. work load is not intense in most departments. but cuts loom and job security is limited.
Pros
job
Cons
work
Great working environment with invaluable resources and and ecxperiences
Internship (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 27, 2015
During my time at SIU I held several positions as a custodian and as an intern. Social interaction was key with both positions and required me to be patient and hospitable. Everyday I was asked for assistance and I made sure that I was as courteous and as helpful as possible. My co-workers were helpful and if I had any problems or discretions they were available to assist me. The hardest part of the job was just balancing my school work and extracurricular cohesively. As time went on I was able to effectively manage my time and be productive in all phases in my life. The most enjoyable part of the jobs was the relationships I was able to form and the experiences I was able to gain.
very fun, time went past very fast
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 5, 2016
a typical day at work would be taking out the trash in the dorms of the students, clean windows and wipe down some of the furniture as well as vacuuming the halls.
Productive environment
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Typical day includes answering phone calls, checking and responding to emails and also interacting with fellow staff members. Management was efficient and effective. Management ensured that the work schedules coincided with school activities and that there is a positive environment in the workplace. The staff often worked together to ensure tasks were executed swiftly. The most enjoyable aspect of the job includes working together with staff, and other students in the university.

Want to know more about Southern Illinois University?

Ask a question
Student Work Position
Office Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILJuly 26, 2014
This is a job and not a career. It will help pay rent but that is about it.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Low pay, no job security
Good relationship, Learning process, professionalism.
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2015
As an instructor I got to work with the students, which was a two way learning process for them and me. It was an opportunity for me to tackle the problems by having the class discussion to get the solution and to know how the same problem can have different points of view and solutions.
While working as a researcher, I came across different difficulties. For example, technical problems, data collection, gathering substantial research materials and articles etc. Through these difficulties, the good relation with other staffs, professors and colleagues was very helpful to sort out the problems.
Productive and Great work environment.
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale IllinoisApril 25, 2014
Work day included seeing clients and writing notes along with other administrative work.

I learned a lot about myself as a counselor and about the administrative and paper work part of counseling agencies.

The director and supervisors were the most supportive staff I have ever worked with. I could talk to them about personal issues as well as professional consultation. They were very honest with feedback and allowed me to learn how to be an effective independent worker

My coworkers provided a warm and welcoming environment and were also very professional. we worked on very important projects together with great team work and products.

The hardest thing about the job was being a full time graduate student while also working dull time.

The great part about this job was that I was about to have flexibility in my schedule, which allowed me to be present mentally and physically for clients in need. It also helped me to have necessary time to provide quality services and note management for the cases assigned to me.
Pros
Excellent work environment, supportive staff, great learning experience
Many offers for learning was always available
Medical Coder/Insurance Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Quincy, ILOctober 23, 2014
Daily billing, invoicing, collections, issuing insurance forms, patient contact for balance due payments. Daily coding for patient procedures and daily contact with Dr.'s and Nurse.
I learned something new everyday about health and billing issues and related information.
My co-workers were great in all departments and we had to work close daily for the operation of the job.
The hardest part of the job was collections form patients and insurance companies. Making sure to be cautious of billing information to be submitted.
The most enjoyable part of the job was making sure my job was completed in a timely manner and accurate as it should be.
Pros
Free lunch when provided by representatives
Cons
Getting patient to understand the billing and insurance process
Educating student population and giving them experience to grow
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, IllinoisMarch 3, 2012
• Designed, implemented, and evaluated innovative group exercise and personal training programs that responded to individual student/member needs and encouraged the development of healthy habits;
• Maintained an accurate inventory of all group exercise and personal training equipment;
• Assisted in projecting accurate membership and clientele revenue and staffing expenses for program budgets;
• Met with student organizations and campus departments on routine basis to develop program familiarity and encourage involvement in group exercise and personal training programs;
• Served as a departmental representative on campus and community committees that promoted health and wellness initiatives.
• Coordinator of special events. Zumba Core for the cure.
fun working with students
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 3, 2013
Worked with food routing, stocking, preparing, cleaning equipment, montioring student.

That alot of students are not allowed to touch certain kinds of food, due to there culture.

Management was good.

Co-workers was good eager to learn.

There really wasn't one

Loved working with food and students..

Great Job.
Pros
students
Cons
cleaning the fryer vats
SIU was a very opportunity for all employes and students.
Secretary III Lesar School of Law (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 12, 2012
Southern Illinois University was a pleasant place to work and offered many different opportunities. Each department I worked at always prepared me for the next one I transfered to another one. I enjoyed all of the departments I worked in. I got along very well with Professors, secretaries and all coworkers. I was very happy at SIU until I returned to Chicago after my father died to become a care giver to my mother. I lived in Carbondale for 14 years and worked for the University for 12 years. I also took classes for Administrative Secretary.
Pros
employes were always encouraged to take classes toward degrees.
Cons
we could take classes on lunch hours and could always make up time.
Taught high school age youth the basic of architecture.
Architecture Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 28, 2013
This job was a lot of fun. Although it is hard to keep order in a classroom where there is little leverage for maintaining order in the classroom the students don't get any grades or anything. The class pretty much required that I gained the students respect.Afterwards I am able to steer the direction of the class.
A typical day usually starts by me explaining a project and having the students start on the projects in teams.
They usually have a lot of questions and complaints until I explain what I expect from them more thoroughly. A project usually last for about or a week or two or until most of the students in the class or finish. After that I explain a new project using 2 dimensional and 3D models or or projections.
Pros
I was able to influence young peoples lives in a positive way.
Cons
Because of the lack of leverage on the students it is hard to push students to do their best.
Nice Campus and nice professors
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILNovember 15, 2015
I like the experience study here in Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The professors here are very nice and knowledgeable. I have learned a lots during the years.
Pros
Professors are nice
Cons
ranking is not high
teaching electrical engineering labs
Teaching Assistant/Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILAugust 23, 2015
work at SIUC was a good experience to enhance my undergrad education and helping and encouraging students with using their skills in order to maintain the knowledge they get in classes so they can apply it in labs. Professors at SIUC department of technology help you to manage your time with helping you and giving you advices of how to manage the lab and prepare for it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Illinois University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3