Southern Illinois University

Southern Illinois University Employer Reviews

Fun and comfortable environment
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILJune 13, 2013
An amazing campus, especially in the summer so many fun outdoor activities to do. Employees on campus are friendly and helpful.
Working at different places lead me to develop professionally. Overall, It was really fun and a good learning experience.
student worker (Former Employee), SIUE dining servicesJune 4, 2013
Corporate Experience:
I volunteered at Microbe Inotech Laboratories (MIL) where I conducted tests like Gram staining technique, handled Biolog Microlog, metabolic characterization system and prepared nutrient agar petri plates. Apart from this, I also did implant training at Torrent pharmaceuticals and Intas Biopharmaceuticals in India where I learned – more... about techniques such as Gel Electrophoresis, Chromatography techniques, Sonication, Robotic Liquid Handling System used for performing Bradford Assay. Working in such corporate environment definitely boosted my confidence levels in performing various biological assays and helped me to gain knowledge in the field of Biotechnology. It also helped me to experience the corporate culture which will be helpful for me to adjust myself in such an environment in future.

On campus Work Experience:

I worked at Southern Illinois University, Edwardsville (SIUE) dining services. It was really good learning experience working at SIUE dining services. Working here helped me to interact with various people who worked with me. Sometimes, during the absence of my Supervisor, I had to undertake her role and responsibilities. Working under such situations definitely helped me to improve my management skills. Also, by interacting with my co-workers and supervisors helped me to improve my speaking abilities. – less
nice place to work.
Lecturer for the Curriculum & Instruction (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 29, 2013
While I enjoyed the work, I wished there was room for advancement, and a more stable work environment.
Fun workplace
Saluki Game Staff Ticket Taker (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 27, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
Fun place to work - met a lot of cool people and made good connections.
Great university with excellent students and faculty.
Lecturer (Current Employee), Carbondale, ILMay 21, 2013
Enjoy working at SIU. Dedicated students and a tremendous faculty. Nice facilities. A very caring and supportive environment.
Great experience
Resident Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILApril 8, 2013
Typical day would be to help keep the students update to date about university policy, hold weekly meeting, create display boards for residents, and serve as a mentor to residents.
fun working with students
Food Service Manager (Former Employee), Edwardsville, ILApril 3, 2013
Pros: students
Cons: cleaning the fryer vats
Worked with food routing, stocking, preparing, cleaning equipment, montioring student.

That alot of students are not allowed to touch certain kinds of food, due to there culture.

Management was good.

Co-workers was good eager to learn.

There really wasn't one

Loved working with food and students..

Great Job.
A steady job, with consistent work, easy to travel to because it was on campus
Sales associate at school bookstore (Former Employee), carbondaleMarch 16, 2013
Pros: steady job in a friendly environment
Cons: tedious schedule of work and going to school full time
A typical day at work, i would pretty much work the cash register for the majority of the day. Greet the customers as they were coming through the door, and assist them with their shopping needs. I also managed inventory and assisted with customer service when it was necessary. Here i learned the commitment and grind of a steady job earning a consistent – more... paycheck while attending school full time. Management was friendly as we were all students and happened to be pretty familiar with each other. The co-workers and management relationship was pretty similar, students who all knew and were familiar with one another. The hardest part about the job had to be balancing school and work at the same time. The most enjoyable part was interacting with the customers that came through the door. – less
Great environment for learning and working.
Instructor of Record (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILFebruary 7, 2013
Pros: teaching experience
Cons: isolated/rual
Southern Illinois was a college that trained teachers. It has retained this atmosphere of learning your craft while gaining valuable teaching experience. The staff is knowledgeable and professional.
Great job
Student Supervisor (Former Employee), Edwardsville, ILJanuary 25, 2013
Supervised students in proper preparation of food in quantity and quality.
This experience has allowed me to work with a great team of people spread throughout the country.
Program Advisor, Aviation Management (Current Employee), Palomar College, San Marcos, CAJanuary 9, 2013
Pros: i do many things without true supervision. my supervisors are 3, 000 miles away.
Cons: because my supervisors are so far away, i feel at times, they have no idea what i do on a daily basis.
My day begins early in the morning and usually ends when outstanding matters are complete.

This position has allowed me to think outside the box.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making that phone call to students informing them that they have completed all requirements for their degree.
fun and fast past workplace
Food Service Cashier (Former Employee), Edwardsville, ILJanuary 3, 2013
has great benefits and greatmeal plan. meet new people and great place to grow.
Great student worker position
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILNovember 22, 2012
Working as an administrative assistant for the Economics Department at Southern Illinois University was a wonderful learning experience. It have me a pre-graduation glimpse at office-work.
Work hard get paid
Visiting Assistant Professor (Off-Campus) (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 5, 2012
Pros: free lunch
Cons: lots
Work hard get paid I am just filling this out because they are making me
Your Average Institution
Janitor (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILNovember 2, 2012
There's nothing amazing about Southern, it's like your average college.
Engaging with the student and staff at the college
Office Assistant (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAOctober 18, 2012
This University puts the students first and works diligently with them. The office staff is amazing and is always willing to jump in and assist with any issues that may arise.
SIU was a very opportunity for all employes and students.
Secretary III Lesar School of Law (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILOctober 12, 2012
Pros: employes were always encouraged to take classes toward degrees.
Cons: we could take classes on lunch hours and could always make up time.
Southern Illinois University was a pleasant place to work and offered many different opportunities. Each department I worked at always prepared me for the next one I transfered to another one. I enjoyed all of the departments I worked in. I got along very well with Professors, secretaries and all coworkers. I was very happy at SIU until I returned to – more... Chicago after my father died to become a care giver to my mother. I lived in Carbondale for 14 years and worked for the University for 12 years. I also took classes for Administrative Secretary. – less
Easy job.
Secretary (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILSeptember 7, 2012
Great place to work as a student the job allows you to get a lot of school work done.
productive
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILSeptember 4, 2012
I worked as Graduate Assistant in Physiology department.
I could learn more about Microsoft suit
Flexible
ID Office (Former Employee), Carbondale, ILAugust 27, 2012
Were willing to work within your class schedule! They would work around finals, and other events you have

About Southern Illinois University

Founded in 1869, SIUC maintains more than 100 finely tuned academic programs that lead to associate, baccalaureate, master's, – Read more

Southern Illinois University Photos