Southern Illinois University Employee Reviews in United States

Great environment
Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Great Lakes, ILJuly 27, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed my job at the SIU admissions office. Being I was once a student of this offered program, it was nice to work on the other end of things, and help alleviate anticipations of incoming students. I really liked having the responsibility of being the office liaison, and being the direct connection between the university and students. I enjoyed giving the orientation presentations, as much as being in charge of recording grades, and maintaining files.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
temporary position
SIU is a major university with a wide range of programs and degrees
Writing Center Director/Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Medical/Dental Prep Program, School of MedicineDecember 15, 2011
The institution has a professional and dedicated faculty. Southern Illinois University (SIU) has the physical campus and the intellectual resources to support a diverse range of programs ad degrees. The university is committed to its mission and students.
Pros
excellent faculty and staff, large campus, diversity of areas of study.
Cons
state finances limit the school's development, lack of funding hurts stability.
Rewarding work due to teaching young minds
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMay 24, 2012
The typical day of work consisted of me managing grades, class procedures, lecture and office hours. I learned how to manage time because of my double role as a teacher and student. The supervisor let us control our classes and had an open door policy in case we did run into issues. The hardest part of the job was making sure that I got the students to understand the important points of each lecture. The most enjoyable part of my job was when a student would inform me how much they enjoyed the class I was teaching.
This experience has allowed me to work with a great team of people spread throughout the country.
Program Advisor, Aviation Management (Current Employee) –  Palomar College, San Marcos, CAJanuary 9, 2013
My day begins early in the morning and usually ends when outstanding matters are complete.

This position has allowed me to think outside the box.

The most enjoyable part of the job is making that phone call to students informing them that they have completed all requirements for their degree.
Pros
i do many things without true supervision. my supervisors are 3, 000 miles away.
Cons
because my supervisors are so far away, i feel at times, they have no idea what i do on a daily basis.
Family friendly location
Postdoctoral research associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILSeptember 6, 2013
I am in research. The medical doctors look down on PhDs because they think that we are the scum of the scientific world. Most of the departmental faculty treat you like you are a brainless oaf while they are the expert-gods of their restricted fields of research. But, the university provides good benefits (health, dental, optical and life) for you and your dependents.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no respect for the juniors.
SIU was a very opportunity for all employes and students.
Secretary III Lesar School of Law (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 12, 2012
Southern Illinois University was a pleasant place to work and offered many different opportunities. Each department I worked at always prepared me for the next one I transfered to another one. I enjoyed all of the departments I worked in. I got along very well with Professors, secretaries and all coworkers. I was very happy at SIU until I returned to Chicago after my father died to become a care giver to my mother. I lived in Carbondale for 14 years and worked for the University for 12 years. I also took classes for Administrative Secretary.
Pros
employes were always encouraged to take classes toward degrees.
Cons
we could take classes on lunch hours and could always make up time.
Friendly People, Rich laboratories, Beautiful Campus.
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILJanuary 26, 2015
I have found very friendly faculties, staff, students here. There are several laboratories with various sophisticated instruments for research. And, of course, the campus is really awesome.
Teaching assistant at SIU-C
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale IlJuly 22, 2014
Typical days was teaching a course on Java, office hours.
Learned that I didn't want to be a teacher.
Professors were great.
Other graduate assistants were great too.
Hardest part of the job was giving lectures.
Best part was hanging out with the other grad assistants during office hours.
Pros
low pressure work
Cons
low pay.
Loved this job!
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carbondale ILJuly 24, 2012
I enjoyed working w new students to the University and assisting them w housing needs; management persons were very knowledgeable and extremely helpful; I was able to balance being a Resident Assistant w being a full time college student w no problems; my fellow RAs were wonderful to work with
Pros
lots of face-to-face interactions
Cons
only during my college years
Able to be exposed to different diversity in students
Staff Clerk (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILDecember 13, 2013
I loved working at the university. The students that attended were from different areas from all over the world. It was fun being able to experience the different cultures that was represented by our college community.
Benefits from the college was excellent.
Pros
paid holidays
Cons
lack of supervision skills from supervisors
Educating student population and giving them experience to grow
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, IllinoisMarch 3, 2012
• Designed, implemented, and evaluated innovative group exercise and personal training programs that responded to individual student/member needs and encouraged the development of healthy habits;
• Maintained an accurate inventory of all group exercise and personal training equipment;
• Assisted in projecting accurate membership and clientele revenue and staffing expenses for program budgets;
• Met with student organizations and campus departments on routine basis to develop program familiarity and encourage involvement in group exercise and personal training programs;
• Served as a departmental representative on campus and community committees that promoted health and wellness initiatives.
• Coordinator of special events. Zumba Core for the cure.
fun working with students
Food Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILApril 3, 2013
Worked with food routing, stocking, preparing, cleaning equipment, montioring student.

That alot of students are not allowed to touch certain kinds of food, due to there culture.

Management was good.

Co-workers was good eager to learn.

There really wasn't one

Loved working with food and students..

Great Job.
Pros
students
Cons
cleaning the fryer vats
Very Fun and active place
Financial Aid Advisor III (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILSeptember 17, 2013
Assisting students getting their financial aid together. The people in the office where great considering the amount of traffic that come through daily. Everybody wanted the best for the students and management encouraged growth.
Pros
always something to do and my immediate supervisor. loved her too death
Cons
a set schedule
Fun Place, Orderly conducted
Athletic Department, Videographer (Former Employee) –  Edwardsville, ILNovember 3, 2013
I Go to work and stream live the sports games from the camera. I learned how to make graphic designs and make different graphics for basketball games. My co-workers are fun to work with. The hardest part of my job is making the replay's for the game. The enjoyable part of my job is being around all the fans and crowd.
Fun and exciting
Laboratory Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 2, 2015
This position allowed for independent learning and interactive discussion of results. Hardest part of job was the constant negative results.
Good Student Job
Student Worker-Institutional Research (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILFebruary 2, 2015
This is a very good job for a student at SIUC. I absolutely loved the people I work with and they were very helpful and proactive in helping me be successful as a student as well.
I have a great time
teacher assistant (Former Employee) –  College of EducationMarch 5, 2014
I was here for education. I did my doctoral degree with the exceptional support of the professors and I have the great opportunity to teach I was very loved by my students because they knew I care about them
Pros
teaching and learning was fun
Cons
end of semesters very hectic due to unsubmitted homework and projects
Great workplace for a student as long as you can find a meaningful job.
Information Technology Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carbondale, ILMarch 14, 2014
Majority of student employees are paid minimum wage, regardless of their job responsibilities. However, it is a great opportunity to get your feet wet, especially if you can find employment that is relevant to your studies.
I enjoyed working with the instructors.
Secretary II Transcriber (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 16, 2012
Was responsible for shippping out all supplies for traveling instructors to military bases for the Industrial Technology dept. When the instructors returned to SIU, I would process all paperwork for their travel and make travel arrangements for their next class.
Taught high school age youth the basic of architecture.
Architecture Instructor (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILOctober 28, 2013
This job was a lot of fun. Although it is hard to keep order in a classroom where there is little leverage for maintaining order in the classroom the students don't get any grades or anything. The class pretty much required that I gained the students respect.Afterwards I am able to steer the direction of the class.
A typical day usually starts by me explaining a project and having the students start on the projects in teams.
They usually have a lot of questions and complaints until I explain what I expect from them more thoroughly. A project usually last for about or a week or two or until most of the students in the class or finish. After that I explain a new project using 2 dimensional and 3D models or or projections.
Pros
i was able to influence young peoples lives in a positive way.
Cons
because of the lack of leverage on the students it is hard to push students to do their best.

4.3