Southern Maine Community College

Southern Maine Community College Employer Reviews

A very relaxing campus, but with limited access to facilities
College Work Study, Technical Assistant (Former Employee), South Portland, MEAugust 29, 2014
Pros: great campus and faculty, decent food, awesome view of the coast
Cons: limited access to facilities
I didn’t know what to expect when attending Southern Maine Community College, but I went in with high hopes. The dorms were ok as far as dorms go. There are nice rooms and a lot of unnecessary parties that happen about once a week, and do get busted by police once a week. I don’t see the appeal in partying before exams, it just seems so barbaric. As – more... for the campus, it is probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen when I was nineteen years old. The beaches, the historic monuments, the fields, and the campus it’s self looked fashionable and attractive for newcomers. I didn’t have any issue with locating offices or classes, and I didn’t have any problems with talking with other students or the people who worked there. It was a great first year to say the least.

As for the employees and instructors who work there, I have no underlining issues with any of them. They were fun, respectable people just trying to get through every day as an SMCC employee, and having a blast doing so.

Now for the first problem with Southern Maine Community College, this was limited access to facilities and in my case the computer labs. As a student learning how to operation computers and software I required a lot of time with a computer, but the computer labs were closed at nights and on weekends, which really put an itch in my schedule. I couldn’t afford a computer of my own, and people were not very lending of their own computers. So, the best plan for me was to reassess my schedule so I could work on a computer during the morning hours and then do the rest of my homework at night when I didn’t need a computer. My first year of college was rough, but I did the best I could with what I had.

My last semester of college was when I finally got into work study so I could keep the computer lab open for students on the weekends, which really improved my grades as well as all the other students who needed a computer on the weekend. When I wasn’t required to required work for my boss I was left to work on my homework in the computer lab. I was a very happy student worker.
For the most part the work was easy, but there were days when I was a mess and sweating from trying to put equipment into far reach places (any technicians would relate to this kind of struggle). I didn’t break, and I found myself having a delight with this kind of work; which is to set up class rooms with mikes and cameras, computer access, etc. I was always busy and I learned a lot of extra tid-bits that I didn’t get from in class text book lectures.

Southern Maine Community College is, overall, and great place to learn, work, and meet fresh faces. I recommend SMCC to any students who are not sure of which school to go to. – less
Flexible and Friendly environment
Adjunct Faculty (Former Employee), South Portland, MEAugust 21, 2014
The first few minutes in class is set aside for the class group discussion. This involved discussing the topics from the previous class and questions related to daily assignments.

Assignments are handed out, collected and evaluated and returned to the students on regular basis. The scores are recorded on Excel Worksheet and updated on regular basis.

This – more... is followed by in-class instruction that includes board work as well as using technology with graphical displays. Demonstrations are given during class hours and during tutoring hours. The class ends with a review of the topics discussed on that particular class.

Tutoring hours are listed in the syllabus and this is given out on the first day of the semester. Students show up during these hours for additional help with the subject material, online assignments and help with the computer usage. Tutoring is mostly done on 1-1 basis.

Quizzes and tests are conducted and their the scores are recorded periodically. At any point of time, a student can check his/her grades to know the amount of progress they have made, during that semester.

It is friendly environment where the instructors are easily accessible to the students. There is a sense of community and the faculty respect and help each other and at the same time, value the interests of the students

I have had a wonderful experience reaching out to the diverse groups of students. The tutoring hours made it possible to reach out to the individuals who were challenged with the subject material, language, and technology, etc – less
fun work environment and fun people
Studio Moniter (Former Employee), South Portland, MEJuly 10, 2014
Pros: access to printing materials, fun to work with people when they came in
Cons: occasionally miscommunication with supervisor as we could not see each other in person all the time
I did not have any co-workers. I had supervisors I had to check in with, but I primarily was alone in the printmaking studio. A typical day I would arrive at the studio an hour to an hour and a half before studio hours, which would give me enough time to bring out all the supplies needed for anyone who came in. After that I would check materials to – more... see if anything needed to be replaced or cleaned or fixed or anything like that, and would tend to that. After this, I would wait. Sometimes there was busy work to do while waiting, but sometimes there was nothing to be done. This would have been the hardest part of the job just waiting with nothing to do, but I usually used to time to work on my own prints for class. On busy days students would come in. My job then was to make sure everyone knew I was available to help if they needed as, as they wouldn't always ask me themselves. Then if they needed help, I would teach the student each step and make sure they understood it enough to be able to do it on their own. If it was a slow day, sometimes I would clean up a little early to make sure I got out on time. If no one shows up an half an hour before closing then no one is going to show up, or if they do they won't have time to do any assignment. If it were a busy day, though, I would not mind keeping the studio open a little later to ensure everyone got what they needed to do done. I would still work here, but this position is only available to students who are currently in the class, and I had graduated. – less
Wonderful teaching environment
Adjunct Faculty, Anthropology (Current Employee), South Portland, MEApril 28, 2014
Pros: facilities, staff, students, programs, activities
Cons: no benefits, limited teaching hours
I have enjoyed teaching at SMCC since 2011. Having worked on 3 of its campuses, I find the staff, students and colleagues to be friendly and supportive.
Productive and fun work place
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), South Portland, MEApril 1, 2013
Professors and faculty are wonderful to work with. Work environement varies along with the skill level. Co-workers are great and hard working.
Great place to work.
Associate Professor - Social Sciences (Current Employee), South Portland, MESeptember 27, 2012
Pros: location, co-workers, administration.
Cons: pay
SMCC is an excellent community college located on the ocean in Maine. The administration's goal is to continually improve the educational experience of the students. The faculty care about the students and the students care about their education.
Great/ friendly place to work!
Secretary (Former Employee), South Portland, MEApril 12, 2012
Pros: flexible hours, great people
I was employed at SMCC while I was enrolled at the college. It was a great place to work and had very flexible hours.