Southern Management Corporation Employee Reviews

Somewhat enjoyable
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Silver Spring, MD 20910April 19, 2017
My time with Southern Management was somewhat enjoyable. One of the annoying things about my employment however, was that I was constantly being moved to different pools even when I did not have sufficient transportation means.
can be hard without support from manager
Front Desk Professional and Leasing Professional (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2017
Work at Southern isn't all that hard, but when you have a manager that expects things and doesn't let you know their expectations (because they aren't in your job description), it can be hard to cope or even feel comfortable coming to work. The work itself was very enjoyable.
Pros
Laid-back work environment
Cons
Undisclosed Expectations
a typical day at work
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAApril 6, 2017
Sorted and filed payment receipts and invoices, organized the 2010 community file folders, put credit card receipts in numerical order, and independently operate office machines like photocopier, shredder, fax and telephone
Fun workplace positive atomsphere
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  LandoverMarch 8, 2017
Working at southern management could be possibly one the best jobs. Good positive energy surrounded by you & everyone there are professionals. Working there you can talk have a lil fun & still maintain a steady pace in getting your work done
Great Place to work
Regional Leasing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 7, 2017
I've been with the company for nine years and its a great place to work that great compensation, benefits, culture, training, and opportunities for advancement.
Leasing Specialist/Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAMarch 7, 2017
Good place to work! Inclusive company culture that allows for all team members to grow and learn. Promotion potential within the company, as well as project team opportunities to change policies and/or procedures,
Great company!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Springfield, TNMarch 3, 2017
Great place to work! Wonderful people to work with. Not sure why it has bad reviews maybe previous people just had a bad work Ethics! Has allowed me to go back to school!
Pros
Clean, friendly, Fun
Cons
Excreise room next door
Southern was a great company to work for
Maintenance Technician I (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, VAMarch 2, 2017
Southern Management was a great company to work for there was always work to do.They also had classes they offer to you to improve your skill. There was a nice place to live and work. The management was different at each complex at my was very fair.
There was nothing hard about the job but on call after you may need help and do not get help.The most enjoyable part of the job was when the whole company join together for class of the cluster fun day
Terrible Company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 10, 2017
This company is so terrible to work for. They expect you to do a lot of work for such little pay. They don't expect you to have a life. They don't care about you as a person. All they care about is you making them money. Every one in upper management is two faced. If you don't meet your numbers you have to work one Saturday a month and two late nights a week and you don't get paid enough to do it.
Pros
Hour lunches, benefits, vacation
Cons
Management, late nights, terrible pay
Never again
Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaFebruary 3, 2017
I have never in my life worked for a company that cared for their employees so little. The company and management are so worried about the bottom dollar, it's beyond comprehension. The employees are basically dirt on the floor for them, lord forbid life happens and they can't make it to work because of an emergency. I actually had a member of Management ask me when I called in for an emergency where I had to call an ambulance for an immediate family member why I had to be at the hospital and what I expected that to do for anyone. They throw out how great the benefit package they offer is but be aware that they don't want you to use those vacation days, there's always a reason that weeks not a good week for you to go, and forget the medical because even sick your expected at work. You can figure out how to get the medicine you need during non business hours. Oh but wait! You get to work til 8pm or later twice a week unless it's month end then it's 3xs that week plus your gonna have to work the first Saturday of the month oh and don't expect any notice if something changes for them. Have a babysitter on hand at all times because they don't care if they only give 12 hours notice your expected to be there when the decide.

I will never work for this company again, Covington Credit, Quick Credit, Southern Management, it doesn't matter what they call it. It's nothing but a company of Cold Hearted managers, supervisors with no life and even less family.
Pros
Bonus potential for Branch Managers
Cons
Late nights, long hours, inability to use benefits
Productive high pace office
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 23, 2017
Southern management provides good benefits with a high pace office environment. Great team of workers that maintain customer service while performing collections activity. One can expect to develop over-the-phone as well as face-to-face interfacing experience at this company
Poor management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Athens, ALJanuary 23, 2017
The upper echelons have no idea of what they want to do as a result the rules of operation change from day to day. The Alabama/ GA regional president will yell at employees and managers in front of anyone, he does not care.
Moneyls gMaker
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDJanuary 14, 2017
I made a lot of money her working overtime to keep the complex full and looking good. I enjoyed help people find and apartment home some of them for the first time I know how that feed good
Pros
Helping others
Cons
Not able to help the ones that didnt quality
Great Temporary Job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 7, 2017
The worse part about this company was upper management and no work life balance. On several occasions human rights that are granted to all were threatened. Upper management constantly lied to employees in order to manipulate. Beware if you choose this company guaranteed in 30 days you will begin to see the manipulation and lies unravel. The pay is completely under what competitors are paying.
Pros
Customers are great, they become like family.
Cons
The company.
Great Company
Groundskeeper/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDJanuary 6, 2017
Loved working for this company, great place to work and live with lots of employee team activities, which created a great work family. I do miss working there.
Pros
Lots of employee activities
Cons
Had to work some weekends
fast paced fun work place
Server/Waiter (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDDecember 15, 2016
over all a good place to work at lots of benefits to working with the company. The CEO couldn't be any nicer he visits all his employees and greets them, I don't think many CEO's do that so it's a very special place to work at.
meeting lots of new people
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 6, 2016
I traveled from branch to branch to audit branches to make sure they are complying by state and company policies. I got tired of traveling so much that I was wanting to go back to the branch level, but there was no current openings at the time.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
travelled to much, gone from home
Don't do it
Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta-Richmond County, GAOctober 6, 2016
If you like forcing people into bankruptcy, leeching off the ill-informed and low income wage earners, and dealing with the dregs of society, then by all means work for this exceptionally poor excuse for a company.

There is nothing more heart wrenching than going with the county Marshals to fulfill a writ of execution on a customer that had NOTHING to begin with and all because you've pushed them to renew a loan ten times that you had no business lending them in the first place. This is a typical job duty for this predatory lending company.

The supervisors only care about you if you're meeting standards in collections and growth. They come around once a month and force you to make loans on people who are not qualified. And then they reprimand you when those loans go in default.

I guess to sum this up, if you have no moral standards, don't care what happens to those less fortunate than you, are not phased by destroying people's home life, and don't mind working Xmas eve then this is the company for you!
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
All aspects
info
Security Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oxon Hill, MDSeptember 28, 2016
Great place to work , great atmosphere , also the management was really helpful . It was so much fun working with people who actually needed the help.
Productive and fast paced work place
Leasing Professional (Former Employee) –  Capitol Heights, MDAugust 24, 2016
As soon as the phone lines are open to the public, you are on it. Phone calls range from inquiring future residents, to current resident complaints and concerns. As well as unpaid contractors, solicitors, and maintenance calls.

Professionally handle irate residents who visit the Leasing office for their concerns. Issue parking passes, maintenance tickets, community memos, etc.

Management is "Cooperate" goal oriented body.

the hardest part of the job was working in the office on weekends by yourself, performing the fore mentioned responsibilities.

The most enjoyable part, for me, was the fact that i lived on site
Pros
Discounted housing
Cons
The disconnect between residents in a lower income district and Upper mangement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Management Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7