Southern Management Corporation

Southern Management Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMay 28, 2016
The business as a whole is interesting and very fast paced. The management is terrible. The csr gets the most worst piled on them but makes the least amount of money. You are never congratulated or anything. The only thing you'll get from upper management is if you don't meet your standards and they take over half your bonus check in taxes. They scream you can get 500 in bonus money a month but I hit every standard and the most I've ever got was 225. Again the manager is horrible. Literally worst one I have ever had and ran me and many others off away from that place. Always out of work and didn't care about the employees and could not train, you had to learn on your own.
Pros
Hour lunch sick days personal days
Cons
Management..... Pay lack of care for employees
Dont waste your time
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  AlabamaMay 15, 2016
My branch manager was horrible! She sent us to do her job! Hours aren't bad but they gripe about you using your personal/sick days. They don't care about your family life. They want you there 5-6 days a week. Sun up to way past sun down. Upper management has no respect for their employees.
Pros
Hour lunch.
Cons
Management, hours, everything
NOT family oriented, does not care about employees, only $$$
CSR (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 12, 2016
Worst company I've ever come across. Load you down with responsibilities but do not compensate. Mgrs are really overworked and underpaid. Only focused on that bottom line/their profit
Worst Experience Ever
Part-Time Leasing Professional (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 8, 2016
I wouldn't recommend Southern to my enemy. Southern is hard on their employee's and do not have their backs when something happens. My boss literally threatened me if I left, would not let me transfer to a different community, made up lies about me, and turned everyone in the company against me. My only option was to leave.
Not for family people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 9, 2016
Probably the perfect job for someone with no other commitments or family . They are very concerned about their money but show no regard for employee safety or do they care if you have a family. I worked 40+ hrs a week with no paid over time ( often until after dark ) . as an assistant you go to past due customer homes to get them to pay ( yes , even in the dark and yes I am female!) ...unarmed . its not safe . they work you to death , you drive and destroy your personal vehicle and you better be able to fix it when it breaks or they will let you go. Just. don't .do. it!
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Safety, disrespect
Great job if you enjoy talking down to people
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaDecember 9, 2015
An average day consisted of making about 300+ phone calls a day and taking payments and opening and closing loans. Even if you get super busy, you better make sure everything gets done. If it doesn't the supervisor will be on the phone in a split second. If you don't get standard, no bonus. BY FAR the lowest paying loan company in the entire city. I mean, does upper management think that we don't talk to other people at other places??? The pay absolutely sucks for the work that is to be done. This company will take a toll on you emotionally, physically, and mentally. Field calling will take a toll on your vehicle much more quickly than you realize. The little 0.31 per mile just doesn't really cut it. Yes the checks look good when you get a lot of mileage, but you have to spend the money to get it back. Other than that, pay isn't usually but about $40-$50 more than a CSR every pay period; A CSR can go to Walmart and start off making more an hour than at Covington Credit. The way that they expect you to sit there and talk down to customers is absolutely crazy. Even though they maybe in the wrong, I was raised to respect my fellow man.... Not to talk to him like he is the scum of the earth. The atmosphere was kind of relaxed. For the most part everyone in the office got along great. Upper managment is extremely hard to work for. However, working for this company gave me a strong dose of reality that I needed. It exposed me to theives, liars, and people who love abusing authority...Good Riddance.
Pros
Resume builder, gave me experience
Cons
insurance, pay, managment, everything
Horrible place to work
manager (Current Employee) –  TNOctober 28, 2015
Worse company to work for ever. They think they own you. They do not train you then expect you to know the job. You put your life in danger by field calling to homes but they tell you not to have protection with you. Upper management is horrible to the employees.
Pros
Cons
upper management, no training, hours
company work place
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Bennettsville, SCOctober 5, 2015
Southern Management to me is a sound place to work. I have no hard feeling or bad taste for the company as a whole and would reccomend people to persue employment with the company
Nice Job
GROUNDS/MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Vienna VAJuly 7, 2015
was working with the company for years looking for something i can advance with, and doing. Was interested also in advancing my education as well.
Finance Company
Support (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCJuly 2, 2015
This is a growing company. Co-workers create a friendly work environment. Nice, new office space. Good pay. Good benefits.
the absolutely worst company
former employee (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJune 24, 2015
This company is by far the worst company ever to work for ...they only worry about you getting their money they do jot care if you have a family,if you have a life outside of this company. The turnover rate is so bad with this company which shows nobody wants to work for them at all. You do not get NO praise for anything you do at all,but if you do not make their set numbers for the month every month then you are definitely getting praise but it's not good.They expect you to work and work and work with no overtime for assistant managers saying its because they get paid mileage OK yes .33 cent is such a big help. This company is has no manager really that now how to so their job but a few and you are not a team the manager will talk about you to the other employee as the manager will do the same with the other . The outside field calls are very dangerous at times and they do not care for your safety as the manager is getting on the phone screaming at customers for a 52 dollar payment and putting your life at risk. I would never recommend this company to anyone at all EVER...
Great Company
Regional Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Downtown, BaltimoreJune 22, 2015
Worked for Property Manager Judson, at 39 West Lexington Street. He's possibly one of the best managers I've encountered in my five year property management career. He's an awesome manager who leads his team to become great leaders as well. My work experience with him is greatly appreciated. Should you get a chance to work under him, consider it a blessing.
Pros
Great leaders
Cons
a few bad apples
great work hours, poor management and very rude
customer service represntative (Current Employee) –  columbiaMay 21, 2015
southern management has a lot of potential, great hours and weekends off. They recently started taking 43% out of our bonus checks, what kind of incentive is that
Pros
hour lunch, perfect hours, weekends off
Cons
43% out of bonus check, no paid holidays, poor management
this is the worst company ive ever worked for
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  tennesseeMay 19, 2015
Bonus is good until the store becomes established.the manager I worked for was a not trust worthy and did not believe in telling the truth!they will hire you and not give you the proper training to do the job at the best of your abilities.i wouldn't recommend this company to anyone to anyone.yes you get benefits but they make it nearly impossible to use them.by far the worst company ive ever worked for.numbers are the most important aspect to them and that is it!
Pros
Cons
upper management
Life Guard/Pool Operator (Current Employee) –  MarylandApril 15, 2015
Working as a lifeguard, you are responsible for lives of people and you must tell patrons pool policies and safety tips about using pool.

Learning to communicate with different people from different countries.

Sometimes job could be stressful, because parents with little kids don't always watch them, and you must be sure that they stay safe.
Beware if you don't meet standards...
CSR (Former Employee) –  Harriman, TNMarch 2, 2015
I enjoyed being a customer service representative. Pay was great and bonuses were a plus if you met standards for the month. Don't expect praises for meeting your standards though. The only time you get any acknowledgement is when your office doesn't get all their numbers. The district supervisors are hard to work for. They make you feel low. The company only worries about you making them money. They also have a high turnover rate. Unless you plan on staying and moving up to a manager position in a different office then this isn't a job to stay at. And if you don't like harassing customers you will not like this job.
Pros
great pay
Cons
horrible upper management
Worst employer in 20 years of employment
Report Writer (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 18, 2014
This company has severe Project ADD.I worked at their corporate headquarters. They had no clear direction. One day I would be working on one project the next day they would cancel that project and have me working on something entirely differently. I was hired under a position title that I never even did the job for. There was confusion and misdirection and blame shifting every step of the way. I was fired at a moments notice for someone else's mistakes to cover them up. When interviewing I would ask for a chance to meet everyone in your chain of command before accepting the job, that would have saved me alot of trouble.

This advice would be to the CEO or CFO. Check the reputation of the companies you hire your upper management from. I found that someone came from a disreputable company with a very high turn over. Also, keep upper management from micromanaging those that middle management should be handling. You have good middle management that should be filling upper management positions.
Pros
middle management
Cons
upper management takes credit for work done and blame shifts for things their own fault.
branch manager
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Anderson, SCAugust 18, 2013
My day starts with a short meeting with my employees share the plan I have made for the day. I also delegate who should do what. I spend most of my day talking to customers and making credit decisions at the same time as getting my employees to follow me and train and equip them with the skills they need to manage. The hardest part of my job is balancing out how much time I spend at work. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to influence other people and educate them on how important credit is and getting to know my customers.
Pros
advancement oppertunity and values
Cons
long work hours
Great company
Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Columbia, TNSeptember 5, 2012
I had the ability to learn a new trade within this company. Great managers taught me well. I was able to take these teachings and grow to a new position.

2.9