Southern Methodist University

Southern Methodist University Employee Reviews

Fun work place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 20, 2015
This was my on-campus job. The pay is average and you get to decide the shifts you want to undertake.
The management is good as well.
Good environment
Associate Director (Former Employee), TXApril 6, 2015
Pros: Free tuition, professional environment, lots of time off, great 403b match, highly regarded institution.
Cons: Health insurance is just bad! No loyalty towards employees. Highly political.
It is a typical higher learning institution. The management is a little stiff, but very professional. If you like a highly political environment this is the place for you.
Productive environment
Professor of Practice (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMarch 17, 2015
Pros: Flexible hours.
Cons: Can't think of any.
Nice campus, great location, diverse culture and discipline and you can build nice network here with quite a lot people from upper level families.
Productive, efficient and quick in providing technical support.
IT Help Desk (Current Employee), Office Of Information TechnologyFebruary 23, 2015
The IT help desk is one of the best places to work at SMU.
At the IT Help Desk, I learnt to stay up-to-date with the latest tech issues and resolve them in a timely manner. It helped me assist customers in configuring their laptops/mobiles/tablets to use the university WiFi and other applications provided by SMU. It helped me hone my analytical and troubleshooting skills.
Ok Place to work
(Part-time Seasonal) - McFarlin Auditorium (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: great exposure to world-class events
Cons: difficult to advance
Very hard to get promoted unless you are a brownnoser. Revolving door type of environment. Development tends to hire a lot of young people.
Nice location, beautiful campus, great class and research
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 28, 2014
Nice location, beautiful campus, great class and research
Pleasant working conditions
Professor of Practice (Current Employee), Sport Management DepartmentOctober 21, 2014
New degreeprogram in Sport Management is highly popular resulting in large classes. At times, number of students in a class restrict potential teaching-learning exercises.

Fringe benefits above average
Great for entry level or more mature
Associate Director (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2014
Pros: great tuition benefits
Great experience for entry level as tuition benefits is favorable. It is more relaxed than other environments, however is not great for younger career minded people.
Work enviroment to provide best education
Director of Operations (Current Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 30, 2014
8:30a-5:00p
Frequent communication with Faculty/Staff
Advise students to fulfill curriculum requirements
Time Manager for assistants and student workers
SMU Study Abroad
Assistant to the Associate Director (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 23, 2014
• Audited the financial statements of SMU’s Study Abroad and Internship Programs
• Developed payment request and transfer forms to pay both domestic and foreign vendors
• Coordinated with the Accounting Department to ensure a balanced budget
• Modeled future budgets for study abroad programs in Russia, Italy, England, and Spain
• Assisted the Study Abroad and International Studies teams with travel reports
Great Experience
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment, exciting and fun position
Cons: a lot of accounting and math that takes weeks to get correct
I was a receptionist/assistant coordinator. It was a great work environment and fun position.
Good people
Wellness instructor (Former Employee), DallasJuly 29, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: recalcitrant students
I enjoyed working here for many years, but finally teaching a freshman required class just became too draining and I quit.
Great workplace
Intern for Provost and VP for Academic Affairs (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJune 20, 2014
Work on my own schedule to meet deadlines. Managements was amazing. Experience gained from position is unforgettable.
Great Place to work
Constituent Records Temporary Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 29, 2014
Pros: education benefits for employee and family
Cons: limited parking
Provides many opportunities to work with a wide variety of people for many cultures.
Laser Technology
Research Engineer and Graduate Student (Current Employee), Dallas, TexasApril 14, 2014
I work as a research engineer as I'm completing graduate school. Our lab has an extensive collection of laser technologies including a 4kW fiber laser, an 8kW direct diode, a 10 kW disk laser, a 1 kW fiber coupled diode laser, and a few short pulsed lasers. I have worked on projects for laser welding of aluminum and laser powder deposition of high value alloys on mild steel.
SMU
Strength and Conditioning Coach Intern (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 1, 2014
It was one of the best times of my life I really like working there other than the coach I was working for got fired.
Help desk support to SMU faculty, staff (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2014
I learned configuring with new devices
Increased communication skills
It is nice school
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 1, 2013
I was working on my research at SMU. I think my skills improved significantly through the research and classes I took and taught. The professors here are really nice. The students are cool. The environment is good and helpful.
SMU is a private, medium-sized university.
Full-time Lecturer and Departmental Safety Officer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2013
SMU is a private, medium-sized university with a good chemistry department.
Productive and friendly environment.
Administrative/Faculty Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 15, 2013
Pros: no micro-managing, relaxed, but hardworking workplace, an annual employee appreciation luncheon and employee campus-wide picnic.
Cons: increase in healthcare payments and decrease in the amount of raises.
Productive, warm and friendly atmosphere. Management does not micro-manage. Co-workers are like family (some of them are actually family).When one of us is absent, there is someone to step in to take up the slack. It's a team effort. Acknowledgement of service and achievements of employees quarterly. Most enjoyable part of my work is working with the law students on the law journals.

Southern Methodist University Salaries