Southern Methodist University Employee Reviews

Nice Place to work
Networking Lab Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 21, 2017
Worked on campus for 2 years while I was enrolled in my masters in telecommunication and networking program at SMU. I worked for the recreational department as a supervisor in dedman center for lifetime sports.
Fast-paced, dynamic work environment
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2017
SMU is an academic setting, so all positions at the college seemed influenced by competition between scholars and departments amongst one another. It's bureaucratic and frustrating sometimes, but it's not too bad.
Pros
beautiful environment
Cons
complicated administrative procedures
Not bad for a work study position.
Student Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 6, 2017
I had a work study position at the school. I was lucky in that I got a position quickly, and the people there were really understanding when I had to take some time off for school-related stuff.

Heads up: The last time I was there, which was 2016, they were doing construction and totally messed up the parking situation for us students.
It was very fun working there , the other employees made it very exciting to work there
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2017
Working at SMU was the best job of my life and I wish I could go back and do it again ! I was only 16 getting paid $15 an hour for 4 10 hour days. I was so excited going into work because I had my own office and I did all my work with ease.
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
You HAD to be on top of your work!
Little pay, convenience
Stage Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 30, 2017
As a student on work-study, the jobs here pay very little but provide flexible hours and convenient locations. I can study as I work as well as work for my peers and friends.
Good place for graduate student assistant work
Graduate Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 24, 2017
Served at SMU during the IT centralization initiative, collectively called "Shared Services", it was a challenging time of transition, as colleges, public and private, look to streamline operations and reduce operational costs. Enjoyed working there and learning a new IT and operational environment.
Undergraduate Degree
Senior Design Capstone Project (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 29, 2017
Good engineering school and great networking opportunities. I've been very proud to attend this institution. Would recommend to anyone to recruit here!
Productive and family environment
Senior Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 24, 2017
An enjoyable place to work, filled with great people who like to work hard, but never forget you're human. I learned much about what it meant to work as part of a team, and later what it meant to lead a team of my own. I discovered a love of working with people that I didn't know I had before, and find myself a better person for the experiences i had there. Despite the long hours and occasionally tough time working with specific people, there is no part of me that regrets working there.
Pros
Frienly work environment
Cons
Hours
Great Place to Work
Student Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 23, 2017
Time spent at SMU was very positive. They offer great benefits (tuition reimbursement was great), but the pay wasn't great. Also, there was not much room for advancement.
Pros
Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Low Pay, Not a lot of chances for advancement
Best Place Ever
Recording Engineer and Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 21, 2017
Worked with many talented and competent individuals while working at SMU on a tuition assistance program. Working with individuals of such talent had its occasional drawbacks, but overall, I found it very engaging and enjoyable
Productive and informative
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 12, 2017
help build leadership quality while handling inter-disciplinary labs also help get involve in most of day to day crunch and help resolve issues in real time environment.
Great environment
Equipment Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 7, 2017
A great experience with a great opportunity to see the internal operations of a division 1 athletic department. Great boss who is one of the best at what he does and many opportunities to show you are capable of more responsibilities.
Pros
Opportunities to travel with team, great management
Cons
Only part time
Nice meetings
Graduate Student Assembly (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 29, 2017
As a member of Graduate Student Assembly, we discussed on how to distribute funds in order to support student's academic expense. Our team is very fair, we always vote for decisions.
It was an organization
Social Media Lead (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2017
I was volunteering, later this semester i was offered a position as an proctor on-campus. The university is a great place to study, and explore the diversity.
Web developer
staff (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 21, 2017
Too short to do justice for NCEQ as I have only been there for less than 6 month. However, staff there are generally nice and we were working on some exciting projects.
Nice work environment.
Student Office Worker (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 19, 2016
My co-workers were kind and welcoming, and my supervisor was understanding when I needed to take time off for academic reasons.
Good place for experienced IT professional
Web Manager, System Administrator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 12, 2016
Small university IT department.
Small management structure.
Employs university students.
Great educational benefits.
Pros
Challenging
Cons
Individuals have tendency to get pigeon-holed for particular tasks or expertise
Fun place to work at
Graduate Teaching Assistantship (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 21, 2016
As I was working along with my studies The management was good and by luck I had very good co-workers as well who helped me. I had fun here. Good place to stay as well.
Great place to work!
Financial and Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 25, 2016
I worked there for over 7 years and really enjoyed it, the people, the culture, and the beautiful campus.

Being an institute of higher education, they really want the Bachelor's and advanced degrees if you wish to obtain a job higher than administrative.

Great benefits as well.
Pros
Benefits, prestigious place to work, exposure to campus activities and lectures
Cons
Difficult to get hired and even harder to obtain promotion without bachelor's degree
Great Place to Work
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 12, 2016
Great place to be a professor. Staff and department are very supportive. The students are excellent. It was a wonderful place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Methodist University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3