Southern Methodist University

Southern Methodist University Employer Reviews

Great for entry level or more mature
Associate Director (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 1, 2014
Pros: great tuition benefits
Great experience for entry level as tuition benefits is favorable. It is more relaxed than other environments, however is not great for younger career minded people.
Work enviroment to provide best education
Director of Operations (Current Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 30, 2014
8:30a-5:00p
Frequent communication with Faculty/Staff
Advise students to fulfill curriculum requirements
Time Manager for assistants and student workers
SMU Study Abroad
Assistant to the Associate Director (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 23, 2014
• Audited the financial statements of SMU’s Study Abroad and Internship Programs
• Developed payment request and transfer forms to pay both domestic and foreign vendors
• Coordinated with the Accounting Department to ensure a balanced budget
• Modeled future budgets for study abroad programs in Russia, Italy, England, and Spain
• Assisted the Study – more... Abroad and International Studies teams with travel reports – less
Great Experience
Assistant Coordinator (Former Employee), Dallas, TXSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: friendly work environment, exciting and fun position
Cons: a lot of accounting and math that takes weeks to get correct
I was a receptionist/assistant coordinator. It was a great work environment and fun position.
Good people
Wellness instructor (Former Employee), DallasJuly 29, 2014
Pros: good people
Cons: recalcitrant students
I enjoyed working here for many years, but finally teaching a freshman required class just became too draining and I quit.
Great workplace
Intern for Provost and VP for Academic Affairs (Former Employee), Dallas, TexasJune 20, 2014
Work on my own schedule to meet deadlines. Managements was amazing. Experience gained from position is unforgettable.
Great Place to work
Constituent Records Temporary Assistant (Former Employee), Dallas, TXMay 29, 2014
Pros: education benefits for employee and family
Cons: limited parking
Provides many opportunities to work with a wide variety of people for many cultures.
Laser Technology
Research Engineer and Graduate Student (Current Employee), Dallas, TexasApril 14, 2014
I work as a research engineer as I'm completing graduate school. Our lab has an extensive collection of laser technologies including a 4kW fiber laser, an 8kW direct diode, a 10 kW disk laser, a 1 kW fiber coupled diode laser, and a few short pulsed lasers. I have worked on projects for laser welding of aluminum and laser powder deposition of high value – more... alloys on mild steel. – less
SMU
Strength and Conditioning Coach Intern (Former Employee), Dallas, TXApril 1, 2014
It was one of the best times of my life I really like working there other than the coach I was working for got fired.
Help desk support to SMU faculty, staff (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJanuary 18, 2014
I learned configuring with new devices
Increased communication skills
It is nice school
Research/Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXNovember 1, 2013
I was working on my research at SMU. I think my skills improved significantly through the research and classes I took and taught. The professors here are really nice. The students are cool. The environment is good and helpful.
SMU is a private, medium-sized university.
Full-time Lecturer and Departmental Safety Officer (Former Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 31, 2013
SMU is a private, medium-sized university with a good chemistry department.
Productive and friendly environment.
Administrative/Faculty Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 15, 2013
Pros: no micro-managing, relaxed, but hardworking workplace, an annual employee appreciation luncheon and employee campus-wide picnic.
Cons: increase in healthcare payments and decrease in the amount of raises.
Productive, warm and friendly atmosphere. Management does not micro-manage. Co-workers are like family (some of them are actually family).When one of us is absent, there is someone to step in to take up the slack. It's a team effort. Acknowledgement of service and achievements of employees quarterly. Most enjoyable part of my work is working with the – more... law students on the law journals. – less
SMU is a small but great university.
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 9, 2013
Pros: .
Cons: .
As a graduate research assistant, I and my colleagues are working on advanced manufacturing processes at RCAM (research center for advanced manufacturing). The working atmosphere is great and friendly. To satisfy the level of expectations, majority of our daily time is dedicated to work, however it is accompanied by learning a lot of experimental procedures – more... and numerical methods in manufacturing area. – less
The hardest part of the job
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee), Dallas, TXOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great, fun, college atmosphere.
Cons: workload was excessive
The most difficult part of the job was the workload per person.
Productive and fun place to learn in
Research Assistant (Current Employee), ME DepartmentAugust 27, 2013
I love interacting with my colleagues and learning from each and every one of them!
Southern Methodist University was an excellent company to look for.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Bellaire, TXAugust 21, 2013
Pros: the pros of this job were the people i worked with, the students, and the fulfilling position i held.
Cons: the cons of this position were that it ended way too soon.
This job afforded me the opportunity to work for a school that prided itself in the care it gave to it's students while giving them the best education available.
My typical day at work started with setting up and getting ready for the coprorate classes that we hosted on a daily basis. Once this was complete I spent my time enrolling students, working – more... up a class schedule for the upcoming semester, accounts receivable, assisting the director, and filling in for the receptionist when needed.
This job was most enjoyable, at almost all times, but this satellite school closed due to low enrollment and I was forced to find another job. – less
nice place
Visiting professor (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 26, 2013
Pros: nice academiv environment
Cons: low payment.
An excellent place to learn.
worked as research assistant, then postdoctoral consultant.
had a respectful adviser.
Great people and environment!
Associate Director, Direct Marketing (Current Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2013
It is an exciting time to work for SMU! There is a lot of interest, support and momentum in celebration of SMU's centennial.
Southern Methodist University provides a fantastic environment for individual growth.
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJune 16, 2013
A typical day at work is challenging and rewarding. I enjoy my co-workers and management team. It was a tremendous opportunity for me to complete my degree while working at SMU.