Southern Nazarene University Employee Reviews

Chaotic Environment in financial aid
Financial Aid Counselor PGS Tulsa (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKOctober 19, 2017
Respond to student email and phone requests.
Review documentation for accuracy.
Follow up on missing documentation
Research financial aid questions and guidelines.
Pros
Co-workers
Cons
Lack of training
Some good people
Department Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKOctober 16, 2017
Nice holidays.
Good working hours.
Educational opportunities.
Self-sufficient employees.
Managers have flex hours.
Insurance is fair.
Family friendly.
Cons
Pay
Would not recommend this company
Loan Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKAugust 5, 2017
Southern Nazarene University is a very class-centered workplace. I loved the majority of the people I worked with, but the culture is one of disparagement for anyone without a doctorate.
A typical day is generally more than 8 hours, and very stressful. The systems and processes are clunky and outdated, and the workload extremely heavy.
Pros
Decent benefits
Cons
Poor management
In-bred, nepotistic college employer...
Associate Professor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJuly 3, 2017
This college is like a little town unto itself...everyone knows everyone, and often new hires are made from within, often from within families who are already employed there. The reverse is true, then: if you were an outside hire and someone from within wants you gone, for whatever reason, you are gone. There is no fairness, no protection here. So with this being the case, it should be no surprise that there are no tenure contracts at SNU...the kind of tenure that exists here is the kind that only nepotism can ensure.
Educating and warm
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKMay 31, 2017
I enjoyed the staff but most of all the learning and teaching environment. It was a great opportunity in my life, but also getting to meet the future grad students and what they had to offer in the world of Psychology.
Pros
Environment
Summer camp: Public Relations
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKMay 17, 2017
You must attend Southern Nazarene University to apply. You attend summer camps for the Oklahoma district and rep SNU and everything that it stands for while having fun with the kids.
Management Changes Needed
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKApril 6, 2017
I loved working here but left due to issues with management. Being a Christian University doesn't mean you need to let some employees walk all over management.
fun and energetic
Administrative Assistant Graduate Studies Nursing (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKMarch 24, 2017
My typical day would consist of enrollment, preparing class materials, answering the phone, interacting with students and faculty. Learned the process of preparing for commencement and the values of Christ.
Pros
discount on college tuition
Cons
it really wasn't a bad place
Great work environment
Student Worker/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKMarch 19, 2017
This university is a wonderful faith-based community full of passionate people. Although the compensation is not the highest, it is a rewarding place to work.
Hardworking but Rewarding Job
Barn Hand (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKJanuary 6, 2017
I would arrive to the barn,early in the morning, and make sure that each horse has their designated food. I would catch horses and tie them up to fences so that when the camp kids arrived, they could prepare their horse for the day. Some horses received a second and third meal everyday. I also mucked out stalls and filled water. There were also odd jobs such as moving hay and horses.

Want to know more about Southern Nazarene University?

Ask a question
Great People
Strength and Conditioning Assistant Coach (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKNovember 9, 2016
Enjoyed working with my peers on a daily basis. SNU has tremendous football facilities as well as a supportive administration. I would strongly encourage anybody to work here.
Able to work around my own schedule
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKFebruary 11, 2016
I would work daily and would come in and file what needed to be filed and than I would work in the data base to enter any new applicant. I have learned to type a lot quicker and to be patient when I have to wait for tasks to do. My management was very friendly and reasonable. Great people. The hardest part of my job would be having to wait for projects to do. The most enjoyable part would have to be the people I work with, never a dull moment in this office.
SNU Crew
Public Relations Team Member (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKNovember 2, 2015
I love what Southern Nazarene University utilizes their Public Relation teams for, but can't stand the pay. You basically spend an entire summer working all day, and make no real paycheck. Management is very disorganized, and there is a lot that could be improved upon, but still a great experience to be a part of.
Pros
Love the Experience of impacting peoples lives
Cons
Hate everything else.
SNU - Tulsa is an Awesome Place to Work!
Advising, Testing, and Technology (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 29, 2015
Co-workers are like family and love coming to work, just to see how everyone is doing!

For me, a typical day is a lot of paperwork and connecting with the learners. Keeping up with where each learner is in their academic planning and making sure everyone is on track to graduate!

This is the best part of my job is that I love working with the learners. I get to be there when they start a program and then see them walk across the stage at graduation!
Pros
No one standing over your shoulder - Everyone has a job and everyone does their job!
Excellent colleagues
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 1, 2015
Very caring and understanding faculty and staff who truly work together and wish for you to succeed. Questions are always answered and emails are answered in a timely manner.
Pros
wonderfully supportive atmosphere
Cons
small campus
Fun and rewarding place to work
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKAugust 9, 2015
This place was a well run university. A very caring and rewarding organization to work for because of the care for the students who were either prospective new students or their current students.
Pros
The care of each employee
Creative and challenging position
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKJuly 6, 2015
This position was life-changing and directed me towards my hopeful future. Not only did I receive many benefits, I built relationships and an atmosphere directed towards positive learning environment.
Bad work enviroment
Night Shift Security Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OKMay 18, 2015
It was a hostile work environment, with low pay, uncomfortable office with faulty air conditioner/heating. Supervisor was an ex-cop who liked to yell rather than getting the true story about anything. Created policies on the fly, even violating the colleges policies, creating misunderstandings and chaos. Unresponsive upper management who would never listen to subordinate complaints about him. Inappropriate and unprofessional verbal and written critique by this supervisor bordering on illegal.
Pros
Work was easy
Cons
Putting up with supervisors inappropriate harassing behavior not worth it
Enjoyable people to work with and teach.
Equine Director/Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethany, OKJanuary 13, 2015
A typical day would include managing feeding horses, administrating medication, riding, coaching, selling of horses, recruiting, etc.
The students and horses at SNU are incredible to work with! I am thankful for this job teaching me a lot about adaptability, because of all the different people, horses and activities that take place. I learn something new everyday.
Great office, low pay!
Employee (Former Employee) –  Bethany, OklahomaJanuary 13, 2015
Love my supervisor, love my job but the management team hides behind the "small,private, Christian school" to keep wages low when there are less expensive, small, private, Christian schools that pay their employees much, much better.