Southern Ohio Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

hard work but very productive
Certified Surgical Technologist, CST (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 16, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at SOMC. It was hard work and required maximum dedication. I learned patience and I stayed focus driven, and how to set goals and achieve them. Management was nice for the most part. Always answered any questions I had. The work environment was very fun and exciting. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Pros
healthcare
Easy work, great environment,
Intern at SOMC L.I.F.E. Center (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 30, 2015
As an intern, I was responsible for helping to maintain a clean facility, assisting in the cardiopulmonary rehab department, and providing a helping hand for PEC (performance enhancement center). My tasks included the following: cleaning machines, taking blood pressure/RPE/oxygen saturation rates, running fitness activities for athletes, sweeping floors, folding towels, and working at the front desk. It was a little bit of everything. The co-workers were nice and easy to confront. I enjoyed socializing with the L.I.F.E. Center members as well as the cardiopulmonary patients. I never had a problems with any of the members I was helping to serve. However, there were several spells of boredom as I interned at the facility. I would oftentimes find myself folding more towels than necessary since there was nothing left for me to do. This may also be due to the fact that two other interns were stationed at the same time as me. Our times were poorly planned and inconvenient more times than not.

Most of my learning was in the cardiopulmonary rehab department. This is where I gained essential skills, such as blood pressure readings, oxygen saturation readings, and rate of perceived exertion. I had to closely monitor patients and ensure their safety during workout sessions. It was an enlightening experience!
Pros
Friendly people, friendly atmosphere, nice facility.
Cons
Unorganized, slow pace.
ok place to work
Assistant Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 1, 2015
very busy, high overturn of staff, I learned a lot in management, good co-workers, working with low staff numbers is the hardest, enjoyed my patients the most.
Pros
education on site
Cons
high cost to employees for meals, low educational college tuition help/ no help after BSN, topped off ceilings on long term employees, longevity doesn't carry any weight with jobs, holidays off, ect.
One of Ohio's Number One Employers
Nutrition Department Call Center Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHFebruary 2, 2013
Southern Ohio Medical Center is one of the best hospitals in Ohio. They offer a wonderful benefits plan and job security.
Pros
great benefits package
Cons
could not secure full-time
Great work environment
Call Center Clerk/Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 26, 2015
A typical day at work would include visiting patients rooms and taking their breakfast and lunch orders, delivering their meals and assisting them with their food tray setup. Also, after they eat I would collect their trays and record their food and drink intake. What I have learned from this job is time management and also patience. My managers for this job worked exceptionally well with their employees to ensure that we understood our positions and what was expected from us.
Excellent Place to Work!
Registrar, Full-time (Current Employee) –  Waverly, OHMarch 19, 2013
Southern Ohio Medical Center is an Excellent Place to Work! They give you plenty of advancement oppertunities, and great benifits.
Productive and fun work place
Health Information Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 12, 2015
SOMC is a great company to work for. Love the daily job, always knowing what is expected of me. Enjoy the atmosphere and co-workers.
My job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 17, 2015
During my typical day I administer medications, perform assessments, chart, and provide personal care for my patients. I enjoy taking care of my patients.
Productive and fun environment
LPN, Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OhJuly 8, 2015
I work midnight shift in Maternity. Very busy floor. I assist with deliveries and perform patient care for mothers and babies.
Pros
Working with a team of nurses
Cons
Midnight shift
SOMC is a great company to work for overall.
Clinical Documentation Specialist, R.N. (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 22, 2015
My job duties are many. I interact with all physicians and other medical staff, as well as other areas of the hospital. Case managememt, Performance improvement, Risk managemint, Quality control, all areas depend and rely on what I see in the chart and deem as a codable diagnosis. My job is very challenging and exciting at the same time. I love what I do and I have learned a lot and wish to continue to learn and grow. I am grateful for all I have learned at the facility and I have been able to expand my nursing knowledge to a whole new area.
Pros
learning new things everyday
Cons
overwhelming work load, not enough cdi's to handle the work load.
A great place to work
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJune 27, 2015
The experience I have gained at this organization has been superb. Great co-workers and having the ability to help others makes it a great place to work.
managment
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 19, 2015
management was a bad experience..... when you work at a place for many years and they fire you for doing your job it is sad..... karma
Largely enjoyable place to work-typical health care atmosphere
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHApril 12, 2015
I have worked there in various capacities since graduating with my degree. I have seen many changes-both good and bad. I have continued to work there to supplement my school job income while keeping my skills current
Friendly atmouphere
REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OhioMarch 18, 2015
This is a great place to learn and grow as a nurse. The co-workers are friendly and willing to help. The company offers paid learning courses and CE credits for nursing staff.
Necessary service provided to hospital guests
Call Center Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 16, 2013
Typical day began very early in the morning servicing hospital patients with their nutritional needs. Hardest part of the job was physically challenging (I lost 40 pounds in few months I worked there from all the walking!) Most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I provided a necessary, and usually appreciated, service to those in need.
Pros
meeting many people and helping them with their nutritional needs.
Cons
only part-time and i desired/needed full-time position.
Support and teamwork
Dish Washer (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 27, 2013
I work termopary schedule as Morning or Evening. Morning work for breakfast and short Lunch. Evening to work for Lunch and Dinner then shut down the Dishwasher machine to let cool down for Overnight. Work real hard as teammate. Wash a lot of trays and dishes to finish for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

I have l earned how to refill the Dishwasher washer and use Supplies to clean and wash itself.
Pros
discount price for kitchen staff.
Cons
short break for 15 minutes. 30 minutes for lunch break.
Overall satisfied
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 14, 2013
I have advanced my career at Southern Ohio Medical Center from a novice nurse assistant on a Medical Surgical unit to an expert nurse in the ED. However, Physician recruitment has been less than helpful as far as recruiting myself into my new role as FNP-BC.
Coworkers were friendly
Medical Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 7, 2013
Typical day included running tests, working on machines, running QC, calibrations.

I learned to be self-sufficient and complex problem solving skills.

Management was lacking.

Co-workers were friendly
Pros
coworkers
Cons
management
Great department and job!!
Clinical Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 14, 2014
Working as a dietitian for SOMC was a great experience!! The job was very flexible and the coworkers are amazing!! I also had a wonderful boss who was very helpful and understanding! The job had great variety and I was able to do many different things, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed!! The only reason I left is because I moved out of state.
Middle of no where
Cardiac First Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 13, 2013
SOMC is a nice enough place to work. They have state of the art equipment and services. But when you agree to work here you have to keep in mind that there are no opportunities to enrich your life outside of work. Very small minded community. Keep in mind this is Appalachia country. The closest metropolitan city is two hours away.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Ohio Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3