Southern Ohio Medical Center Employee Reviews

Unit Clerk/ Monitor Tech/Nurse Tech (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 14, 2017
Providing excellent care to patients on a daily basis. Working with amazing, knowledgeable people. Working in a small hospital and community is amazing, knowing everyone you work with.
Manager, Urgent Care Services (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 9, 2017
Busy health care facility with lots of good people. Good mentors and wide opportunities to learn from them. Nice facilities. Decent benefits and wages.
Document
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 1, 2017
Stressful when you have to deal with cussing patients and then it is reported you were in the wrong when trying to explain things to patients, or making sure they get the best care possible. You want to cry, then your management is trying to figure out the situation and sometimes you feel its you they are trying to blame completely then making it a few blame both party situation.
Cons
Insurance, Management Changes continously
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 30, 2017
I don't really have a review I work here currently and I like it. My job is great but I'm always looking for advancement that will better me. Overall its great.
Fun and Invitiing Culture
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH 45662August 29, 2017
SOMC is great the people that I work with are helpful and easy to get along with. I would strongly recommend this company. A place where you are more than just a worker but you are also family.
Pros
Easy going atmosphere
Cons
Hours
I work with great people
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 28, 2017
The people I work with are friendly and helpful. My managers was willing to work with my home and school schedules. My pay was the best pay that I have got.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
working 10 shifts
I loved my working hours 5:30 am til 2:00pm with weekends and holidays off.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 4, 2017
Same Day Surgery is actually the best department I ever worked, except for being an IV nurse. The hours were terrific for me and having holidays and weekends off is hard to find jobs like that. I loved my patients and enjoyed going to work. the hardest part of my job were my coworkers. Most of them were 20-30 years younger than me and have a different work ethnic.
Pros
The hours and having weekends off and holidays.
Cons
The stress of feeling pressured to get patients ready fo surgery, feeling you may not have enough time before the surgeon is ready for them.
Advanced
Student Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 25, 2017
I was fortunate to be part of a team to provide physical therapy services under the direction and supervision of the physical therapist. Developed vital components of patient/client interventions (treatment), obtain data related to the interventions provided, and make modifications in selected interventions either to progress the patient/client as directed by the physical therapist or to ensure patient/client safety and comfort.
Productive work place but also relaxed
Certified Athletic Trainer (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 25, 2017
A typical day for me working at Southern Ohio Medical Center as an Athletic Trainer consists of working in the Orthopedic office working with our providers to help with day-to-day operations. On days that I do not work in the Orthopedic office I cover a local high school and take care of athletes who may have injuries. As an athletic trainer we perform injury evaluations, rehabilitation, documentation, and education to athletes, parents, and coaches. The hardest part of my job was at the beginning when I first started it was hard getting used to things at first. As time went on it got better and easier for me. My manager is very easy to work with.
Pros
relaxing, independant
Cons
no set schedule, managment
Somc
Scheduler/Registrar (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMay 12, 2017
Except for medical professionals, does not pay staff very well. Honestly, comparable to working in fast food at less than $10.00 per hour. For full-time employees, there are benefits but not financially.
Lab Client Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH 45662May 12, 2017
There was always work to be done and everyone helped each other to ensure that it got completed. It was a very busy environment my favorite part of the job as working with patients and getting to help them.
was a busy facility
Ultrasound Tech (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHMarch 31, 2017
I think the job would have been much better had management not shown favoritism to long time employees and allowing them to get away with treating people inappropriately.
Fun working at the hospital
CALL CENTER AMBASSADOR (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 25, 2017
The best part of my job is to see my patients full and smiling , there are busy days and I admit theyre gonna wear you out, but if u know how to make the best out of it, then ur good
Benefits
Cons
Health risk
Excellent
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OH 45662September 13, 2016
There is no place that I have worked at that treats their employees as good as they treat you here. I love working here and enjoy my coworkers and the management team. Good things are really happening here.
I left work everyday felling like I had made a positive impact on my community
Courier/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJuly 4, 2016
There really is no such thing as a typical day working for S.O.M.C. transportation dept. Job duties and responsibilities changed almost every day

I was expected to conduct my self to the high standards of excellence that the employees of S.O.M.C have come to be known for
hard work but very productive
Certified Surgical Technologist, CST (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHJanuary 16, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed working at SOMC. It was hard work and required maximum dedication. I learned patience and I stayed focus driven, and how to set goals and achieve them. Management was nice for the most part. Always answered any questions I had. The work environment was very fun and exciting. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Pros
healthcare
Easy work, great environment,
Intern at SOMC L.I.F.E. Center (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHDecember 30, 2015
As an intern, I was responsible for helping to maintain a clean facility, assisting in the cardiopulmonary rehab department, and providing a helping hand for PEC (performance enhancement center). My tasks included the following: cleaning machines, taking blood pressure/RPE/oxygen saturation rates, running fitness activities for athletes, sweeping floors, folding towels, and working at the front desk. It was a little bit of everything. The co-workers were nice and easy to confront. I enjoyed socializing with the L.I.F.E. Center members as well as the cardiopulmonary patients. I never had a problems with any of the members I was helping to serve. However, there were several spells of boredom as I interned at the facility. I would oftentimes find myself folding more towels than necessary since there was nothing left for me to do. This may also be due to the fact that two other interns were stationed at the same time as me. Our times were poorly planned and inconvenient more times than not.

Most of my learning was in the cardiopulmonary rehab department. This is where I gained essential skills, such as blood pressure readings, oxygen saturation readings, and rate of perceived exertion. I had to closely monitor patients and ensure their safety during workout sessions. It was an enlightening experience!
Pros
Friendly people, friendly atmosphere, nice facility.
Cons
Unorganized, slow pace.
Productive and fun work place
Health Information Technician (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHOctober 12, 2015
SOMC is a great company to work for. Love the daily job, always knowing what is expected of me. Enjoy the atmosphere and co-workers.
My job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHSeptember 17, 2015
During my typical day I administer medications, perform assessments, chart, and provide personal care for my patients. I enjoy taking care of my patients.
ok place to work
Assistant Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Portsmouth, OHAugust 1, 2015
very busy, high overturn of staff, I learned a lot in management, good co-workers, working with low staff numbers is the hardest, enjoyed my patients the most.
Pros
education on site
Cons
high cost to employees for meals, low educational college tuition help/ no help after BSN, topped off ceilings on long term employees, longevity doesn't carry any weight with jobs, holidays off, ect.