Southern Oregon University Employee Reviews in United States

Challenging and educational
Environmental Safety, Health and Risk Manager (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORDecember 20, 2015
A wonderful place to work with good benefits. Seems to always be something new and exciting everyday. Small university but in a great location.
Most of the day I would just sit in the office waiting for someone to come in so I could help them.
desk receptionist (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORDecember 6, 2015
This job taught me very little. It was supposed to be a customer service job but there was nobody who ever needed help, so most of the time was spent just waiting for customers. I don't really have very much to say about this job, I worked independently, but could always call my supervisor if I needed anything. The hardest part was the boredom. The easiest part of the job was when I did get to help students with login or computer issues.
good place to work
Student Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORJune 18, 2015
I worked here while attending school...When I was working for the university, the staff was excellent, we had great bosses and the compensation was fair.
Great team spirit in the construction of a new recycling center for University community
Construction Crew (Former Employee) –  Ashland, OROctober 15, 2015
As a summer project, I volunteered to be part of a team working to build a new recycling facility at Southern Oregon University, as well as revamping the recycling system and methods across campus. We worked together with a crew of environmentalists, scientists, and activists from all over the nation, comparing recycling models and exploring the psychology of waste. I did hands on work ripping out insulation, hanging sheet rock and painting. I also worked tirelessly with my boss to create a comprehensive and feasible recycling system for the school.
Sou
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORJanuary 22, 2016
I couldn't ask for a more friendly college to attend with so many kind professors that are willing to help their students as much as they can.
Enjoyed working with students
Student Custodian (Former Employee) –  Ashland, OROctober 21, 2015
I made a lot of friends while working as a custodian, and it was great doing work, while having fun. I learned how to properly clean public places and accept that the next day I will have to redo everything I did a day earlier.
SOU destroys lives and careers
Director (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORDecember 18, 2014
SOU has some truly terrific people. Unfortunately, they are overshadowed by the truly horrible people - mostly administrators who are in charge. The culture at SOU is one of vicious backbiting, workplace bullying, laying blame and total lack of recourse or job security. The pay is low, the work load is inhumane, you are expected to be available all night and all weekend. If you're not, the threat of losing your job is real and immediate.

I see most of the positive comments about SOU come from students. That's great for them. But enrollment is in steady decline, and the university has no clue what to do to stop it. The budget is at rock bottom and they've gone into retrenchment twice in the last 7 years.

If you are a decent person or high-functioning professional, stay as far away from SOU as you can. The place will eat you alive. It has destroyed the lives and careers of so many good people.
Cons
low pay, workplace bullying, no job security
Great opportunity
Raider Sports Marketing Intern (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORMarch 4, 2015
I get paid to market and promote sports. I get to go to EVERY sporting event on campus. I engage the student in entertainment during the games. I get to give away prizes and share laughter. I get to do all of this for the college I graduated from and played for. I am changing the game day experience on campus and I get to work under two of the hardest working men in the athletic administration business. I love this job and this is my future (athletic admin). I am apart of a new, fun culture here on campus and I love it!
Pros
learning a lot and evolving as an individual
Cons
cant harass the referees like i would like to
Worked in various departments which taught cultural competency
Student Services (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORMarch 13, 2014
Each day was filled with learning about life and people from all over the world-then college coursework. Each department management was fair and tolerant. Had many co-workers who also gained much knowledge about life and academics. The hardest part of job was time management to work around class schedules. Most enjoyable was watching fellow classmates matriculate their prospective college goals and accolades.
Pros
gained much life knowledge/book knowledge
Cons
had to leave for the "real world"
SOU Enrollment has given me faith there are wonderful places to work
Office Assistant - Temp (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORApril 9, 2012
In this age where the employers have the advantage and sometimes we feel under valued, I felt SOU made me feel not only valued but I felt excited to help out. Hard working people. I loved working in Enrollment.

The only draw back is if you don't have a degree then there is little or no room for advancement.
Pros
diversity, promotion of human spirit, growth. very inclusive.
Cons
no degree, no permanent job.
Caring and nurturing learning culture
Administrative Assistant/Circulation Rep. (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORJanuary 3, 2013
The work environment allows for freedom of expression and ability to exercise learned skills through assigned tasks and special projects. My typical day at work includes overseeing accounts for my department of Friends of Hannon Library and assisting with events coordinating and any assigned administrative tasks. Administrative tasks can include anything from returning phone calls and answering emails all the way to conduting specialized research for coordinated events.
Pros
wonderful office culture
Cons
low pay
Great place, challening and constructive workplace
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORMay 13, 2014
• Created a student information dashboard within our Business Intelligence software
• Wrote a technical document detailing design and required upkeep for the dashboard
• Implemented a backend input system for the Degree Qualifications Profile initiative
• Assisted with numerous ad-hoc requests for research projects and committees
• Helped with presentations and trainings, where one-on-one instruction was necessary
Great place to work if you can get hired/student
Environmental Studies Tutor (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORMarch 14, 2013
Everything about this job was great, except the pay. I was paid to sit there until something went wrong.
My co-workers there were very friendly and helpful, as well as supervisors.
Pros
location, ease of job, coworkers/management
Cons
wages
Productive and great program to work for.
Civic Engagement Student Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORApril 21, 2014
I have loved working with the Civic Engagement Program at Southern Oregon University. At times it seems that we should have more to do, but then the event rolls around and I wonder how I ever thought we needed more. The program, the people, the activities are all something that I would recommend to everyone!
Productive and a great place to learn
Student (Current Employee) –  Ashland, OROctober 6, 2013
As a student at SOU, I have made good use of my time by learning all that I can in the fields of study. Tasks prove to be challenging, however not unobtainable. I feel that this University is a great place to learn.
Pros
great professors
Cons
expensive
Great Place
Recording Technician (Current Employee) –  Ashland, ORJuly 21, 2014
I enjoy working at Southern Oregon University. The school is willing to work with my schedule as a musician and a student.
It was great for developing skills
National Communications Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORJanuary 21, 2014
I had a lot of fun build communication skills and being able to work with others in public relations.
Great beginning!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Ashland, ORJuly 17, 2014
First class for the PSM in Math! Great co-teacher, attentive students!
Wonderful Campus and People
Intern (Former Employee) –  Ashland,OregonFebruary 1, 2012
I absolutely loved working on campus. SOU is a fabulous school with fabulous individuals.

4.3