Southern Research Institute

Southern Research Institute United States Employee Reviews

Excellent management, work attitude, and drive among all employees.
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2014
A typical day at work involved mainly sitting on the computer and reducing data that came from the materials testing lab next door. I mainly reduced raw data into easily readable format and created stress/strain curves and other charts for each test. Other times I would help with writing technical reports. I learned a lot about the general process of materials testing from the actual testing to delivering finished reports. I got along very well with all of my co-workers, and everyone seemed to have a very positive work attitude. The hardest part of the job was when I had piles and piles of data to reduce to where that's all I would do for an entire day. The most enjoyable part would be when I got to do many different tasks and help out a little bit in the shop and watch the tests take place.
A good stable and secure job
Building service custodian (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 26, 2014
Pros: good people, benefits, good enviroment work place
Cons: disagreements with the new staff and changes in the company
This was a good place to work and good people to work for.The job had excellent benefits and potentials. I shared some of my experience and learned a lot from others in my group and never had any problems with anyone.
Good Place to Work
Senior EHS Specialist (Former Employee), Durham, NCJuly 27, 2014
Very interesting place to work and allot to learn as far as new technologies and alternative energy development. I worked with a great team of engineers and engineering technicians that were passionate about there jobs.
Great place to work. Low stress environment.
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 5, 2014
Pros: 401k employer contributions.
Cons: no advancement opportunities.
Support multiple applications, multiple environments. Nice people. Love my customers.
Great place to work. Low stress environment.
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 5, 2014
Pros: 401k employer contributions.
Cons: no advancement opportunities.
Fun place to work.
Lab Technician (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 12, 2014
A good place to work with interesting people. I enjoyed it here.
Process Engineer/Control Board Operator
Engineer/Operator (Current Employee), Durham, NCMarch 20, 2014
Shifts are rotating 12 hr biweekly. Two weeks will be spent on the day shift (8am-8pm) and then it will alternate to the nights (8pm-8am).

The process takes municipal waste and creates Fischer-Tropsch products
Log, organize, and track large inventory.
Materials Management Clerk (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: great place to work
Cons: laid off
• Log, organize, and track large inventory.
• Assist with various responsibilities for the Purchasing/Materials Management Department.
• Receive, store and issue supplies and equipment.
• Schedule pickups and deliveries.
• Familiarity and use of computers, and basic mathematics.
• Route trucks. Read work orders, shipping orders, or follow verbal instructions
High pressure environment; no work life balance; poor management
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Morrisville, NCApril 22, 2013
Cons: long hours w/very little attention to employee burnout.
No formal HR department; inept at handling employee issues. Management not in tune to employees relative to family or life outside of office.
Broad based scientific research. Good atmosphere, benifits.
Sr. Biologist (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALFebruary 18, 2013
Pros: good atmosphere, benefits. interesting research.
Cons: dependance on government grants and contracts.
Interesting life science, engineering, and environmental research. Excellent management and benifits. Learned new techniques and applications in biological research.
management
Biofuels R&D Plant Deputy Project Manager (Former Employee), Durham, NCSeptember 12, 2012
My fellow managers were a great crew that worked well together
Excellent place to work
Advanced Research Assistant (Former Employee), Frederick, MDJune 26, 2012
Leaving SRI wasn't an easy decision and if it wasn't for moving 250miles away, I would have stayed with the company. The environment at the Frederick facility is small and close, therefore people see you daily and are aware of your contentment with the job. My supervisor was the best supervisor I've had the privileged of working for. She always pushed me to challenge myself and was a constant support in my desire to bring new enrichment and ideas to the table. Currently the entire research community is facing a decrease in workload, which was the hardest part of the job; However it did give me more time to work in my positive reinforcement training with the animals as well as developing more cooperative behaviors with them. My co-workers were fantastic and no one was ever afraid to pitch in and help when their own work load allowed.