Southern Research Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Stressful with no job security
administration (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 27, 2016
This isn't a place of results but more of how you fit in with your managements design expectations. Obvious favoritism takes place with unethical treatment to certain employees. Be wary of termination and lay offs as there seems to be a high turn over rate of employment. I would expect the company to have a lawsuit if their management continues down the path they are on.
Pros
401k and benefits with good pay
Cons
horrible management and stressful atmosphere with unrealistic expectations.
Minorities beware
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 5, 2016
I worked for them for about a year before I wised up and left. The department I worked in just got a large 10 year grant so the work was there. I had applied for a position that I was qualified for but was offered a position that I was over qualified for but because I needed the job I took it. The people that got the job I applied for didn't have the education or experience as I, but looked different than me. The other employee that did look like me, with the same educational background, was picked on and was eventually fired. Once she left, the lead techs and senior techs started to pick with me, example: going to the lab and making a mess but blame it on me, lying and saying I wasn't doing my work because I was sleeping but I produced over half of the data. The supervisor was not supportive and would entertain the gossip. One employee pulled my hair and asked did I feel that. A supervisor told me I looked like "side show Bob" from the Simpsons. My direct supervisor got upset when I got into graduate school because another employee told her before I could. After that happen my desk was moved to the front of the office for people to so called "watch" me do my work, which resulted in people socializing around my desk while I was working. I was passed up on training that all the other techs got a chance to participate in. Overall, it was a great learning experience on harassment and work place discrimination. I would rather be homeless than to go back. I would have gave 0 stars if possible.
Pros
Got off work at 3:45p
Cons
job security is always uncertain
scientist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALOctober 26, 2015
I worked at SRI for many years before being laid off. Layoffs typically happen to those with more than 20 years service. Wonder why? As the years went on and managers came and managers went, something substantial changed: managers and study directors no longer were expected to bring in work thru proposal writing and grant writing. One of my last managers said "I'm not going to write proposals--that's not my job". It's obvious that the work coming in is of much lower dollar value, people are not valued for their experience--they are actually hampered. "We do it that way to comply with regulations, or SOP, or audit findings" is not the answer that new managers want to hear, but it's the reality of everyday life at SRI. They just laid off another 41 people--10% of the workforce, but the president says they have plenty of work and are hiring. ?????
Pros
benefits were good
Cons
advancement: promotions never happen anymore for anyone
Great people to work with
Advanced Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 4, 2015
Working at Southern Research wasn't that bad. I worked with a lot of smart people that were very friendly and helpful. I have learned a lot about being a competent process tech.
Not having to do the exact same thing day after day like you would in a production plant was a huge plus for me.
Pros
great pay and not having the same day in day out job.
Cons
didn't know how to compete in their business model of pilot plant testing.
Excellent management, work attitude, and drive among all employees.
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 18, 2014
A typical day at work involved mainly sitting on the computer and reducing data that came from the materials testing lab next door. I mainly reduced raw data into easily readable format and created stress/strain curves and other charts for each test. Other times I would help with writing technical reports. I learned a lot about the general process of materials testing from the actual testing to delivering finished reports. I got along very well with all of my co-workers, and everyone seemed to have a very positive work attitude. The hardest part of the job was when I had piles and piles of data to reduce to where that's all I would do for an entire day. The most enjoyable part would be when I got to do many different tasks and help out a little bit in the shop and watch the tests take place.
A good stable and secure job
Building service custodian (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 26, 2014
This was a good place to work and good people to work for.The job had excellent benefits and potentials. I shared some of my experience and learned a lot from others in my group and never had any problems with anyone.
Pros
good people, benefits, good enviroment work place
Cons
disagreements with the new staff and changes in the company
Good Place to Work
Senior EHS Specialist (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 27, 2014
Very interesting place to work and allot to learn as far as new technologies and alternative energy development. I worked with a great team of engineers and engineering technicians that were passionate about there jobs.
Great place to work. Low stress environment.
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 5, 2014
Support multiple applications, multiple environments. Nice people. Love my customers.
Pros
401k employer contributions.
Cons
no advancement opportunities.
Fun place to work.
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 12, 2014
A good place to work with interesting people. I enjoyed it here.
Process Engineer/Control Board Operator
Engineer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 20, 2014
Shifts are rotating 12 hr biweekly. Two weeks will be spent on the day shift (8am-8pm) and then it will alternate to the nights (8pm-8am).

The process takes municipal waste and creates Fischer-Tropsch products
Log, organize, and track large inventory.
Materials Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 16, 2014
• Log, organize, and track large inventory.
• Assist with various responsibilities for the Purchasing/Materials Management Department.
• Receive, store and issue supplies and equipment.
• Schedule pickups and deliveries.
• Familiarity and use of computers, and basic mathematics.
• Route trucks. Read work orders, shipping orders, or follow verbal instructions
Pros
great place to work
Cons
laid off
High pressure environment; no work life balance; poor management
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Morrisville, NCApril 22, 2013
No formal HR department; inept at handling employee issues. Management not in tune to employees relative to family or life outside of office.
Cons
long hours w/very little attention to employee burnout.
Broad based scientific research. Good atmosphere, benifits.
Sr. Biologist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 18, 2013
Interesting life science, engineering, and environmental research. Excellent management and benifits. Learned new techniques and applications in biological research.
Pros
good atmosphere, benefits. interesting research.
Cons
dependance on government grants and contracts.
management
Biofuels R&D Plant Deputy Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCSeptember 12, 2012
My fellow managers were a great crew that worked well together
Excellent place to work
Advanced Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Frederick, MDJune 26, 2012
Leaving SRI wasn't an easy decision and if it wasn't for moving 250miles away, I would have stayed with the company. The environment at the Frederick facility is small and close, therefore people see you daily and are aware of your contentment with the job. My supervisor was the best supervisor I've had the privileged of working for. She always pushed me to challenge myself and was a constant support in my desire to bring new enrichment and ideas to the table. Currently the entire research community is facing a decrease in workload, which was the hardest part of the job; However it did give me more time to work in my positive reinforcement training with the animals as well as developing more cooperative behaviors with them. My co-workers were fantastic and no one was ever afraid to pitch in and help when their own work load allowed.

Southern Research Institute Reviews by Location