Southern Season Employee Reviews

Management was never on the same page.
Lead Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SC 29464May 31, 2017
I liked working with a few of the managers but most of the management staff was never understanding to their employee morale. Some of the management only cared about themselves and not the company. The store went out of business because we couldn't get enough customers to shop at the store. The product was priced very high.
Pros
Benefits were the only great thing about this company.
Cons
Management could never agree on anything.
closed down
Chef (Former Employee) –  Staples Mill rdMarch 14, 2017
Hi class restaurant with grocery store and cooking school.Not kid friendly menu wise.Very expensive. Also had diner brewery as well. Tough place to work during holidays. Closed down after business slowed. A lot underlined problems unknown to workers. Practice bad management at times
Pros
benefits and experience
Cons
out of business
Cooking School Mgr., Southern Season Richmond
Manager, Cooking School (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 10, 2017
My experience with Southern Season stared out very well, I had planned on this being my last place of employment. I wrote the catalogue offerings, solicited local and out of town chefs to participate. This was a quarterly publication, and needed to be publisher ready 5 weeks prior to release. I hired Lead Cooks to run demos as well as lead their own classes, I worked with almost 60 volunteers that also did prep, serve clients/guests, and did most of the clean-up/ware washing. I wrote the schedule for my five Kitchen Leads, forecasted grocery needs from in store and wholesale, also purchased produce by-weekly from Cavalier Produce, Charlottesville, VA
Pros
One of the most rewarding aspects of the job was meeting guest chefs
Cons
Most dificult issue was the amount of hours needed to get the job done.
Productive and informative
Customer Service Representative Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 10, 2017
Southern Season is an equal opportunity employer specializing in specialty foods. You are faced with difficult customers daily, but there are several regulars who always seem to make your day. Being in customer service is just that, you are there to serve the requests and needs of your clients and strive to provide them with what they are looking for. Everyone I have worked with has been nothing but kind, and new hires are eager to learn about the store and the products we sell. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the high end clientele who can be incredibly disrespectful towards employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I have come to work with over the years.
Pros
Good discounts
Cons
Rude customers
Great Place to work
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCJanuary 23, 2017
- Job atmosphere was good.
- Management worked with your schedule
- I had creative latitude improve the Bakery's bread program
- Cross trained to understand and appreciate the other jobs in the department.
Pros
I enjoyed the relationships I made with the customers.
Southern Season
Corporate Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 30, 2016
I loved my coworkers but had a hard time with not knowing what was priority because no one would tell me. I loved multitasking but not knowing what had to be done that day was stressful.
Busy 300 seat restaurant serving all meals 7 days a week
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCDecember 9, 2016
Busy from start to finish.
Lots of prep work and execution.
10 hours shifts without a break.
I learned how to cook many types of eggs, and improved my skills in pantry, saute and grill.
The management was terrible. The Executive Chef was very difficult to get along with and was inconsistent in what he wanted and how he treated employees. He had a very bad temper and would throw tantrums, scream at people, rip papers down, slam his fists on the counter etc.
A wide variety of people, all life long workers in the Food and Beverage industry.
The most enjoyable parts of the job were interaction with coworkers, and exposure to a variety of different foods and cooking techniques.
Great work environment
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCOctober 10, 2016
Great place to work if they would have not relocated I will be still be there. Management was very helpful and dedicated to the growth in the company.
Slow pace environment with little to no customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2016
a typical day at work would be slow. business was really slow so there wasn't a lot to be done while at work. I learned a lot about promoting. promoting your business so that people would know about the business and so you could bring in more business. The management was really thrown together. They didn't like handling situations, theyd rather just give you a gift card and send you on your way. the coworkers were ok. hardest part of the job was getting people to come in and shop. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to shop at southern season wit the employee discount
Pros
The store had really nice items
Cons
no insurence, the prices were too high
Awesome place to work.
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMay 28, 2016
Southern Season was a great place to work. It was willing to train you to become better, I have extended my work experience by working there.
fun work place
Deli Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, SCFebruary 1, 2016
Nice environment and friendly people, great customers and excellent food. Overall it was a great experience that introduced me to new people and how to handle people.
Great work environment
Hostess & Server & Expo (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Staff is excellent (coworkers and boss) and I was a well-trained beginner in the restaurant business. We have a good reputation for our store/restaurant.
Co-workers were a family :)
Bakery Lead (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 1, 2015
This gourmet retail store is a Chapel Hill landmark. New ownership has changed many iconic parts of the company. My manager was supportive, and I felt like I could speak with her about anything. My co-workers were always there with a smile!
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
Benefits weren't great. Micromanaging.
accounts payable
Account Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  chapel hill ncOctober 19, 2015
detail oriented job with opprotunity for advancement. Fairly supportive management but its a very big company. Stict deadlines and fairly heavy workload.
Great employees at the retail location but terrible upper management.
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 15, 2015
I have learned a lot in my role as the assistant operations manager but unfortunately work for a company with an extremely dysfunctional senior management team.
good luck!
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  RIchmond, VASeptember 13, 2015
Not certain that the right people are in place for this company to survive. Great tradition at the original store, but failed to captured at the other locations. If you visited all the stores, you would see how different the truly are, they seem to continue to continue to try and different directions with no follow through.
Reasonable job
Ice Cream Parlor Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 30, 2015
This place is jut like any other bigger business. You work with a lot of different kinds of people, learn a lot about your department, and days are pretty average if you are doing your job correctly. The customers can be a little snooty but that is to be expected in high-end foods. Management was a bit sketch but I was there during a transitional period.
Pros
benefits, different opportunities
Cons
unreliable schedule, a bit disorganized
Great place to work for anyone with a love of "food".
Vice President & General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 12, 2015
A dream job that matched my skill set and my passion. I woke every morning eager to get to work to see what challenges the day would bring. I was never disappointed. My co-workers were a great group whom I learned a great deal from. You could not ask for a better customer base for a store like Southern Season than the people of Chapel Hill.

I was able to connect with many people in the gourmet retail world through attendance at trade shows. I also hosted a weekly radio show on our local FM station WCHL-97.9 called Side Dish that gave me the opportunity to speak with interesting people from all over the country that were involved in the food/wine industry.
Pros
The customers, my co-workers, the shopping experience.
Cons
None.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 6, 2015
taught how to be a leader, taught how to have great customer service, taught how to be a team player,taught how to be a better chef
Fun place to work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 5, 2015
Friendly staff and managers
Flexible work schedules
Lots of opportunities to move up in company
Lots of events held
Tons of food to sample
I love my job, staff, and customers
The most enjoyable part of my job is moving around and engaging with the customers
Pros
Friendly and understanding managers
Cons
Mon-Thurs. business is slow