Southern Season Employee Reviews

Slow pace environment with little to no customers
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 4, 2016
a typical day at work would be slow. business was really slow so there wasn't a lot to be done while at work. I learned a lot about promoting. promoting your business so that people would know about the business and so you could bring in more business. The management was really thrown together. They didn't like handling situations, theyd rather just give you a gift card and send you on your way. the coworkers were ok. hardest part of the job was getting people to come in and shop. the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to shop at southern season wit the employee discount
Pros
The store had really nice items
Cons
no insurence, the prices were too high
Great Place to work
Bakery Manager (Former Employee) –  Mount Pleasant, SCJanuary 23, 2017
- Job atmosphere was good.
- Management worked with your schedule
- I had creative latitude improve the Bakery's bread program
- Cross trained to understand and appreciate the other jobs in the department.
Pros
I enjoyed the relationships I made with the customers.
Great work environment
Inventory Associate (Former Employee) –  Mebane, NCOctober 10, 2016
Great place to work if they would have not relocated I will be still be there. Management was very helpful and dedicated to the growth in the company.
Southern Season
Corporate Administrator (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 30, 2016
I loved my coworkers but had a hard time with not knowing what was priority because no one would tell me. I loved multitasking but not knowing what had to be done that day was stressful.
Co-workers were a family :)
Bakery Lead (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCDecember 1, 2015
This gourmet retail store is a Chapel Hill landmark. New ownership has changed many iconic parts of the company. My manager was supportive, and I felt like I could speak with her about anything. My co-workers were always there with a smile!
Pros
employee discounts
Cons
Benefits weren't great. Micromanaging.
Reasonable job
Ice Cream Parlor Associate (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCJuly 30, 2015
This place is jut like any other bigger business. You work with a lot of different kinds of people, learn a lot about your department, and days are pretty average if you are doing your job correctly. The customers can be a little snooty but that is to be expected in high-end foods. Management was a bit sketch but I was there during a transitional period.
Pros
benefits, different opportunities
Cons
unreliable schedule, a bit disorganized
Good place for a single person. Wouldn't recommend to family orientated individual
Shipping/ receiving clerk, Coffee, candy manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NCNovember 20, 2014
A typical day of work consist of working the docks receiving in bounds merchandise. Management on site supervising and watching over operations. Everyone working as a team to get all merchandiser is accounted for and aren't any wrong items or damage products. The most enjoyable part of then day is punch out time; when I can look back and reflect on the days accomplishments.
Pros
Advancements from with in the company, Good work environment
Cons
Long hours during peak seasons 50 to 60 hours a week
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCAugust 18, 2014
Great place to work for someone who enjoys food. There are many benefits including possibility for advancement and a comfortable work environment.
Cons
short breaks
Awesome place to work.
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAMay 28, 2016
Southern Season was a great place to work. It was willing to train you to become better, I have extended my work experience by working there.
Great Concept and Great Employees Management Needs Trainig
Network Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 22, 2014
Wonderful Employees that work very hard with large expectations with little compensation.
Pros
Great Food
Cons
Limited Holidays and Terrible Communication
accounts payable
Account Payable Specialist (Current Employee) –  chapel hill ncOctober 19, 2015
detail oriented job with opprotunity for advancement. Fairly supportive management but its a very big company. Stict deadlines and fairly heavy workload.
fun work place
Deli Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mt. Pleasant, SCFebruary 1, 2016
Nice environment and friendly people, great customers and excellent food. Overall it was a great experience that introduced me to new people and how to handle people.
Great work environment
Hostess & Server & Expo (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 25, 2016
Staff is excellent (coworkers and boss) and I was a well-trained beginner in the restaurant business. We have a good reputation for our store/restaurant.
Great place to work for anyone with a love of "food".
Vice President & General Manager (Former Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMay 12, 2015
A dream job that matched my skill set and my passion. I woke every morning eager to get to work to see what challenges the day would bring. I was never disappointed. My co-workers were a great group whom I learned a great deal from. You could not ask for a better customer base for a store like Southern Season than the people of Chapel Hill.

I was able to connect with many people in the gourmet retail world through attendance at trade shows. I also hosted a weekly radio show on our local FM station WCHL-97.9 called Side Dish that gave me the opportunity to speak with interesting people from all over the country that were involved in the food/wine industry.
Pros
The customers, my co-workers, the shopping experience.
Cons
None.
Gourmet food and homewares retail store under new ownership expanding from single store to multiple locations
Lead Retail Associate Coffee/Tea, Barista (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCMarch 29, 2013
I have most enjoyed learning about and sharing my love of coffee and tea with customers and other staff. The day is fast paced as I provide customer service, manage flow of inventory from warehouse to retail store, direct co-workers in task priorities and respond to operational directives of management.
Pros
customers enjoy breadth of inventory, destination shopping for many.
Cons
rapid expansion under new management has eroded work environment at original store.
Great employees at the retail location but terrible upper management.
Assistant Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Chapel Hill, NCSeptember 15, 2015
I have learned a lot in my role as the assistant operations manager but unfortunately work for a company with an extremely dysfunctional senior management team.
good luck!
Visual Merchandising Manager (Former Employee) –  RIchmond, VASeptember 13, 2015
Not certain that the right people are in place for this company to survive. Great tradition at the original store, but failed to captured at the other locations. If you visited all the stores, you would see how different the truly are, they seem to continue to continue to try and different directions with no follow through.
Not a fun workplace anymore!!
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hillsborough, NCDecember 4, 2013
This seasonal position use to be a good way to end my year, but now that the company is under new everything it sucks!! Nothing goes right and instead of making changes the wheel keeps turning. This WAS a great place to work now it out of whack, major mistakes happening, and blame being placed everywhere except where it needs to be. Promoting people who don't deserve it and trying to drive seasoned permanent employees out of the door. The experience this year was miserable and I will NOT work there EVER again!!!
Pros
NONE!!
Cons
TOO MANY TO LIST HERE!!
Productive workplace
Chef (Current Employee) –  Henrico, VAJanuary 8, 2015
Seeking different employment , this company does not treat their employees with respect . co-workers are afraid to ask for a break. management is not very good at keeping the schedule up to date. employees have to ask, or make an excuse in order to get a break or 10 minutes of away time .
Pros
Cons
no breaks
Fun place to work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 5, 2015
Friendly staff and managers
Flexible work schedules
Lots of opportunities to move up in company
Lots of events held
Tons of food to sample
I love my job, staff, and customers
The most enjoyable part of my job is moving around and engaging with the customers
Pros
Friendly and understanding managers
Cons
Mon-Thurs. business is slow

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Season. Our community is ready to answer.