Southern Star, Inc. Employee Reviews

Really liking this opportunity so far
Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 4, 2017
I am still new to Southern Star I've only worked here for two months. When I had first got out of training and went solo I didn't like it when I would struggle while still learning the system, every house is different so sometimes I wasn't sure about some stuff. But now I feel confident and if I do ever get stumped I call my manager, trainer or other techs and ask for help, that's the best part you always have someone to help walk you through something you haven't seen.
Pros
Everyday is different, you're not stuck behind a desk, Bonuses!
Cons
Occasionally you have to Work late to complete your route
Good job if your goal driven and flexible
Technician (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 25, 2017
I've seen some of the reviews on here and don't they give the company a fair shake. Yes, it's a tough job. Yes, there are changes but what job doesn't have them. Yes, it is hard to plan your day because unexpected stuff comes up when your dealing with customers in their homes. That being said, I get to meet new people all the time. I am not a contractor so I don't have to pay self-employment tax. I'm given my van, gas card, inventory and tools. I didn't have to buy these myself. The pay is good but who wouldn't always like more. There are ways to make more if you're willing to hustle.
Pros
Van, tools, equipment all provided, every day is different
Cons
Hard to have a regular schedule
Horrible place plus dish reps are horrible
Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 15, 2017
I just got out of training. They stocked my van with two of every receiver. Everyday for the first week out of my own I was having to drive to another techs house to get equipment. The sales are horrible. The stuff they want you to sell is overpriced and just dumb. People look on amazon at the stuff we sell and show us they can get it cheaper. The dish reps steal your commission on outside sales. The company phone never has service so I have to use my personal phone to hotspot so I can get all my work finished. My manager told me that they are hiring new people so they can get rid of all the older techs. So if this is going to be a full term job. Don't count on it cause when you start making good money they throw you out the door. When training I was getting about 60 hours a week which was awesome. Now I get 20 hours a week if I'm lucky. If you have a family this job is not for you!!!
Pros
gas paid for and a work van. Customers were awesome!!!
Cons
Everything.
Fast paced Lack of Leadership
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXAugust 24, 2017
Depending on where you lived there was a great chance to be driving a lot. Working outside with your hands and interacting with customers was the best part of the job. Management player favorites and gave their favorites the best routes. Most employees got along real well and helped each other out when needed. The hardest part of the job was micromanaging and management not taking responsibility and passing down blame from their favorite employees to others. The best part of the job was even though it was the same thing everyday there were new challenges at every job site and meeting new customers everyday.
Pros
Not having to be in the office with management everyday
Cons
Managers micromanaging and the cut in pay
Great Company
Technician (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 9, 2017
Great company. Opportunity to advance and lots of independence. Definitely demanding but a great place to work if you don't mind putting in the time and effort.
Terrible
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKAugust 2, 2017
This is the worst place to work in the entire world. The management sucks, the co workers suck, the technicians suck. They treat you like garbage and do not care about their employees! STAY VERY FAR AWAY.
No comment
Call Center Supervisor/Technician Support (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKJuly 26, 2017
I will not comment on this company; therefore, I will fill the remaining characters required with things I enjoy: programming, analysis, writing, and creating.
10 years i worked with this company. Started out great like the Titanic them BAM!! Iceberg! Turn left, turn left. I didnt think i would sink that bad.
Installer/Technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 13, 2017
Get on the lifeboat while while u still can! You will go nowhere with this company. Don't get on this boat!!!!Unless you want to sell hdmi cables and soundbars then only get points instead of money.
Pros
Lose weight
Cons
Stress eat
Meet new people every day
Field Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJuly 10, 2017
Meet customer provide them with video services and put a smile on their face.
Learned how to install both video and internet and the way the whole system works.
Management is doiung the best they can and actually care about you
The hardest part of the job is learning all the components and diffrent type of receivers.
The enjoyable part is meeting new people and putting a smile on their face
Pros
You take your work van home
Cons
Some installs are hard to do
Worst place to work for
istall (Former Employee) –  sreveportJuly 7, 2017
Rude people and they do not want to train you the right way. Will not teach you what needs to be taught. Waste of time and money the past 6 weeks. I would not send anyone to them.
Completely horrible
Technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 29, 2017
Pay is garbage . They expect you to be more of a sales person then a tech demanding you sell $20 worth of product for every job you do. Sale jobs will be within an hour of home. Lie. Over half the jobs are well beyond that. Drive time and restocking your van count against your units per hour. Mandatory cut off times are a lie. I have been forced to stay out till past 10pm. Expect you to work 12 to 15 hours a day. Often told to use lunch break for commute time between jobs. Was told to take me van for mainance on my off day. Mandatory 6 day work weeks 2 to 3 times a month. And the rotating weekend off is a joke. What the do is give you the weekend off then take 3 or for of your normal days off to make up for it. . Overall horrible job would not recommend to anyone .
Pros
Cons
Fsm, training, commute, safety, pay, metrics
Do not work here
Master tech (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 20, 2017
I worked with southern star for 4 years. Had to quit because its unsafe. They cheat you out of pay for time worked. They ask you to lie to customers and add items to there bill with out there permission or knowledge.
Pros
Zero
Cons
You name it
Ruined my life!
Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJune 19, 2017
Hired and trained. Then laid off. To be brought back 2 months later. Then fired within a month. Not just installing, but required to sell as well. Nothing is ever good enough for this company. Ever.
Cons
Engaging atmosphere with great people, always encouraged to strive for success
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Poteau, OKJune 14, 2017
I have worked at SSI for almost 6 years now and love every minute of it. I am humbled to be a part of a great team who works together to make sure that everything is taken care of and no one is left behind. The workplace has a great atmosphere and the management is always encouraging the employees to learn more everyday. The most enjoyable part of my job is coming in everyday and knowing that it will not be the same as the one before. We work in an ever changing line of work where moving up in the company is encouraged along with learning new skills.
Pros
Great Benefits & Perks, Management that wants to see each person succeed
Cons
None that I can think of
Grateful Employee
Field Resource Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Poteau, OKJune 14, 2017
I've been fortunate that the last 9 years Southern Star has provided me with a stable and reliable opportunity to support my family. I'll stay as long as they will have me!
Pros
competitive pay, amazing benifits
Cons
constant change to stay up to date with techology
Unorganized
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  TexasMay 30, 2017
Very unorganized,was promised a 500 dollar bonus,after 2 weeks never received.With only 4 days of training,when told i would receive 3 weeks,I was released to work solo,and when I told them i felt i needed more training,of course I get the.."Well senior techs cant be held up on training,if you have any trouble just refer to the company app on the phone"Place is a joke.
Not for everyone.
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 20, 2017
Not an ideal job for everyone. The business has changed so much since I started back in 2013. It is mostly sales oriented now. If you can't sell add on products or services for them, then you're expendable. Not matter how good of a job you do quality wise. It's sad but true.

You will not always get lunches, the hours are sometimes very long. You will be getting home very late sometimes. It happens alot. You will be working on fully extended ladders, crawling in attics, crawling under houses, digging trenches, dropping cables in walls, digging holes for pole mounts,etc. But most of all, you will be dealing with some of the most unappreciative and rude customers you will ever come across. That's just some of the negative and believe me there is alot more.

On the positive you do get a company vehicle, gas card, basic hand tools and uniforms. The pay is ok. Definitely not great for what the job entails. The pay back then was alot better.

But like I said, Dish network is sales oriented now. That's what they want results on. From hdmi cables and soundbars to mounting tvs, etc.

Work here at your own risk. The company knows all this is true no matter what they reply on here. That's why they go through employees and fsms (managers) on a regular basis. Sorry but this is all true ssi.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
Almost an endless amount.
Nightmare
technician (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
Owner has good intentions for employees but from his Dictator Of Operations sorry! (director) to some of his collegue popets FSMs are the problem for this company, its a shame that the owner doesnt recognize that. No respect for the technicians,fsms run people out of this company, they behave like Dictators and not leaders they have no class or professionalism, some of them got their jobs because of who they knew and not from knowledge,they mistreat employees and then report to upper management what they want to cover their bad actions towards people.Regional Management is non existant. HR is not supportive when reporting confrontations with management they always side with them. if you are a senior tech they will make your life miserable to get rid of you. Hard part of this job is dealing with the Horrible and incompetent FSMs, and sorry to say this but there is nothing enjoyable about this company. you start your day thinking it may be your last one.Too bad i have to rate 1 star on management to be able to post this but they dont even deserve that. im pretty sure that previous positive reviews are done intentionally by company reps to boost their image.I wouldn't recommend even my worst enemy to work for this company. That's how bad it is
Pros
they provide everything needed for the job
Cons
Management has no class nor how to be professionals
Grreat Management and Training staff
Satellite Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 6, 2017
The Senior Technicians employed at the location I worked at were very helpful in preparing me for my job responsibilities through class instruction and on the job learning. The pay was a little low for my liking, and advancement was slated to be a really slow process. Commissioned sales of peripheral equipment and products was pushed daily, a little too often. But overall, it was a good company to work for.
Pros
Great management and staff, company vehicle.
Cons
Low pay.
You have to earn your check.
Master Technician (Current Employee) –  CalarkJanuary 13, 2017
Great advance capabilities I went from 11.25 to over 16 an hour in less than 2 years but on the unit pay side I male a lot closer to 25. You control your destiny with this company if you don't care it will show. Reasonable management with a set process on calling in and requestin time off. It is there to help you and the others work in your office to keep from having to carry the job load of a no call no show tech. They provide absolutely everything you need from the van and gas to the tools training Phone and even allow a $50 credit to get you good boots. All you need to succeed in this job is the ability to adapt to change and the work ethic to do your job as well on a bad day as you do on a good one.
Pros
Good check. Decent hours.
Cons
Routing can be hectic if jobs are spread out but thats not in the company's control

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Star, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.4