Southern Star, Inc. Employee Reviews

Horrible place to work
Senior Technician (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 28, 2016
Horrible place to work. Everything they claim they have changed they also took right back away. Very disorganized,always in fear of loosing your job. You get wrote up every time you don't meet the minimum on selling the "great" products. You will have no family life. They will add you jobs 50 miles away at 5pm.. The list goes on.. after 3 years with them nothing ever seemed to get better.. I loved what I did, absolutely could not stand who I did it for. The turn over rate is unreal. Every week someone is quiting or getting fired. If you have no family,love very long hours,can handle a ridiculous amount of unnecessary stress with a "decent" paycheck then go for it.
Pros
Equipment, tools and vehicle provided.
Cons
Long hours, fear of loosing job, poor management from the very top to the bottom.
You have to earn your check.
Master Technician (Current Employee) –  CalarkJanuary 13, 2017
Great advance capabilities I went from 11.25 to over 16 an hour in less than 2 years but on the unit pay side I male a lot closer to 25. You control your destiny with this company if you don't care it will show. Reasonable management with a set process on calling in and requestin time off. It is there to help you and the others work in your office to keep from having to carry the job load of a no call no show tech. They provide absolutely everything you need from the van and gas to the tools training Phone and even allow a $50 credit to get you good boots. All you need to succeed in this job is the ability to adapt to change and the work ethic to do your job as well on a bad day as you do on a good one.
Pros
Good check. Decent hours.
Cons
Routing can be hectic if jobs are spread out but thats not in the company's control
Amazing Company and Leadership!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Poteau, OKAugust 22, 2016
I have had the privilege of working for Southern Star for the last six years. It is a blessing to be part of a team that is continually striving to be the best that it can be. Our leadership team doesn't shy away from changes that can help improve the work life of it's employees and they always try to implement these changes in the least disruptive way possible. I've heard of several occasions where the company has made improvements based off of an employee reaching out to a VP or Director with concerns. Our leadership team is extremely approachable and invested in our employees. I've never had a position or company that I was so proud to be part of.
Pros
Great Leadership and Coworkers!!
Cons
Growing company dedicated to achieving top performer results.
FSM (Current Employee) –  Lubbock ,TXAugust 21, 2016
I've been with SSI for over 10 years. There are several techs in this office with 8 or more years of service. We have grown from 15-17 techs to 25 -30 techs. If you enjoy working independently, being rewarded for results and the opportunity to earn more based on performance and production, this is the place for you. It does take an individual that can organize all the details of installing and servicing Dish Network systems while building customer confidence in themselves as a tech and Dish Network as a provider. Need to have good people skills, an eye for detail, motivation to continuously improve and commitment to follow set processes proven to achieve success for all metric indicators. Need to be able to identify opportunities to offer additional services and products that compliment customer's experience with their system.
We do work in all kinds of weather and conditions unless it becomes unsafe to do so. We work in attics and under houses. We do at times work from ladders up to 32'.
As a manager I see my role as a support role to coach, train, mentor and remove any obstacles to a tech's success. I am fair and not shy to discipline when the behavior needs to be addressed.
We offer great benefits package.
We want to find and keep the best!
Pros
SSI provides van, tools, equipment, uniforms, structured training, Pay includes bonus opportunity, performance pay, commissions for sales, New techs get every 6th weekend off with more rotations based on tenure.
Cons
Need to be available to work weekends and holidays.
Work
Slave (Current Employee) –  Nowhwre txJune 15, 2016
The job has not changed much at all the FSM still treat you like a slave they don't care about our safety as long as the job gets done you guys add rules to protect us only last a Wk then Fsm are telling us you guys change the rule back because we were losing jobs we work um serve lighting and thunder storms insurance way over priced they make you work an extra day saying the market calls for bs we are slaves most of herew are only still here until something better opens uptbey do try to give you most tools just not wall drop tools
Pros
Non
Cons
Fsm
No future for you here....
Technician (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKApril 24, 2016
Depressing place to work. You will not make more money with experience. Technicians were making more money 10 years ago than they are now. They are constantly hiring to keep enough folks around to keep the business going. Just look at the amount of help wanted ads on indeed alone. Unless you are about to go hungry, look for a company that has a better outlook, one that has more than one customer.
Pros
company vehicle
Cons
schedule
Don't do it
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Little Rock ArkansasMay 3, 2016
the worst job I ever had!! Long hour, no family time, metrics that are impossible to keep up with. 6 days a week of working most time one day off, and FSM that don't care where dispatch send you or how long you work each day. Mostly everybody I worked with was divorced or single. Don't do it to yourself
Pros
Good money
Cons
Long hour to make good money
very unorganized and zero job security
satellite installation technician (Current Employee) –  San Antonio TexasJune 19, 2015
Southern Star was a great place to work back in 2013. Since then the company has been on a downward spiral and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. SSI doesn't care if you've been with the company 10 months or 10 years. If you're not a brown noser, you can be out of a job in minutes. Don't get me wrong, the pay is ok for a normal 8-5 job. The thing about it is, this isn't anything like that at all. SSI expects you to work 12 hour days, sell product to customers that cannot afford them, and now that they have a former employee inspecting their work, they expect you to be perfect even though that management never was. This job is perfect for people that don't have families. I say this because SSI doesn't care about your family. They'll appove your vacation then demand that you work half way through it. The only upside to this company is that SSI does provide everything you need for the job.
Pros
all tools/vehicle provide
Cons
unorganized, no time for family, very high expectations

Comment – July 7, 2015

Thank you for your input. There have been many changes within our company over the last year. Some of these changes have been very hard to make and, although made with the best of intentions, caused harm to some of our technicians. Steps have been taken recently to correct some of this. Examples include; a progressive weekend off schedule based on years of service, daily cut off times based on units completed and an hourly or Unit Based pay system. These changes have been very favorable with our current employees and have recently led 12 former employees to return to us.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Star, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2