Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline (Southern Star) is an interstate natural gas transportation company, headquartered in Owensboro, KY. Southern Star operates a 6,000-mile pipeline system transporting natural gas from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming and Colorado to markets in the Mid-continent.
Southern Star provides a safe, learning-oriented, friendly working environment as well as competitive salaries and excellent benefits. We are seeking an experienced individual with skills and qualifications in the following area:
Job # C-13-0001 – Operator – Montezuma, KS – 1 position
This position is responsible for: (including but not limited to): assist with the operation of the pipeline system. Provide routine assistance in mechanical equipment repairs and preventative maintenance efforts in all functions within operations. Perform housekeeping duties throughout the region, assist in the maintenance and/or operation of various types of Company property, including, but not limited to; buildings, machinery, rights of way and pipelines. This is a key training phase intended to build an individual’s progression to a higher level of performance and expertise.
Primary Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
Technical Duties (with supervision and/or under direction)
- Develop understanding of natural gas transmission pipeline industry
- Provide routine assistance with assigned duties in areas of pipeline and compressor station operations and maintenance activities
- Utilize all applicable Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline’s IT systems (for example, Expense Envelop, GIS, Workforce, UltiPro Self-Service, etc.)
- Create/maintain all required documentation related to assignments
- Attain and Maintain proficiency in performing Operator Qualification tasks
- Comply with all applicable regulations, Company policies and procedures (OSHA, DOT, etc.)
- Defensive Driving
- First Aid/CPR
- Natural Gas Transmission self-study
- Computer Based Training learning modules
- New Employee Orientation (NEO)
- New Employee Safety Orientation Program (NESOP)
- Participate in safety presentations.
- Learn Emergency Procedures
- Understand and use Sec 65 of the Southern Star O&M
- Participate in Southern Star Safety program
Other duties and training as assigned.
Ability to work 8- or 12-hour rotating shifts (with varying days off).
These are initial responsibilities for an Operator I. These responsibilities increase as an employee progresses through the Operator levels. In accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreement, this progression is mandatory.
This position is subject to federal drug/alcohol testing.
Primary physical requirements include (but not limited to): Working in extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. Lifting and pulling of up to 100 pounds. Working with and/or around chemicals. Repetitive lifting, stooping, crawling, walking standing and sitting. Working in high or elevated areas. Monitoring multiple functions with multiple required tasks. The work environment will include extreme weather conditions and high noise levels. Travel of up to =10% of the time, which will require overnight stays. Long distance driving in both day and night hours. Flexibility of working unscheduled overtime based on business needs.
- High school diploma
- Technical aptitude
- Basic skill level in Microsoft Office products
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Possess and maintain a Driver’s Qualification File
- Associates degree in general mechanics or related field, or Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with a natural gas pipeline
Note: Candidate must reside within 40 miles of reporting location.
The company reserves the right to require any applicant selected for an interview to complete a battery of tests consistent with the requirements of the job.
Working Location: Montezuma, KS
How to apply:
If you have qualifications we need, want a job that uses your existing skills and encourages you to develop new ones, provides varied work challenges, and allows you to work with a great group of people, this position might be a perfect fit. Please forward your resume, which should provide evidence of how you meet each minimum requirement mentioned and any preferences listed, to: Southern Star Employee Services Department, Job Postings, PO Box 20010, Owensboro, KY 42304. You must include the Job# identified above or your resume will not be considered.
No Phone Calls Please
SOUTHERN STAR is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We thank all applicants for their interest, but will only respond to those selected for interviews.
Note: Relatives of employees are not eligible to apply. Relatives mean an employee’s spouse (including common law or domestic partner), parent, grandparent, child (including step, foster, legally adopted or placed for adoption, or other child over which you have legal guardianship), grandchild, sibling, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew, and in-laws of the same status.