We are seeking an experienced professional with skills and qualifications in the following area:
Job # 13-0025 – Team Lead – Ulysses, KS – (Hugoton Station)
This position reports to the Manager, Region Operations and is responsible for the daily operations and maintenance of pipeline and compressor facilities for an assigned work location(s). This position will be responsible for overall leadership, implementation of strategies, management oversight, performance of employees, and achievement of goals and strategies for the assigned work location.
The Team Lead, Operations will be physically out on the job with assigned operations employees, which include operators, welders, heavy equipment specialists, and operations administrators. The majority of time will be spent leading and interacting with and providing daily work direction to these employees; ensuring adherence to safety practices and corporate policies, procedures, and contractual requirements; ensuring alignment with corporate direction, vision, mission, principles, strategies and goals; working with direct reports to improve processes and efficiencies; overseeing operations, maintenance, inspection, and testing criteria and construction jobs; identifying and recommending educational needs; ensuring all compliance requirements are met; and, improving procedures and work methods to better ensure operational safety, reliability, and efficiency.
The Team Lead, Operations is expected to set the standard for leadership within the organization, including but not limited to ensuring 100% compliance in the department’s operations and maintenance areas; modeling the level of commitment and dedication expected through an unsurpassed work ethic; exhibiting unquestioned integrity; ensuring effective employee development through teaching, mentoring, coaching, correcting, recognizing, rewarding, and disciplining; championing change; advocating managed risk; supporting creativity and innovation; communicating effectively; providing employees the support and resources necessary for the successful attainment of the Company’s Vision, Mission, strategies, and goals; being personally accountable and holding employees accountable; valuing teams and being an engaged, productive team member; identifying needs and responding to them by taking proactive, rather than reactive measures; acting in a manner that inspires trust and trusting others in return; and, be committed to life-long learning.
Primary responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Be personally accountable for performance of employees in reporting area and achievement of area’s goals and strategies , teach employees in area to be likewise personally accountable.
- Demonstrate organization’s leadership skills and traits as outlined below
- Serve as role model for Company’s Guiding Principles and actively and vocally exhibit behaviors which champion its Vision and Mission and align with its direction
- Engage in regular, consistent performance management, including coaching, teaching, appraising, and mentoring
- Oversee, promote and direct safe, cost efficient, compliant, reliable operations and maintenance of assigned locations/facilities
- File and review required reports in timely, accurate manner
- Assist with development of Region’s operational budget, manage local budget effectively
- Provide hands-on supervision for employees, including planning, assigning, and directing work, recommending promotion/progression, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining, addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Provide input into system operating plan, including personnel requirements, material needs, subcontract requirements, facility needs, and tooling and equipment needs
- Direct resolution of operational issues to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays
- Help teach and ensure direct reports are aware of and comply with Company, government, and customer policies, procedures, and regulations, including Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Maintain confidentiality of sensitive, confidential, proprietary, private information
- Develop, monitor, measure, communicate, and report on location-specific goals and strategies aligned with Company goals
- Engage in consistent, effective communications with employees, peers, coworkers, customers, and third parties
- Engage in continuous process improvement and expense reduction
- Effectively develop employees to work independently and as fully engaged departments and teams
- Creatively and constructively manage conflict and appropriately address and resolve employee disputes
- Set priorities and allocate resources to successfully manage diverse projects
- Develop positive, partnering relationships with customers in area and local governmental representatives
Skills & Traits
- Unquestioned integrity
- Teamwork orientation
- Change championing
- Willing to take measured risks
- Uncommon commitment
- 100% Compliance
- Partnering Attitude
- Life-long learner
- Ability to think on your feet
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer-service orientation
- Forward thinking
- Ability to remain calm in very sudden, high-stress situations
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work daily with employees without
- Ability to take unpopular positions
Minimum Physical Requirements
- Ability to work regular, extended hours including weekends and evenings with little or no notice
- Ability to travel overnight up to 20% by automobile and/or plane, sometimes for extended periods of up to two weeks
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with all levels within and outside of the organization both verbally and in writing
- Ability to effectively handle significant amounts of stress that arise unexpectedly for brief periods that may last several days up to several weeks (i.e., ensuring a construction project is in place on time, on budget, etc.)
- Ability to simultaneously manage several projects
- Ability to work outside for extended periods in potentially extreme weather conditions
- Ability to wear required personal protective equipment
- Ability to work around high noise levels using PPE
- Ability to work around chemicals associated natural gas industry
- Associate Degree or 2-year certificate of completion from accredited institution or trade school
- Valid driver’s license and insurability
- Experience analyzing data and preparing compliance reports, statements, and projections
- Experience communicating data and concepts in a manner understandable to a wide range of individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Experience working in both a scheduled/structured and unscheduled/unstructured, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to teach area of expertise one-on-one and in small groups
- Ability to effectively manage costs within an overall budget structure
- Intermediate level computer skills in Microsoft Office Excel and Outlook, basic level skills with PowerPoint and Word
- Ability to understand, interpret and apply applicable local, state and federal regulations and reporting requirements (i.e., DOT/PHMSA, OSHA, etc.)
- Experience in a leadership position (including serving as a nonprofit board leader, coach, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Operations experience with high-pressure pipeline systems
- Knowledge of operations, maintenance and construction practices relating to pipeline operations
- Knowledge of Company’s Operations & Maintenance manual
- Aptitude toward mechanics, construction
- Knowledge of natural gas transmission industry
- Experience understanding, interpreting, and applying applicable local, state, and federal regulations and reporting requirements
Working Locations: West Region
This region is comprised of the work locations in and around the following cities:
Ulysses, Hugoton and Montezuma, KS
How to apply:
If you have qualifications we need, want a job that uses your existing skills and encourages you to develop new ones, provides varied work challenges, and allows you to work with a great group of people, this position might be a perfect fit. Please forward your resume, which should provide evidence of how you meet each minimum requirement mentioned and any preferences listed, to: SSCGP HR Department, Job Postings, PO Box 20010, Owensboro, KY 42304. You must include the Job# identified above or your resume will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
SSCGP is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
We thank all applicants for their interest, but will only respond to those selected for interviews.
Note: Relatives of employees are not eligible to apply. Relatives mean an employee’s spouse (including common law or domestic partner), parent, grandparent, child (including step, foster, legally adopted or placed for adoption, or other child over which you have legal guardianship), grandchild, sibling, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew, and in-laws of the same status.
Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline is an interstate natural gas transportation company, headquartered in Owensboro, KY. Southern Star operates a 6,000-mile pipeline system transporting natural gas from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming and Colorado to markets in the Mid-continent.
Southern Star provides a fun, friendly, and modern working environment as well as competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline (SSCGP) is an interstate natural gas transportation company, headquartered in Owensboro, KY. SSCGP...