Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline (SSCGP) is an interstate natural gas transportation company, headquartered in Owensboro, KY. SSCGP operates a 6,000-mile pipeline system transporting natural gas from Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming and Colorado to markets in the Mid-continent.
Southern Star provides a fun, friendly, and modern working environment as well as competitive salaries and excellent benefits. We are seeking an experienced professional with skills and qualifications in the following area:
Job # 12-0010 – Specialist, Technical (Mechanical Services) – Hesston, KS
This position reports to the Manager of Mechanical Services and is responsible for technical expertise and troubleshooting support assistance of the Mechanical Technicians and field operating personnel by phone, PC or on-site assistance. Develops and presents training to enhance the skills and technical competence of field personnel.
The Specialist participates in studies and team projects to enhance the overall safety, reliability and efficiency of the gas transmission system.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate leadership within the organization, including but not limited to ensuring 100% compliance in the department’s operations and maintenance areas; modeling the level of commitment and dedication expected through a strong work ethic; exhibiting unquestioned integrity; ensuring effective employee development through teaching, mentoring, coaching; championing change; advocating managed risk; supporting creativity and innovation; communicating effectively; helping to ensure that the technician staff has the resources necessary for the successful attainment of the Company’s Vision, Mission, strategies, and goals; valuing teams and being an engaged, productive team member; identifying needs and responding to them by taking proactive, rather than reactive measures; acting in a manner that inspires trust and trusting others in return; and, be committed to life-long learning.
Primary responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Assist in developing plans, scope preparation, provides design and technical expertise
- Manages and/or conducts training programs to ensure a high level of expertise in assigned functions including but not limited to such items as conveying the information for complying with company, government, and customer policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Assist in the coordination of work activities and/or provides support to field personnel and projects
- Verifies that work products conform to applicable codes, standards, specifications, and requirements of internal/external business partners
- Assists with facilities construction such as design, bid processing and approval, and pre-construction meetings and facility commissioning to service
- Monitors and recommends changes to improve efficiency, including the Evaluation of new products
- Performs optimizations, troubleshooting and feasibility studies
- Directs/prepares reports, specifications, plans, studies and/or designs
- Trains, develops, and leads the mechanical Technician
- Assist in the creation, periodic review and implementation of the related O&M Policies and procedures
- Ability to work regular, extended hours including weekends and evenings with little or no notice
- Ability to travel overnight up to 50% by automobile and/or plane, sometimes for extended periods of up to two weeks
- Ability to communicate effectively to all levels within and outside of the organization both verbally and in writing,
- Ability to effectively handle significant amounts of stress
- Ability to simultaneously manage several projects
- Associate Degree / Trade School or equivalent relevant work experience
- 3 years’ experience with compressor station maintenance and control systems
- Understanding of reciprocating and turbine engines, and reciprocating and centrifugal compressors
- Valid driver’s license and insurability
- Operations experience with high-pressure pipeline systems
- Knowledge of operations, maintenance and construction practices relating to pipeline operations
- Knowledge of Company’s Operations & Maintenance manual
- Experience communicating data and concepts in a manner understandable to a wide range of individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of the natural gas transmission industry
- Ability to teach area of expertise one-on-one and in small groups
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Programs
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years’ experience with compressor station maintenance and control systems
Skills & Traits
- Be personally accountable for performance of employees in reporting area and achievement of area’s goals and strategies and teach employees in area to be likewise personally accountable.
- Serve as role model for Company’s Guiding Principles and actively and vocally exhibits behaviors which champion its Vision and Mission.
- Demonstrate organization’s leadership skills and traits as outlined below
- Teamwork orientation
- Change championing
- Willing to take measured risks
- Uncommon commitment
- 100% Compliance
- Partnering Attitude
- Life-long learner
- Experienced in the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of compressor station mechanical equipment and controls
- Operation of Analytical test instruments
o Engine and compressor analyzer
o Web Deflection Measurement
o NDT Test equipment
o Bore scope
o Vibration test equipment
- Basic understanding of Allen-Bradley control systems (PLC5, Micrologix, ControlLogix), Hardware and Software
- Assist Technicians and operations personnel in mechanical overhaul activities
- Generation of operation procedures
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Customer-service orientation
- Forward thinking
- Strong verbal communication skills
Working Location: Hesston, KS
How to apply:
If you have qualifications we need, want a job that uses your existing skills and encourages you to develop new ones, provides varied work challenges, and allows you to work with a great group of people, this position might be a perfect fit. Please forward your resume, which should provide evidence of how you meet each minimum requirement mentioned and any preferences listed, to: SSCGP HR Department, Job Postings, PO Box 20010, Owensboro, KY 42304 .
You must include the Job# identified above or your resume will not be considered.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
SSCGP is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Note: Relatives of employees are not eligible to apply. Relatives mean an employee’s spouse (including common law or domestic partner), parent, grandparent, child (including step, foster, legally adopted or placed for adoption, or other child over which you have legal guardianship), grandchild, sibling, uncle, aunt, niece or nephew, and in-laws of the same status.