SOUTHERN STAR Employee Reviews

Was completely disatisfied with the job and company as a whole.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 28, 2017
I was very dissatisfied with the lack of training as well as pushing divers through training early to be placed in their own truck. The hours were all over the place and was required to work all holidays.
Pros
None that I can think of.
Cons
Just about everything involved with this job.
bad place to work
Sattelite Installer (Former Employee) –  Lufkin, TXAugust 27, 2017
not good,bad hours,not enough compensation,too much pressure to sale, but no sales required on their job description.the supervisors do not help the workers.
Providing Television entertainment
Service Installation Technician - Full Time (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 23, 2017
Making sure my van is stock and well prepared with cable boxes tools and etc so i would be well prepared to do work. hung Satellite dish and alinged cable along house. Install cable boxes making sure it was properly in working order so customer would be satisfied
fun workplace
Server (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNMay 14, 2017
Prepare tables with special attention to sanitation and order
Attend to customers upon entrance
Present menus and help customers select food/beverages
Take/serve orders and answer questions or make recommendations for other products
Collaborate with other restaurant servers and kitchen/bar staff
Deal with complaints or problems with a positive attitude
Issue bills and accept payment
Promote dedication from customers
an ok company to work for
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 23, 2017
Management has no direction first level managers have little or no experience.To much management turnover.Too much emphases on sales and not much customer service
Day in the life
Dish Technician (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 23, 2017
the work is stressful but the team is always there to help and ensure productivity and understanding. maintain inventory and you are golden, do your work and you will have a career
Manager (Current Employee) –  PoteauJanuary 27, 2017
Continuous improvement is a way of life. It is a fast paced environment with constant change that provides employees the opportunity to make data driven decisions. Southern Star is great place for a self-starter willing to put in the work and see that work turn into results.
Very misleading & lies.
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJanuary 4, 2017
I was interviewed, trained, and hired for the technician/installer position. I passed all tests given and even did field training. Once on my own, I was critically evaluated by the micro manager, who would not listen to what training I further needed for the position and would only harp on me to get work done. I tried reaching out to another manager about this and was told to take my time and do a good job. Unknown to me, as I was told on my schedule my days off for the week and was off of work when this occurred... the HR department actually put me down as working and did NOT inform me of this change on my own schedule. Therefore, I was told I was a No call - No show and laid off. This kind of behavior by a company is completely unacceptable. I will NOT go back to work with Southern Star nor will I refer people to work for them.
Pros
Good benefits and lots of hours.
Cons
Micro managers, company does not give needed training beyond the initial training and & testing, HR will lie about the schedule they give you
productive work place
Dish technician (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXDecember 15, 2016
good work place good coworkers and good management the hardest part of the job was everytime i turned around they wanted more and more jobs per day done by a certain time
okay Job
Warehouse/ Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 13, 2016
The job was okay meeting new faces! Management was a different story very aggravating looking at emails that's down talking you about not meeting your metrics because its effecting his end of the year bonus!! Its very hard working for a company not knowing if you have a job tomorrow!!
Rewarded for individual preformance.
Field Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 29, 2016
Offers opportunities for bonus/incentive pay, technician level advancements along with pay increases.
Meeting new customers daily, assisting other technicians.
Pros
Preformance based incentive pay.
Cons
Occasionally long work days.
Na
Master Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 13, 2016
Love working with all types of people . Very self motivated environment if you like a challenge . You can also work at your own pace . Company vehicle tools provided. Great benefits . Get to meet great people on a daily basis.
Temporary position
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Poteau OKAugust 15, 2016
Great hours, good people and the job was not difficult. My co-workers were the best part of the job and trying to recruit valid candidates in some areas was a challenge.
Pros
Gym available to employees
Cons
Didn't get hired on when temporary position ended.
productive
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 13, 2016
Working for Southern Star overall good place to be employed.
Management was excellent and co-worker she was very knowledgeable in all working processes of the warehouse.
The hardest part was the unknowns.
technician
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2016
interacting with others, learn the systems,
long hours, long drives, many changes
management was changed frequently
learned a lot of new equipment and tools as well as different software
typical day of work included alot of traveling with very minimal breaks
Great Company!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKJune 6, 2016
I enjoyed my job at SSI and I loved working with such great people! I always felt appreciated and anytime there was a problem it was always resolved and handled very well!
Work place
Dish Installer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 3, 2016
OK place to work until you need to leave to to go out to have knee surgery. Then they will find every little thing wrong with your work and then fire you 2 weeks before you leave to have surgery.
Pros
work on your own
Cons
Half the time did not have all things needed to do my job the proper way
nagging bosses and constantly changing things
technician (Former Employee) –  maumelle ArSeptember 10, 2015
Bossed call you everyday all day they get paid by your performace goals some goals are unrealistic constantly havng your job threated after producing for years try to make you sign contracts to not work for anyone else for two years changes the way and how much you get paid 6 times in one year making you sell products to custumer or threat your job lwave you working on a house to late at night tell darrel one of t he top guys your job is being threatned. He doesnt. Care worst job every. Will want yoz to work threw lunches but if you get done early will jusr add more work to have you getting off late. Very physical haed work and want you to work in snow and ice storms rain 100+ degree weather in attics lots of unsafe conditions no family to you will be tired and having to talk to custumers and get codes on your time for metrics
Pros
starts out at good pay wi hno experience thats it
Cons
everything else
Hard to balance life and work
cable installer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 13, 2015
A typical work day starts with a call from the boss telling you to clock in early to meet scores. They hardest part of the job is getting yelled at for something you where trained either to or not to do. The days are long and the work is rigorous and you are sent to very unsafe neighborhoods. However the pay when switched to hourly was nice but keep in mind you are a private contractor.
Pros
Tight nit coworkers
Cons
pretty much everything else
horrible company to work for
x technician (Former Employee) –  longview,txNovember 5, 2014
They are always threatening your job when you dont perform well . You have no family life because you get off when they say . Causes problems with you and your spouse. No advancement they will tell you that but its not true. Poor management they dictate every little thing you do think twice
Pros
Cons
everything mentioned