SOUTHERN STAR Employee Reviews

Manager (Current Employee) –  PoteauJanuary 27, 2017
Continuous improvement is a way of life. It is a fast paced environment with constant change that provides employees the opportunity to make data driven decisions. Southern Star is great place for a self-starter willing to put in the work and see that work turn into results.
Very misleading & lies.
Installation Technician (Former Employee) –  Pflugerville, TXJanuary 4, 2017
I was interviewed, trained, and hired for the technician/installer position. I passed all tests given and even did field training. Once on my own, I was critically evaluated by the micro manager, who would not listen to what training I further needed for the position and would only harp on me to get work done. I tried reaching out to another manager about this and was told to take my time and do a good job. Unknown to me, as I was told on my schedule my days off for the week and was off of work when this occurred... the HR department actually put me down as working and did NOT inform me of this change on my own schedule. Therefore, I was told I was a No call - No show and laid off. This kind of behavior by a company is completely unacceptable. I will NOT go back to work with Southern Star nor will I refer people to work for them.
Pros
Good benefits and lots of hours.
Cons
Micro managers, company does not give needed training beyond the initial training and & testing, HR will lie about the schedule they give you
okay Job
Warehouse/ Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LADecember 13, 2016
The job was okay meeting new faces! Management was a different story very aggravating looking at emails that's down talking you about not meeting your metrics because its effecting his end of the year bonus!! Its very hard working for a company not knowing if you have a job tomorrow!!
Rewarded for individual preformance.
Field Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARSeptember 29, 2016
Offers opportunities for bonus/incentive pay, technician level advancements along with pay increases.
Meeting new customers daily, assisting other technicians.
Pros
Preformance based incentive pay.
Cons
Occasionally long work days.
Na
Master Technician (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LASeptember 13, 2016
Love working with all types of people . Very self motivated environment if you like a challenge . You can also work at your own pace . Company vehicle tools provided. Great benefits . Get to meet great people on a daily basis.
Temporary position
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Poteau OKAugust 15, 2016
Great hours, good people and the job was not difficult. My co-workers were the best part of the job and trying to recruit valid candidates in some areas was a challenge.
Pros
Gym available to employees
Cons
Didn't get hired on when temporary position ended.
productive
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAAugust 13, 2016
Working for Southern Star overall good place to be employed.
Management was excellent and co-worker she was very knowledgeable in all working processes of the warehouse.
The hardest part was the unknowns.
technician
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJune 23, 2016
interacting with others, learn the systems,
long hours, long drives, many changes
management was changed frequently
learned a lot of new equipment and tools as well as different software
typical day of work included alot of traveling with very minimal breaks
Great Company!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Poteau, OKJune 6, 2016
I enjoyed my job at SSI and I loved working with such great people! I always felt appreciated and anytime there was a problem it was always resolved and handled very well!
Work place
Dish Installer (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 3, 2016
OK place to work until you need to leave to to go out to have knee surgery. Then they will find every little thing wrong with your work and then fire you 2 weeks before you leave to have surgery.
Pros
work on your own
Cons
Half the time did not have all things needed to do my job the proper way
nagging bosses and constantly changing things
technician (Former Employee) –  maumelle ArSeptember 10, 2015
Bossed call you everyday all day they get paid by your performace goals some goals are unrealistic constantly havng your job threated after producing for years try to make you sign contracts to not work for anyone else for two years changes the way and how much you get paid 6 times in one year making you sell products to custumer or threat your job lwave you working on a house to late at night tell darrel one of t he top guys your job is being threatned. He doesnt. Care worst job every. Will want yoz to work threw lunches but if you get done early will jusr add more work to have you getting off late. Very physical haed work and want you to work in snow and ice storms rain 100+ degree weather in attics lots of unsafe conditions no family to you will be tired and having to talk to custumers and get codes on your time for metrics
Pros
starts out at good pay wi hno experience thats it
Cons
everything else
Hard to balance life and work
cable installer (Current Employee) –  Little Rock, ARApril 13, 2015
A typical work day starts with a call from the boss telling you to clock in early to meet scores. They hardest part of the job is getting yelled at for something you where trained either to or not to do. The days are long and the work is rigorous and you are sent to very unsafe neighborhoods. However the pay when switched to hourly was nice but keep in mind you are a private contractor.
Pros
Tight nit coworkers
Cons
pretty much everything else
horrible company to work for
x technician (Former Employee) –  longview,txNovember 5, 2014
They are always threatening your job when you dont perform well . You have no family life because you get off when they say . Causes problems with you and your spouse. No advancement they will tell you that but its not true. Poor management they dictate every little thing you do think twice
Pros
Cons
everything mentioned
rules and requiremants allows changing
Technician (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 22, 2014
day starts at 0600 and ends whenever the company says you can go. company micro manages its employees and doesnt like to give time off to spend with family
Pros
hourly wages
Cons
no breaks, rules and regs always changing, mirco management
Work at your own Risk
customer service (Former Employee) –  Longview, txFebruary 4, 2014
The Company don't care about the employees at all. They seem to think everyone is expendable to keep a customer. The managers only cares to make him look good. In return they may keep you if you make HIM look good.
Pros
good pay, company van
Cons
long hours, no voice of opinion, paid by job
Good company
Truck driver (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 20, 2013
Very good company had alot of good benefits.I just wanted to excell my career a little more.
never again
Premise Technician (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXAugust 14, 2013
typical day started out driving to the shop to stock up my van. I would drive all over town to do installs for customers at their home. Hardest part of the job was if the management gave all the good jobs to their buddies and left you with small installs or repairs. Since you get paid by the job, you want the big installs.
Pros
lots of unsupervised work
Cons
Paid by the job.
very low pay for the amount work required, red tape/misleading information/ training
installation tech (Former Employee) –  austin txMarch 4, 2013
You were told one thing by one person on how to(higher ups) and then the completed oposite by another. there was now time off, u worked everday
Pros
i drove a work vehicle.
good
Telecommunications Technicians/Installers (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJuly 11, 2012
great people good company pay good hours are ok company vehicle
One of the best hands down
Cement Driver (Former Employee) –  FORT WORTH,TEXASJune 14, 2012
One of the best jobs ive ever had you work hard in the summer,fall, but when it is too cold you dont work and still get paid 40 hr work week.....A,you pre trip your mixer,b,get your load ,check the slump,c arrive at destination safe and on time.Abc thats it....Ez. This company is all about safety.....Management have more than 25 yrs of knowledge. Great team players you are always taking care of each other,and helping each other to get to location safe what to expect on location.The hardest part of this job is to slow down while driving the mixer truck.You have the power too drive 60mph or 50mph but you have to second guess your self and ask the question. Will I turn this truck over will I stop in time. Seeing what you have helped build
Pros
the company takes time and let you know that there gratefull
Cons
insurance, changes all the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SOUTHERN STAR. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7