SOUTHERN STATES COOPERATIVE Employee Reviews in United States

Great place to work.
Contractor-IT Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2016
As a contractor I am included in employee celebration events which encourages team building among all workers.

There is no "typical day" and that is probably what I like the most. My duties are varied and numerous. I am never bored.
Stable and cooperative working environment
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Good stable company with good management and training structure. I enjoy my ability to work and help grow the independent dealers.
a nice jobe
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 7, 2015
I actually really enjoyed working here. I drove a tractor, forklift, and felt fairly important, I opened and sometimes closed the store, unloaded freight, and checked in and stocked the freight. There was a lot of customer interaction.
Pros
performing work that i enjoyed
Cons
seasonal employment
Great people; questionable management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 2, 2015
Overall, Southern States was a great place to work however, some management decisions were quite questionable. It makes you wonder how they have been in business for so long.
Pros
Wellness program and volunteer program
Good o'l boy system
General Manager (Current Employee) –  mt sterlingJune 10, 2015
Southern States still carry their own rules out in the field. The corporate office will effectively send communications in regards to employee welfare with Human Resource integrity. This is simply not followed in the field. The corporate office is in Richmond VA. They have no idea what goes on in the stores.
Pros
Cons
Work every day with no days off.
Great place to work.
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 8, 2015
This position is constantly teaching me things about myself as well as others. Quiet environment in which to carry out key components of my position.
Winning by way of customer satisfaction
Petroleum Driver (Current Employee) –  Orange, VADecember 7, 2014
My daily job is to coordinate with my route supervisor to ensure customers are taken care of in a timely manner. The last thing I want is for one of our automatic customers to run out(customers that we monitor weekly or monthly depending or circumstance.) My mission is to fill every customers tank issued that day, while also thanking outside of the box.

I take pride in the fact that I am able to keep up with senior drivers with commercial accounts. Accounts with massive tanks, while my accounts are small tanks. I work really hard to prove that I am mature enough to handle important task.
Pros
independence of running my day how i see fit
Cons
the truck i drive is almost 20 years old
The personnel were great to work with. The only reason I left was the need for fulltime employment.
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYDecember 5, 2014
I would go back in a heartbeat, if I could have full-time work and full benefits.
excitable with few advancement opportunities
Warehouse and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCAugust 29, 2014
Excellent co-workers atmosphere, management is excellent with a few exceptions just above the district manager, the hardest part of the job was the physical labor, while the most enjoyable part was the customers and getting to know them.
Pros
great starting pay, personable atmosphere
Cons
few advancement opportunities and benefits
warehouse worker, store stocker
Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAFebruary 12, 2014
I loved what I did but no opportunities. Hardest part of job was the heat. Co-workers very nice but some lazy. Boss was great. I already knew how to do most of the duties.
Pros
staying busy
Cons
extreme heat, very heavy merchandise
Structured Organization
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAFebruary 4, 2014
Company that values employee opinions and ideas. Open door policies. Encourages training, education and community involvement.
Enjoyed working there.Good coworkers.
SENIOR SALES & MERCHANDISING ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Tarboro, NCNovember 13, 2013
Enjoyed working there.Good coworkers.Overall good company to work for.The pros outweigh the cons!
Pros
various daily duties.good benefits.good vacation benefits.
Cons
low pay.understaffed at times.
good place to work great customers
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYSeptember 20, 2013
was fairly good place to work. Learned many things about business and new farm practices. Really enjoyed working and meeting the customers.
Pros
helping customers succeed
Cons
not having enough people to do things right
the pay and the job itself is a good combination. the mangment is a bit shaky and the advancement is almost nill to none
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Orange, VAApril 15, 2013
good palce for a highschool job but don`t plan on staying for ever. Not a career place. Good pay for a high-school student looking for money but you will not advance.
Pros
good pay and good work hours.
Cons
no raise or promotion, crews can be rough.
Would have liked to work there longer.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Roxboro, NCMarch 16, 2013
Enjoyed working there because of the customers and co-workers.
You stayed busy and the store was a clean and nice place to work.
Pros
they always gave us a birthday cake on our birthday
Cons
had to be on your feet all day
A very good company to work for
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Cloverdale, VAMarch 14, 2013
A very good company to work for.Very hard job with a lot heavy lifting
Great working environment
Creative Services Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 23, 2012
Large enough company to have a career opportunity, but not too large so you are only a number.
Strong relationships with long commutes
Dealer Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 12, 2012
Travel to dealers and visit prospective dealers in the assigned territory. I build strong relationships with my accounts through selling timely products and helping with business strategy. However, I spend the majority of my day commuting from location to location. I enjoy working with people at stores, however the long hours on road are difficult. My co-workers and managers are great to work with, even though I do not see them often.
Pros
company car, phone, and laptop.
Cons
many hours driving
Fun place to work, great environment
Head of Warehouse (Current Employee) –  Philippi, WVMarch 9, 2012
For 88 years, Southern States has been a trusted partner for small farmers and producers in the agricultural industry. Whether you’re looking for a custom blend of feed, guidance on when to apply a crop protectant, or assistance with financing, they can help you secure all the right supplies and services.
Pros
easy work, not stressfull
Cons
low pay, slow advancment
Hard work
Warehouse Manager (Former Employee) –  Danville,VAMarch 1, 2012
This is a great company that demands a high level of work ethic to accomplish everyday tasks. This is because they place a high level of interest in their customers.

2.6