SOUTHERN STATES COOPERATIVE Employee Reviews

Look elsewhere
Associate (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAJuly 9, 2017
Upon working here, I heard good thing about the company so I decided to give it a go. The place is a mess. It has an awful odor illuminating the building. The lighting is dim, making it hard to read products. They always keep you there longer than you're told. A small percentage of the people you work with will help you out, the rest will laugh if you struggle. Also, don't leave your lunch in the break room, it'll be gone by the time you go to eat it
Pros
Check
Cons
Bad atmosphere
Great company to make as a career
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Cordele, GAJuly 1, 2017
Southern States is the place for those who do. For almost a century, we have consistently provided expert products, services and advice to people who aren't afraid of getting their hands dirty.

Today, our mission is to be the best at giving you the tools you need to get the job done right- whether you're running a large commercial farm, tending a backyard garden or just trying to keep your yard looking green and lush. We fulfill this mission by providing a full range of services and growing solutions for farms and around the home.

By creating lifelong relationships with those who share a mutual love of the land, we can ensure the success of our customers through the level of service and solutions we provide them.

At Southern States, we are proud to be one of the nation's largest farmer-owned cooperatives - a place for those who do.
Southern States
HEAD CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Summerfield, NCMay 25, 2017
This is your typical farm supply store. The staff is required to be very knowledgeable about all the products that the store carries. The cashiers and garden staff are the nicest above all. I still go in to get my lawn care needs.
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Changes the work schedule without telling the staff
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oxford, NCMay 21, 2017
Southern States provided great compensation for it employees. It was a fun place to work and I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. If not for moving out of state i would still be there.
working in retail
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Front Royal, VAMay 4, 2017
working behind the register, answer phones, stock shelves, clean floor, must be good with customer relations. Stand long hours.

Management was alright at this location. work place always has staff coming and going.
Pros
benefits offered
Cons
standing long hours
A terrible place to work
Area Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 24, 2017
You have to be looking over your shoulder all the time, because the management is so afraid of their job, that they stay on you constantly. Management is clueless
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Poor management
Great hours but bad work enviroment
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAFebruary 25, 2017
The job paid okay but no room to grow. Some employees were allowed to do as they pleased and there were no repercussions. There were a lot of food safety violations there.
Ssc
Truck Driver and Laborer (Former Employee) –  Franklin, KYOctober 25, 2016
Was a great place to work. But there is no way of advancing your skills. They will not promote with in. And sometimes we would do good work and never got a thank you
Pros
Good people
Cons
No promotion
knowledgeable team
Manager, Sales Support (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAOctober 24, 2016
SSC has a knowledgeable team of folks with lots of experience and the willingness to share it. Unfortunately, the management team is not yet fully unified with regard to their future vision.
Pros
health and wellness programs
Cons
no real breakroom/free coffee
Diverse issues, dozens of projects and constantly a good challenge
Manager of Environmental and Homeland Security (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 7, 2016
Was able to assist all areas of business within the cooperative and help hundreds of locations. Exposed to regulations and regulatory agents in many states. Was able to work with lobby groups to affect change in regulations and advise elected officials of impacts of regulations on business.
Southern States Cooperative
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 9, 2016
Wonderful group of co-workers. Challenging period for the company due to uncertain times in the agriculture industry.
Great place to work.
Contractor-IT Operations Support (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAApril 3, 2016
As a contractor I am included in employee celebration events which encourages team building among all workers.

There is no "typical day" and that is probably what I like the most. My duties are varied and numerous. I am never bored.
Stable and cooperative working environment
Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  South Florida, FLFebruary 18, 2016
Good stable company with good management and training structure. I enjoy my ability to work and help grow the independent dealers.
a nice jobe
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 7, 2015
I actually really enjoyed working here. I drove a tractor, forklift, and felt fairly important, I opened and sometimes closed the store, unloaded freight, and checked in and stocked the freight. There was a lot of customer interaction.
Pros
performing work that i enjoyed
Cons
seasonal employment
Great people; questionable management
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 2, 2015
Overall, Southern States was a great place to work however, some management decisions were quite questionable. It makes you wonder how they have been in business for so long.
Pros
Wellness program and volunteer program
Good o'l boy system
General Manager (Current Employee) –  mt sterlingJune 10, 2015
Southern States still carry their own rules out in the field. The corporate office will effectively send communications in regards to employee welfare with Human Resource integrity. This is simply not followed in the field. The corporate office is in Richmond VA. They have no idea what goes on in the stores.
Pros
Cons
Work every day with no days off.
Great place to work.
Office Administrator (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 8, 2015
This position is constantly teaching me things about myself as well as others. Quiet environment in which to carry out key components of my position.
Winning by way of customer satisfaction
Petroleum Driver (Current Employee) –  Orange, VADecember 7, 2014
My daily job is to coordinate with my route supervisor to ensure customers are taken care of in a timely manner. The last thing I want is for one of our automatic customers to run out(customers that we monitor weekly or monthly depending or circumstance.) My mission is to fill every customers tank issued that day, while also thanking outside of the box.

I take pride in the fact that I am able to keep up with senior drivers with commercial accounts. Accounts with massive tanks, while my accounts are small tanks. I work really hard to prove that I am mature enough to handle important task.
Pros
Independence of running my day how I see fit
Cons
The truck I drive is almost 20 years old
The personnel were great to work with. The only reason I left was the need for fulltime employment.
Credit Manager (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, KYDecember 5, 2014
I would go back in a heartbeat, if I could have full-time work and full benefits.
excitable with few advancement opportunities
Warehouse and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCAugust 29, 2014
Excellent co-workers atmosphere, management is excellent with a few exceptions just above the district manager, the hardest part of the job was the physical labor, while the most enjoyable part was the customers and getting to know them.
Pros
great starting pay, personable atmosphere
Cons
few advancement opportunities and benefits