Southern States Employee Reviews

great place and great people
TRUCK DRIVER (Former Employee) –  Hopkinsville, KYNovember 7, 2017
it was a great place to work the hours weren't long and the work wasn't strenuous. even when had to work over you felt appreciated at all times and the pay was decent.
Pros
overall great place
Cons
never got to do job by self because of training taken to long.
productive
Assembly technician/fabricator (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GAOctober 3, 2017
its a good place to work.its still a little divided it there between blacks and whites but the chance for growth is there but its who you know not how you work...
Fast paced, fun work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Winchester, VAOctober 2, 2017
A typical work day consist of sweeping the floor, restocking shelves, and completing transactions. Management was alright, could have improvements. The atmosphere of the workplace was calm and subtle, sometimes there are disagreements.
Pros
discounts
Cons
short lunches, no advancements
nn
Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VASeptember 25, 2017
boogers and farts all day. three coworkers were killd when i be there. lots of drug dealing and dope gansta behaviour. A few RICO indictments were had by all
Productive place to work and make money
Forklift Operator/ Back in trailers (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, NCAugust 28, 2017
This was a good place to work and learn new things. I was taught how to back in trailers in the dock and take them out in just weeks.The hardest part working there was my hour drive home after working 3rd shift. I had good managers on all shifts that i worked and I enjoyed the company dinners and the employees
Pros
pay and experience
Cons
Heat and you will get messy messing with the feed
not a good place
TRUCK DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAAugust 17, 2017
i did not like it here the boss is a pain to work for the other people you work with are nice even the dispacth lady are nice fun driving job and get to meet cool customers.
A place to work
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 15, 2017
This place had a lot of changes in management and not a vision of where it would like to go. So like some large companies, it went nowhere fast. Depending on your position, be careful to work here.
Decent Atmosphere
Micro Ingredient Hand-Adds (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAAugust 9, 2017
Southern States is a good company to work for. There pay is considerably higher than other competing feed mills in the area. The holidays are rough however, expect to work 12 hours shifts in the weeks before Christmas, New Years, Thanksgiving, etc.
Fun to work for a good company
Worker (Former Employee) –  Warfordsburg, PAAugust 7, 2017
I loved working at the farm it was a good environment never did the same thing every day I worked on tractors and trucks of all sizes I now how to run chain saws forklifts
Fast paced work environment
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  KentuckyJuly 26, 2017
Good place to work overall but lacked in communication with management and seasonal help. A lot of heavy lifting and manual labor, sometimes hours at a time.
Workplace is relaxed most of the time.
Assembly Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, GAJuly 11, 2017
My co-workers are fun and we all get along great. This provides a great work environment! There are a lot of pros and cons, but the same can be said for any job. I have been with the company almost ten years and I've seen a lot of changes! Some good and some not so good. One thing I appreciate is the job stability!
Pros
Wages are good considering what a lot of other companies are paying.
Cons
There isn't much room or opportunity for growth within the company.
Productive, you stay busy doing busy work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCJune 22, 2017
Your typical day at work is you come in check all the stuff to make sure it is in date. You greet customers, and run the cash register. You also help putting freight out, and putting feed out.
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
Short break never busy
Productive and fun work place but had some down falls
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Conover, NCApril 4, 2017
Southern States didn't have any benefits. You were promised full time but was only working part time. Had very choppy hours. Other wise, was a good place to work and the manager was awesome.
Pros
Let you off when needed, great management
Cons
Poor hours
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GAMarch 6, 2017
I enjoyed working at southern states i learned a lot about the benfits of cotton not only is it use to make cloths its seed is used to make cooking oil. A days work was standing for long hours while i listened to my music to help pass the time. our manager was very respectful an kind if we need a day for a doctors appointment he would let us take the day off no hesatation . the hardest part was i would have to say is there was a section where we would have to stand by a door where the bail would drop an we would have to iron the bag down an all that cold air would be hitting you with nothing to block it.
Pros
has two shifts
fun
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAFebruary 18, 2017
A typical day at the job was great. It was filled with hard work but there were a lot of great people there. I definitely recommend this company to work for.
productive but stressful and very little management
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Centreville, MDJanuary 24, 2017
A typical day at work i would load up company trucks with fertilizer, and take care of customers orders. I've learned very little while working here and there is no room for advancement. The pro is that i met very nice people that i worked with and everyone for the most part got along.
Pros
Nice co workers and customers
Cons
No management and little to no room for advancement
Day To Day Operations
Assembly Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hampton, GAJanuary 14, 2017
Southern States in a typical day to day operations and the part I play in ensuring that product is efficiently being built as well as being operated correctly. I have a team of 3 including myself that build and operate our products. I've learned how to operate machinery in high and low voltage and also work closely with the engineers enough to be offered a position, but turned it down because it was financially feasible, which is very difficult on a day to day base because I want more be intrical in the designing of the product.
Pros
Extreme overtime, Job secruity
Cons
At work all the time, Not enough vacation time, Compensation monetarily is on the low end
Cashier and Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCJanuary 13, 2017
Good place to work. Been there along time part time don't get raises. Has good benefits for full time employees. The discount helps also if you have lots of critters to feed.
Company was only 7 minutes away from my house.
Assembly Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GA 30228December 22, 2016
Very productive company, who know how to get the best out of employees. Hard work and decent pay for the job. The people are very helpful and they makes sure that you are train properly.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
short breaks
some good people the outlet I loved working with.
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCDecember 3, 2016
Worked with SS for six years as a salesman let me go in june the company is broke to top heavy with no good managers making to much money for nothing I started a new region after I build it up gave to someone who browns nose,some of the mgr.are cowards.
Pros
some good people in some locations.
Cons
they have lost some really good people because of the folks in Richmond