Southern States Employee Reviews

very stressful place to work.
Sr. Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee), Richond, VAJuly 11, 2015
Pros: coworkers are great PeopleSoft
Cons: Thinks 4 yeàr degree is better than work experience.
Very stressful work environment. Management over load employees with work, have too many unproductive meetings then wonder why work isn't getting done. Management doesn't have clue about how work is done and there is no coverage when vacation is taken.
Fun place to work
warehouse forklift operator (Former Employee), Cleveland, NCJuly 8, 2015
laid back work environment with nice people. Hands on supervisors who treat you as a person and not just another face or number.
Hard work but enjoyable
cashier/department manager (Former Employee), Princeton, WVApril 22, 2015
Pros: Very edcational experience
Cons: Location went out of business
I worked with many wonderful people that were from similar backgrounds. I learned many new things and met a lot of the community.
Productive fun enviorment with great employees
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee), Hampton, GAMarch 15, 2015
Pros: great employees
Cons: small hiring rate
Temporary employment working 40 hours a week assembling high voltage power line conductors, switches, and beams. My responsibilities included reading blueprints, checking to make sure our team has the correct parts before assembly. Once assembly starts I would double check all parts used, where they are placed in assembly, and that the final product was done right the first time and every time until the next order. I was responsible assisting our shift supervisor with any help finding parts, set up and break down of our work station cleaning all tools, tables, and keeping a safe and clean working environment.
Fun atmosphere with great people
Equipment operator (Former Employee), Owensboro, KYFebruary 3, 2015
I really enjoyed the pace and management and my coworkers at southern states. There just wasn't a lot of room for advancement. the job was seasonal and I need full time work.
hard to get knowticed
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Westfield, MAJanuary 14, 2015
Pros: great work place all round.as long as you do what you asked
Cons: when layoffs come in the winter
I enjoyed working with Southern States but they hold their standards high. To project higher in the company you need to aim above and beyond.
Great people and enviroment
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Cleveland, NCDecember 19, 2014
I enjoyed working with real down to earth people and that is the type that work at SS. I have learned a lot about the older and new machinery that runs a feed mill. To know that you and your co-workers are the reason that local farmers get safe and healthy feed to their animals and how the process goes full circle is a real blessing to me. I DO NOT have a bad word to say about the crew at SS and there are many laughs to share with these guys.
Not a good experience
Helper (Former Employee), Va.November 26, 2014
Pros: others was nice
Cons: ok.
I worked for southern states though a temp service.There was a lady there strange she fell.And wanted no help from me to get up.I guess some of the workers thoughI didn't want to help her.I worked two days and I was let go.I'm not good in two days!! Second day supervisor strange.
Fun job, hard labor.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Summerfield, NCNovember 21, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere.
My time a Southern States was good. I really enjoyed working with my hands, organizing the warehouse and filling propane tanks. I also enjoyed operating a fork lift.
GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR!
CLERK (Former Employee), Paducah, KYNovember 12, 2014
GOOD TRAINING, GREAT EMPLOYEES, ENJOYED MY JOB, HARD TO LEAVE!!
Great Employee
Customer Service Representative/ Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Harrington, DESeptember 7, 2014
Pros: friendly trustworthy smart
Cons: bad handwriting
I'm a great down to earth person, that can make friendly conversation with anyone. Very hard worker that comes from a family owned business. I am always the first person to get to work and the last to leave. I am customer service trained and salesman second.
fun work place with other employees!! you will learn alot about products and what they do!!
Cashier (Former Employee), Richmond, VAAugust 22, 2014
Pros: some employees make it fun
Cons: raises rarely or none!!! no acknowledge of job weel done!!!!
Great place to work even though I don't think they give employees enough credit for the hard work. raises are hard to get if you are lucky enough to get one. no acknowledge 0f good work.
Not a good place for a future
SR BILLING (Former Employee), Richmond, VAJune 3, 2014
Pros: no communicate at all, some of employee was friendly
Cons: short break for some, no advancement opportuntity
This wasn't a good place to work at all they were all about themselves didn't care about the employees. Like the former writer wrote back in 2012 layoff people while still hiring at the same time didn't understand that at all give you no reason why they laid you off. No future in this place at all for the young people

Constantly see hiring ad still.

July 7, 2014

They are still hiring like I said they was hiring and laying off at the same time and they do this every four years that why you constantly see hiring ad because they can't keep nobody they laid off people who had 25 years into this company know how does this make them feel laid off and the company is advertising their position constantly seeing ad for the same job you was laid off . No good raises as well

Good enviroment.
Laborer/Fork Lift Operator/Truck Driver (Former Employee), Belhaven, NCJune 3, 2014
Learn a lot on this job. From learning about mix fertilizer to driving tracktor trailers and flatbed trucks.
Alot of travel which helped me meet alot of people
Associate Sales Representative (Former Employee), OhioMay 21, 2014
Pros: travel and see the state
Cons: staying in motels
Great job to have if you like to travel. My co workers were fun to get together with. Always had team work when we did a trade show. the most enjoyable part of the job was helping the customers and working closely with them. the hardest part was being away form home on weekends
night shift
Fork lift operator (Former Employee), Gettysburg, PAMarch 11, 2014
I would drive forklift loading and unloading trucks all night.
ministry of education
Senior Secondary School Teacher (Former Employee), Bahrel ghazal stateFebruary 2, 2014
work as executive director ministry of education work as teacher
productive and fun working enviromnet
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee), Lumberton, NCJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: meeting new people
a typical day at this job is very rewarding, in the process I learned that my co workers are my family. management was awesome and my co-worker where excellent. there was no and parts to this job that where hard because it was so easy to learn. the most enjoyable thing was meeting new people.
Fun workplace where you get to meet new and friendly people
Sales Clerk/Event Coordinator (Current Employee), Gloucester, VAJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: generally friendly staff of co-workers
Cons: low pay, low benefits
The typical day at Southern States is generally doing as much as possible to help and correctly fulfill the customers needs.
good
Contractor (Current Employee), Hampton, GAJanuary 9, 2014
Pros: good field work
Cons: to much managment
Very good people, liked work in field. Working with high voltage switch equipment is what a like.