Southern States Employee Reviews

They will tell you what ever you want to hear to get you in the door.
Propane Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Reidsville, NCAugust 13, 2016
If you apply to be a propane driver or service tech beware. They don't hire enough employees to handle the load of work so If you were like me I was on call 24-7 everyday. But was told when I started that on call would get rotated between 5 people. Two of us was promised a raised after 60 days and that never happened. I asked management about the raise and told, that wouldn't be a problem I would see in my check soon, I never saw. The other guy never got his either. They will tell that insurance starts from day one but I didn't have insurance from 2 months. There is one over all manager for the entire propane department he will interview you but you will never see him after that unless numbers are down. Most problems you will haveto figure out on your own because there is no one to train you. It is the most unorganized company I have ever worked for. Most address, phone numbers and info on tickets are wrong or out of date. They give you 17 days of PTO time when you start but don't tell you that you haven't really earned till the end of the year. If you don't use them you will lose them. You can get paid out for them but at 60% so you don't get paid for the full day. And if you use all your days before October and change jobs they will charge you for them so you might owe the company when you quit. Don't waste your time with this company. KEEP LOOKING!!! They are also in a lot of money trouble so they might not be around much longer anyway.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Will be on call all the time
Cashier and Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Statesville, NCJanuary 13, 2017
Good place to work. Been there along time part time don't get raises. Has good benefits for full time employees. The discount helps also if you have lots of critters to feed.
Very Productive Work Place
Assembly Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GAOctober 18, 2016
Southern States has been around before world war 2. It has survived a lot of changes and several generations. They know how to get as much as possible out the workers. We all worked for the greater good of the company. With 10 minute breaks and 30 minute lunches, allows the company to be very productive.
Pros
Free Coffee and Bonus Days
Cons
Short Breaks
some good people the outlet I loved working with.
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Clinton, NCDecember 3, 2016
Worked with SS for six years as a salesman let me go in june the company is broke to top heavy with no good managers making to much money for nothing I started a new region after I build it up gave to someone who browns nose,some of the mgr.are cowards.
Pros
some good people in some locations.
Cons
they have lost some really good people because of the folks in Richmond
Company was only 7 minutes away from my house.
Assembly Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GA 30228December 22, 2016
Very productive company, who know how to get the best out of employees. Hard work and decent pay for the job. The people are very helpful and they makes sure that you are train properly.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
short breaks
Great place for a part time job.
Sales/customer service (Former Employee) –  Statesville, NCMay 20, 2016
Good place to start out . I learned a lot. But I couldn't advance beyond sales into management without a 4 year collage degree.
Older facility with great potential
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Chesapeake, VASeptember 16, 2015
Excellent farmer owned company with financial opportunities. High volume with poor direction from corporate. Excellent co-workers who work together to accomplish job at hand. The hardest part was dealing with corporate. The most enjoyable part was solving daily problems to ship the maximum with the tools and support given.
Pros
Great location with good benefits and compensation
Cons
Poor upper management with limited vision to grow in the right direction
ok
warehouse associate (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVApril 12, 2016
Its an ok place to work. The management changed constantly and the pay isn't great but i definitely had fun working the job.
Good
Driver/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAJuly 5, 2016
good place friendly people all in all very good place to work I was a forklift operator box truck I ran the front end loader
Pros
grow within company
Cons
some people had a bad day
Southern States
Part-Time Stocker (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 17, 2016
Southern States is a great place. Great co-workers,customers and good people all around. My job was to assist customers with questions and after making purchases I would help load their purchases into the vehicle. I would also stock feed shelves.
farm and garden retail
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, GAApril 11, 2013
Worked mainly as a retail sales cashier. Helped customers with buying selections, took payments on accounts, charged customers orders on accounts as required, cash handling, weighed trucks as needed, stocked store merchandise. I learned a great deal about feeds and fertilizers. It was a great place to work. I learned about ordering from suppliers and stocking merchandise . I also learned about greenhouse work as I helped plant seedlings. The hardest thing about this job was the long hours. My daughter was 3 yrs old then and I wanted more time for her.
Pros
great company and employees, variety of seasonal duties.
Cons
min. wage salary . rotation of saturday 1/2 day work.
Poor Management
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Stephens City, VAFebruary 22, 2013
10hrs+ shifts with only 1 break
Had to work every Saturday which didn't leave much time for family
POOR management due to the manager texting all day and not doing his job what so ever which made it 10 times harder for the employees
Benefits were okay but not hardly good enough for what you had to put up with
Pros
i enjoyed working with my co-workers and seeing the customers
Cons
management and long shifts without breaks
fun work place with other employees!! you will learn alot about products and what they do!!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 22, 2014
Great place to work even though I don't think they give employees enough credit for the hard work. raises are hard to get if you are lucky enough to get one. no acknowledge 0f good work.
Pros
some employees make it fun
Cons
raises rarely or none!!! no acknowledge of job weel done!!!!
Fun atmosphere with great people
Equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYFebruary 3, 2015
I really enjoyed the pace and management and my coworkers at southern states. There just wasn't a lot of room for advancement. the job was seasonal and I need full time work.
good work environment if you are willing to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  roanoke, va 24015December 11, 2011
always had the opportunity to learn and grow. Seasonlly long hours. Benefits were above average when i worked there. compensation could have been better
very stressful place to work.
Sr. Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richond, VAJuly 11, 2015
Very stressful work environment. Management over load employees with work, have too many unproductive meetings then wonder why work isn't getting done. Management doesn't have clue about how work is done and there is no coverage when vacation is taken.
Pros
coworkers are great PeopleSoft
Cons
Thinks 4 yeàr degree is better than work experience.
I liked the job
warehouse associate/stocker (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VAApril 17, 2012
My boss was too nice and his employees took advantage of that. He always told me I was a good worker but I was only part time, with no future. They had some very serious safety issues in the warehouse that made me uncomfortable. He offered me a position (still part time) working up front but you could never find the guys in the back to help the customers so, I manually loaded their vehicles quite frequently. I resigned a few months after my Father passed away.
Pros
organized the warehouse by departments
Cons
no benefits, only part time
Not a good place for a future
SR BILLING (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 3, 2014
This wasn't a good place to work at all they were all about themselves didn't care about the employees. Like the former writer wrote back in 2012 layoff people while still hiring at the same time didn't understand that at all give you no reason why they laid you off. No future in this place at all for the young people

Constantly see hiring ad still.
Pros
No communicate at all, some of employee was friendly
Cons
short break for some, no advancement opportuntity

Comment – July 7, 2014

They are still hiring like I said they was hiring and laying off at the same time and they do this every four years that why you constantly see hiring ad because they can't keep nobody they laid off people who had 25 years into this company know how does this make them feel laid off and the company is advertising their position constantly seeing ad for the same job you was laid off . No good raises as well

productive and fun working enviromnet
Secretary/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lumberton, NCJanuary 27, 2014
a typical day at this job is very rewarding, in the process I learned that my co workers are my family. management was awesome and my co-worker where excellent. there was no and parts to this job that where hard because it was so easy to learn. the most enjoyable thing was meeting new people.
Pros
Meeting new people
job experiance
Warehouse Dock Worker (Former Employee) –  Westfield, MAOctober 30, 2015
southern states is a nice place to work a fast moving work facilities warehouse cause is drop shipment and pick and ship right same day no time to play around but it was a great experience the super visor great people to work with humble and polite the handle they business well the customers and the workers

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern States. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6