Southern Tire Mart Employee Reviews in United States

Growing and broadly diverse company - horizontally integrated.
Retail Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MSFebruary 1, 2016
Southern Tire Mart, LLC is a MS based and owned company which has in its portfolio of businesses 12 from which to find your niche'. Most of them are related to transportation, automotive, heavy construction, and oil & gas.

Organizational style is relatively flat without layers of management, so decisions are made quickly. Company moves at a quick pace.

Ownership is compassionate and has developed a uniquely loyal and tenured workforce uncommon in these industries.

Owners are involved in most every aspect of most operations on a daily basis.
Pros
compensation, ownership/mgt accessible, growth, high employee retention
Cons
One's skills and experience may be unparalleled yet not fit the STM culture.
Great pay/benefits
Dispatcher (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MSMarch 9, 2016
The job itself is great. The hours 7 on / 7 off night shift (5 pm - 5 am) is not so great. The week on you have no time for anything but work and sleep. Co - workers are great and we work very well together. This is definitely not a job for someone with a family.
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
short breaks, long hours
Productive and fun job
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgeport, TXMarch 16, 2016
The management and my co-workers were both pleasant to work with.
A typical work day involved helping customers and making sure I got all my daily tasks done.
Southern tire mart is a good company, not managment
PURCHASE ORDER CLERK (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 11, 2015
Waiting on customers in person and telephone, closing work orders. Taking service calls, making out the work orders for the service calls. We had a time limit on closing these work orders. The work orders that required purchase orders it was my responsiblty for all purchase orders. It was also my responsiblity making sure the work orders were correct before closing. This was very fast paced job.
Pros
MOST OF THE PERSONEL WAS ENJOYABLE TO WORK WITH
Cons
MANAGEMENT WAS NOT PROFESSIONAL
Ok just out of high school job
LINE OPERATOR / MAINTENANCE (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxFebruary 15, 2016
This was just a filler position for me until I found something better. Doesn't have great benifits or pay, hours are aweful and you didn't learn much.
Pros
None really
Cons
See review
Productive and produce quality work
Driver/ Warehouse worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 24, 2015
Grab my customer orders; back my truck up to the loading dock and load up the customer tires onto my truck. I've learned how to work under pressure; work with pretty good management; get along with all my coworkers; my job is not hard at all but I do get to meet different people working at my job
Productive, growing company
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 19, 2015
Fast paced workplace with great employees. Management was nice & accountable.
Best part of working there was being a part of a great team. Once corporate decided to layoff and make changes it got really difficult to handle daily tasks. Over all though I liked my job, the duties that came with it and the people I worked with.
Tire Technician
Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, LAMay 26, 2016
mix concrete is batched and delivered using professional computer monitored batch systems and durable equipment to ensure a quality product arrives on your job site in a safe and timely manner.
Trans am
TIRE TECH (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 27, 2016
Fleet yard checks on all available equipment, replenishing all materials and tires for further repairs. Service calls on down equipment on the road and on the yard.
No raise
Moblie Service (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 18, 2016
I was here 2.5 Years. Again no tools . Just want some where to work if you ask for tools or brake one they replace it my manager was top my service manager was greedy
dont work thier
mechanic (Former Employee) –  houston texasDecember 2, 2015
bad place to work, threaten Employees . they only care about MONEY. work trucks . were Junk old smelled, didn't not stock vehicle with needed supplies. bought CHEAP bolts connector's. over broken , old cellphones cheats to
Pros
Cons
the whole place
Great place for an aggressive outside salesman with a strong back
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXJune 1, 2015
Great job overall. I was free to prospect and work independently. However, the benefits package is not very good. I left due to the amount of manual labor involved. The branch that I worked at was poorly managed and had many deficiencies in process. However, I don't think this is a fair representation of the company as a whole.
Very Productive Job
Overhead Cab Crane Operator/Burner (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJanuary 12, 2015
Cut Billets an manipulated and depressed crane controls, such as pedals, levers and buttons, to regulate speed, direction on crane and hoist movement according to written, and signal instructions. Inspect crane for defective parts. Attached load to hook and other crane accessories prior to operating crane. Operated traveling stationary overhead crane to lift, move and position machinery, equipment, products, solid and bulk materials, using hosting attachment, such as hook. Notified supervisor of defects and malfunctions. Load and Unload trucks, rail cars, and machines.
Pros
great work hours, good environment
Cons
not enough hours and no good benefits
Great learning experience.
Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXNovember 3, 2012
Hardest part of the job was the long hours. The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendly environment that I would go into starting and ending the day with. Mistakes were taken out of your pay and there was little room for advancement as passed over for those with senior experience.
Pros
friendly environment, great weekly pay, plenty of hours, use of new company vehicles.
Cons
no room for advancement, advancement was looked over, relied on too much on off days.

Comment – June 30, 2013

Take it in mind from this store Since January of this year 18 people have quit.This store in Odessa has poor management. If you're fond of drama and enjoy being unappreciated for the hard work and efforts you put in; this would be the place for you. The Manager doesn't put in the effort to fix anything and nor do the supervisors. I personally wouldn't recommend working here

Friendly atmosphere
Air Pressure Tec (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 16, 2015
I enjoyed working here, the people were nice and friendly. There was always things to keep me busy. They have a promotional luncheon every year and Big Foot is usually there every year, prizes for all the customers.
Stressful and unhealthy work environment
Executive Assistant - Government Sales Department (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJune 2, 2015
In addition to my actual job duties, I also handled personal matters for the Director. He was not familiar with most of the functions of my job and was very demanding. The pay became less and less fair the more and more overtime I put in. The medical insurance was very expensive and was more like a discount plan.
horrible place to work
commercial tire tech/OTR Tire Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma, okJanuary 12, 2015
Offers nothing to the tire tech other than agony and anguish. Management and corporate policies are unethical and illegal.
it was a decent place to work but if your lazy its not the place for you
Tire service technician (Former Employee) –  Sulphur, LAJune 4, 2014
My day usually was pretty good. I have learned many different things about mounting and dismounting tires and now I have certifications for TSO and TSA tires.
Pros
meeting new people everyday
Cons
working very long hours, including getting called out at random times, no matter what time you have to go.
Too Many chiefs
Service Manager- Manager over the Service Techs (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, okSeptember 17, 2014
Wanted me to run service dept but no management backing. Management would not back his managers up. When a tech was told to do something management would over ride and it created a conflict
Pros
steady work
Cons
too many hours
Productive fun place to work
Tire Man (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LaFebruary 5, 2013
A typical day at this job was waking up at 5:30am and working a 12 hour shift five days a week and off on weekends. I learned alot over there i didnt know how to do with tires besides change it if you have a flat. Also learn how to drive a forklift and stack the right way. The managment was so cool like they know how to talk to people the right way. They joke with there employees just to show love to them not so up type and mean. My co-workers was so good show me everything i needed to know to get the job done. Lot old guys who like to mess witht the young but other then that they was funny to be around and very helpful. The Hardest part of my job was learning how to stack all the tires high in the warehouse without making them fall. The most enjoyable part of my job was weekends off and getting paid every friday. And also when they did the big carfish boil for the co-workers and all the comapines they had contracts with would come thou and eat with us.
Pros
good benfits and pay