Southern University Employee Reviews in United States

Love the school
(Business) B.S. in Business Management (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 16, 2016
Great environment to learn and meet to exciting people that are striving for achievement just as myself. Loved the coaching staff for baseball and was fortunate to get a baseball scholarship where I succeeded.
High Morale, Family atmosphere
Budget Analyst/Auditor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 7, 2016
Southern University a workplace where you can feel the close knit relationships that exist here. The pay is not the best, and there is usually one person doing multiple jobs to make everything functional. So, its like the saying "overworked and underpaid".
a fun place and a learning envirionment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 4, 2016
As a material scientist, I am given a design problem. I work with a team (yes, the much hated teamwork they give you in school is just practice for the real word) to determine how to solve the problem. I then design my solution based on the fundamental engineering principles that I have learned and the experience that I have gain. I build it, test it, and then improve it before it goes to production. Sometimes due to schedule constraints, all of my improvements cannot be incorporated, thus I must make decisions based on schedule and product performance.
Pros
free food
Cons
short breaks
A good place to work and learn
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 7, 2016
working as a graduate assistant at the southern university has been a great experience. I have had the opportunity to teach other student and conduct research in diverse areas of knowledge.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
little pay
challenging
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2016
The work at Southern Universality was very challenging. There was not enough faculty and I was new at teaching. This was my first job after graduating from Loyola. My boss was my instructor while attending Southern, therefore he made me feel at ease.
Pros
good experience
Cons
not enough faulty
A Joy To Go To Work On A Daily Basis
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 5, 2016
My day at work consisted of gratitude in being afforded an opportunity to work with a company that I would be able to advance with and to be amongst others that I would and could build a relationship with in a friendly work environment that would make us one and a successful team.
Challenging. Meeting needs of clients and solving problems.
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 19, 2016
Challenging. Meeting needs of clients and solving problems.
Co workers are great company to work with. Management is structured.
Pros
quite tasking
Exciting job
Purchasing Operational Officer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 10, 2015
Enjoy helping vendors and employees, and making sure each problem gets solve in a timely manner, along with assisting accounting with payments.
Pros
Meeting new vendors
Cons
No appreication toward employees
Fun workplace with great co-workers
RESIDENTIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 21, 2015
Working at Southern University was a great learning experience. I met so many people while working on campus. Everyone I worked with all seemed to love doing there jobs.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
No pay
work experience aquired
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJuly 8, 2015
Typical Day at Work:
Typed, Filed, Data Input, Document Delivery

Great co-workers

Learned a lot from my supervisor in regards to my field study
Assisting students
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, Louisiana 70126July 2, 2015
My job as an Administrative Assistant in the General Studies Program is to assist students and guide them to their respective Counselor or the Director of the General Studies Program.

I type memorandums, labels, letters, purchase requisitions, etc. for the Counselor and Director.

I screen and answer telephone calls for the Counselor and Director.

I perform various other clerical duties on a daily basis.
Pros
Fringe benefits
Cons
pay
Good Place
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 20, 2015
I enjoyed my time as an adjunct instructor at Southern University. The full time faculty were helpful with lesson plans for a new instructor and the students generally cared about the course.
The work place is inviting.
Intern (Former Employee) –  New OrleansJune 11, 2015
A typical day at Southern University consist of co- workers that are motivated and eager to assist students. The management team equally shared the staff's enthusiasm and often encouraged employees. The hardest part about the internship was available funds provided by the state. The most rewarding is seeing the students excel.
Great Higher Education Institution
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 8, 2015
Some issues but overall a great institution. Southern University is a higher education institution. I worked at the institution in the Payroll department as well as the Planning, Assessment and Institutional Research department.
Productive and fun workplace with so many students to help.
Financial Aid Specialist (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJune 6, 2015
A typical day was busy, I learned how to counsel students on their financial needs for education. Management was very reactive in certain situations and my co-workers were very friendly and helpful. The most challenging part of the job was getting student to submit needed information on time, and the most enjoyable part was registration time.
fun work place
Student worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 22, 2015
• Assist students with technology issues in the computer lab.
• Communicate with students, visitors, and staff answering questions, demonstrate or explain information, address complaints and take orders.
• Answer phone calls, direct/transfer calls, and record messages.
• Operate lab machines, such as scanners, photocopy, and computers
Fun work place working with the student of Southern University
Student Employee / Office Secretary (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 4, 2015
A typical day consisted of contracts, for events, scheduling trips with an educational purpose for the students, providing community events for volunteers services.
Pros
providing community events for volunteers services. good working schedule with classes
Cons
really no cons to spreak of.
not supportive to there employees
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 2, 2015
work from 8am to 5pm. mangement isnt supportive of there employees. hardest part is that we havent had a raise in 7 years. its like you dont have nothing to look forward to when i go to work no challenges . I have met some really nice people
Southern Review
Secretarial Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 29, 2015
Southern University is really the best HBCU that is out there. The experience here has taught me so much and has allowed me to mature and become more independent.
Building a new program
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LAApril 14, 2015
Working in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina was the most important job I ever experienced up close and personal. The mission of this assignment was detailed and focused and I felt I was on a mission.
Pros
The culture of New Orleans/The Diversity of the students

4.3