Southern University Employee Reviews

Fun place to be at the time
Sports Information Director (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 12, 2017
Fun place to work but tended to be at constant disadvantage with budgetary issues being state institution....culture was a plus and you managed with what you had to work with
Pros
Atmosphere and environment
Cons
Lack of benefits
It was school its not a job
Nursing Student (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJune 9, 2017
I was in nursing school. You do the necessary rotations and class requirements in order to obtain a B.S. in Nursing. I did my clinical rotation at Heritage House. We did ACCU checks, vital signs, and wound care. We also gave head to toe physical examinations, catheterizations, bed making, patient feeding, and also wound care.
Culture driven, All about education of students and how they can and will succeed
Adjunct Instructor (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMay 7, 2017
I have enjoyed working for SUSLA so far. I am an alumni of Southern Shreveport, and now I am an educator in which I have worked in different areas! Each student I have come into contact with are succeeding in their studies as well as making great strides in their careers. I am able to work with many great people professors, administrators, and staff members.
Class act police department
Police Officer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 5, 2017
Good fellow officers. The ability to come up with and have ideas seriously considered was a joy. Was able to have very good advanced training and ideas implemented.
Pros
Working for the State of Louisiana, good knowledgeable, well trained personnel
Cons
Chief answered to a dean at the university...sometimes cause animosity amongst department
Productive very fast paced
Commentary Writer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 3, 2017
On a typical day there is planning and organizing g than a plan is brought fourth and executed. The management was very strict and organized. Hardest part was when other workers did not meet their deadlines.
Southern Life
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 3, 2017
This University is Okay. I am a Master's student here, so I work for my out- of- state tuition to be waived. It is pretty laid back, and I just do usual clerical work.
Awesome
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMarch 20, 2017
A great area to get your feet wet and learn endlessly. I love the culture and the happiness of the employees. l have learn to be as professional as possible.
Educational Leadership
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Shreveport, LAMarch 11, 2017
I enjoyed my experiences was great with this organization. I really liked working for organization who values you opinions. The hardest part of the job was having to leave my coworkers.
Pros
Free tution
Cons
No health care
Fun Loving and Exciting
Business Office Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Shreveport, LAJanuary 24, 2017
This was a very exciting place to be a part of new day to day task with interested outcomes. Very inspiring and fun loving place to be a part of with day to day challenges.
Pros
exciting
Cons
na
Basic work-study job presented forth to students.
Student Worker (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 12, 2017
Basic money accumulation method for Southern University's students. Students are allow to study at work. Payout occurs every month. Up to $1500 can be made per semester.
Fun job
Executive Producer (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 30, 2016
This was a part time producers job telling the story of what Southern University had to offer the community. I produced this show for 2 years,
Pros
Exciting
Cons
Not many breaks
Love the school
(Business) B.S. in Business Management (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 16, 2016
Great environment to learn and meet to exciting people that are striving for achievement just as myself. Loved the coaching staff for baseball and was fortunate to get a baseball scholarship where I succeeded.
High Morale, Family atmosphere
Budget Analyst/Auditor (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 7, 2016
Southern University a workplace where you can feel the close knit relationships that exist here. The pay is not the best, and there is usually one person doing multiple jobs to make everything functional. So, its like the saying "overworked and underpaid".
a fun place and a learning envirionment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJuly 4, 2016
As a material scientist, I am given a design problem. I work with a team (yes, the much hated teamwork they give you in school is just practice for the real word) to determine how to solve the problem. I then design my solution based on the fundamental engineering principles that I have learned and the experience that I have gain. I build it, test it, and then improve it before it goes to production. Sometimes due to schedule constraints, all of my improvements cannot be incorporated, thus I must make decisions based on schedule and product performance.
Pros
free food
Cons
short breaks
A good place to work and learn
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAMay 7, 2016
working as a graduate assistant at the southern university has been a great experience. I have had the opportunity to teach other student and conduct research in diverse areas of knowledge.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
little pay
challenging
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 21, 2016
The work at Southern Universality was very challenging. There was not enough faculty and I was new at teaching. This was my first job after graduating from Loyola. My boss was my instructor while attending Southern, therefore he made me feel at ease.
Pros
good experience
Cons
not enough faulty
A Joy To Go To Work On A Daily Basis
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAApril 5, 2016
My day at work consisted of gratitude in being afforded an opportunity to work with a company that I would be able to advance with and to be amongst others that I would and could build a relationship with in a friendly work environment that would make us one and a successful team.
Challenging. Meeting needs of clients and solving problems.
Business Consultant (Current Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LAJanuary 19, 2016
Challenging. Meeting needs of clients and solving problems.
Co workers are great company to work with. Management is structured.
Pros
quite tasking
Exciting job
Purchasing Operational Officer (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LADecember 10, 2015
Enjoy helping vendors and employees, and making sure each problem gets solve in a timely manner, along with assisting accounting with payments.
Pros
Meeting new vendors
Cons
No appreication toward employees
Fun workplace with great co-workers
RESIDENTIAL ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Baton Rouge, LASeptember 21, 2015
Working at Southern University was a great learning experience. I met so many people while working on campus. Everyone I worked with all seemed to love doing there jobs.
Pros
Free Housing
Cons
No pay