Southern Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews

Productive environment
Ware House laborer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Good place to work and but not much room for advancement. This job was very flexible with schedule. Over all the hardest thing in the beginning is getting things done by the deadline, but once you get the groove it is a piece of cake.
Pros
calm but productive work environment
Cons
short breaks and no room for advancement
Fun off premise sales/merchandiser job
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Sell, order, and receive liquor and wine inventory for book of stores in area. request display and end cap space for extra in store maketing of products. Set up displays and continue to stock them as needed to keep integrity of display through term of display life.
Pros
salary with good hours and car allowance
Cons
can be large number of miles required to drive to store locations
Day to Day
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2016
My day to day will always bring my light to start my day, I love interacting with people, very well spoken and know how to treat others as well to make them feel good enough to allow me to assist them.
Pros
my pros is to always be positive
Cons
my cons is to always stay focus
High pressure job with bad management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Southern was challenging for a people person as myself. The manager and co-workers were too concerned with being perfect and not making mistakes. I did learn a great deal about different wines and spirits and the complexities of working in an extremely professional environment. Management is what you would expect in a large corporation as well as the co-workers. It was difficult to be a cog and not be friendly with customers. I did enjoy all the knowledge about wines and spirits.
Pros
Benefits and Union representation
Cons
Ineffective managers and poor worker relations with HR.
Disciplined and Organized
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2016
As a Human Resources coordinator, I had to multitask through actively participating in the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention, addressing employee matters and organizing work activities for a the company. Holding this position I was responsible for preparing and coordinating any functions pertaining to employment, compensation, labor negotiations and employee relations. As the Human Resources coordinator, I played an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to management. As well as conducted a substantial amount of research, analyzing and reporting in addition to all daily tasks.
enjoy my job
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 5, 2016
a willingness to see employees succeed in every area of their job description. words of encouragement are given on a regular basis
Direct Supervisor lacks employee training & management skills
administrative assistant / receptionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 1, 2015
Direct supervisor was not supportive in a way that I needed her to be. Speaks so quickly w/o influction that speech is difficult to understand. Makes a lot of assumptions & wasn't particularly an effective listener or communicator. Not good at delegating responsibilities to other admin staff. Within a month of working for the company & receiving piece meal training you are expected to know what you're doing after being shown something once or twice. They use a bizillion computer programs for tracking sales and pulling reports. There's no written instruction to refer back to if you need assistance. I loved the work environment but gave notice because I grew tired & frustrated of dealing with an ineffective, presumptuous supervisor.
Pros
Free lunch available sometimes, Free liquor / wine, a friendly, positive, professional work environment
Cons
Poor communication & Training system in place
Best distributor network in the world.
District Manager of Spirits (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2015
A great company to work for if you are up to the challenges presented to you. Best advice I can offer is seize your opportunities to grow your business, and show who you are within the ranks.
Pros
The freedoms of outside sales calling on various territories.
Cons
Not a typical banker's work day.
Established and successful Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYNovember 13, 2015
I was temping here while someone was out on maternity leave. I enjoyed working with Southern Wine very much. Unfortunately there weren't any permanent positions available at the time or I would have stayed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Temporary employment only
Provided a challenging and rewarding environment to work in.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 12, 2015
I worked with and worked for a great group of people who genuinely cared about their working associates. I always felt their was more to learn and always felt motivated to do the best job possible. I always felt appreciated and was made to know when I did a good job. Southern Wine and Spirits created a fun and rewarding environment to work in.
Pros
free access to events such as wine shows and concerts. Access to excellent health care.
Cons
being an off property employee sometimes created situations where I had to travel for meetings
Got along with my co-workers and officers, very nice place to work and a fast and busy day every day. enjoyed my job very much and
INVENTORY COSTING SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 11, 2015
Very interesting job, learning about wines and spirits and also working for all the Vendors and Customers, you would be busy the whole day and I liked that. Making sure invoices and orders matched in order to process them and have checks printed and mailed to out to vendors.
Pros
They were always treating us to special events, lunches and holiday parties, appreciating our work.
Cons
We had two 15 minute breaks a day
Family oriented company
Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 9, 2015
Good, stable company, good benefits. Comfortable place to work, treat the employees well. little room and opportunity to grow.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much much opportunity grow.
production warehouse shipping and unloading
WAREHOUSE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLOctober 31, 2015
I liked working at this warehouse, we all work together and got along great. I work the graveyard shift, but because we work so well together time flew by quickly. our job was running the line, packing, unpacking and loading. keeping inventory of everything boxed and opened.
Productive workplace
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Rockford, ILOctober 26, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent pay structure with good commissions.
fair
On- Premise Wine and Liquor Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  tampaOctober 22, 2015
Is not a family oriented company what so ever. Management is all about themselves as well as suppliers. Would not go back if they paid me millions.
good pay
Territorial Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 19, 2015
great pay horrible management un balanced work lif ratio. lots of last minute meetings 5am 7 pm no extra help to lighten load. many days off spent working.
Fast pace work environment where Customer Service and Sales are #1
Store Director, Asst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2015
Job Duties Included opening up shop, and break down multiple pallet loads that was delivered on a daily basis and receive product into store inventory as well. Customer Service and Sales are essential, as well as creating and setting up new accounts for new customers. Maintaining a professional business relationship in order to make sales and to up-sale on a large scale all while managing a team and outfitting our store location with proper display of product that was on push for the month. I was responsible for balancing out business transactions at the end of every work day and closing up shop. I've learned to manage my time and team along with controlling Inventory cost and keeping product in stock to make sure sales flow was profitable for the company. Building confidence in, not only myself, but for the purpose of company goals and sales, and have a better understanding of the vast variety of product sold for distribution. The most difficult part of the job was the lack of man power at work while we were at our busiest times of the seasons. However, the amount of work on a busy day had every employee built up for a great day of sales and business accomplishments
Pros
Constant face time with Suppliers from Major Brands and Incentives and rewards for competitive sales
Cons
Always a need for more hired help at each store location.
Productive, fast paced, fun and interesting workplace.
sales coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FloridaOctober 8, 2015
In my 13 years at SWS my daily responsibilities varied greatly. During my time as a merchandiser in the off premise wine division, responsibilities included writing orders, building and maintaining floor displays, racks, pricing products, installation of point of sale material and maintaining the integrity of shelf sets and plan-o-grams.

As a merchandiser in the independent liquor division I was responsible for multiple accounts. Responsibilities included writing orders, building and maintaining floor displays, installation of point of sale, writing product reviews, unloading trucks, checking in orders and assisting customers. During the holiday season I was part of a team of merchandisers that was responsible for setting up new point of sale materials and promoting new brands at various conventions throughout the state of Florida.

As a retail shelf analyst responsibilities included measuring shelf sets as well as new bottle dimensions and forwarding all information to the category management division. Once a store was in possession of new plan-o-grams, I not only attended but lead a team in the reset of the store. Other responsibilities included weekly monitoring of shelf sets to ensure their integrity as well as the integrity of the brands I represented.

As a sales coordinator with the ABC fine wine and spirits division all of the responsibilities listed above were used on a daily basis. In this division, I was also tasked with preparing stores for surveys ran by high level executives, store owners, as well as vice presidents of very well known liquor and
  more... wine suppliers.

In my years at SWS I learned to deal with many personality types, whether they were customers or management. Overcoming all obstacles was a very big part of the job, whether it was personality conflicts, computer errors, etc. I learned to keep a cool head and thrive under pressure which was immense during October, November and December when the liquor industry does about 75% of it's business. The hardest part of the job was the long demanding hours and some overnight stays out of town away from my family. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that the industry was always changing and growing which provided a need to stay educated and up to date on industry policies, procedures, new products etc.
Pros
Local traveling, always meeting new people
Cons
very demanding seasonal hours
Its ok
Night Warehouse Loader (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 4, 2015
It is a grueling job. Good days off though. You have to work overnight from 5pm to sometimes 8am. Loading trucks with boxes of liquor for distribution.
Pros
3 day weekends
Cons
14 hour graveyard shifts
market share leaders of wine and spirits
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Goleta,CA. to Thousand Oaks,CA.October 1, 2015
loved the daily battle for space and placement with competitors, building new brands, and the overall satisfaction of owning an account.
Pros
incentive based trips and outings
Cons
constant managment change with little experience