Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews in United States

Disciplined and Organized
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2016
As a Human Resources coordinator, I had to multitask through actively participating in the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention, addressing employee matters and organizing work activities for a the company. Holding this position I was responsible for preparing and coordinating any functions pertaining to employment, compensation, labor negotiations and employee relations. As the Human Resources coordinator, I played an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to management. As well as conducted a substantial amount of research, analyzing and reporting in addition to all daily tasks.
High pressure job with bad management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Southern was challenging for a people person as myself. The manager and co-workers were too concerned with being perfect and not making mistakes. I did learn a great deal about different wines and spirits and the complexities of working in an extremely professional environment. Management is what you would expect in a large corporation as well as the co-workers. It was difficult to be a cog and not be friendly with customers. I did enjoy all the knowledge about wines and spirits.
Pros
Benefits and Union representation
Cons
Ineffective managers and poor worker relations with HR.
Fun company with excellent training, compensation and benefits.
NYC Combo Off-Premise Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYAugust 29, 2015
Southern Wine and Spirits of America, Inc. (SWS) is the largest privately held distributor of distilled spirits, wine, beer, and nonalcoholic beverages in the USA. Working for the largest distributor makes the job more fun because people respect the name.

SWS strives to offer superior quality products and service through continuous improvement in all aspects of its’ business based on a dedication to employee development and resulting in a continued commitment towards maximizing customer satisfaction while generating profits. SWS provides all of the tools and training needed to be successful in business and in life.
Pros
The company is a fun company to work for with excellent training, compensation and benefits if you are in sales and in the field.
Cons
Management leaves a lot to be desired, pressure to do more with less, disrupts Job Work/Life Balance requiring 6 or 7 day work to keep up.
Should have been a driver
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, New YorkAugust 17, 2015
Great job if you happen to be a union driver. Management dislikes the fact that the drivers are unionized. They don't like having to pay union scale. Drivers get away with just about everything. Middle management ends up getting the brunt of corporate ire. We were blamed for every driver misdeed. Transportation manager unable to think his way out of a square room with one door. Very vindictive culture. Always had to cover my butt because another manager or supervisor WILL stab you in the back to make himself look good. Great pay for the drivers. Some made six figures. OT was guaranteed. They could work half a day and still get paid for a full day. And you wonder why liquor costs so much.
Pros
Pay, time off, good benefits, union shop
Cons
Union shop, clueless management, poor working conditions
Contract
Human Resources Representative (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 20, 2016
Successful work experience within the Human Resources Division for the North Florida region.

Entailed providing a comprehensive administrative support to day-to-day operations of human resources ensuring the efficient delivery of salary payments, salary adjustments, recruitment processes, and the accuracy of employee data records. HR Assistant liaises closely with human resources department, finance and accounts department and other departments throughout the organization providing a customer focused and effective HR support service to the organization to achieve the organization goals and objectives.
Self paced position with flexible hours.
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 29, 2016
I was making their boxes for shipment for about three months. I got to pick and choose my hours and as long as they added up to 40 and I met my daily quota of boxes. But that was the only position they wanted me in and they pay was good but the 8 hours of box making was just not to my liking. The management was great, and my coworkers were really cool but they work they wanted from me and what I wanted to do conflicted to much.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
monotonous labor
The pay scale,benefits,pension and job expectations of this company were fair and made hard work worthwhile.
Warehouse Worker/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILAugust 21, 2015
Southern Wine and Spirits honored the successor clause of the five year Union contract that was in place after purchasing Paramount Distributing Co. During that period a large distribution center had been built in Chicago, Illinois and the operation was moved to the new facility. The distance of the commute and lack of assurance of a full- time position was the only reason to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Union payscale, benefits, pension and job security
Cons
Moving of the operation ending my career with Southern Wine and Spirits
Productive and Positive Workplace
Administrative Coordinator, Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 14, 2016
The day typically consisted primarily of accessing and printing off reports of the weekly promotional displays of various vendors' product(s) advertising for inside the store and store window displays, (i.e.: liquor stores, supermarkets). Other duties included assisting merchandisers with a tracking system of their activities with stores and vendors with special requests made for various products. This included the allocation of stock to stores and maintaining the flow of stock to stores.

My time spent at Southern Wine was an enjoyable learning adventure and first time experience learning the operation of a wine/liquor distribution company.

Last minute challenges during the day/week sometimes added pressure of tight deadlines and other miscellaneous follow through duties with other departments but were essentially the daily nature of the work week and industry.

What was the most enjoyable at this organization was the friendliness of staff overall but mainly my merchandising team. We, as a department-whole worked so well together, with the understanding as a group, to help and support each other, even if it was not part of our job responsibilities.
Fun, exciting place to work with room to advance
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILAugust 5, 2015
Very fun, fast paced environment. Would work 16+ hour days which took away from life at home. Benefits and salary were great. First manger was fantastic and very helpful. Once my promotion had started management fell to the wayside and extremely long work days made any personal life impossible.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Friendly Coworkers
Cons
Bad management, long work hours
Productive environment
Ware House laborer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Good place to work and but not much room for advancement. This job was very flexible with schedule. Over all the hardest thing in the beginning is getting things done by the deadline, but once you get the groove it is a piece of cake.
Pros
calm but productive work environment
Cons
short breaks and no room for advancement
Fun off premise sales/merchandiser job
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Sell, order, and receive liquor and wine inventory for book of stores in area. request display and end cap space for extra in store maketing of products. Set up displays and continue to stock them as needed to keep integrity of display through term of display life.
Pros
salary with good hours and car allowance
Cons
can be large number of miles required to drive to store locations
Needs much improvement
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNApril 1, 2016
The night usually goes by fast when you have 6000+ cases that need to be loaded and most of the workers are nice. but the supervisor is the most unprofessional man I've ever had to deal with. he is always playing games on his phone and mumbles while the radio is playing and expects you to hear him and gets mad if you can't. the manager is a nice guy but nobody respects him. just a heads up for anyone apply in the future they are doing mandatory overtime so u work mon-Saturday. it could be a really nice place to work if they change some things. Also I was originally hired as a "forklift driver" but they had me stock trucks for a month and I was pretty annoyed about that.
Pros
45 min lunch break for night shift, nice work out
Cons
supervisor is horrible, communication is poor in warehouse.
Enjoyed my time at Southern & fellow workers and management
sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, Fl.July 15, 2015
Southern Wine & Spirits was a great company to work with. They let you run your territory as your own business (providing your percentages were in the +'s) They also provided constant training to keep up with the times, including computer and sales training. All employees were like family, we were always there to help one another. Management was great as long as you did your job and always showed their appreciation. The part i liked best was dealing directly with the customers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
a few to many meetings, i did not like being off the street to much
USE Commitment Curve
Manager (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLMay 11, 2016
Great People - very passionate Employee Base, most are willing to learn and develop their skills. However the lack of structure, accountability and follow through from leadership lends to a gap in establishing creditability and trust. New Leadership is earnestly working towards improving the culture with an active listening and hands on approach. Future is very bright for this company, great opportunities just some change and growing pains coming from an 80's mindset and flash forwarding to the 21st century in a short time frame.
Pros
Passionate Employee Base
Cons
Growing pains - adapting to change
unorgagnized
Forlift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 31, 2016
A typical day at work would goin in at 7am but not being able to start the actual work until 8am because pallets are needed to be brought to the areas that are being worked in, taking a 15min break at 9am and going back to work until 11am when mid-shift arrives for our department meeting for about 5-15min then to a 30min lunch right after and right back to work until 1:15pm to another 15min break and usually get off around 4:30-5pm I learned that you cant settle for less and know your worth so you can strive for better to the best. The management was horrible in my opinion they would play pretend when visitors was welcomed to view the warehouse and others who was in a higher level in the company, theyd go against there words but word it in a different way the next time it came around, told the employees if there was any problems with the work we had to let them know so it can be fixed but majority of the problems were never fixed so employees dont bother anymore the communication between supervisors to employees also as to supervisors towards other supervisors nobody knows what really goes on in the warehouse that they should know. The coworkers are frustrated with the work and has always complained to eachother but never to the management and human resources. The hardest part about my job was trying to understand the way its managed and the most enjoyable part about it was knowing I wanted to better myself and not be around others with such negativity.
Fun workplace
driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 21, 2016
Around perfect day to make money nice management I love this place Best place to work for. So sweet hr persons the hardest is busy seasons but still perfect
Cons
None is a job
Rewarding if you are willing to work hard
On Premise Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2016
Great company, fast paced and very rewarding if you are a goal driven person. The people here are fun to work with and management will provide the tools for you to succeed if you ask for help.
Family oriented company
Processing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLNovember 9, 2015
Good, stable company, good benefits. Comfortable place to work, treat the employees well. little room and opportunity to grow.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Not much much opportunity grow.
Exciting and Interesting Industry
Administrative Sales Support (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 11, 2016
Typical day is never the same from one day to the next. I may work on sales programming at the start of the day, but by midday I could be prepping the large sales room for an upcoming supplier meeting/event. I assist a sales force 50 strong that is quickly growing with the addition of new key brands. I provide office support for a total of over 100 employees with whatever needs arise. I work with an incredible team of co-workers and supervisors who make each day a privilege to go to work. I get to interact with an interesting mix of suppliers and representatives from a vast array of companies.
Warehouse Manager
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 24, 2015
An typical day would have to be ensured that all orders, cases were processed correctly and promptly. Manage employees that work in full cases area of the warehouse. Safeguards warehouse operations and contents by establishing and monitoring security procedures and protocols. Co-workers are helpful while working as one team. The most enjoyable about the job would have to be learning about the business and room for advancement.
Pros
Being able to do a lot of over time and work life balance