Southern Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews in United States

Sales people rule the company.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLApril 28, 2016
I only know about the IT group in general. Lots of micromanagement and mismanagement. I wouldn't go back there. Other than IT is seems to be a good place to work.
Pros
cake for your birthday
Cons
micromanagement
Warehouse Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 18, 2016
Great warehouse job to work at financially , Provides stability . Just not enough time aeay from work. Great manager though and the coworkers are pretty amazing as well.
on the job
Lead , Inventory control (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 15, 2016
I can't say any thing bad about southern wine & spirits why were good to me for the time I work there but just like ever job comes changes .
Pros
there med and denatel
Cons
New management
Depends on your division
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAApril 11, 2016
All divisions are treated and run different. If you are lucky enough to walk into a division that is run by a good manager you will enjoy your job.
Pros
Fun events, great connections, lots of wine samples
Cons
Vacations are hard to take, You always need to have your phone on.
Very good company with good benefits.
System Operator / Jr. Administrator (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 7, 2016
Large company with lots of perks and benefits for employees. Has good standards and good management. Fast pace company which acquired many of its competitors and elevated its service in the process.
Pros
Good management and benefits
Cons
Work life balance not the best.
Needs much improvement
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Shakopee, MNApril 1, 2016
The night usually goes by fast when you have 6000+ cases that need to be loaded and most of the workers are nice. but the supervisor is the most unprofessional man I've ever had to deal with. he is always playing games on his phone and mumbles while the radio is playing and expects you to hear him and gets mad if you can't. the manager is a nice guy but nobody respects him. just a heads up for anyone apply in the future they are doing mandatory overtime so u work mon-Saturday. it could be a really nice place to work if they change some things. Also I was originally hired as a "forklift driver" but they had me stock trucks for a month and I was pretty annoyed about that.
Pros
45 min lunch break for night shift, nice work out
Cons
supervisor is horrible, communication is poor in warehouse.
unorgagnized
Forlift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 31, 2016
A typical day at work would goin in at 7am but not being able to start the actual work until 8am because pallets are needed to be brought to the areas that are being worked in, taking a 15min break at 9am and going back to work until 11am when mid-shift arrives for our department meeting for about 5-15min then to a 30min lunch right after and right back to work until 1:15pm to another 15min break and usually get off around 4:30-5pm I learned that you cant settle for less and know your worth so you can strive for better to the best. The management was horrible in my opinion they would play pretend when visitors was welcomed to view the warehouse and others who was in a higher level in the company, theyd go against there words but word it in a different way the next time it came around, told the employees if there was any problems with the work we had to let them know so it can be fixed but majority of the problems were never fixed so employees dont bother anymore the communication between supervisors to employees also as to supervisors towards other supervisors nobody knows what really goes on in the warehouse that they should know. The coworkers are frustrated with the work and has always complained to eachother but never to the management and human resources. The hardest part about my job was trying to understand the way its managed and the most enjoyable part about it was knowing I wanted to better myself and not be around others with such negativity.
enjoyed some of the employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2016
credits, scanning, answering call from sales reps and customers. problem solving took about 95 calls a day. there was alot of clicks made the environment stressful at time
Pros
well paying job
Cons
did not agree with manangement policies
Fun workplace
driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 21, 2016
Around perfect day to make money nice management I love this place Best place to work for. So sweet hr persons the hardest is busy seasons but still perfect
Cons
None is a job
Productive and Positive Workplace
Administrative Coordinator, Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 14, 2016
The day typically consisted primarily of accessing and printing off reports of the weekly promotional displays of various vendors' product(s) advertising for inside the store and store window displays, (i.e.: liquor stores, supermarkets). Other duties included assisting merchandisers with a tracking system of their activities with stores and vendors with special requests made for various products. This included the allocation of stock to stores and maintaining the flow of stock to stores.

My time spent at Southern Wine was an enjoyable learning adventure and first time experience learning the operation of a wine/liquor distribution company.

Last minute challenges during the day/week sometimes added pressure of tight deadlines and other miscellaneous follow through duties with other departments but were essentially the daily nature of the work week and industry.

What was the most enjoyable at this organization was the friendliness of staff overall but mainly my merchandising team. We, as a department-whole worked so well together, with the understanding as a group, to help and support each other, even if it was not part of our job responsibilities.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 8, 2016
Sales calls, merchandising, selling / learned to associate with different types of people in order to produce results / organizing your work week was toughest part of job / meeting and associating with different people everyday was most enjoyable part of day / great co-workers and managers
Pros
Healthcare and Flexibility
Cons
unorganized at times
Thank you!
Warehouse Team Member and Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 2, 2016
I became a better employee and a better human being in this company. I went from a regular employee to a Supervisor using all the tools and training they provided. I will always be grateful for the opportunity.
Self paced position with flexible hours.
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 29, 2016
I was making their boxes for shipment for about three months. I got to pick and choose my hours and as long as they added up to 40 and I met my daily quota of boxes. But that was the only position they wanted me in and they pay was good but the 8 hours of box making was just not to my liking. The management was great, and my coworkers were really cool but they work they wanted from me and what I wanted to do conflicted to much.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
monotonous labor
Contract
Human Resources Representative (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 20, 2016
Successful work experience within the Human Resources Division for the North Florida region.

Entailed providing a comprehensive administrative support to day-to-day operations of human resources ensuring the efficient delivery of salary payments, salary adjustments, recruitment processes, and the accuracy of employee data records. HR Assistant liaises closely with human resources department, finance and accounts department and other departments throughout the organization providing a customer focused and effective HR support service to the organization to achieve the organization goals and objectives.
Exciting and Interesting Industry
Administrative Sales Support (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 11, 2016
Typical day is never the same from one day to the next. I may work on sales programming at the start of the day, but by midday I could be prepping the large sales room for an upcoming supplier meeting/event. I assist a sales force 50 strong that is quickly growing with the addition of new key brands. I provide office support for a total of over 100 employees with whatever needs arise. I work with an incredible team of co-workers and supervisors who make each day a privilege to go to work. I get to interact with an interesting mix of suppliers and representatives from a vast array of companies.
Rewarding if you are willing to work hard
On Premise Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2016
Great company, fast paced and very rewarding if you are a goal driven person. The people here are fun to work with and management will provide the tools for you to succeed if you ask for help.
Productive environment
Ware House laborer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Good place to work and but not much room for advancement. This job was very flexible with schedule. Over all the hardest thing in the beginning is getting things done by the deadline, but once you get the groove it is a piece of cake.
Pros
calm but productive work environment
Cons
short breaks and no room for advancement
Fun off premise sales/merchandiser job
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Sell, order, and receive liquor and wine inventory for book of stores in area. request display and end cap space for extra in store maketing of products. Set up displays and continue to stock them as needed to keep integrity of display through term of display life.
Pros
salary with good hours and car allowance
Cons
can be large number of miles required to drive to store locations
Day to Day
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2016
My day to day will always bring my light to start my day, I love interacting with people, very well spoken and know how to treat others as well to make them feel good enough to allow me to assist them.
Pros
my pros is to always be positive
Cons
my cons is to always stay focus
High pressure job with bad management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Southern was challenging for a people person as myself. The manager and co-workers were too concerned with being perfect and not making mistakes. I did learn a great deal about different wines and spirits and the complexities of working in an extremely professional environment. Management is what you would expect in a large corporation as well as the co-workers. It was difficult to be a cog and not be friendly with customers. I did enjoy all the knowledge about wines and spirits.
Pros
Benefits and Union representation
Cons
Ineffective managers and poor worker relations with HR.