Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Merchandiser (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2015
I begin my day reading my emails so I can figure out the way I will be running my route I average about 19 stops on any given day. I drive to my first store make a list of product I will need from the back stock then check in with store receiver's I will fill the coolers and shelves with back stock, check with managers for any special instructions then check out with receiver. I repeat these steps for every location I walk into in a 10hr period.

I learned:
Time Management, Customer Service, Patience, Team Leadership, and Communication with my co-workers.

Hardest part of the job would be patience

The best thing about the job would have to be the relationships I build with customers and co-workers
A decent job for civilians if you can get over the cliques and lack of communication.
Inventory Control Specialist/Cycle Counter (Former Employee), Shakopee, MNJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Free lunches, possible product discounts
Cons: HR Department, lack of communication
A typical day would involve operation forklift and/or order picker to move product or reach high areas to get an accurate count of product. I learned to use the WM System and was trained on the job for all equipment use. The management is very friendly, but there are some that are only that way in front of you. The same goes with coworkers. There are a couple coworkers that would harass you since you are not in their clique. You are looked down upon by some of the union members. The most difficult part of the job was just dealing with some of the coworkers. I learned a lot and do not regret accepting my position with Southern Wine and Spirits. I think that the HR department needs some work though. Having submitted multiple complaints, only to be told that I am using my disability as an excuse to feel that I was harassed. Then to turn around to be reported and disciplined for something I had nothing to do with. Because I was not "okay" with some of the coworkers. I have never had an issue with a coworker before. I lost my position just a couple weeks after my child was born and was forced to take on all labor costs. If you can ignore how some of the management does things and somehow become part of the union clique, then you will enjoy this job.
Enjoyed my time at Southern & fellow workers and management
sales consultant (Former Employee), Orlando, Fl.July 15, 2015
Pros: great benefits
Cons: a few to many meetings, i did not like being off the street to much
Southern Wine & Spirits was a great company to work with. They let you run your territory as your own business (providing your percentages were in the +'s) They also provided constant training to keep up with the times, including computer and sales training. All employees were like family, we were always there to help one another. Management was great as long as you did your job and always showed their appreciation. The part i liked best was dealing directly with the customers.
Supportive management, great team to work with - wonderful colleagues
On Premise Sales Representative (Former Employee), Southern NH TerritoryJuly 14, 2015
Pros: Set your own schedule, being outside interracting with accounts on a daily basis
Cons: Could sometimes be a very tiring schedule with many late nights and activities
Each week I created own schedule with specific goals in mind to be met by end of each day. I treated my job as if it were my own business and believe that is how I was able to be consistantly successful.

A typical day could consist of any or all of the following:
use of Pro- Diver, a tool I would utilize for pulling reports on account purchases and volume to strategize meeting assigned goals and programming. Also daily account appointments- about 8-10 per day, with or without suppliers. Wine and or spirit tasting/sampling with customers, staff education trainings on products and general wine or spirit knowledge, creating graphics for wine and or spirit features and menu writing. Also created information sheets with drink recipes and generic feature cards in order to more quickly gain new placements with accounts.

Other responsibilities included participating in wine and or spirit tastings for public and privately held events as well as conducting wine and spirit dinners.

The management at Southern Wine & Spirits was supportive and also consistent with positive reinforcement. I also felt that they helped encourage positive life to work balance.

My experience with co-workers was extremely positive. We were a very close knit team that worked together and shared ideas, successes and suggestions so that everyone was in turn successful.

Reflecting back I would say that the most difficult part of this job was being consistent with revisiting all the goals and programs that were on the table so that none would fall the cracks. It was very easy to get wrapped up – more... in day to day responsibilities and lose sight of the bigger picture. The take away was that I had to learn to set aside time each day and week to evaluate my direction and question myself to see if I was still on track.

I found the daily interactions with accounts to be fun and exciting, as there was always something new to share. I also really enjoyed developing the relationships I had with my buyers and appreciated the challenges that would periodically arise with "special" personalities. – less
Great for new Sales Reps
Key Account On-premise Representative (Current Employee), Northern VaJuly 7, 2015
If you are a new rep looking to get some experience under your belt then this might work for you. Plenty of room for self growth but no real long term advancement.
fun place to work.
On & off premise sales & marketing of fine spirits (Current Employee), Sandy, UTahJuly 6, 2015
routing, driving, selling spirits to restaurants and night clubs along the wasatch front. including promo event marketing and dealing with decision makers on a daily basis. Selling booze in Utah is challenging to say the least. ;)
Convivial
Portfolio Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 6, 2015
Pros: very social
Cons: late nights
SWS is a great company to work for. The management is efficient and reliable. The spirit is competitive and motivating.
Warehouse Manager
Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee), Columbia, SCJune 24, 2015
Pros: Being able to do a lot of over time and work life balance
Cons: Long hours
An typical day would have to be ensured that all orders, cases were processed correctly and promptly. Manage employees that work in full cases area of the warehouse. Safeguards warehouse operations and contents by establishing and monitoring security procedures and protocols. Co-workers are helpful while working as one team. The most enjoyable about the job would have to be learning about the business and room for advancement.
Fast paced, high stressed yet rewarding position
Chain District Manager (Current Employee), CerritosJune 16, 2015
With strong negotiating, sales, and time management skills I have been able to succeed over the past few years both managing a territory as well as a diverse team.
Sales Consultant
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), FloridaJune 15, 2015
A good company to work for as long as the head-hunter mentality is a dominant personality trait. Good benefits, decent pay.
Great company with hard working dedicated employees
Internal Auditor (Current Employee), Miramar, FLJune 10, 2015
Pros: Caring, room to grow
Cons: People do not leave, hard to be promoted
Southern offers an understanding and caring culture. Pay is fair and employees really care about the company. One of the best in the market and everyone around you will know.
fun work place
Forklift operator (Former Employee), Miami, FLJune 9, 2015
fun work place good set of people there always a lot of overtime when the busy season comes around about the end of October till about January.
Relaxing yet fast paced environment
Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZJune 1, 2015
Very relaxed work place, managers were willing to develop new strategies to improve their organization. Work schedule was very flexible, coworkers were friendly.
Fun, family oriented company
Benefits Administrator (Current Employee), Miramar, FLMay 27, 2015
Company invests in their employees and there are multiple opportunities available. Benefits are standard and the job has some perks.
Top Performing District Manager at Southern Wine & Spirits
District Manager (Current Employee), Pasadena, CAMay 13, 2015
Pros: Selling an amazing product to the most amazing territory.
Cons: SWS is an exceptional company catering to an amazing industry.
Southern Wine & Spirits is the leading distributor of beverage alcohol. By being a customer-focused organization, I’m able to address the needs and expectations of my team members and customers to help exceed monthly quotas. In doing so, I’m able to capitalize on the relationships I have developed to help deliver superior customer service while exceeding the goals set forth by the organization and the suppliers.
Great Job For Someone Who Is Independent and Self Reliant
Chain Territory Manager (Former Employee), Cerritos, CAMay 12, 2015
This Job is great for someone who is self motivated and likes to be on the go. With the overseeing of 25-35 accounts (must see 7 a day) you will never run out of things to do and something can always be improved. Constantly meeting new people and interacting with a wide range of personalities. Upper management was always helpful, knowledgeable, and motivating.
A lot of independence and able to job without much direction
Sales Territory Manager (Former Employee), Cerritos, CAMay 12, 2015
Pros: Independence and the ability to control how much salary I could make.
Cons: Management controlling prices and the ability to sell allocated items
I had a daily list of accounts that I was responsible to call on. I would work on merchandising the store, small resets, replenish displays, shelves and cold box. Discuss possible order, introduce new products and follow up on any money that was due. I really enjoyed helping my accounts become successful. The relationships I developed became more than just a business relationship. Many I have still kept in contact after retirement. The distribution of new products sometimes became tedious.
Good place to work and move up
Sales (Former Employee), Denver, COMay 10, 2015
If you are willing to work, learn from your managers and invest in educating yourself you can easily move up in this company
Extreme Labor intensive job
Merchandiser/Sales (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLMay 8, 2015
Pros: good benefits
Cons: terrible management
I am displeased with the company. when I had the interview, the way they described the job was incorrect. claimed there is opportunity to move up in the company within 6 months, they never mentioned that it was only based on Who you know in order to move up. also was informed my days start out between 5-6am.... as time went on they are now forcing me to start at 2:30am.
Unproductive work environment
Driver Helper (Part-Time) (Former Employee), Syosset, NYMay 7, 2015
We sat around all day waiting to be called for a route. Checks were not available when announced and the people were unprofessional.

1 2 3 4 5

About Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits of America, fueled by alcohol, dominates nationwide. The company is one of the largest distributors of – Read more

Southern Wine & Spirits Salaries

$12.78 per hour
Account Manager
$82,200 per year

Southern Wine & Spirits Photos

Working as a brand ambassador. .