Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews in United States

unorgagnized
Forlift Operator (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 31, 2016
A typical day at work would goin in at 7am but not being able to start the actual work until 8am because pallets are needed to be brought to the areas that are being worked in, taking a 15min break at 9am and going back to work until 11am when mid-shift arrives for our department meeting for about 5-15min then to a 30min lunch right after and right back to work until 1:15pm to another 15min break and usually get off around 4:30-5pm I learned that you cant settle for less and know your worth so you can strive for better to the best. The management was horrible in my opinion they would play pretend when visitors was welcomed to view the warehouse and others who was in a higher level in the company, theyd go against there words but word it in a different way the next time it came around, told the employees if there was any problems with the work we had to let them know so it can be fixed but majority of the problems were never fixed so employees dont bother anymore the communication between supervisors to employees also as to supervisors towards other supervisors nobody knows what really goes on in the warehouse that they should know. The coworkers are frustrated with the work and has always complained to eachother but never to the management and human resources. The hardest part about my job was trying to understand the way its managed and the most enjoyable part about it was knowing I wanted to better myself and not be around others with such negativity.
enjoyed some of the employees
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 23, 2016
credits, scanning, answering call from sales reps and customers. problem solving took about 95 calls a day. there was alot of clicks made the environment stressful at time
Pros
well paying job
Cons
did not agree with manangement policies
Fun workplace
driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 21, 2016
Around perfect day to make money nice management I love this place Best place to work for. So sweet hr persons the hardest is busy seasons but still perfect
Cons
None is a job
Productive and Positive Workplace
Administrative Coordinator, Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 14, 2016
The day typically consisted primarily of accessing and printing off reports of the weekly promotional displays of various vendors' product(s) advertising for inside the store and store window displays, (i.e.: liquor stores, supermarkets). Other duties included assisting merchandisers with a tracking system of their activities with stores and vendors with special requests made for various products. This included the allocation of stock to stores and maintaining the flow of stock to stores.

My time spent at Southern Wine was an enjoyable learning adventure and first time experience learning the operation of a wine/liquor distribution company.

Last minute challenges during the day/week sometimes added pressure of tight deadlines and other miscellaneous follow through duties with other departments but were essentially the daily nature of the work week and industry.

What was the most enjoyable at this organization was the friendliness of staff overall but mainly my merchandising team. We, as a department-whole worked so well together, with the understanding as a group, to help and support each other, even if it was not part of our job responsibilities.
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 8, 2016
Sales calls, merchandising, selling / learned to associate with different types of people in order to produce results / organizing your work week was toughest part of job / meeting and associating with different people everyday was most enjoyable part of day / great co-workers and managers
Pros
Healthcare and Flexibility
Cons
unorganized at times
Thank you!
Warehouse Team Member and Assistant Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLMarch 2, 2016
I became a better employee and a better human being in this company. I went from a regular employee to a Supervisor using all the tools and training they provided. I will always be grateful for the opportunity.
Self paced position with flexible hours.
Box Maker (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 29, 2016
I was making their boxes for shipment for about three months. I got to pick and choose my hours and as long as they added up to 40 and I met my daily quota of boxes. But that was the only position they wanted me in and they pay was good but the 8 hours of box making was just not to my liking. The management was great, and my coworkers were really cool but they work they wanted from me and what I wanted to do conflicted to much.
Pros
Flexible hours, decent pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
monotonous labor
Contract
Human Resources Representative (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 20, 2016
Successful work experience within the Human Resources Division for the North Florida region.

Entailed providing a comprehensive administrative support to day-to-day operations of human resources ensuring the efficient delivery of salary payments, salary adjustments, recruitment processes, and the accuracy of employee data records. HR Assistant liaises closely with human resources department, finance and accounts department and other departments throughout the organization providing a customer focused and effective HR support service to the organization to achieve the organization goals and objectives.
Exciting and Interesting Industry
Administrative Sales Support (Current Employee) –  New Castle, DEFebruary 11, 2016
Typical day is never the same from one day to the next. I may work on sales programming at the start of the day, but by midday I could be prepping the large sales room for an upcoming supplier meeting/event. I assist a sales force 50 strong that is quickly growing with the addition of new key brands. I provide office support for a total of over 100 employees with whatever needs arise. I work with an incredible team of co-workers and supervisors who make each day a privilege to go to work. I get to interact with an interesting mix of suppliers and representatives from a vast array of companies.
Rewarding if you are willing to work hard
On Premise Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 8, 2016
Great company, fast paced and very rewarding if you are a goal driven person. The people here are fun to work with and management will provide the tools for you to succeed if you ask for help.
Productive environment
Ware House laborer (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLFebruary 5, 2016
Good place to work and but not much room for advancement. This job was very flexible with schedule. Over all the hardest thing in the beginning is getting things done by the deadline, but once you get the groove it is a piece of cake.
Pros
calm but productive work environment
Cons
short breaks and no room for advancement
Fun off premise sales/merchandiser job
Sales representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 3, 2016
Sell, order, and receive liquor and wine inventory for book of stores in area. request display and end cap space for extra in store maketing of products. Set up displays and continue to stock them as needed to keep integrity of display through term of display life.
Pros
salary with good hours and car allowance
Cons
can be large number of miles required to drive to store locations
Day to Day
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 26, 2016
My day to day will always bring my light to start my day, I love interacting with people, very well spoken and know how to treat others as well to make them feel good enough to allow me to assist them.
Pros
my pros is to always be positive
Cons
my cons is to always stay focus
High pressure job with bad management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Southern was challenging for a people person as myself. The manager and co-workers were too concerned with being perfect and not making mistakes. I did learn a great deal about different wines and spirits and the complexities of working in an extremely professional environment. Management is what you would expect in a large corporation as well as the co-workers. It was difficult to be a cog and not be friendly with customers. I did enjoy all the knowledge about wines and spirits.
Pros
Benefits and Union representation
Cons
Ineffective managers and poor worker relations with HR.
Disciplined and Organized
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2016
As a Human Resources coordinator, I had to multitask through actively participating in the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention, addressing employee matters and organizing work activities for a the company. Holding this position I was responsible for preparing and coordinating any functions pertaining to employment, compensation, labor negotiations and employee relations. As the Human Resources coordinator, I played an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to management. As well as conducted a substantial amount of research, analyzing and reporting in addition to all daily tasks.
enjoy my job
Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLJanuary 5, 2016
a willingness to see employees succeed in every area of their job description. words of encouragement are given on a regular basis
Direct Supervisor lacks employee training & management skills
administrative assistant / receptionist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 1, 2015
Direct supervisor was not supportive in a way that I needed her to be. Speaks so quickly w/o influction that speech is difficult to understand. Makes a lot of assumptions & wasn't particularly an effective listener or communicator. Not good at delegating responsibilities to other admin staff. Within a month of working for the company & receiving piece meal training you are expected to know what you're doing after being shown something once or twice. They use a bizillion computer programs for tracking sales and pulling reports. There's no written instruction to refer back to if you need assistance. I loved the work environment but gave notice because I grew tired & frustrated of dealing with an ineffective, presumptuous supervisor.
Pros
Free lunch available sometimes, Free liquor / wine, a friendly, positive, professional work environment
Cons
Poor communication & Training system in place
Best distributor network in the world.
District Manager of Spirits (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 19, 2015
A great company to work for if you are up to the challenges presented to you. Best advice I can offer is seize your opportunities to grow your business, and show who you are within the ranks.
Pros
The freedoms of outside sales calling on various territories.
Cons
Not a typical banker's work day.
Established and successful Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYNovember 13, 2015
I was temping here while someone was out on maternity leave. I enjoyed working with Southern Wine very much. Unfortunately there weren't any permanent positions available at the time or I would have stayed.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Temporary employment only
Provided a challenging and rewarding environment to work in.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVNovember 12, 2015
I worked with and worked for a great group of people who genuinely cared about their working associates. I always felt their was more to learn and always felt motivated to do the best job possible. I always felt appreciated and was made to know when I did a good job. Southern Wine and Spirits created a fun and rewarding environment to work in.
Pros
free access to events such as wine shows and concerts. Access to excellent health care.
Cons
being an off property employee sometimes created situations where I had to travel for meetings

Southern Wine & Spirits Reviews by Location