Southern Wine & Spirits Employee Reviews

Wild & Fun Marketing Gig
Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 3, 2015
This job was a 24 hour job. Depending no the season I would be up early for corporate meetings with my sales team going over products that were highlighted that week or month. I would then make my way to the warehouse and stocked up for my daily and weekly deliveries to numerous bars and restaurants. I would also ride along with each sales person and set up a monthly calendar of promotions for specific brands they wanted to push. I hired promotional models to make appearances at certain events as well as attended about 90% of them late at night so that I could oversee their progress and manage them as a whole.
Pros
i got to travel a lot and attend amazing events with great gifts and bonuses.
Cons
the hours were very taxing and you could get burned out.
This is not a typical sales position.
On-Premise Wine Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLAugust 14, 2012
More about account maintenance than actual sales.

750 miles per week on my personal vehicle with no compensation for gas or mileage.

The company may be a great company but the word I would use to review of the local management team would be ineffective.

Commission structure was in constant modification. It took me three months after a promotion to get the percentages the company paid on the products that I was selling.

Sales quotas are deliberately vague.

My first annual review after being up 15% in my territory was given by my manager, that while required to do so weekly, had never ridden with me.
Pros
i am at a loss here.
Cons
listed below . sorry to be so negative but it was the worst position i have ever had in sales.
A great entry-level job to get B-2-B experience.
Chain Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 19, 2013
You start your day as early as 6am and can finish as late as midnight on some days. It's mostly merchandising your displays in the supermarkets in your territory. A lot of physical exertion, not for the feint of heart. The base pay is very low, but you can make up for it with the incentives that the suppliers offer. Co-workers are your biggest competitors and a good manager can make or break you. Very hard to advance into broad market sales from this position. You would have to brown nose one of the branch managers for years before they give you a shot.
Pros
good b2b experience, suppliers offer incentives to motivate you to sell their brands, great products to represent.
Cons
a lot of physical work, little pay, long hours, .
Disciplined and Organized
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJanuary 12, 2016
As a Human Resources coordinator, I had to multitask through actively participating in the recruiting process, analyzing employee turnover and retention, addressing employee matters and organizing work activities for a the company. Holding this position I was responsible for preparing and coordinating any functions pertaining to employment, compensation, labor negotiations and employee relations. As the Human Resources coordinator, I played an active role in formulating methods to improve employment policies, processes and practices as well as recommending changes to management. As well as conducted a substantial amount of research, analyzing and reporting in addition to all daily tasks.
Fast paced merchandising
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  snohomish countyMarch 8, 2013
The day begins at 7:00 AM. I visit my first account and begin to service the store. The servicing includes building wine displays filling wine displays stocking shelves and helping customers find products and educating them about Southern Wine and Spirits' products. Typically I service about five stores in one day. On occasion I will get help from fellow Co-Workers or I will help them if my day permits. The hardest part of my job is the physical labor. Carrying 230+ cases of wine and alcohol a day takes a toll on the body. My personal favorite part of work is helping customers find a product and educating them on the specific product. This part of my work makes me feel helpful and needed.
Pros
learn about wine everyday
Cons
takes toll on the body
Good company overall. Needs to work on bottom of the totem pole management and training.
Chain Sales Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Calabasas to Palmdale, California.September 17, 2013
Good, friendly and hard working coworkers. Promotes mainly from within but a lack of positions to promote into. Going the extra mile and most extra effort is unrewarded or unnoticed. Sometimes even doing what is required of the job was "not good enough" even when anything else was not possible. Management was usually guiding with the idea of telling us what to do but not how to do it. Overall, The company is something I would recommend to someone, but not at the entry level position I was in.
Pros
promotes from within. good people. family owned company. great career potential.
Cons
lack of promotability. a lot of management hit the tip of the "peter principle"
Challenging and rewarding position
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLMay 24, 2012
Sales rep for SWS for over 4 years
Had over 80 accounts that I was responsible for
Writen over 100+ wine lists
Done countless wine tastings
Been the speaker at wine dinners
In charge of all ordering for each acct
In charge of all accounting for each acct

Was in charge of my own schedule, the harder I worked the better I did. I had to be extremely motivated and be a self starter which I definately am. I love a challenge love to compete and work together as a team to achieve goals. I also have very good leadership skills, a quick study and can be a great teacher with the correct knowledge.
Pros
schedule, challenge, competition, fun
Cons
8 different district mgrs, 4 different area mgrs, change routes
Great company to work for
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 19, 2015
I begin my day reading my emails so I can figure out the way I will be running my route I average about 19 stops on any given day. I drive to my first store make a list of product I will need from the back stock then check in with store receiver's I will fill the coolers and shelves with back stock, check with managers for any special instructions then check out with receiver. I repeat these steps for every location I walk into in a 10hr period.

I learned:
Time Management, Customer Service, Patience, Team Leadership, and Communication with my co-workers.

Hardest part of the job would be patience

The best thing about the job would have to be the relationships I build with customers and co-workers
A lot of independence and able to job without much direction
Sales Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAMay 12, 2015
I had a daily list of accounts that I was responsible to call on. I would work on merchandising the store, small resets, replenish displays, shelves and cold box. Discuss possible order, introduce new products and follow up on any money that was due. I really enjoyed helping my accounts become successful. The relationships I developed became more than just a business relationship. Many I have still kept in contact after retirement. The distribution of new products sometimes became tedious.
Pros
Independence and the ability to control how much salary I could make.
Cons
Management controlling prices and the ability to sell allocated items
Not as glamours as it sounds
Chain Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Temecula, CAJuly 7, 2014
High pressure sales job, extremely political. Non-traditional ways of promotions. Lots of driving and only offered flat rate for "vehicle allowance" regardless of miles traveled. Weekly meetings could be an hour drive from territory. No overtime, once a new VP was appointed basically told you had to get a laundry list of things done in 8 hours. Coming from a company that continuously broke sales and volume records year after year, just everything went to the egos.
Pros
great trips and prizes when they finally decided to be awarded, free wine and liquor
Cons
super early mornings, irregular shifts, tons of time on the road in your personal car...150, 000 miles in 3.5 years
LEarned a number amount of things and people
Legacy Marketing Partner (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 21, 2014
• Established and developed beneficial relationships with local venues, key influencers & clients (Pernod Ricard USA and distributor personnel Southern Wines and Spirits)
• Sold-in, planned and executed nightly bar promotions throughout the NY market in collaboration with PRUSA
• Researched and analyzed market’s promotional platform
• Sourced, hired, developed and trained local staff for managed bar night activity
• Received, monitored & distributed promotional inventory in support of scheduled events
• Tracked and maintained budget expenditures and inventory
Pros
self starting company
Cons
no benefits, part time work
Upper Management Needs to be Replaced in WA
Territory Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAMarch 6, 2015
Since the passage of I-1183 in Washington State, the company has been in a continual quandry of how to manage the brands it represents and drive growth and revenue. It continues to re-invent divisions, reduce sales and merchandising staff and force experienced higher salaried reps to leave the company. It seems to be very top heavy with upper management and continues to place a huge burden on the consultants with the amount of work required (sales, merchandising, and admin duties) with negligible pay. If you want a sales job with low compensation and plenty of merchandising than this is the job for you.
The pay scale,benefits,pension and job expectations of this company were fair and made hard work worthwhile.
Warehouse Worker/Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Machesney Park, ILAugust 21, 2015
Southern Wine and Spirits honored the successor clause of the five year Union contract that was in place after purchasing Paramount Distributing Co. During that period a large distribution center had been built in Chicago, Illinois and the operation was moved to the new facility. The distance of the commute and lack of assurance of a full- time position was the only reason to seek employment elsewhere.
Pros
Union payscale, benefits, pension and job security
Cons
Moving of the operation ending my career with Southern Wine and Spirits
Your job will be threatened if you don't work for free
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAOctober 27, 2014
From time to time you will be forced to work free overtime. You will be forced to work overtime which isn't all that bad but at the end of the week your supervisor will change your time card and falsify your signature because absolutely NO overtime is allowed. If you complain to your supervisor you will be told that there are thousands of people who want your job. The company has been sued multiple times for violating labor laws but their labor law offenses continue.
Pros
from time to time alcohol distributors might thank you with a free bottler of wine or spirit.
Cons
you will be forced to work for free.
High pressure job with bad management.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJanuary 23, 2016
Working at Southern was challenging for a people person as myself. The manager and co-workers were too concerned with being perfect and not making mistakes. I did learn a great deal about different wines and spirits and the complexities of working in an extremely professional environment. Management is what you would expect in a large corporation as well as the co-workers. It was difficult to be a cog and not be friendly with customers. I did enjoy all the knowledge about wines and spirits.
Pros
Benefits and Union representation
Cons
Ineffective managers and poor worker relations with HR.
Good Place to Work with High Job Satisfaction
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Bolingbrook, ILJune 20, 2013
A typical day at work included being on time for deliveries by taking the best route based on traffic, maintaining a manifest of deliveries with both paper and mobile devices, and collecting payments & return products from customers. The most enjoyable parts of the job were interacting with the customers and feeling a sense of accomplishment at the end of my work. I worked very well with my co-workers at the warehouse, but for the most part this was a 1-man per truck job. I never had any issues with management.
Pros
3 day weekends; 4-10 hour days;
Cons
working multiple 14 hour days in a row;
Productive not so fun to work for
Driver (Former Employee) –  Lakeland, FLOctober 28, 2012
Very dificult company to have room for advancement, unless your part of the "click". Cutbacks are done from the bottom of the prymid, so workers doing labor work had to work 2 to 3 persons jobs duties for the same amount of pay. If you're not part of management there are no perks. This location works on the "good ole boys" system and does not have room for women to advance into the operations management team. And beware, if you leave the company on bad terms, they WILL give BAD references and lie about it. Upper management if very capable of being untrustworthy.
benefits
Cons
based on the "good ole boys' system
Enjoyed my time at Southern & fellow workers and management
sales consultant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, Fl.July 15, 2015
Southern Wine & Spirits was a great company to work with. They let you run your territory as your own business (providing your percentages were in the +'s) They also provided constant training to keep up with the times, including computer and sales training. All employees were like family, we were always there to help one another. Management was great as long as you did your job and always showed their appreciation. The part i liked best was dealing directly with the customers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
a few to many meetings, i did not like being off the street to much
Top Performing District Manager at Southern Wine & Spirits
District Manager (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAMay 13, 2015
Southern Wine & Spirits is the leading distributor of beverage alcohol. By being a customer-focused organization, I’m able to address the needs and expectations of my team members and customers to help exceed monthly quotas. In doing so, I’m able to capitalize on the relationships I have developed to help deliver superior customer service while exceeding the goals set forth by the organization and the suppliers.
Pros
Selling an amazing product to the most amazing territory.
Cons
SWS is an exceptional company catering to an amazing industry.
Great work environment
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  LasVegas , NVSeptember 11, 2015
This was a very demanding job for some, but a very rewarding job in a fun and fast paced environment. The role of a Territory Manager for Southern Wine & Spirits of Nevada required a lot of time management skills, office/computer skills , sales skills and love for people,wine,spirits and beer. Besides the typical work hours there were may events to attend with suppliers,winemakers,distillers and brewers. The different teams in the building all worked closely with each other and even though each individual had their own territory, we all helped each other out.