Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits Employer Reviews

Typical Outside Sales Position
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), MDMarch 25, 2014
Pros: schedule flexibility
Cons: isolated, repetitive
Responsible for sales and distribution of wine and spirits in a given territory of 130+ accounts. Worked on and off premise including county controlled liquor stores. Spent most of the time in car driving from account to account.
Not the best place if you want to move up
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Miami, FLFebruary 25, 2014
Not the best company to work for. Some managers are unprofessional. You get over worked and over stressed. They don't care about your personal time or family time.
Great commraderie, enjoyable work enviorment.
n/a (Former Employee), n/aFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: work enviourment, very respected amongst customers, large market share
Cons: currently re-organizing and going through layoffs, slow to embrace mondern pratices and technology
Company was known for stability and job security, but is going through reorganization right now. I still really respect executive management and their intelligence and fairness. Downside was lack of training provided and some seemingly, un-accountable personnel. Positives were camaraderie. Their was a "family" aspect to the culture. However, with re-organization, – more... this is changing. Overall, a great company. If you can get in and stay in, the benefits and culture are great. – less
Not a job a lifestyle
Key Account Specialist (Former Employee), HIFebruary 6, 2014
Constant change in direction somewhat frustrating. Great training and resources to make you succesful.
It's okay
Data Analyst and Reports Developer (Former Employee), Miramar, FLJanuary 21, 2014
Pros: free coffee
Cons: paternal organization
Decent benefits. Average salary. It's an okay place if you are into an organization that's a little fuddy-duddy.
Great company
Business Intelligence Programmer (Current Employee), Miramar, FloridaJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: great people to work with.great lunch every now and then.
Cons: no vacation until going into 2nd year of full time employement
Great company to work for. Management is awesome. Medical Coverage is great.
General administrative duties
Administrative Clerk to Managing Director (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 20, 2014
Pros: free lunches at a variety of restaurants
Cons: short breaks
Assisted the head administrative assistant and back up to the president's assistant as needed for a beverage distributor.
Good Sales Job
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Bangor, MEJanuary 18, 2014
Fun sales job. Looking to advance to make or exceed my own personal financial goals.
Great place to work!!!
Picker/ Raise Lift-Operator - Seasonal (Former Employee), Union City, CAJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: the pay was great for seasonal work.
Cons: seasonal unless you can get on full-time.
A typical day: operated a cherry picker (Raise Lift) with a pick list monitor and drove to three different warehouses picking various wines & liquors at different locations. Scanned the location with an RF gun to confirm the pick & scanned the location to confirm the put away.
What I learned is you have to be comfortable of heights to do this kind of – more... work.
The management team was very patient during my learning progress. As long as I picked and put away my orders in a timely manner.
The hardest part of the job is that its a very fast pace environment and can take a toll on your body if your not use to lifting 20 to 30lbs repetitively.
My most enjoyable part of my job was working with my co-workers. I Made new friends and everyone was so helpful. Best job and experience I ever had. – less
Tough working environment, but it had it's perks
Graphics Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJanuary 16, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: don't get the appreciation you felt deserving of.
I worked 11 years with Southern Wine and Spirits. I learned a lot in a business that sells spirits to different territories. The responsibilities of the sales staff to get out and get the most orders and the management to make sure that sales are done to meet quotas.

I ran reports, monthly, bi-monthly and yearly. Help make arrangements for events with – more... customers and suppliers.

My last two years, I transfered to the Graphics department to get a little more experience. I helped the sales department to determined what was needed for their customers as far as menu design and or banners for events. Then all the jobs got an assigned number and cost out for what was needed. It was also my responsibilty to see if the Suppliers would help with the costs and most times they would take care of it.

Hardest part was when my ailing husband passed away and I couldn't focus on my job any longer and felt that I needed to get away.

The most enjoyable part were the events and seeing hard work paying off with satified customers and suppliers. – less
Key Account Management
Sake Specialist, Southern Wine and Spirits (Current Employee), Miami, FLJanuary 15, 2014
Key account management for the state. And training for all state sws personal.
very productive environment.
Business Intelligence Supervisor (Former Employee), Miramar, FLJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: very competitive benefits
Cons: must be a self started and ambitious to get ahead.
Well rounded IT services company. Both professional and fun people make it worth a career.
order selector
Order Selector (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 6, 2014
I pulled liquor from warehouse using a cherry picker and filled the singles racks for the shippers
Boys Club
Sales Consultant / Account Representative (Former Employee), IllinosJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: health ins
Cons: boys club they put woman into bars because of the way they look!!
If your in you could be there a long time and if you are not in the boys club and the first sign of gray hair .
Great Benefits
Customer Assistance (Current Employee), Syosset, NYDecember 25, 2013
Pros: benefits, job security
Cons: no advancement, dead end job
I've been with Southern for a while now and I must say that I have learned a lot throughout the years. Every day is very fast paced, and multi-tasking is a must!
The ability to move up if the desire to do so is presented.
Territory Manager (Former Employee), Reno, NVDecember 16, 2013
I started off as merchandiser and through years of dedicated service I was able to obtain one of the top territories in the nation.
productive, and comfortable workplace, a team who is willing to help and train others
Accounts Payable Analyst (Former Employee), Miramar, FLDecember 11, 2013
Pros: multi training, great oppurtunities to move up in the company, great team to work with, great benefits
Cons: bad new management
My typical day at work was to process daily invoices, a maximum number of 240 or more invoices a day. I also processed expense reports daily for employees as well. I worked in emails processing higher demand invoices, wires, check requests, and benefits check requests on Microsoft excel to be uploaded into the SAP software. I have learned more about – more... Microsoft excel over the years, which included GSLU uploads from other divisions via email, I have learned how to audit invoices for payments, wire payments and check cuts, also I have learned the importance of quality instead of quantity which leaded me to always prepost audit before paying the employees and vendors, and importantly I have learned to research issues that needed to be resolved to avoid errors or make error payment. Management was always good and there when we needed them however they never stayed for too long. We recently got a new management and he has been trying to make positive changes in the department in which I see the progression of these changes but he has not developed proper communication skills with his team which has caused me to resign. The hardest part of the job was the new management. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting my daily goals, which were processing high numbers of invoices, responding to other divisions and getting payments processed in a timely manner. – less
Fast paced
Order Puller/Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Columbia, SCDecember 9, 2013
Fast paced, multi-tasking. Great company to work for. Advancement opportunities.
Good people to work with
Account Manager/Sales Representative (Former Employee), Tampa, FloridaDecember 3, 2013
Pros: attending major events
Cons: long days
Must be on your game and good at what you do, with over 40,000 SKU's you must keep in tune with the industry. Education on wine and liquor. Management is educated in the business and products. Co-workers were friendly and sociable as well as easy to work with. Hardest part of the job is staying one step ahead of your competition. Learning about new – more... products and being educated on existing. – less
sws
Human Resources, recruiter (Former Employee), NYNovember 24, 2013
Unstable at the time. Needed solid management in place. Much better now a days

About Southern Wine & Spirits

Southern Wine & Spirits of America, fueled by alcohol,┬ádominates nationwide. The company is one of the┬álargest distributors of – Read more

Southern Wine & Spirits Photos