Southside Bank Employee Reviews

pretty good job
Imaging Clerk (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 6, 2017
I have enjoyed working for Southside. They pay well and its a good environment to work in. Although they are getting rid of internal employees and tend to give them a short notice.
Small town culture creates typical conflicts
Universal Banker (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 11, 2017
Excellent place to start your banking career. Customers love this bank because of its history and overall efforts in the community. Overtime it became clear that performance had little to do with career advancement.
Pros
Long time employees are very entrenched
Cons
Long time employees are very entrenched
Productive work place
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 20, 2017
Great place to work, nice people, learned skills that help today become a better work person. It, taught me how to budget my finance well. hired me young and taught me great skills.
Pros
Working with family
Cons
Not getting enough overtime
Different culture than in the past
Reg Sales Mgr for Mortgage Lending (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMay 2, 2017
When hired the culture was one of caring for employees as well as customers. Due to recent change in management the culture has changed as well. No longer the community Bank as before, but one that is interested in bottom line and not of care for employees or customers
Management (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXOctober 14, 2016
Great place to work. Management has high level of integrity, allowing employees to make decisions from top down. Family-like environment. Coworkers have become close friends. Very team-oriented.
Pros
Great employees, culture
productive place to work
Traditional Teller (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJuly 23, 2016
it is a great financial institution with really caring fellow employees. They really work with your schedule and provide great service
Great place to work with lots of chances to move up
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 22, 2016
This company really cares about its people and customers. You can move up in the company as long as you really want to.
Very productive and professional work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 27, 2016
Have worked for Southside Bank for almost 2 years and I have loved everyday, very fun and professional work space and the bank takes care very well of their employees.
Great company to work for
Senior Teller (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 14, 2016
Everyone is friendly and professional. They work well with school schedules and are flexible with part time hours. Provide in depth training.
Terrible place to work
Senior IT Business Systems Analyst, AVP (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXFebruary 2, 2016
Awful work environment. Nepotism is allowed to continue unchecked. Upper management's unqualified, clueless kids are allowed to advance over other senior team members. Management only rewards sycophants and 'yes' men. Employee ideas are stolen, and presented as their ideas. Got much worse with the Omni acquisition. Being reminded daily that your job was in jeopardy, and that there were counterparts to you in Fort Worth, created an extremely stressful work environment. The moral compass of the bank has steadily degenerated since Bill Hartley was unceremoniously dumped from the Board of Directors. Wouldn't recommend as a bank, or a workplace.
Pros
Reasonable salary
Cons
Stressful workplace, nepotism, upper management
Good solid company
Retail Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Bullard, TXNovember 22, 2015
Flexible schedule with decent benefits.
must be willing to work longer shifts that you are scheduled for
very demanding workplace due to constant customer interactions.
Fun place to work
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 25, 2015
I loved working here.
Got to meet all sorts of people.
Learned how to interact with others.
The hard part about this job was being able to do it full time while being a full time student in college.
I loved all of my co-workers.
What I learned
teller (Former Employee) –  east texasJuly 23, 2015
I was taught how to communicate with customers in need of information from their accounts, and how to be patient at my work in order to verify identification, before giving account information and how to efficiently provide services to customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
Great bank with great people with a solid and sucessful business backgrown
Creative Director (Former Employee) –  Tyler,TexasJuly 20, 2015
Great people to work for. Set up design department and Mac computer system and maintained it. Did all the design and photography for several projects over the years like billboards, ads, flyers, posters, credit cards P.O.S. materials, and their annual reports from 2005 to 2015.
While I was there Southside Bank was ranked # 1 in Texas and Ranked the fifth highest performing bank in the U.S. just under
5 billion.During the last couple of years I noticed things started to change. They wanted more control of the creative side of projects and went to outside sources more.
After our buy out of Omni Bank in Ft. Worth, things changed and as of June 5th, my position was eliminated.
Pros
Great People, and atmosphere
Good work environment and management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXJune 9, 2015
Good work environment, upper level management, and decent salary. Just as any other job it has pros and cons to working there.
Driven and Talented Management
Vice President (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXApril 12, 2015
Good benefits. Good hours depending on the position. Management that is willing to do what they need to succeed. Lots of opportunity to advance.
Management approval process is slow and cumbersome
Market President (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 24, 2015
Deals do not flow smoothly and authority resting in regional manager is abused so good deals do not process completely through and stop at his level. Gold plated deals only as bank has no risk tolerance at all.
Pros
Produce your own leads and contact
Cons
Management has tunnel vision - likes smaller deals.
Looking for a 1960's era bank to work for?
Lending Operations (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMarch 21, 2015
This is the place for you if you are looking for a bank stuck in it's prime in the 1960's. Bland branch decor, banking products with absolutely no competitive advantage, no real long term growth strategy. Not sure why this mini bank has not been acquired by a national bank yet. Massive layoffs with the acquisition of OmniAmerican, lethargic "good old boy" management (with a few females thrown in for good publicity), progressively worsening benefits. Not sure all of the positive reviews are real, i'm sure eight of ten of them are false. Maybe if they follow the latest trend in banking of giving away toasters with new accounts, it may match their paradigm of an era long gone and best forgotten.
Pros
location
Cons
management, long term viability, benefits, organizational culture
Bank with good values
Universal Banker II (Current Employee) –  Flower Mound, TXMarch 7, 2015
Provides a good work life balance and exceptional benefits. Management is pleasant and easy to work with. Always willing to send you to additional training if you show that you are interested. Systems are a bit slower than your big banks but there is a rumor that this will be changing soon.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
hard to advance because no one is leaving
Comfortable and supportive workplace
Senior Lending Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 24, 2015
As a Senior Consumer Lending officer I enjoy spending my workday reviewing loan applications and making decisions that are good for the customer as well as the bank. In the course of my day I talk to Relationship Bankers and customers about loan decisions, schedule closing appointments, collect necessary paperwork and assist in loan processing. In addition, I resolve customer complaints and explain our products and services. My co-coworkers are knowledgeable, helpful and have become friends. I have learned to look for solutions to problems that help customers with their lending needs. My manager excels at keeping her team motivated and informed about the goals of the department and the bank. The most difficult part of my job presently is that the focus has now shifted to Commercial and Mortgage lending.
Pros
Flexible, supportive
Cons
downsized