Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Usually a fun and rewarding experience
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  NumerousSeptember 19, 2016
My day could be fun. Other days could be very stressful. Issues that made my day very trying were bad weather, mechanical problems, air traffic control problems, passenger problems on inbound a/c, passenger problems on ground,etc. On the plus side when these issues arose I could always count on my co-workers from the various work groups to step up.
Pros
I liked how noone thought they were better than anyone else. A family.
Cons
High stress days when I had to deal with major problems where noone could help.
maimi,fl
Middleware Admin (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLSeptember 21, 2016
• Installed and Configured WebSphere Application Server 7.1 and IBM HTTP Server 7.1 on Red hat Linux&AIX.
• Created Clusters and instances in WebSphere Network Deployment to support high availability, fail over and implemented horizontal clustering
• Installed WAS for SIT & UAT environments on AWS(MidVision Cloud).
• Deployment and troubleshooting of JAR, WAR, and EAR files in clustered environment.
• Monitoring error logs, fixing problems
Ok comapny to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 30, 2016
Yes you do fly free but it's space available so you are really never guaranteed to get on the plane. Busy environment with some really bad calls. Be prepared to get yelled at and cursed at if a flight gets cancelled or delayed. Watch out for certain so called team leaders because the one I had was out to get some of her employees. She was not a real leader and does not provide support. I also felt discrimination against me by her because of my ethnic background. I would never work for Southwest again.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Racist team leader
I love talking on the phone and helping people make their vacation plans.
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 7, 2016
I loved working for Southwest Airlines. Those were the best 18 years of my life. I loved the people I worked with and the fun activities we did at work. Sometimes the work hours were long but we got compensated very well. I left at a time when my mother passed away and I could not cope at the time.
Pros
free flights, easy to work with schedule
Professional Place to work in
Senior Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 24, 2016
One of the most professional, organized and fun atmosphere to be in as a software tester.

It was an opportunity to work with a high level experienced managers, developers, tech leads and testers those added a lot to my experience.

Fun, Happy, Smooth is how i can shortly describe the project i was part of in Southwest Airlines.
Pros
free lunches, a lot of team activities, etc..
I enjoyed inbound calls very much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2016
The phone was my time clock. I was on inbound calls. The public was great and had no problems assisting them with there needs. If I needed assistance which was rear they were there for me. I learned that even when someone was upset it was not at me, but there situation that could not be helped. I would do what they needed and gave them the rules so they would not loose there money. All in all it would be a win win situation for them and Southwest. Always a team player and you will never find a better class of employees. The hardest part of the jobs was not to get your heat broken when the traveler can't go on the trip and crying in your ear ( Emergency's ) The enjoyable part is all the great people I could talk to and help.
Pros
employees and clients that I came in contact with
Cons
the hurt that comes through
The quality of the work environment has declined in the past few years
IT FIELD TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 7, 2016
The work/life balance has declined to the point where it does not exist. Also, management is rather poor and treats their employees like a commodity and not as people. It is not worth the headache of working for Southwest Airlines Technology at this time.
Pros
Non-Rev flying
Cons
no work/life balance
great company
Ground Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 3, 2016
Company needs to be more involved with the lowest level workers. Everyday we learn our new system operations. Many coworkers are lazy and are not willing to help others. The hardest part of the job is loading the freight and the poor attitudes.
Pros
job security, full benits, 401k match, profit sharing, free flights
Cons
peers, attitudes, management, pay
Awesome company culture and co-workers!
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 2, 2016
Being a flight attendant is perfect for someone with little or no "responsibilities" at home. A very difficult job to have a balanced home/work life if married with or without children. Can be very lonely if your crew is not outgoing.
Pros
Benefits far exceed compensation, flexible hours
Cons
Long days, work holidays and weekends
Fast-paced
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2016
Your typical work-day consists of working flight after flight each day, which takes a lot of energy. After working your flights you retire to a hotel in a different city each day.

I've learned how to manage in those cities alone, with limited options for meals and entertainment, therefore, getting accustomed to being alone will be a priority for you.

Management is always a phonecall away as well as co-workers being willing to share a meal or a cab with you. As long as you're on time for your assignments, you won't have any trouble from them.

Being able to travel to so many cities is enjoyable but at the same time extremely lonely. It can also become costly getting around town if you're stationed at an airport hotel with no transportation.

Overall, this job can be as exciting as you want it to be, but you may become homesick for family.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2016
It is a great company to work and only need good trainer during probation periods to new hire Most trainers are not at the stander of company.they just become trainer to gets SWA POINTS, they need professional training to trained the new hire and Southwest Airlines DALLAS have great training center with trainers and they warm welcome to new members.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
NEED EXPERIENCE TRAINERS TO TRAIN NEW HIRE
Excellent Company
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines has been an incredible career. Everyday is a new day. Filled with different challenges daily. TRying to help passengers who have been effected by delays and cancellations etc. Always keeping compassion first. I always place myself in the customers position and treat them the way I would want to be treated. Everyone has a story that we don't know.
fun company culture--difficult job
Customer Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2016
answering escalated phone calls from upset travelers was the hardest part of the job. by the time they got to me they were pretty upset at the situation. Although given tools to assist the day was very draining along with having to meet certain metrics on a daily basis. Co-Workers were great to work with. the company started to make changes to become a bigger player in the industry and the culture became less important than the numbers.
Pros
lots of parties, and events
Cons
became more of a numbers culture than a customer service culture
Southwest is Fun
Business Systems Analyst / Scrum Master (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 8, 2016
This is one of the best working environment I experienced. The work is well organized. Adopting to latest technologies very often. Management is very friendly. I was involve in several projects, and the teamwork was really important to make it a success.
Pros
Team work, Fun place to work
Change or die
CS and Operations (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 23, 2016
Working within an environment of to much workplace romance makes for a toxic environment in management wife's husband girlfriend boyfriends and partnerships is way to much for this outsider.
Cons
Management in the stations are very cliques, work place relationships makes for a toxic environment change or die
A company who takes it's people (and fun) very seriously.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2016
My time as a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines was filled with excitement and adventure. To be trusted with the safety and security of approximately 200 people gave me an enormous sense of pride. I knew that Southwest would not hire anyone who did not possess a combination of both exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain control of the entire cabin in the event of a life-threatening emergency. At Southwest, safety and customer care are of utmost importance because providing it's passengers the best of these is how the company became one of the most successful airlines in the industry. It is a company of people who understand the need for serious attitudes toward safety, yet also understand the inherent fun and adventure that traveling provides. I feel honored to have had the experience there.
Extremely high call volumn with customer service. I enjoyed helping customers with reservations traveling around the world.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Handled customers needs to travel and any customer complaints. One of the best companies to work for and loved my co-workers. Took early retirement when they closed the Dallas office.
Pros
benifits
Cons
closing of the Dallas Reservatins office
a fun spirited company that requires 110% dedication and hard workers♥
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines is the ultimate place to work. We worked hard and occasionally we'd play hard!!! Yes, this is a fun-loving, servants heart and warrior spirit place to work. This suited me very well. If you are fortunate enough to work at head-quarters in Dallas, there is a gourmet chef on 5th floor waiting to make your lunch just the way you need it. Many great perks. ♥♥♥♥
Pros
fly for free
Cons
worked holidays and weekends until you are there about 8-10 years
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 25, 2016
Although general sales was not my calling I do sometimes regret not staying with a company that cared so much about their employees. They provided all of their workers with a great benefit packag along with free air fare.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sales
Great Company
RAMP AGENT (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 26, 2016
A great company to work for, with lots of great benefits and room for advancement and travel. The hardest part of being a ramp agent is working in extreme weather and temperatures
Pros
Free Flights, great health insurence, profit sharing, garunteed yearly raises, union
Cons
Working in extream weather.

4.5