Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Amazing culture and overall great place to work
Customer Relations Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 25, 2017
In Customer Relations you would deal mainly with escalated customer situations via phone or email. This department is located at Southwest Airlines headquarters and speaks on behalf of the executive office. Management was very professional and took a personal interest in their employees. The workplace culture was amazing. The hardest part of the job was dealing with the challenging and sometimes difficult and unpleasant customers when trying to help resolve their problems. The most enjoyable part of the job was the coworkers. Southwest Airlines treats everyone in the office like family.
Pros
fun environment
Cons
micromanaged schedule
Superb company with great employees and a great future!
Captain (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 1, 2017
Outstanding company! I looked forward to working at Southwest Airlines everyday. Great coworkers, and management was superb as well. I found the workplace culture to be invigorating and uplifting. Southwest Airlines defines customer service and values and takes great care of it's employees. My most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside the finest people in the industry. I highly recommend Southwest to anyone wanting to work in the airline business.
Pros
401K, profit sharing, pay rates
Cons
healthcare has become more expensive
Excellent Company
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLFebruary 10, 2017
I always enjoyed my job at SW. I had fun and learned a lot. Many employees are dedicated to their core in the success of SW.

Management attitudes changed over my tenure with them. From a friendly business to one of just there for profits.

While the vast majority of employees are some of the best people I have ever known, there are those select few in positions of authority that work counter-productive to that success ethic.

SW is ultimately a superior company and anyone would love the time they spend working. It can be hard work, but its satisfying work too.
Pros
All most Everything
Cons
long days
Manager Trainee
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2017
My day is fill with communications with customers and business associates. I check with customers confirming reservations, make sure they are aware of rental process, goes over policies,etc. I speak with business partners to verify availability for their customers. I make sure all cars are rental ready, I go over numbers and things that affect and effect the bottom line of branch. My job is fast and being organized helps it run smoothly. I love the way we make sure customer comes first and satisfying them in all aspects.
Place has changed for the worse
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2017
Worked for the company ten years ago and it was the best place to work all around loved it. Had a family emergency out of state so i had to move and leave the job. Returned to new management and the company has went downhill and is catching momentum. Work moral all over the states is down and people are leaving like crazy. Sad to say such a good place went down hill under the new leadership.
Pros
benifits
Cons
moral
Most of the coworkers are decent people..
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 20, 2016
All these people say how wonderful Southwest Airlines is, have never worked out on the ramp. To Southwest you are a machine and you are treated like one too. How many times I've worked an 9 or 10 hour shift with no lunch brake so many times I've lost count. It's because Southwest is to cheap to put 3 or 4 agents at a gate. It makes me sick to think all the people at headquarters,just think everything is so wonderful, I'd like to see them get there butts out on the ramp for a week and see how absolutely messed up that it is, I guarantee they wouldn't think it's a wonderful. They have supervisors, that shouldn't even be allowed to work at the company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay sucks, poorly managed
Excellent company to work for
Customer Service / Crew Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 25, 2017
Retired from Southwest.

Excellent company to work for. Great management, workplace culture was excellent and co-workers were fun to work with--in fact, I am still friends with many of them.

The hardest part of the job was the responsibility of the position--but I enjoyed the job and took the responsibility seriously.
Pros
Other employees, culture, management
Cons
changing hours
Nice place to work
Security Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2017
Responsible for physical safety and security of mall customers, employees, and property. Responsible for creating and implementing security programs that fit the requirements of the mall environment with specific attention to various internal investigations. Supervised 40 officers and five lieutenants to ensure adherence to all laws, ordinances, and policies.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
N/A
The greates work experience of my life.
Aircraft Maintenance Technician/A&P Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 26, 2017
Fabulous culture to work in. I took early retirement because I was no longer physically able to perform at my peak. I seek a clerical or Administrative environment to contribute. I ham honored to have ever worked for Southwest Airlines. The most fabulous work environment I've ever experienced. Parties to celebrate the employees constantly.
Brief Interactions
Stratmar Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 8, 2017
I worked for StratMar promoting the Southwest Airlines credit card in Midway Airport. I enjoyed working in the airport. Although I did not work for Southwest Airlines directly, I interacted with a lot of people who did work for Southwest Airlines. I always looked forward to my short conversations with people from Southwest Airlines as they walked past my kiosk.
Great Culture
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 23, 2016
Worked as a Flight Attendant for 9.5 years. Amazing company. Great benefits, great pay. Trading schedules is easy. You have to be able to adapt very quickly in order to survive at any airline. You never really know what any day will throw your way. As Flight Attendant, you usually work with different people every week. This can be tough for some people as you don't always get along with who you are working with. Over all, the worst part of this company is how hard it is to get hired. Most people get their foot in the door with an entry level position on the ground until they have a year of service under their belt and can transfer over to another department.
Pros
FUN!
Cons
Company Culture has changed a bit in the past few years
A great company with a lot of love for their employees
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 8, 2016
Southwest is a great company to work for. They have a great culture of fun, and show a lot of support for their employees. The call center environment is a bit rough, but if you can get your foot in the door there, there are numerous opportunities for growth
Pros
Fun overall company culture
Cons
Oklahoma City Call Center leadership needs some work
Fun place to work, and get to know the real you.
Manager Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 7, 2017
Hard balance when you are married and have small children. Culture could have changed, but when I was working my way up the chain, I had to move like every 1-2 years and open new cities. They aren't very sympathetic to "I need to talk it over with my family". They are your family.....
Pros
Shorts to work, lots of alchohol
Cons
Lots of alchohol.....
Fun place to work, great culture
RAMP AGENT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2016
Fun company to work for with a great culture. The employees are your brothers and sisters. Challenging at times and very fast paced around the holidays.
Pros
pay, union, benefits
Cons
Work life balance, If they call you and physically speak to you over the phone on your day off, it is mandatory that you work. You will get a lot of mandatory time, If you were supposed to get off at 5, you will be there until 130 AM
Fun place to work
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2016
Great place to work, you work hard but the pay is great
Get to meet new people from different places
Get to work with different people
Work on different aircrafts
Travel to different places and enjoy different cities domestically and internationally
The hardest part is time changes on the body it makes for sleep deprivation
But if you want different and sometimes unpredictable this is a job for you
Flexibility in scheduling is great
Pros
Free air travel, pay and benefits
Cons
Can be a challenge health wise
overall good enviroment
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working at SWACU. it has it's issues like everywhere else but the benefits and perks outweigh most of the bad. Accountability among management and advancement opportunities were the only reasons I even left. If the managers had held their employees accountable or been held responsible for their employees I probably would still be there. Dress code and hours can't be beat. Overall atmosphere is wonderful, just those few bad apples that ruin the bunch.
An awesome place to be!
Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 23, 2016
After trying for several years I was offered a position with Southwest. The recruiting process is somewhat long and drawn out but well worth the time and wait in the end. The company has such a great culture where everyone truly cares about each other and the customers. You are rewarded for accomplishments and paid above the industry average for an entry level position. I should have been here 10 years ago but now that I am here I will be here until retirement.
Pros
Company culture, opportunity for advancement, Great co-workers
Cons
Everything seniority based so starting off at the bottom for all scheduling such as days off, hours worked, and vacation.
Fun place to work
Corporate Health and Wellness Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2016
Fun place to work but limited advancement opportunities. Great co-workers. Need better management skills, little time for training. There are fun activities to do but if the activities are done during the day, the work still needs to get done. Which means you are then working from home or overtime hours that do not count as overtime if you are a salary employee.
LUV this company!!
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  East Boston, MAOctober 5, 2016
This company has a fantastic Culture and CORE values. I have worked for many airlines that boast a "family" camaraderie however this airline walks it's talk !!! Training received and Management availability is second to none - Southwest is the best !
Pros
Management always available, room for advancement wonderful work environment, truly invests in it's employees
Cons
Starting pay is too low for a person with a family to support
Configuration Manager / Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 30, 2016
Culture above all !

and because of that, employees are always happy. Leadership is keen on cutting edge technology and trust employees to be creative (within reason of course).

I LOVED working here...too bad i had to go :(
Pros
Culture, leadership, environment...what is not to love ?
Cons
Growth potential fairly limited..

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5