Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

It was a party environment everyday. Lots of fun.
Customer Service and Support Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
Started everyday by reviewing the systems weather delays, upcoming promotions and your daily scheduled meetings.
Answered customer's phone calls regarding a variety of concerns.
Researched routes, fares, schedules, accounts, credits etc.
Attended recurrent training meetings.
Enjoyed volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House.
Did not enjoy informing customer's of delayed, rerouted or cancelled flights.
Pros
Company gatherings and events.
Cons
Unexpected long hours and manditory overtime.
Work hard and play hard
Inflight Payroll Auditor and Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
This is absolutely a great company; the benefits and perks are wonderful. The company provide stability and growth but you have to be open and willing take and explore opportunities. The department can be very strict and less forgiving but overall, while I was there I enjoyed it.
Pros
Overall a great company
Cons
That particular department was not easy to work in (management).
pay compensation is awesome, benefits are super
Provisioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work and make a career of. the benefit of flying free is awesome as well as the financial benefits. awesome perks and parties thrown by the company.
Pros
benefits, parties, perks, co-workers
Cons
sometimes very very long hours due to delays and weather.
Great Culture
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for SWA! Its definitely a fun loving company! Your co workers become your family. We have the tendency to spoil our passengers, however the company spoils its employees just the same. great perks company parties, company feeds the employees very often, free travel for employees, children and spouses. Overall Amazing company. best compensation of all the other airlines.
Pros
wonderful culture. work is fun
Cons
can be stressful at time, passengers arent always nice
Work Hard, Play Hard, Fly For Free
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2015
Wonderful management, awesome co-workers, and excellent benefits. Great place to work if you can stick it out through the first year or so, while you gain seniority and deal with mandatory overtime. Company encourages individuality, and there are many options for advancement. If you want to go to Inflight, it's encouraged to go internally, as interviews occur more often.
Pros
great benefits, profit sharing, free flying, wonderful people
Cons
mandatory overtime based on seniority, financially challenging to start, potential odd hours
Best company culture, awesome benefits, incredible and inspiring people!
Product Innovation Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Wouldn't trade my time at Southwest for the world! LUVed every second of it.

I was an intern and had the ability to work on projects with senior leaders from beginning to end. The work is fun and the work environment is unbeatable. The benefits of working here as an intern surpass any benefits I have ever seen at another company. The workload is fun, your coworkers are always eager to teach you something new, there are deck parties with music and free food every Monday and last but not least....free flights to anywhere in the country!!! The recruiters really care about your success in the position. They spend a lot of time determining where you would best fit, and they're always right! After my internship ended, my coworkers were eager to write positive recommendation letters and lots of people got hired! (unfortunately I had to return to school)
Pros
Free unlimited flights, awesome people, great culture, free food and fun events!
Cons
can only work from Dallas, other than that- NOTHING!
Good Job but the Lifestyle is Challenging
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2016
This job can be a lot of fun, but it will start to be a burden if your company and union does not support a good job/life balance. The work load gets heavier and more detailed, and having a reasonably normal life with your family is very hard. Even if you are a senior flight attendant, it is hard to have a balanced lifestyle.

The good part is you get to travel, see new places, and meet thousands of new people. You get to have fun on the job (within reason). If you are lucky, you can fly and work with some of the most loving and caring employees in the world.

Again, it can be a great job, but be certain you are ready for the sacrifices it entails.
Pros
Good Pay, Travel, Meeting new people
Cons
No good job/life balance, rude customers, more support from management
I enjoyed inbound calls very much
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 8, 2016
The phone was my time clock. I was on inbound calls. The public was great and had no problems assisting them with there needs. If I needed assistance which was rear they were there for me. I learned that even when someone was upset it was not at me, but there situation that could not be helped. I would do what they needed and gave them the rules so they would not loose there money. All in all it would be a win win situation for them and Southwest. Always a team player and you will never find a better class of employees. The hardest part of the jobs was not to get your heat broken when the traveler can't go on the trip and crying in your ear ( Emergency's ) The enjoyable part is all the great people I could talk to and help.
Pros
employees and clients that I came in contact with
Cons
the hurt that comes through
Great Work Place
Pilot/Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I came to SWA with aircraft 6 and retired 30 years later at age 60 with 535 A/C. I chose to come back to work at SWA after 6 years of play.
I love the job and am able to contribute 30 years of line experience to all pilots I train. Each day I come to work I always run into a pilot who was a F/O of mine at one time in his career.

I work 21 days/month. The airline is in such expansion that our work schedule can vary from 5:30 am check ins to 9:30 pm ones.
The CAE simulators are FFD with fabulous graphics. I am an AQP-V Evaluator so I give approximately 7 Maneuvers Observation rides per Month as part of the 3 day AQP events. I also teach new hires and Capt. upgrades.

I love the fact that I am currently up to date with Aircraft systems, ATC, LNAV/VNAV, Seat Currency, Security training, and International.
Pros
Ultra modern equipment and class rooms
Cons
Monthly schedules affecting my body clock
Fast-paced
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2016
Your typical work-day consists of working flight after flight each day, which takes a lot of energy. After working your flights you retire to a hotel in a different city each day.

I've learned how to manage in those cities alone, with limited options for meals and entertainment, therefore, getting accustomed to being alone will be a priority for you.

Management is always a phonecall away as well as co-workers being willing to share a meal or a cab with you. As long as you're on time for your assignments, you won't have any trouble from them.

Being able to travel to so many cities is enjoyable but at the same time extremely lonely. It can also become costly getting around town if you're stationed at an airport hotel with no transportation.

Overall, this job can be as exciting as you want it to be, but you may become homesick for family.
A company who takes it's people (and fun) very seriously.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2016
My time as a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines was filled with excitement and adventure. To be trusted with the safety and security of approximately 200 people gave me an enormous sense of pride. I knew that Southwest would not hire anyone who did not possess a combination of both exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain control of the entire cabin in the event of a life-threatening emergency. At Southwest, safety and customer care are of utmost importance because providing it's passengers the best of these is how the company became one of the most successful airlines in the industry. It is a company of people who understand the need for serious attitudes toward safety, yet also understand the inherent fun and adventure that traveling provides. I feel honored to have had the experience there.
Great Benefits
Ramp Agent - Practicing Safety First (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 28, 2015
Can make as many hours as wanted and flexible scheduling. great 401k can be a career. need a little work on management and communication but ramp agents stick together.
Monekia Dabney Southwest Airline Rep
Customer Service / Administrative Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 22, 2016
Providing excellent hospitality to our customers is our everyday goal. The mission is to first take care of one another and next fulfill our customers needs and wants. The toughest part of working for a major airlines is missing out on family events such as Christmas and Thanksgiving due air travel. But completing my day knowing I satisfied someone, keeps me smiling and empowered.
Benefits
Cons
Away from home
Our daily mission is to deliver Customer Service with a sense of warmth, friendliness and individual pride
Manager of Customer Service, Ground Operations (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work begins with arriving 30 mins early to greet my employees as they come in. I carefully review the flight schedule, customer loads and work assignments. I meet with the TSA to discuss staffing requirements. I ensure that all supervisors and employees are present. I monitor the work activity throughout the day, ensuring that safety, security and customer service polices are adhered to. We aim to deliver the highest quality customer service at the lowest possible expense, staying well within company budget guidelines. My fellow Managers and I collectively oversee and mange the various work areas within BWI. The most difficult (but very common!) part of my job is dealing with the unexpected, i.e. cancelled flights, weather delays, maintenance issues. The rewarding part of my job is turning a service failure into a service success!
Pros
postive colleagues, free flights!
Cons
long commute throught hectic traffic
Ok comapny to work for
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 30, 2016
Yes you do fly free but it's space available so you are really never guaranteed to get on the plane. Busy environment with some really bad calls. Be prepared to get yelled at and cursed at if a flight gets cancelled or delayed. Watch out for certain so called team leaders because the one I had was out to get some of her employees. She was not a real leader and does not provide support. I also felt discrimination against me by her because of my ethnic background. I would never work for Southwest again.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Racist team leader
best job and work place one could have
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  phx azOctober 27, 2015
work days are very flexible, learned transportation and security of airlines.
management was good
co workers are great
weather
being out side in the weather , flexibility.
Pros
benifits
Cons
company wont nagotiate or willing to give hard working ramp agents more money or raises, been out of contract over 4 yrs
Usually a fun and rewarding experience
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  NumerousSeptember 19, 2016
My day could be fun. Other days could be very stressful. Issues that made my day very trying were bad weather, mechanical problems, air traffic control problems, passenger problems on inbound a/c, passenger problems on ground,etc. On the plus side when these issues arose I could always count on my co-workers from the various work groups to step up.
Pros
I liked how noone thought they were better than anyone else. A family.
Cons
High stress days when I had to deal with major problems where noone could help.
Best Company to Work For
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2015
A caring, fun, great Company to work with. From the Top Management to the Agents, the experience was thoroughly enjoyable because of the quality of people who work for the Company. Always felt that I had the full support of Management and they were always there to help. The Agents were a joy to work with having a great friendly attitude.
Pros
Lifelong friends and flight benefits.
Cons
Weather problems.
Very busy, fast paced job. Great place to work, learn, and grow
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2015
Demanding, yet very rewarding. Very busy, and very structured, sometimes repetitive, but our customers were almost always pleasant and appreciate. My co-workers were my family, sometimes spending more time at work than an home during peak travel times. The most difficult part of the job was the sitting for 8-12 hours a day, which could be more exhausting than physical labor.
Pros
Flight benefits!
Cons
Long hours during busy travel periods.
php developer
PHP Word Press Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 22, 2016
its good to work with southwest airlines,i learned so much in this company,the management of this company also supporting me very well,and my co workers also gave me full support to work,their is no hardest part in this company,we are all enjoying very well and i have done my work also very well.thank you for southwest airlines to gave me such a wonderful opportunity.

4.5