Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Great job with great benefits
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 17, 2017
It was a good job I messed it up so that is on me. Other than that they provide everything you need and it is a union job so you get paid pretty well especially after your there a while, like 11 years lol
Pros
good company
Cons
losing the luv slowly but surely
IT Department has Drama
Core Network Engineer F5 SME (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 17, 2017
Southwest signed an IT outsourcing agreement which drove considerable drama. The people across their Business Units and IT departments were good to work with on a day to day, projects basis.
Pros
Variety of activities and plenty of hands on
Cons
IT outsourcing drama
Very productive place
Epass Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 16, 2017
To work for Southwest Airlines was a great adventure. My time was great and I met a lot of great people. And learn a great deal of knowledge. I will cherish each moment.
it was a great place to work
Reservation Representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 14, 2017
I enjoyed working with Southwest Airlines very much. I took early retirement in 2005 to go back to school (the grass is not greener on the other side) the company was ran very well, management was great, the benefits could not be beat.they gave employees and our families the ability to travel world wide. they matched out 4o1k 100%. we had profit sharing and the insurance was amazing. They also gave us 1 paid day off each month.
Pros
everything
Cons
Bidding on your shift
Productive and well trained
FLIGHT ATTENDANT (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 12, 2017
Worked for southwest 13 years as a flight attendant, excellent employee. Company has much room for advancement. Many cities abe to relocate. Union pay. Contract renewed every. 2 Years. Many different personalities to meet for lifetime friends. Productive and fun.
Pros
Flexability
Ground Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 11, 2017
Great company overall, but awful management and moral at a local level. Most of the time it feels like you are just a number to the company. Benefits are good, but the work is not. Very unfulfilling job.
Pros
Free flights
southwest awesome
Structure Repair Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2017
awesome airline to work for culture and work enviorment... good leadership and focus on safety and reliability. customer service #1 priority saftey of aircraft 1st priority
Fast paced
Ramp Agent / Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHAugust 10, 2017
You are out in the elements much of your shift. Bags are heavy and the hours can get long. Flying for free is very good perk to this job. Many good times.
Pros
Free flights
Cons
Working in the elements
Lay back job with a complacent enviroment
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CO 80249August 9, 2017
Job with great benefits but the environment has to many complacent people. People are cool but sometimes the environment can be really had on the Ramp Agents and getting paid too little for a long period of time.
productive work place
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Linthicum, MDAugust 9, 2017
•Greeted passengers, verified tickets and directed passengers to assigned seats.
•Addressed passengers concerns and delayed and canceled flights and resolved the issue through action.
•Explained the use of safety equipment and answered passengers questions.
•Relayed updates and information to passengers in a friendly and timely manner
Pros
They treat you as number 1
Cons
hours were rough
Loved my Job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAAugust 7, 2017
Southwest Airlines was one of the best company to work for. Everyday I love going to work... I have worked for Southwest Airlines for about 11 years and love every day of it.
Fun place to work! Sad I had to leave
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 6, 2017
This was one of the BEST place I have ever worked. Friendly people, a company that has a true passion for the not only the people they serve but also for its employees. Fair pay and flexible schedule.
Fun Job
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 5, 2017
Traveling was a plus. Management always changing. Not very compassionate about their employees. Didn't appreciate dedicated employees. Didn't pay attention to details.
Pros
travel
Cons
management was always changing
Great company
Customer Care Representative/Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 5, 2017
Excellent benefits, I'm retired and my wife and I fly free for the rest of our lives. Parents, too. Great work environment. Consistent raises. Fun atmosphere.
All and all Southwest was a good place to work regarding the social environment.
Database Developer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TxAugust 3, 2017
The application we supported was 15 years old and
therefor ownership became an issue. Being a contractor,
this left us with little authority to make contributions
and/or changes of our own.

Our managers were moved to another unit and the application
was eventually replaced by another team.

Communication between the teams was good regarding
projects and achievements. We had team meetings and demos every two weeks.
Pros
Happy hours every month. There was a good relationship between all the workers
Cons
This good relationship however did not translate into success to
Fun and exciting work place with amazing benefits
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 2, 2017
-Meeting and establishing a report with up to 1000 people in one day.
-Developing and creating the correct tone within the aircraft to maintain fun atmosphere, however maintaining a safe and regulation driven, fast paced environment.
-Not a micro managed place to work so maintaining work ethics as well as FAA rules and regulations is most important.

The absolute most favorable things about my career as a flight attendant was meeting new people, traveling to exciting places, and having fun in, most cases, quick flights while still upholding personal and company standards.
Pros
Free Flights, Medical Benefits, Discounts with various retail vendors
Cons
Get an attorney if ever injured on the job!, Workers comp and time management is an issue, even if the error are obvious on their end, If injured don't attempt to go back to work until FULLY healed.
Great Benefits
Customer Relations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 2, 2017
You have to do at least a year before being considered for other positions. This is difficult because the starting pay is low which also comes with a certain culture.

The benefits are great. I will try to stick it out and see if my educational background as well as my skill set will allow me to advance.
Pros
Free flight benefits
Cons
Minimal pay for the plethora of duties
n/a
Fleet Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 1, 2017
Just another job anyone is capable of doing as far as I am concerned. You just need to the time and the patience to do the job and eventually everything falls into place
Fun Company
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 31, 2017
This is a great company to work for overall. The benefits are amazing and the culture is unmatched. I mean who doesn't like free travel? The only downside is having to commute if you are not able to get into a base near you. I am from Atlanta, which is a senior base. I have been told it could be 10+ years before I can be based at home. If you are in areas like Orlando, Atlanta, or Phoenix, be prepared to move.
great place to work as union member
Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 28, 2017
New managers are too concerned with numbers and have basically destroyed the environment that Herb developed. Old school employees are not as appreciated as before and Station managers will do whatever is necessary to get their yes men in as sups and replace the more experience ones that will call them on bad decisions
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
Yes men in management positions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5