Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Work hard and play hard
Inflight Payroll Auditor and Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
This is absolutely a great company; the benefits and perks are wonderful. The company provide stability and growth but you have to be open and willing take and explore opportunities. The department can be very strict and less forgiving but overall, while I was there I enjoyed it.
Pros
Overall a great company
Cons
That particular department was not easy to work in (management).
Great Culture
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for SWA! Its definitely a fun loving company! Your co workers become your family. We have the tendency to spoil our passengers, however the company spoils its employees just the same. great perks company parties, company feeds the employees very often, free travel for employees, children and spouses. Overall Amazing company. best compensation of all the other airlines.
Pros
wonderful culture. work is fun
Cons
can be stressful at time, passengers arent always nice
Monekia Dabney Southwest Airline Rep
Customer Service / Administrative Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 22, 2016
Providing excellent hospitality to our customers is our everyday goal. The mission is to first take care of one another and next fulfill our customers needs and wants. The toughest part of working for a major airlines is missing out on family events such as Christmas and Thanksgiving due air travel. But completing my day knowing I satisfied someone, keeps me smiling and empowered.
Benefits
Cons
Away from home
Best company culture, awesome benefits, incredible and inspiring people!
Product Innovation Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Wouldn't trade my time at Southwest for the world! LUVed every second of it.

I was an intern and had the ability to work on projects with senior leaders from beginning to end. The work is fun and the work environment is unbeatable. The benefits of working here as an intern surpass any benefits I have ever seen at another company. The workload is fun, your coworkers are always eager to teach you something new, there are deck parties with music and free food every Monday and last but not least....free flights to anywhere in the country!!! The recruiters really care about your success in the position. They spend a lot of time determining where you would best fit, and they're always right! After my internship ended, my coworkers were eager to write positive recommendation letters and lots of people got hired! (unfortunately I had to return to school)
Pros
Free unlimited flights, awesome people, great culture, free food and fun events!
Cons
can only work from Dallas, other than that- NOTHING!
pay compensation is awesome, benefits are super
Provisioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work and make a career of. the benefit of flying free is awesome as well as the financial benefits. awesome perks and parties thrown by the company.
Pros
benefits, parties, perks, co-workers
Cons
sometimes very very long hours due to delays and weather.
Best Job Ever
Customer Service Agent, Gate Agent (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2016
If you want a test this is the job for you. Airport life is hectic but fun. Southwest knows how to have fun. Benefits include unlimited free flights for you and your parents as well as a companion or your significant other. Day at the ticket counter is greeting customers, tagging bags, printing boarding passes, and changing flights if need be. A day at the gate includes making gate announcements, tagging strollers, upgrading seat positions, and handling flight changes in case of a delay or cancellation. They also allow you to work as much as you want there is no set amount of hours you can work a hour.
Pros
Free Flights, Enviornment
Cons
None.
Work Hard, Play Hard, Fly For Free
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2015
Wonderful management, awesome co-workers, and excellent benefits. Great place to work if you can stick it out through the first year or so, while you gain seniority and deal with mandatory overtime. Company encourages individuality, and there are many options for advancement. If you want to go to Inflight, it's encouraged to go internally, as interviews occur more often.
Pros
great benefits, profit sharing, free flying, wonderful people
Cons
mandatory overtime based on seniority, financially challenging to start, potential odd hours
Best company ever!!!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 29, 2016
Southwest Airlines is by far the best company in the world to work for. Starting pay is not always the greatest but the longer you stay the better it gets. The benefits are beyond amazing compared to other companies.
Pros
Fun, travel and benedits
Very busy, fast paced job. Great place to work, learn, and grow
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2015
Demanding, yet very rewarding. Very busy, and very structured, sometimes repetitive, but our customers were almost always pleasant and appreciate. My co-workers were my family, sometimes spending more time at work than an home during peak travel times. The most difficult part of the job was the sitting for 8-12 hours a day, which could be more exhausting than physical labor.
Pros
Flight benefits!
Cons
Long hours during busy travel periods.
fun work place
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 3, 2016
Co workers are good people, I learned how to be able to work on a solid schedule one that doesn't shift. the work schedule is flexible, you can create your own work schedule but you have to jump thru hoops.
benefits
Cons
hard to use days off
Fun place to work, flexible hours, great benefits
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MDOctober 20, 2015
If you like to travel, this is it! Schedules are flexible once off reserve and the people make it a great place to be.
Start at about $20/hr, raises each year for 13 yrs, top pay is $56/hr with full time being about 22 hours/week. (you can pick or drop shifts with other employees with few limitations.)

As of today the crew bases are Oakland, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, and Orlando.

Many flight attendants commute to a base each week - that can get stressful after a while, but doable.
Best Company to Work For
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2015
A caring, fun, great Company to work with. From the Top Management to the Agents, the experience was thoroughly enjoyable because of the quality of people who work for the Company. Always felt that I had the full support of Management and they were always there to help. The Agents were a joy to work with having a great friendly attitude.
Pros
Lifelong friends and flight benefits.
Cons
Weather problems.
Great place to work.
Lead Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a family, it wasn't just a Job. I have come to know in 9 1/2 years at Southwest that this is a very unique people and place to work. Southwest as a company have really invested in their employees. It shows in everything they offer to each person that gains employment. Pay, benefits, incentives, parties.Expectations are above many because they really believe in order to be the best you must do the best. Working there was challenging at times but overall it was the best employer I worked for. They really live by the motto work hard,play hard. Southwest Airlines works by a set of values that guarantee success.
Pros
Everything!
It was a party environment everyday. Lots of fun.
Customer Service and Support Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
Started everyday by reviewing the systems weather delays, upcoming promotions and your daily scheduled meetings.
Answered customer's phone calls regarding a variety of concerns.
Researched routes, fares, schedules, accounts, credits etc.
Attended recurrent training meetings.
Enjoyed volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House.
Did not enjoy informing customer's of delayed, rerouted or cancelled flights.
Pros
Company gatherings and events.
Cons
Unexpected long hours and manditory overtime.
Great Benefits
Ramp Agent - Practicing Safety First (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 28, 2015
Can make as many hours as wanted and flexible scheduling. great 401k can be a career. need a little work on management and communication but ramp agents stick together.
Great place to work if on SWA. But if contract no so great.
Maintenance Technician Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 14, 2015
Every morning would come in at 5am and go through the emails and added them to a excel spreadsheet. Then walk all 5 bays and structures support up stairs. Pick up day trade and request off. You have 4 groups inspection, appear, structures, structures support. Management change while the contract was going.
My co-workers where every nice and welcome.
Hardest part of the job was having someone watch me 4 year old daughter on the weekends.
I enjoyed learning about the plains inside and out.
Pros
got to work 10 hour shifts and have 3 days off
Cons
no benefits, no vacation, no sick leave
productive and fun place to work
Customers Service Agent (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 1, 2015
Loved working for SOUTHWEST Airlines.
Southwest had so much to offer not only benefits but experience wise. Very busy environment and the most thing I loved about it was working over time. The company allowed every employee to work as much hours and pick up if needed as long you dont work too much your falling off your feet.
Work hard, play hard.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 30, 2015
For the short time that I was with Southwest I always enjoyed myself. Yes the work can be hectic especially during the holidays but overall it was a very enjoyable experience. The people were welcoming and every person that I've interacted since I started working there have nothing but kind to me.

A typical day at work is coming in and working maybe 6 flights for the day if we're lucky and there aren't any gate changes being made. I've gotten the chance to work with some characters who have not only made my work life easier but have also taught me much about my job. It's great because I left there knowing that I can call them my friends. Our managers and supervisors don't have the best time all the time with dealing with a lot of the changes that occur but they do the best with what they have and being a person of military background, that's all we can do most of the time.

The hardest part of the job for me was the distance and not being a part of my family's everyday lives. Even though I worked an hour and some change away from home I felt like I was losing that familial connection because most of my time was spent on the freeway going to work and coming back or just at the airport working.
Pros
meeting new people, travel, being employed, comradery, healthcare, flying benefits for the family
Cons
the distance to and from work
best job and work place one could have
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  phx azOctober 27, 2015
work days are very flexible, learned transportation and security of airlines.
management was good
co workers are great
weather
being out side in the weather , flexibility.
Pros
benifits
Cons
company wont nagotiate or willing to give hard working ramp agents more money or raises, been out of contract over 4 yrs
Amazing work place, great culture and customer service
Customer Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXAugust 26, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a wonderful company to work for. They care about everyone from the CEO to the wheelchair pushers. They were very involved with the community. I was fortunate enough to get to be a part of things such as the Ronald McDonald House, Kidd's Kids, Habitat for Humanity etc. I learned so much about Customer Service and how to keep them happy and coming back. Managers are great about mentoring and encouraging employees to promote within the Company. There was so much opportunity to be able to promote or learn about different jobs. I held so many hats while I was there and it was such a valuable experience for business and personal life. I do miss Southwest so much, but I needed to leave to be able to be with my family more often. My husband is military and between training and deployments I felt like it was important for me to be home on the weekends and nights with our children, that was not possible while working with Southwest. Shift work was the hardest part of the job.
Pros
Great benefits, ability to promote and grow
Cons
shift work

4.5