Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Free Flights
mhCustomer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2016
Great company got to fly all over the world for free. Great culture treated the employees very well and the pay and benefits were excellent.
Pros
Free Flights
Cons
Delayed flights
fun company culture--difficult job
Customer Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2016
answering escalated phone calls from upset travelers was the hardest part of the job. by the time they got to me they were pretty upset at the situation. Although given tools to assist the day was very draining along with having to meet certain metrics on a daily basis. Co-Workers were great to work with. the company started to make changes to become a bigger player in the industry and the culture became less important than the numbers.
Pros
lots of parties, and events
Cons
became more of a numbers culture than a customer service culture
Flexible and fun
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMay 16, 2016
Great flexibility in hours. Entrusted to work independently on assignments with limited supervision. Fun work environment. Gained experience in a typical office setting.
Best Experience ever
Learning Strategy and Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 11, 2016
I never expected a corporate environment to be as much fun and awesome as Southwest Airlines. Everyone there is extremely friendly and a pleasure to work with. The balance of work and fun was phenomenal and the flight benefits was a major bonus.
Pros
free flight benefits
Cons
no free lunches
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
Great company to join. Training program is very tight on the terminal with all eyes on deck. Get ready to work in all kinds of weather. Benefits are wonderful.
Family oriented work place.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 6, 2016
This place of employment was great, when I first started there. Afterwards, they became more corporation based and it was not as fun to work there.
Best company culture I've ever been exposed to!
Network Operations Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2016
My internship was one of the best experiences I've had during the time of my four-year undergraduate degree program. Southwest proved to me that they are the people I want to start and end my career with.
Great
Systems and Processes Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2016
This is a great Company to work at. Probably one of the best to be at and the people and the culture is just brilliant. I learned a lot here, and it's mostly about how to treat people at work and how to make everyone happy along with the technical skills,
Pros
Great Comapny
Cons
Superb CEO
Great Customers
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
South west was a Great Job to have if you love to Travel, and got a thing for planes. Great Place to start a career. Many people have been there for many years, and love to help, and share their experiences.
This is a great place to work for
Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAApril 28, 2016
The management and supervisors are great. Being on the ramp and next to the planes all day or night is the best part of the job. Seeing how the airline works from the time you check in to the time the plane leaves the gate is very interesting.
The truth
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXApril 26, 2016
SWA is a good company, with a great culture, but the culture is not as awesome as it once was. If you could be a fly on the wall in the break areas or even just listen to the conversation employees have with each other, sometimes while on duty, you'd understand what I'm saying.

Many of the co-workers, some of the managers and supervisors are wonderful people to work with, and SWA takes pride in hiring the best, friendliest and internal and external customer service oriented individuals... however, the world is comprised of good and bad people so this just isn't always the case. I've witnessed very, no extremely rude agents handling external customers and unbeknownst to them, internal customers, but because of seniority their job is not at stake so they are essential given a free pass to behave this way.

There are some good, honest, fair managers but some supervisors, who are often promoted from agent positions, are on a power trip and our six month probation period apparently makes it very easy for them to make the life of new agents very difficult. The managers have been ported verbally threatening new agents jobs to get them to do their bidding and if a new agent dares to speak up against any injustice, they are treated poorly, gossiped about between supervisors and agents, then only after being worked a bit more, sometimes ot or a double, they are let go. Supervisors and agents with a bit of seniority are basically allowed to do what they want and treat new agents and customers how ever they want. This, i hsve learned, is the case in many stations.

That all
  more... being said, I luv Southwest Airlines as it is presented and for the most part strives to be, I just think there needs to be some internal house cleaning, even if it just means specialized, reoccuring, training reminding employees how to treat others, after all at SWA, we follow the golden rule.

There are so many good things about and good people at SWA, but the number of the few "bad eggs on a power trip" is still too high in my opinion. I've seen employees let go for legitimate reasons, on the other hand I've witnessed good employees tossed out because only one or two (of the very many) managers, supervisors and or employees just didn't like them personally, even if they had good commendations from customers.

I would recommend working at SWA, it's an awesome opportunity and we like to hire individuals who stand out and shine but the unfortunate truth for some is that you have to either be in the good graces of the specific supervisors who let the power go to their head or keep your personality and shine down to a dull dim so you can pass probation.
Pros
flight benefits, holiday pay, good supervisors, good co-workers, youthful, fun luving, job security after probation, ot, off days, scheduling with seniority and granted arrangements
Cons
probation threats, pay, power trips, bad supervisors, bad co-workers, mandatory ot, scheduling without seniority
a fun spirited company that requires 110% dedication and hard workers♥
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines is the ultimate place to work. We worked hard and occasionally we'd play hard!!! Yes, this is a fun-loving, servants heart and warrior spirit place to work. This suited me very well. If you are fortunate enough to work at head-quarters in Dallas, there is a gourmet chef on 5th floor waiting to make your lunch just the way you need it. Many great perks. ♥♥♥♥
Pros
fly for free
Cons
worked holidays and weekends until you are there about 8-10 years
great flights
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 21, 2016
The job was very fast pace, and detailed job . pretty easy work. the co-works are very helpful and kind . thats the reason for the 4 stars above .
Pros
free buddy passes
Cons
small planes
great company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2016
you have the freedom to transfer to other cities, free travel, great company, benefits and company culture, can be fast paced, must like the public and must have an outgoing personality, also have to be ready to jump into any situation that may present itself
Pros
great culture, benefits, free travel
Cons
new company after retirement of Herb
Great employee culture
Cargo Agent (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 17, 2016
Great company and all about the employees.I learned more about human remain transport.My co-workers were awesome they worked and showed me everything I need to know.
Fun but alot of work
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEApril 14, 2016
This job has its ups and downs. The benefits and perks are the best I ever had. But the schedule changes daily and its hard trying to plan your life.
Pros
good pay, great benifits
Cons
Changing schedules, physical work
great job, management not so
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2016
You feel like in the beginning they want you to succeed but you soon find out that something like getting sick once can get you terminated it becomes a whole different company. Employee reviews become personal attacks that can get you fired. The actual job it's self is awesome, working with the customers is the best ever and the opportunity to see the world is second to none.
Cons
management
Best place to work
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXApril 8, 2016
Great work culture, environment. Fantastic learning experience. Have lots of care for Employees. SWA has 40 years of profitability and is ever growing with multiple project openings for Developers and Business Analysts.
Enjoyed every aspect of working for this company.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MS 39208April 5, 2016
This is a wonderful company to work for. Unfortunately, I was only able to work part time due to the small airport in my home of Jackson, MS at the time.
Work hard and play hard
Inflight Payroll Auditor and Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
This is absolutely a great company; the benefits and perks are wonderful. The company provide stability and growth but you have to be open and willing take and explore opportunities. The department can be very strict and less forgiving but overall, while I was there I enjoyed it.
Pros
Overall a great company
Cons
That particular department was not easy to work in (management).

4.5