Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent Company
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines has been an incredible career. Everyday is a new day. Filled with different challenges daily. TRying to help passengers who have been effected by delays and cancellations etc. Always keeping compassion first. I always place myself in the customers position and treat them the way I would want to be treated. Everyone has a story that we don't know.
Diversity
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 14, 2016
Overall a good company to work for. Great opportunity for advancement. Lots of change. Never a dull day. Annual and economic raises
Pros
Free flights, shift trades, flexibility, 401k
Cons
mandatory hours worked
Productive and fun
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
best job i have ever had hands down. I would make that life career. The job environment was really great. the staff and management made the job that much better.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2016
It is a great company to work and only need good trainer during probation periods to new hire Most trainers are not at the stander of company.they just become trainer to gets SWA POINTS, they need professional training to trained the new hire and Southwest Airlines DALLAS have great training center with trainers and they warm welcome to new members.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
NEED EXPERIENCE TRAINERS TO TRAIN NEW HIRE
Work here for lifestyle... not money. And start YOUNG!
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2016
Lots of people say they work at Southwest for the lifestyle... and they're absolutely right, because they're not in it for the money, at least not if they're a flight attendant.

And really, the lifestyle is only good if you don't mind being out of town for at least 3 days at a time. This job could be great for someone without advanced schooling, or someone who's single, a married empty-nester, or retired. However, this job does not reward for previous experience. Someone with lots of customer service experience is going to start at the bottom with someone fresh out of high-school, bottom pay, bottom schedule, bottom of everything.

Don't be fooled by the "per hour" pay mumbo jumbo, you're only paid when the aircraft door is closed (so you're not paid for that 2 hour delay from the raging storm outside), and you need to be at the airport an hour before the doors close when you leave for a trip. You're also scheduled to be out of town regularly (like, weekly) and you only get a couple of bucks an hour to cover expenses then.

Lots of people love this job because they love the flexibility of the lifestyle, and I'll definitely give them that. But if you're looking for money or want to be home in the evenings, don't give this job a second thought. It'll take 13 years to max out salary, and most college degrees could get you there quicker somewhere else, and get you home every night too. Not a great job for someone with kids, though many do it successfully. Job gets better and better with seniority though.
Pros
Travel Travel Travel! Flexible schedule
Cons
Out of town all the time, not paid for ground time, not paid for overnights, not great for someone with young kids
Extremely high call volumn with customer service. I enjoyed helping customers with reservations traveling around the world.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Handled customers needs to travel and any customer complaints. One of the best companies to work for and loved my co-workers. Took early retirement when they closed the Dallas office.
Pros
benifits
Cons
closing of the Dallas Reservatins office
Good
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2016
it is a good place to work with.it is a good place. located in pheonix, az. environment is very good. work is reasonable . management and calleage were very helpful.
Free Flights
mhCustomer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2016
Great company got to fly all over the world for free. Great culture treated the employees very well and the pay and benefits were excellent.
Pros
Free Flights
Cons
Delayed flights
fun company culture--difficult job
Customer Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2016
answering escalated phone calls from upset travelers was the hardest part of the job. by the time they got to me they were pretty upset at the situation. Although given tools to assist the day was very draining along with having to meet certain metrics on a daily basis. Co-Workers were great to work with. the company started to make changes to become a bigger player in the industry and the culture became less important than the numbers.
Pros
lots of parties, and events
Cons
became more of a numbers culture than a customer service culture
Flexible and fun
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CTMay 16, 2016
Great flexibility in hours. Entrusted to work independently on assignments with limited supervision. Fun work environment. Gained experience in a typical office setting.
Best Experience ever
Learning Strategy and Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 11, 2016
I never expected a corporate environment to be as much fun and awesome as Southwest Airlines. Everyone there is extremely friendly and a pleasure to work with. The balance of work and fun was phenomenal and the flight benefits was a major bonus.
Pros
free flight benefits
Cons
no free lunches
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
Great company to join. Training program is very tight on the terminal with all eyes on deck. Get ready to work in all kinds of weather. Benefits are wonderful.
Family oriented work place.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 6, 2016
This place of employment was great, when I first started there. Afterwards, they became more corporation based and it was not as fun to work there.
Best company culture I've ever been exposed to!
Network Operations Control Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 3, 2016
My internship was one of the best experiences I've had during the time of my four-year undergraduate degree program. Southwest proved to me that they are the people I want to start and end my career with.
Great
Systems and Processes Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 2, 2016
This is a great Company to work at. Probably one of the best to be at and the people and the culture is just brilliant. I learned a lot here, and it's mostly about how to treat people at work and how to make everyone happy along with the technical skills,
Pros
Great Comapny
Cons
Superb CEO
Great Customers
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 2, 2016
South west was a Great Job to have if you love to Travel, and got a thing for planes. Great Place to start a career. Many people have been there for many years, and love to help, and share their experiences.
This is a great place to work for
Ramp Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kenner, LAApril 28, 2016
The management and supervisors are great. Being on the ramp and next to the planes all day or night is the best part of the job. Seeing how the airline works from the time you check in to the time the plane leaves the gate is very interesting.
The truth
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Dallas-Fort Worth, TXApril 26, 2016
SWA is a good company, with a great culture, but the culture is not as awesome as it once was. If you could be a fly on the wall in the break areas or even just listen to the conversation employees have with each other, sometimes while on duty, you'd understand what I'm saying.

Many of the co-workers, some of the managers and supervisors are wonderful people to work with, and SWA takes pride in hiring the best, friendliest and internal and external customer service oriented individuals... however, the world is comprised of good and bad people so this just isn't always the case. I've witnessed very, no extremely rude agents handling external customers and unbeknownst to them, internal customers, but because of seniority their job is not at stake so they are essential given a free pass to behave this way.

There are some good, honest, fair managers but some supervisors, who are often promoted from agent positions, are on a power trip and our six month probation period apparently makes it very easy for them to make the life of new agents very difficult. The managers have been ported verbally threatening new agents jobs to get them to do their bidding and if a new agent dares to speak up against any injustice, they are treated poorly, gossiped about between supervisors and agents, then only after being worked a bit more, sometimes ot or a double, they are let go. Supervisors and agents with a bit of seniority are basically allowed to do what they want and treat new agents and customers how ever they want. This, i hsve learned, is the case in many stations.

That all
  more... being said, I luv Southwest Airlines as it is presented and for the most part strives to be, I just think there needs to be some internal house cleaning, even if it just means specialized, reoccuring, training reminding employees how to treat others, after all at SWA, we follow the golden rule.

There are so many good things about and good people at SWA, but the number of the few "bad eggs on a power trip" is still too high in my opinion. I've seen employees let go for legitimate reasons, on the other hand I've witnessed good employees tossed out because only one or two (of the very many) managers, supervisors and or employees just didn't like them personally, even if they had good commendations from customers.

I would recommend working at SWA, it's an awesome opportunity and we like to hire individuals who stand out and shine but the unfortunate truth for some is that you have to either be in the good graces of the specific supervisors who let the power go to their head or keep your personality and shine down to a dull dim so you can pass probation.
Pros
flight benefits, holiday pay, good supervisors, good co-workers, youthful, fun luving, job security after probation, ot, off days, scheduling with seniority and granted arrangements
Cons
probation threats, pay, power trips, bad supervisors, bad co-workers, mandatory ot, scheduling without seniority
a fun spirited company that requires 110% dedication and hard workers♥
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines is the ultimate place to work. We worked hard and occasionally we'd play hard!!! Yes, this is a fun-loving, servants heart and warrior spirit place to work. This suited me very well. If you are fortunate enough to work at head-quarters in Dallas, there is a gourmet chef on 5th floor waiting to make your lunch just the way you need it. Many great perks. ♥♥♥♥
Pros
fly for free
Cons
worked holidays and weekends until you are there about 8-10 years
great flights
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Akron, OHApril 21, 2016
The job was very fast pace, and detailed job . pretty easy work. the co-works are very helpful and kind . thats the reason for the 4 stars above .
Pros
free buddy passes
Cons
small planes

4.5