Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

It was a party environment everyday. Lots of fun.
Customer Service and Support Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
Started everyday by reviewing the systems weather delays, upcoming promotions and your daily scheduled meetings.
Answered customer's phone calls regarding a variety of concerns.
Researched routes, fares, schedules, accounts, credits etc.
Attended recurrent training meetings.
Enjoyed volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House.
Did not enjoy informing customer's of delayed, rerouted or cancelled flights.
Pros
Company gatherings and events.
Cons
Unexpected long hours and manditory overtime.
pay compensation is awesome, benefits are super
Provisioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMarch 14, 2016
Great place to work and make a career of. the benefit of flying free is awesome as well as the financial benefits. awesome perks and parties thrown by the company.
Pros
benefits, parties, perks, co-workers
Cons
sometimes very very long hours due to delays and weather.
Work hard and play hard
Inflight Payroll Auditor and Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
This is absolutely a great company; the benefits and perks are wonderful. The company provide stability and growth but you have to be open and willing take and explore opportunities. The department can be very strict and less forgiving but overall, while I was there I enjoyed it.
Pros
Overall a great company
Cons
That particular department was not easy to work in (management).
Work Hard, Play Hard, Fly For Free
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Denver, CODecember 6, 2015
Wonderful management, awesome co-workers, and excellent benefits. Great place to work if you can stick it out through the first year or so, while you gain seniority and deal with mandatory overtime. Company encourages individuality, and there are many options for advancement. If you want to go to Inflight, it's encouraged to go internally, as interviews occur more often.
Pros
great benefits, profit sharing, free flying, wonderful people
Cons
mandatory overtime based on seniority, financially challenging to start, potential odd hours
Great Culture
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for SWA! Its definitely a fun loving company! Your co workers become your family. We have the tendency to spoil our passengers, however the company spoils its employees just the same. great perks company parties, company feeds the employees very often, free travel for employees, children and spouses. Overall Amazing company. best compensation of all the other airlines.
Pros
wonderful culture. work is fun
Cons
can be stressful at time, passengers arent always nice
Best company culture, awesome benefits, incredible and inspiring people!
Product Innovation Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 11, 2016
Wouldn't trade my time at Southwest for the world! LUVed every second of it.

I was an intern and had the ability to work on projects with senior leaders from beginning to end. The work is fun and the work environment is unbeatable. The benefits of working here as an intern surpass any benefits I have ever seen at another company. The workload is fun, your coworkers are always eager to teach you something new, there are deck parties with music and free food every Monday and last but not least....free flights to anywhere in the country!!! The recruiters really care about your success in the position. They spend a lot of time determining where you would best fit, and they're always right! After my internship ended, my coworkers were eager to write positive recommendation letters and lots of people got hired! (unfortunately I had to return to school)
Pros
Free unlimited flights, awesome people, great culture, free food and fun events!
Cons
can only work from Dallas, other than that- NOTHING!
Good Job but the Lifestyle is Challenging
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2016
This job can be a lot of fun, but it will start to be a burden if your company and union does not support a good job/life balance. The work load gets heavier and more detailed, and having a reasonably normal life with your family is very hard. Even if you are a senior flight attendant, it is hard to have a balanced lifestyle.

The good part is you get to travel, see new places, and meet thousands of new people. You get to have fun on the job (within reason). If you are lucky, you can fly and work with some of the most loving and caring employees in the world.

Again, it can be a great job, but be certain you are ready for the sacrifices it entails.
Pros
Good Pay, Travel, Meeting new people
Cons
No good job/life balance, rude customers, more support from management
Great Benefits
Ramp Agent - Practicing Safety First (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VADecember 28, 2015
Can make as many hours as wanted and flexible scheduling. great 401k can be a career. need a little work on management and communication but ramp agents stick together.
Great Work Place
Pilot/Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I came to SWA with aircraft 6 and retired 30 years later at age 60 with 535 A/C. I chose to come back to work at SWA after 6 years of play.
I love the job and am able to contribute 30 years of line experience to all pilots I train. Each day I come to work I always run into a pilot who was a F/O of mine at one time in his career.

I work 21 days/month. The airline is in such expansion that our work schedule can vary from 5:30 am check ins to 9:30 pm ones.
The CAE simulators are FFD with fabulous graphics. I am an AQP-V Evaluator so I give approximately 7 Maneuvers Observation rides per Month as part of the 3 day AQP events. I also teach new hires and Capt. upgrades.

I love the fact that I am currently up to date with Aircraft systems, ATC, LNAV/VNAV, Seat Currency, Security training, and International.
Pros
Ultra modern equipment and class rooms
Cons
Monthly schedules affecting my body clock
best job and work place one could have
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  phx azOctober 27, 2015
work days are very flexible, learned transportation and security of airlines.
management was good
co workers are great
weather
being out side in the weather , flexibility.
Pros
benifits
Cons
company wont nagotiate or willing to give hard working ramp agents more money or raises, been out of contract over 4 yrs
Monekia Dabney Southwest Airline Rep
Customer Service / Administrative Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 22, 2016
Providing excellent hospitality to our customers is our everyday goal. The mission is to first take care of one another and next fulfill our customers needs and wants. The toughest part of working for a major airlines is missing out on family events such as Christmas and Thanksgiving due air travel. But completing my day knowing I satisfied someone, keeps me smiling and empowered.
Benefits
Cons
Away from home
Best Company to Work For
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 23, 2015
A caring, fun, great Company to work with. From the Top Management to the Agents, the experience was thoroughly enjoyable because of the quality of people who work for the Company. Always felt that I had the full support of Management and they were always there to help. The Agents were a joy to work with having a great friendly attitude.
Pros
Lifelong friends and flight benefits.
Cons
Weather problems.
Very busy, fast paced job. Great place to work, learn, and grow
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKNovember 5, 2015
Demanding, yet very rewarding. Very busy, and very structured, sometimes repetitive, but our customers were almost always pleasant and appreciate. My co-workers were my family, sometimes spending more time at work than an home during peak travel times. The most difficult part of the job was the sitting for 8-12 hours a day, which could be more exhausting than physical labor.
Pros
Flight benefits!
Cons
Long hours during busy travel periods.
Fun place to work, flexible hours, great benefits
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore MDOctober 20, 2015
If you like to travel, this is it! Schedules are flexible once off reserve and the people make it a great place to be.
Start at about $20/hr, raises each year for 13 yrs, top pay is $56/hr with full time being about 22 hours/week. (you can pick or drop shifts with other employees with few limitations.)

As of today the crew bases are Oakland, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, Baltimore, and Orlando.

Many flight attendants commute to a base each week - that can get stressful after a while, but doable.
Best Job Ever
Customer Service Agent, Gate Agent (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2016
If you want a test this is the job for you. Airport life is hectic but fun. Southwest knows how to have fun. Benefits include unlimited free flights for you and your parents as well as a companion or your significant other. Day at the ticket counter is greeting customers, tagging bags, printing boarding passes, and changing flights if need be. A day at the gate includes making gate announcements, tagging strollers, upgrading seat positions, and handling flight changes in case of a delay or cancellation. They also allow you to work as much as you want there is no set amount of hours you can work a hour.
Pros
Free Flights, Enviornment
Cons
None.
Great place to work.
Lead Material Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 21, 2015
Southwest Airlines is a family, it wasn't just a Job. I have come to know in 9 1/2 years at Southwest that this is a very unique people and place to work. Southwest as a company have really invested in their employees. It shows in everything they offer to each person that gains employment. Pay, benefits, incentives, parties.Expectations are above many because they really believe in order to be the best you must do the best. Working there was challenging at times but overall it was the best employer I worked for. They really live by the motto work hard,play hard. Southwest Airlines works by a set of values that guarantee success.
Pros
Everything!
Fast-paced
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2016
Your typical work-day consists of working flight after flight each day, which takes a lot of energy. After working your flights you retire to a hotel in a different city each day.

I've learned how to manage in those cities alone, with limited options for meals and entertainment, therefore, getting accustomed to being alone will be a priority for you.

Management is always a phonecall away as well as co-workers being willing to share a meal or a cab with you. As long as you're on time for your assignments, you won't have any trouble from them.

Being able to travel to so many cities is enjoyable but at the same time extremely lonely. It can also become costly getting around town if you're stationed at an airport hotel with no transportation.

Overall, this job can be as exciting as you want it to be, but you may become homesick for family.
Good Company
internship (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 1, 2015
Great work culture. A cooperative team. Good Travel perks. Ability to grow.
The Engineering team is very competitive and gives a good background in early career to grow. The work culture is very engaging.
Pros
Work Culture
Cons
Pay is little less but Travel Perks may cover them
A company who takes it's people (and fun) very seriously.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2016
My time as a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines was filled with excitement and adventure. To be trusted with the safety and security of approximately 200 people gave me an enormous sense of pride. I knew that Southwest would not hire anyone who did not possess a combination of both exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain control of the entire cabin in the event of a life-threatening emergency. At Southwest, safety and customer care are of utmost importance because providing it's passengers the best of these is how the company became one of the most successful airlines in the industry. It is a company of people who understand the need for serious attitudes toward safety, yet also understand the inherent fun and adventure that traveling provides. I feel honored to have had the experience there.
Great place to work if on SWA. But if contract no so great.
Maintenance Technician Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXSeptember 14, 2015
Every morning would come in at 5am and go through the emails and added them to a excel spreadsheet. Then walk all 5 bays and structures support up stairs. Pick up day trade and request off. You have 4 groups inspection, appear, structures, structures support. Management change while the contract was going.
My co-workers where every nice and welcome.
Hardest part of the job was having someone watch me 4 year old daughter on the weekends.
I enjoyed learning about the plains inside and out.
Pros
got to work 10 hour shifts and have 3 days off
Cons
no benefits, no vacation, no sick leave

4.5