Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

fun company culture--difficult job
Customer Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2016
answering escalated phone calls from upset travelers was the hardest part of the job. by the time they got to me they were pretty upset at the situation. Although given tools to assist the day was very draining along with having to meet certain metrics on a daily basis. Co-Workers were great to work with. the company started to make changes to become a bigger player in the industry and the culture became less important than the numbers.
Pros
lots of parties, and events
Cons
became more of a numbers culture than a customer service culture
a fun spirited company that requires 110% dedication and hard workers♥
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines is the ultimate place to work. We worked hard and occasionally we'd play hard!!! Yes, this is a fun-loving, servants heart and warrior spirit place to work. This suited me very well. If you are fortunate enough to work at head-quarters in Dallas, there is a gourmet chef on 5th floor waiting to make your lunch just the way you need it. Many great perks. ♥♥♥♥
Pros
fly for free
Cons
worked holidays and weekends until you are there about 8-10 years
It was a party environment everyday. Lots of fun.
Customer Service and Support Agent (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 3, 2016
Started everyday by reviewing the systems weather delays, upcoming promotions and your daily scheduled meetings.
Answered customer's phone calls regarding a variety of concerns.
Researched routes, fares, schedules, accounts, credits etc.
Attended recurrent training meetings.
Enjoyed volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House.
Did not enjoy informing customer's of delayed, rerouted or cancelled flights.
Pros
Company gatherings and events.
Cons
Unexpected long hours and manditory overtime.
Monekia Dabney Southwest Airline Rep
Customer Service / Administrative Representative (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 22, 2016
Providing excellent hospitality to our customers is our everyday goal. The mission is to first take care of one another and next fulfill our customers needs and wants. The toughest part of working for a major airlines is missing out on family events such as Christmas and Thanksgiving due air travel. But completing my day knowing I satisfied someone, keeps me smiling and empowered.
Benefits
Cons
Away from home
Work hard and play hard
Inflight Payroll Auditor and Leave Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 5, 2016
This is absolutely a great company; the benefits and perks are wonderful. The company provide stability and growth but you have to be open and willing take and explore opportunities. The department can be very strict and less forgiving but overall, while I was there I enjoyed it.
Pros
Overall a great company
Cons
That particular department was not easy to work in (management).
great job, management not so
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXApril 9, 2016
You feel like in the beginning they want you to succeed but you soon find out that something like getting sick once can get you terminated it becomes a whole different company. Employee reviews become personal attacks that can get you fired. The actual job it's self is awesome, working with the customers is the best ever and the opportunity to see the world is second to none.
Cons
management
Great Culture
Customer Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 7, 2016
I enjoyed working for SWA! Its definitely a fun loving company! Your co workers become your family. We have the tendency to spoil our passengers, however the company spoils its employees just the same. great perks company parties, company feeds the employees very often, free travel for employees, children and spouses. Overall Amazing company. best compensation of all the other airlines.
Pros
wonderful culture. work is fun
Cons
can be stressful at time, passengers arent always nice
Extremely high call volumn with customer service. I enjoyed helping customers with reservations traveling around the world.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Handled customers needs to travel and any customer complaints. One of the best companies to work for and loved my co-workers. Took early retirement when they closed the Dallas office.
Pros
benifits
Cons
closing of the Dallas Reservatins office
i love the airline indusrty
CUSTER SERVICE AGENT (Current Employee) –  LondonMarch 11, 2016
I am a people person , I like being out in public and helping people. I am great at customer service and communicating with people. handle I stress situations with ease. Have had cpr training and / first aid . enjoy working with the public and get along well with others.
Pros
i never give up .. i am always detremed to get th job done what it may be
Cons
i sometmes try to hard to be the best i can be.
php developer
PHP Word Press Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 22, 2016
its good to work with southwest airlines,i learned so much in this company,the management of this company also supporting me very well,and my co workers also gave me full support to work,their is no hardest part in this company,we are all enjoying very well and i have done my work also very well.thank you for southwest airlines to gave me such a wonderful opportunity.
great company
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 20, 2016
you have the freedom to transfer to other cities, free travel, great company, benefits and company culture, can be fast paced, must like the public and must have an outgoing personality, also have to be ready to jump into any situation that may present itself
Pros
great culture, benefits, free travel
Cons
new company after retirement of Herb
The most rewarding job.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 28, 2016
-This is a company that has really figured it out.
-There moto is put your employees first and they will always put your customers first.
-Be willing to put your time in due to everything is done by seniority but when you get it this is a very fun job.
Pros
Everything is done by seniority
Cons
Sometimes it takes a couple of years to get good seniority.
Good Job but the Lifestyle is Challenging
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 3, 2016
This job can be a lot of fun, but it will start to be a burden if your company and union does not support a good job/life balance. The work load gets heavier and more detailed, and having a reasonably normal life with your family is very hard. Even if you are a senior flight attendant, it is hard to have a balanced lifestyle.

The good part is you get to travel, see new places, and meet thousands of new people. You get to have fun on the job (within reason). If you are lucky, you can fly and work with some of the most loving and caring employees in the world.

Again, it can be a great job, but be certain you are ready for the sacrifices it entails.
Pros
Good Pay, Travel, Meeting new people
Cons
No good job/life balance, rude customers, more support from management
Best Experience ever
Learning Strategy and Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 11, 2016
I never expected a corporate environment to be as much fun and awesome as Southwest Airlines. Everyone there is extremely friendly and a pleasure to work with. The balance of work and fun was phenomenal and the flight benefits was a major bonus.
Pros
free flight benefits
Cons
no free lunches
Best Job Ever
Customer Service Agent, Gate Agent (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 8, 2016
If you want a test this is the job for you. Airport life is hectic but fun. Southwest knows how to have fun. Benefits include unlimited free flights for you and your parents as well as a companion or your significant other. Day at the ticket counter is greeting customers, tagging bags, printing boarding passes, and changing flights if need be. A day at the gate includes making gate announcements, tagging strollers, upgrading seat positions, and handling flight changes in case of a delay or cancellation. They also allow you to work as much as you want there is no set amount of hours you can work a hour.
Pros
Free Flights, Enviornment
Cons
None.
Booking a breavement flight
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJanuary 14, 2016
I received a escalated call from a representative. The customer booked flights for her family of 5 to go to Disney. Unfortunately 2 months before the family trip there was a horrible car accident and 2 of the family members passed. The caller wanted to cancel the tickets and use the funds to get other family members to town ASAP. In this case the tickets were nonrefundable and nontransferable. In circumstances where a passenger can’t travel the caller is instructed to call Customer Relations to see if an exception can be made. However, it was the weekend and Customer Relations would not reopen until Monday. As a supervisor I was able to apply the credit from her family’s trip to the new tickets.
Pros
Being able to assist customers
Cons
Not being able to help everyone
Very fun a fast pace work place
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 31, 2015
It was a great working environment, loved working outdoors and everyone worked together as a team to get all the flights and bags out safely. Hardest part about the job was making sure you dont brake anything, however the most enjoyable was pushing out the planes and being a bag runner. I learned to be mindful of your surrounding at all times and that being on time is everything. Management always wanted you to succeed no matter if you're having a bad day or not
Pros
free travel
Great Work Place
Pilot/Flight Instructor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I came to SWA with aircraft 6 and retired 30 years later at age 60 with 535 A/C. I chose to come back to work at SWA after 6 years of play.
I love the job and am able to contribute 30 years of line experience to all pilots I train. Each day I come to work I always run into a pilot who was a F/O of mine at one time in his career.

I work 21 days/month. The airline is in such expansion that our work schedule can vary from 5:30 am check ins to 9:30 pm ones.
The CAE simulators are FFD with fabulous graphics. I am an AQP-V Evaluator so I give approximately 7 Maneuvers Observation rides per Month as part of the 3 day AQP events. I also teach new hires and Capt. upgrades.

I love the fact that I am currently up to date with Aircraft systems, ATC, LNAV/VNAV, Seat Currency, Security training, and International.
Pros
Ultra modern equipment and class rooms
Cons
Monthly schedules affecting my body clock
One of the best companies to work for.
Inflight - Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2016
Ability to remain flexible to constant schedule changes. Available all hours of the day, weekends, holidays. Always working with different coworkers. Loved traveling and constantly meeting new people.
Most difficult part of the job was commuting to and from work as I did not live in a base. Also scheduling issues with family.
fun work environment
Provisioning Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 20, 2016
employees were empowered to help customers in a fun way, luv culture helped.
was able to promote and move to different departments after a year, made things interesting.
Pros
a lot of milestone type of celebrations, parties and free shirts, etc.
Cons
low pay, just a little above minimum wage.

4.5