Southwest Airlines

Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Good company. Fun place to work
Ground Operations Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 27, 2015
Pros: Overtime when needed
Cons: working outdoors in all types of weather
I worked here for 3 years and I can't say anything bad about this company. They have a very relaxed culture, but if you don't do your job as expected, you will be informed that more is expected from you.
This company goes the extra mile when it comes to keeping an high employee morale.
Great company to be with
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVAugust 27, 2015
Southwest Airlines is by far the best company that i have ever worked for. From the employees to the management even to the job criteria. Hardest part was i was a ramp agent and of course working in extreme weather like heat to rain storms is always a challenge but the team was always there to help.
Nice Days
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Oakland, CaAugust 26, 2015
great company to work for, great work environment. benefits good, take care of employees.

even get to fly free

discounts on other airlines
Amazing work place, great culture and customer service
Customer Supervisor (Former Employee), Midland, TXAugust 26, 2015
Pros: Great benefits, ability to promote and grow
Cons: shift work
Southwest Airlines is a wonderful company to work for. They care about everyone from the CEO to the wheelchair pushers. They were very involved with the community. I was fortunate enough to get to be a part of things such as the Ronald McDonald House, Kidd's Kids, Habitat for Humanity etc. I learned so much about Customer Service and how to keep them happy and coming back. Managers are great about mentoring and encouraging employees to promote within the Company. There was so much opportunity to be able to promote or learn about different jobs. I held so many hats while I was there and it was such a valuable experience for business and personal life. I do miss Southwest so much, but I needed to leave to be able to be with my family more often. My husband is military and between training and deployments I felt like it was important for me to be home on the weekends and nights with our children, that was not possible while working with Southwest. Shift work was the hardest part of the job.
Contractor at Southwest Airlines
Development Director (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 23, 2015
Pros: work life balance is good
Cons: Unorganized at the management level
Job and culture are above average. I'm in a contract management position and have the opportunity to work with management to deliver their Lonestar or OneRes Program.
Very good
Java/J2EE Developer (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 23, 2015
Southwest airlines is great company to work with. Great Culture and great management. I had great fun working with Southwest airlines.
just dont, get injured on the job....they are good, until your no use anymore
Greeting and assisting customers in a prompt (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2015
they talk a lot of love,but there is no love, once you are injured on the job, they will phase you out.there benefits are ok, pay is good, but no loyalty to the employees.
Beware of upper management and mandatory overtime demands
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOAugust 20, 2015
Pros: Working with airplanes, fast-paced environment; working on your feet
Cons: Required to work on scheduled off days; upper management has no sympathy for employees.
Colleagues and industry were fun to work with. There are mid-level supervisors who were a joy to work with. But upper management will work new-hires till the point that it seems --exploitative, unethical and questionably legal. Burnt-out employees leave a revolving door for the station at STL to constantly hire; so staffing demands are never met and employees are meant to take over those shifts. This is an honest review by an honest employee, and I regret to even say this, but this is what occurs.
Providing Great Customer Service
Baggage Specailist/ Contractor (Former Employee), Dallas, TxAugust 18, 2015
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am able to locate a passengers' bag/bags', I enjoy feeling the smile coming from the customer through the phone and the joy of solving the problem. A typical day at work for me would be; taking up to 50 calls a day, and making at least 10-20 customers' smile feeling appreciated for being a customer.
Professional and freindly environmemt
Structures Engineering Intern (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 13, 2015
Pros: Environment
Cons: Pay
Casual and professional environment. Management was easy going and a pleasure to work with. Hours were flexible with co-workers willing to assist in all necessary ways. Friendly environment was a joy to work in
working outside is terrible in chicago winters
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 10, 2015
flying free and shift trading are the only good things about this job. working in the hot sun and the freezing cold is the worst. the airport never closes so holidays off is nothing but a dream.
Airline experience and fun place to work
Quality Analyst /Tester (Former Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 10, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management.I was working as QA tester(Manual).I enjoyed my part of the job.It helped me grow and develop my personality.
Very different from what I expected.
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Dallas, TXAugust 8, 2015
Pros: Industry leading pay
Cons: Odd shifts and days off
Came in at a time when the company was undergoing major changes in its culture and philosophy. Southwest was founded on the principle of putting employees first, but it is shifting its emphasis toward one that places shareholder and investor interests above all else. A major merger with another airline was also underway at the time I hired in, and that has contributed to the cultural changes.

I work with a good group of fellow aircraft mechanics who genuinely look out for one another. We have blend of really good supervisors who are highly respected along with some who don't have any business being in any kind of management position whatsoever.

There is no typical day. Each day poses its own set of challenges which is good. That's the enjoyable part. It's not an assembly line. The hardest part of the job is working in cramped spaces and in adverse weather conditions.
Fortune 500, Best Company to Work
Field Instructor (Current Employee), Oakland, CAAugust 4, 2015
Southwest is a great company, with great opportunity for growth and development. Ample opportunity for lateral and upward movement and growth.
Great work experience
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Raleigh NCJuly 30, 2015
Great Company to work for. I was a very happy employee. I worked for Southwest for over 14 years. I hope to find another company to work for that was as great as this.
Love/Hate Relationship
Customer Support Representative (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 29, 2015
Pros: co-workers
Cons: free flights and profit sharing
Southwest is one of the best companies I have worked for.

The hardest part of the job is customers who choose to be argumentative because they do not like a policy that Southwest currently has in place.

It also makes it hard to have a social life when you do not know if you are going to work 8, 10, or 12 hours a day. There are certain times of the year where it is same day overtime.
flexible work place
Customer Care Supervisor (Former Employee), Little Rock, ARJuly 22, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: pay
The flight benefits are great,but the pay is not very good. You bid for schedules, so seniority is very important. You can switch days off easily and take days off without pay if the call center is slow.
An environment that utlizes fun to promote outstanding customer service.
Sales Supervisor - Team Leader to 23 agents (Former Employee), Oklahoma City, OKJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Benefits
Cons: None
Not before or since have I worked with a company that sincerely cares for its employees - top to bottom. Truly one of the few companies that understand that the survival of a company is mostly based on the care the frontline employees receive their leaders.
Great company
Maintenance Material Stores Intern (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Fun place to be. Friendly atmosphere.
Cons: Difficult to get hired onto the company.
Southwest Airlines is a great company to work for. The culture of the company is very fun, loving and laid back. I worked at HQ as an intern and the halls of each building are filled with photos and the history of Southwest. It's difficult to get hired onto the company, but once you're in, you're in.
Great Experience
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 16, 2015
Very nice. I am a hard worker with excellent work ethic. I enjoyed constantly learning and engaging with my co workers and customers.