Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

Manager Trainee
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2017
My day is fill with communications with customers and business associates. I check with customers confirming reservations, make sure they are aware of rental process, goes over policies,etc. I speak with business partners to verify availability for their customers. I make sure all cars are rental ready, I go over numbers and things that affect and effect the bottom line of branch. My job is fast and being organized helps it run smoothly. I love the way we make sure customer comes first and satisfying them in all aspects.
Most of the coworkers are decent people..
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  TexasDecember 20, 2016
All these people say how wonderful Southwest Airlines is, have never worked out on the ramp. To Southwest you are a machine and you are treated like one too. How many times I've worked an 9 or 10 hour shift with no lunch brake so many times I've lost count. It's because Southwest is to cheap to put 3 or 4 agents at a gate. It makes me sick to think all the people at headquarters,just think everything is so wonderful, I'd like to see them get there butts out on the ramp for a week and see how absolutely messed up that it is, I guarantee they wouldn't think it's a wonderful. They have supervisors, that shouldn't even be allowed to work at the company.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Pay sucks, poorly managed
Great Culture
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 23, 2016
Worked as a Flight Attendant for 9.5 years. Amazing company. Great benefits, great pay. Trading schedules is easy. You have to be able to adapt very quickly in order to survive at any airline. You never really know what any day will throw your way. As Flight Attendant, you usually work with different people every week. This can be tough for some people as you don't always get along with who you are working with. Over all, the worst part of this company is how hard it is to get hired. Most people get their foot in the door with an entry level position on the ground until they have a year of service under their belt and can transfer over to another department.
Pros
FUN!
Cons
Company Culture has changed a bit in the past few years
Place has changed for the worse
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 19, 2017
Worked for the company ten years ago and it was the best place to work all around loved it. Had a family emergency out of state so i had to move and leave the job. Returned to new management and the company has went downhill and is catching momentum. Work moral all over the states is down and people are leaving like crazy. Sad to say such a good place went down hill under the new leadership.
Pros
benifits
Cons
moral
Nice place to work
Security Director (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 14, 2017
Responsible for physical safety and security of mall customers, employees, and property. Responsible for creating and implementing security programs that fit the requirements of the mall environment with specific attention to various internal investigations. Supervised 40 officers and five lieutenants to ensure adherence to all laws, ordinances, and policies.
Pros
Nice place to work
Cons
N/A
Fun place to work
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 8, 2016
Great place to work, you work hard but the pay is great
Get to meet new people from different places
Get to work with different people
Work on different aircrafts
Travel to different places and enjoy different cities domestically and internationally
The hardest part is time changes on the body it makes for sleep deprivation
But if you want different and sometimes unpredictable this is a job for you
Flexibility in scheduling is great
Pros
Free air travel, pay and benefits
Cons
Can be a challenge health wise
Fun place to work, great culture
RAMP AGENT (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 20, 2016
Fun company to work for with a great culture. The employees are your brothers and sisters. Challenging at times and very fast paced around the holidays.
Pros
pay, union, benefits
Cons
Work life balance, If they call you and physically speak to you over the phone on your day off, it is mandatory that you work. You will get a lot of mandatory time, If you were supposed to get off at 5, you will be there until 130 AM
A great company with a lot of love for their employees
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKDecember 8, 2016
Southwest is a great company to work for. They have a great culture of fun, and show a lot of support for their employees. The call center environment is a bit rough, but if you can get your foot in the door there, there are numerous opportunities for growth
Pros
Fun overall company culture
Cons
Oklahoma City Call Center leadership needs some work
overall good enviroment
TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXOctober 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working at SWACU. it has it's issues like everywhere else but the benefits and perks outweigh most of the bad. Accountability among management and advancement opportunities were the only reasons I even left. If the managers had held their employees accountable or been held responsible for their employees I probably would still be there. Dress code and hours can't be beat. Overall atmosphere is wonderful, just those few bad apples that ruin the bunch.
An awesome place to be!
Operations Agent (Current Employee) –  New Orleans, LAOctober 23, 2016
After trying for several years I was offered a position with Southwest. The recruiting process is somewhat long and drawn out but well worth the time and wait in the end. The company has such a great culture where everyone truly cares about each other and the customers. You are rewarded for accomplishments and paid above the industry average for an entry level position. I should have been here 10 years ago but now that I am here I will be here until retirement.
Pros
Company culture, opportunity for advancement, Great co-workers
Cons
Everything seniority based so starting off at the bottom for all scheduling such as days off, hours worked, and vacation.
Fun place to work
Corporate Health and Wellness Intern (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 7, 2016
Fun place to work but limited advancement opportunities. Great co-workers. Need better management skills, little time for training. There are fun activities to do but if the activities are done during the day, the work still needs to get done. Which means you are then working from home or overtime hours that do not count as overtime if you are a salary employee.
LUV this company!!
Customer Service Agent (Current Employee) –  East Boston, MAOctober 5, 2016
This company has a fantastic Culture and CORE values. I have worked for many airlines that boast a "family" camaraderie however this airline walks it's talk !!! Training received and Management availability is second to none - Southwest is the best !
Pros
Management always available, room for advancement wonderful work environment, truly invests in it's employees
Cons
Starting pay is too low for a person with a family to support
Worst experience ever
Aircraft Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2016
They start you out in Dallas for two weeks paperwork training. Told time and time again that there's no hazing ( because probies or newhires have zero recourse or protection from abuse or harrassment). After that you're on your own. No aircraft training whatsoever. Expected to teach yourself the job and do it better than unioned mechanics. Some of the worst maintenance I've seen in 15+ years. Dallas seemed to keep boasting that they are fined more because they are more successful. BS they earn every penny of every fine. Their "probation" is nothing more than a popularity contest and an excuse to demean and harrass better mechanics than they are.
Pros
No longer there
Cons
No training. No lawfully required lunches or breaks. Supervisors are nothing but ringleaders.
Field recruiting.
Sr. Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 12, 2016
85% travel throughout the Southeast Region to include Mega stations Dallas, Chicago, Orlando, Atlanta. Co workers in the field were great to work with. Hardest part of the job was in consistent travel and management that did not know how to set attainable goals
Pros
Meeting different people in at different airport locations was great
Cons
no work life balance. 14 hour days non consistant travel
maimi,fl
Middleware Admin (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLSeptember 21, 2016
• Installed and Configured WebSphere Application Server 7.1 and IBM HTTP Server 7.1 on Red hat Linux&AIX.
• Created Clusters and instances in WebSphere Network Deployment to support high availability, fail over and implemented horizontal clustering
• Installed WAS for SIT & UAT environments on AWS(MidVision Cloud).
• Deployment and troubleshooting of JAR, WAR, and EAR files in clustered environment.
• Monitoring error logs, fixing problems
Usually a fun and rewarding experience
Operations Agent (Former Employee) –  NumerousSeptember 19, 2016
My day could be fun. Other days could be very stressful. Issues that made my day very trying were bad weather, mechanical problems, air traffic control problems, passenger problems on inbound a/c, passenger problems on ground,etc. On the plus side when these issues arose I could always count on my co-workers from the various work groups to step up.
Pros
I liked how noone thought they were better than anyone else. A family.
Cons
High stress days when I had to deal with major problems where noone could help.
Configuration Manager / Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 30, 2016
Culture above all !

and because of that, employees are always happy. Leadership is keen on cutting edge technology and trust employees to be creative (within reason of course).

I LOVED working here...too bad i had to go :(
Pros
Culture, leadership, environment...what is not to love ?
Cons
Growth potential fairly limited..
Great place to work, only the select few get hired at Southwest Airlines.
Ramp Agent (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVDecember 1, 2016
Great place to work, Very physically demanding job with up most attention to detail to customer as well as fellow employees safety.

Hardest part of the job: Lifting 20K - 40Klbs of weight per shift.
Pros
Flight benefits
Cons
work schedules, working in inclement weather.
normal janitor job
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 2, 2016
you must clean everything, especially where customers can see. All garbage must be collected and thrown away. The computer monitors must be free from streaks and keyboards clean from dust. restrooms must be sterilized and resupply.
Pros
If you like working by yourself in a quiet environment. This is for you.
Cons
People can leave you nasty things in the public restrooms.
I love talking on the phone and helping people make their vacation plans.
Reservation Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 7, 2016
I loved working for Southwest Airlines. Those were the best 18 years of my life. I loved the people I worked with and the fun activities we did at work. Sometimes the work hours were long but we got compensated very well. I left at a time when my mother passed away and I could not cope at the time.
Pros
free flights, easy to work with schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5