Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews

fun place to work
Customer Service and Crew Scheduling (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJune 20, 2017
Southwest was a fun place to work. Wages were inline with other airlines. The culture of Southwest was positive with great support for advancement. Happy and secure employment.
Pros
free flights
Cons
seniority program
Great Company with great benefits
Ground Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 18, 2017
Southwest has provided some of the best perks and work family I could have ever asked for. benefits are top notch, as long as you don't mind the long hours, and occasional stress
Good company with a great culture, but...
Communications Consultant (Specialist) (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 18, 2017
Southwest is a great place to work. The company prides itself on promoting from within. If you get in early in your career and want to have a place that you can work at for 25-30 years and retire, this is the place for you.

If you are coming in at the mid or advanced stage in your career, beware. Certain teams will be wowed by your experience coming in, but disregard it all when it comes time for advancement.
Pros
Culture at HDQ is a lot of fun. Work-life balance is great.
Cons
Directors who enable bullies disguised as leaders, Advancement is slow or no depending on where you end up.
I'm a contractor here
Software Developer TEKSystems deployed (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 16, 2017
The culture here is like no other place I've worked. To start with, there is a pool table and we have team gatherings outside of work. Yes, there are places like this out there. Beat this: We have a party every Monday with a DJ, dance floor, free booze, and free food - yes every monday. I don't drink but I enjoy the fun attitude.
Fun, Loving & Educational
Reservations Customer Service Atlanta, GA (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 11, 2017
SWA is one of the best places i have worked for, the culture of the company. the people you meet customers and cohearts. They make you feel more like a family, even if you are no longer employed with them you still have cohearts keeping in contact.Everyone has a smile, very professional and polite and a fun luving spirit from start to finish. besides the airline benefits the compensation is pleasant, and growth within the company.
Pros
Work life Balance, Compensation, Advancement, Management, Job Culture
Cons
Testing Score Levels of training for reservations and 2-3 test a week
Fun and productive workplace.
Operation Agent/Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  LithicumJune 5, 2017
A typical workday at Southwest was great for me to say the least. I enjoyed what I did. I put my all into all positions I held at Southwest Airlines. I learned self control, patience, importance of safety and equipment. The culture at Southwest could use improvement, but for the most part what you put into your career is what u get out of it. Management for the most part works with individuals and helps them to accomplish their set goals. There wasn't really anything hard about the job, but on some days fatigue would settle in. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping and being kind to others. Always having a smile on your face no matter the situation, goes a long way
Nice place to work
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 5, 2017
Work culture here in southwest Airline is really good and nice place to work. With respect to the tools and technologies always on top which helps to run their business strong and good learning curve for employees as well.
Southwest
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDJune 5, 2017
Managed over 20 employees

Provided assistance with customer service

Fast Paced environment

Worked overtime ( There were times I had to stay over night and worked the next day)
Cons
The pay
Luv Southwest Airlines
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2017
I luv working here I looked forward to going to work everyday interacting with my customers & also my teammates.. when I worked here it was like the luv of my life.. Want so bad to be a part of the company again
Pros
Flying any & everywhere
Great company to work for
Ground Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJune 1, 2017
Great environment to work under. Most days are very busy running the operation to make sure all of our flights get out on-time or early so our customers arrive to their destinations on-time or early.
Great place to work.
Project Management (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 30, 2017
Its a great place to work, where employees are truly valued. Their culture is admired by most companies around the world. Plenty of growth opportunities and opportunity to learn. They have great benefits and its a fun place to work.
Southwest
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 30, 2017
It used to have a relaxed, fun culture. Now its like working in a sweatshop...crazy hours and days off, no work life balance at all. I enjoyed working with the customers and making their days better with my troubleshooting skills, however working without any benefits and never having a weekend off, or working a schedule like 7 pm to 3 am is crazy!

The most enjoyable part was improving my skills...it went all downhill from there.
Pros
improves your troubleshooting skills
Cons
short breaks, no weekends, sweatshop like atmosphere
Keep in the Union
Customer Care Representative (CCR) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 30, 2017
Great Place as long as you have the union behind you. The management stab you in the back with a smile on their face. I loved going to work every day but I watched how they treated the older employees. Sad
best job for work life balance and benefits
Ramp Agent/Baggage Handler (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMay 29, 2017
it is a great company to work for, they pay great and have unbeliveable benefits. you can choose to work as much as you want so your yearly salary verys.
Migration project
Outsourced Hardware Technician (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMay 28, 2017
Imaged over 50 PCs with Windows based proprietary software for Sales Division. Also installed 150 workstations (Monitors, PCs); installed CAT V and DVI cabling. Provided diagnostic support with for customer service team; responded to customer technical problems/issues related to hardware, software and networking. The team was supportive to each other.
Loved it!
Reservation Agent/ Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 28, 2017
Greatest company I have ever worked for. Employees have total respect for the CEO and other management. It's just a fun place to work. Plus free flights!
Pros
Free flights! Enjoy going to work.
Cons
They are no longer in our area.
Senior IT service desk Contractor
Senior IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 26, 2017
Southwest Airlines is contracting their IT departments out to Make cor which is the main company that will hire for Southwrst Airlines.
Technology wise it takes at leased one year to have a mid level understanding of the mainly home grown applications used at Southwest.
The pay is above average but benefits are limited thi includes o sick leave and no vacation time.
I learned much at this company mainly that it is driven by the employees.
A strict seperation of employees and contractors exist there is zero chance to be hired on as a employee when you were hired in the service desk field.
The company switched to a ITIL patform and it is a requiremnt to be Itil certified to work there.
Pros
Spirit party every Monday, free coffe and sodas
Cons
employees may give you bussy passes to fly free.
Oversees processing & compiling payroll
Payroll/Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 25, 2017
*deposits of cash & checks daily
*general office duties
*able to balance the tasks assigned on a daily basis.
*when I am out of balance in my cash
*the 3 months incentive passes on the company for perfect attendance.
Pros
free 30 minutes break and great health care benefits
Cons
I have no complain
Very nice
Air Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAMay 25, 2017
Great place to work it was very clean and the work environment was good the employees were friendly and management was very caring and sincere also free parking
call center is not as easy as enticipated
Customer Service and Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2017
I love the company, but the call center is not a position for me, I am a people pleaser and being on calls is not for me. I like to work directly with people.
Pros
Great company and culture
Cons
Call center hours and schedules

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southwest Airlines. Our community is ready to answer.

4.5