Southwest Airlines Employee Reviews in United States

Luv Airlines
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 18, 2016
I love working for Southwest Airlines. Very friendly and lovable airlines. They LUV the people and employees. Southwest is the best airline to work for.
I
Sr .NET Consultant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2016
Around 8+ years of experience in IT Industry covering all phases of Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) mainly into Analysis, Software Design, Development, Testing, implementation of Web based applications using Agile and Waterfall methodologies.
Productive place
Project manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 16, 2016
Learnt a lot. Was a PM handling a cross platform project with around 7-8 resources reporting to me. I was responsible for the entire SDLC
Our daily mission is to deliver Customer Service with a sense of warmth, friendliness and individual pride
Manager of Customer Service, Ground Operations (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 11, 2016
A typical day at work begins with arriving 30 mins early to greet my employees as they come in. I carefully review the flight schedule, customer loads and work assignments. I meet with the TSA to discuss staffing requirements. I ensure that all supervisors and employees are present. I monitor the work activity throughout the day, ensuring that safety, security and customer service polices are adhered to. We aim to deliver the highest quality customer service at the lowest possible expense, staying well within company budget guidelines. My fellow Managers and I collectively oversee and mange the various work areas within BWI. The most difficult (but very common!) part of my job is dealing with the unexpected, i.e. cancelled flights, weather delays, maintenance issues. The rewarding part of my job is turning a service failure into a service success!
Pros
postive colleagues, free flights!
Cons
long commute throught hectic traffic
Fantastic Internship
Safety & Security Intern (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 10, 2016
I had an absolute blast working for Southwest. The company treats its employees well and there is a strong sense of community here. Would highly recommend to others!
Pros
Free travel, deck parties, rallies, comany culture
Cons
Cliques
A company who takes it's people (and fun) very seriously.
Flight Attendant (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 5, 2016
My time as a flight attendant for Southwest Airlines was filled with excitement and adventure. To be trusted with the safety and security of approximately 200 people gave me an enormous sense of pride. I knew that Southwest would not hire anyone who did not possess a combination of both exceptional customer service skills and the ability to maintain control of the entire cabin in the event of a life-threatening emergency. At Southwest, safety and customer care are of utmost importance because providing it's passengers the best of these is how the company became one of the most successful airlines in the industry. It is a company of people who understand the need for serious attitudes toward safety, yet also understand the inherent fun and adventure that traveling provides. I feel honored to have had the experience there.
awesome fun job
Ramp Agent, McCarran Airport (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 2, 2016
this job is fun and fast pace. if you cant take the heat in the summer and the changing work schedules then this is not for you.
Fast-paced
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 2, 2016
Your typical work-day consists of working flight after flight each day, which takes a lot of energy. After working your flights you retire to a hotel in a different city each day.

I've learned how to manage in those cities alone, with limited options for meals and entertainment, therefore, getting accustomed to being alone will be a priority for you.

Management is always a phonecall away as well as co-workers being willing to share a meal or a cab with you. As long as you're on time for your assignments, you won't have any trouble from them.

Being able to travel to so many cities is enjoyable but at the same time extremely lonely. It can also become costly getting around town if you're stationed at an airport hotel with no transportation.

Overall, this job can be as exciting as you want it to be, but you may become homesick for family.
Great Company
RAMP AGENT (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 26, 2016
A great company to work for, with lots of great benefits and room for advancement and travel. The hardest part of being a ramp agent is working in extreme weather and temperatures
Pros
Free Flights, great health insurence, profit sharing, garunteed yearly raises, union
Cons
Working in extream weather.
Fun, Fast Paced Company
Employee Engagement & Travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2016
I am responsible for supporting our 50,000+ employees with maintaining their travel eligibility and answering questions regarding their travel privileges. I also negotiate agreements with our counterparts at other airlines for reciprocal leisure travel for employee travel. I maintain the online ticketing system and troubleshoot all issues, as well as serve as community leader for over 150+ member airlines using the myIDTravel system developed by Lufthansa Systems. I also am responsible for administering and maintaining several employee incentive/recognition programs for the company. I compile dashboards on a routine basis for over 15 workgroups to report on recognition efforts and trends across the company.

I have had the unique opportunity to work for a company where I've advanced from working in a warehouse environment, to an administrative assistant role, to a specialist position maintaining corporate statistics and fact sheets, to my current role supporting our employees with their travel needs. I've been extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to travel around the world for conferences and meetings.

The most difficult part of my position is dealing with technology transitions with vendors (outsourced support). We are currently in the middle of a switch over from one company to another. Whenever a system outage occurs, I immediately jump into action and contac tour technology cohearts, unfortunately some of the knowledge download was apparently lost.
Pros
travel privileges, compensation
Cons
infrequent long hours (salary)
Excellent Company
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 22, 2016
Southwest Airlines has been an incredible career. Everyday is a new day. Filled with different challenges daily. TRying to help passengers who have been effected by delays and cancellations etc. Always keeping compassion first. I always place myself in the customers position and treat them the way I would want to be treated. Everyone has a story that we don't know.
Awesome company!!!
Customer Relations Phone Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 21, 2016
Work hard play harder. Great company to work for. The culture is awesome and so are the employees. Very rewarding job.
Pros
Cons
None I can think of
Diversity
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 14, 2016
Overall a good company to work for. Great opportunity for advancement. Lots of change. Never a dull day. Annual and economic raises
Pros
Free flights, shift trades, flexibility, 401k
Cons
mandatory hours worked
Productive and fun
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 9, 2016
best job i have ever had hands down. I would make that life career. The job environment was really great. the staff and management made the job that much better.
Ramp Agent (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 4, 2016
It is a great company to work and only need good trainer during probation periods to new hire Most trainers are not at the stander of company.they just become trainer to gets SWA POINTS, they need professional training to trained the new hire and Southwest Airlines DALLAS have great training center with trainers and they warm welcome to new members.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
NEED EXPERIENCE TRAINERS TO TRAIN NEW HIRE
Work here for lifestyle... not money. And start YOUNG!
Flight Attendant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2016
Lots of people say they work at Southwest for the lifestyle... and they're absolutely right, because they're not in it for the money, at least not if they're a flight attendant.

And really, the lifestyle is only good if you don't mind being out of town for at least 3 days at a time. This job could be great for someone without advanced schooling, or someone who's single, a married empty-nester, or retired. However, this job does not reward for previous experience. Someone with lots of customer service experience is going to start at the bottom with someone fresh out of high-school, bottom pay, bottom schedule, bottom of everything.

Don't be fooled by the "per hour" pay mumbo jumbo, you're only paid when the aircraft door is closed (so you're not paid for that 2 hour delay from the raging storm outside), and you need to be at the airport an hour before the doors close when you leave for a trip. You're also scheduled to be out of town regularly (like, weekly) and you only get a couple of bucks an hour to cover expenses then.

Lots of people love this job because they love the flexibility of the lifestyle, and I'll definitely give them that. But if you're looking for money or want to be home in the evenings, don't give this job a second thought. It'll take 13 years to max out salary, and most college degrees could get you there quicker somewhere else, and get you home every night too. Not a great job for someone with kids, though many do it successfully. Job gets better and better with seniority though.
Pros
Travel Travel Travel! Flexible schedule
Cons
Out of town all the time, not paid for ground time, not paid for overnights, not great for someone with young kids
Extremely high call volumn with customer service. I enjoyed helping customers with reservations traveling around the world.
Customer Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 28, 2016
Handled customers needs to travel and any customer complaints. One of the best companies to work for and loved my co-workers. Took early retirement when they closed the Dallas office.
Pros
benifits
Cons
closing of the Dallas Reservatins office
Good
Sr. Java Developer (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 25, 2016
it is a good place to work with.it is a good place. located in pheonix, az. environment is very good. work is reasonable . management and calleage were very helpful.
Free Flights
mhCustomer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 17, 2016
Great company got to fly all over the world for free. Great culture treated the employees very well and the pay and benefits were excellent.
Pros
Free Flights
Cons
Delayed flights
fun company culture--difficult job
Customer Relations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMay 17, 2016
answering escalated phone calls from upset travelers was the hardest part of the job. by the time they got to me they were pretty upset at the situation. Although given tools to assist the day was very draining along with having to meet certain metrics on a daily basis. Co-Workers were great to work with. the company started to make changes to become a bigger player in the industry and the culture became less important than the numbers.
Pros
lots of parties, and events
Cons
became more of a numbers culture than a customer service culture

4.5